More Assetto Corsa Competizione Console Gameplay Video: Direct Capture PS4 Pro

Uh oh. Now I understand why some are nervous. Thank you for the video. I’m going to watch that ASAP

It makes me curious why a game that’s nearly 3 years newer than PC2 runs at half the frame rate.

Probably because it's a PC port and not optimised for Playstation like Gran Turismo titles.

Early on ACC wasn't advertised as coming for consoles --now it is. But have they optimised it rigorously or just ported it. Hm..

We could get into a long boring discussion about it, but it’s much easier to say physics, 5 point tire model, aerodynamic elevation simulation, the list goes on.

You are getting accurate real race data coded into a simulation.

I'm not convinced of that to be honest, I think its more about Unreal 4 which appears to be a big of a resource hog.

Surely stuff like working out correction factors for environmental factors (track temperature for example) would be CPU, not GPU?

Are these things going to be in ACC or were they in PC2?
ACC.
I also think we have to put some blame (performance wise) on the UE4 engine. As I've said before it didn't deliver the performance they thought it would.

I don’t have a gaming pc and I’m glad to get ACC on PS4 Pro. I’m totally happy with that what the video shows us. I like it and I think on PS5 we get more than 30FPS :)

I'm not sure they'd be allowed to as that would give the Pro users an unfair advantage to the Vanilla users, something I know Sony is against. I'm not sure if it's the same for XBox users though.

Edit: Just to clarify, I mean in regards to frame rates.

FPS is not just about graphics. It would give Pro players a distinct competitive advantage in multiplayer over PS 4 standard users which is not allowed by Sony regardless of developers wishes.

https://www.polygon.com/2016/9/8/12846740/playstation-pro-won-t-buy-you-much-of-an-online-advantage
PC2 is a very clear example of this not being true in reality.

On a PS4 Pro it can as near as damn it stick to 60fps, on a base PS4 is runs between 40 and 60 (and struggles to keep at 60).

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-project-cars-2-performance-analysis

Last edited:
None of that shows anything in regards to multiplayer. Please read my previous link.
It applies to multi-player. PC2 on a Pro doesn't suddenly act like its running on a base PS4 when in multi-player. I know, I have one, I've played PC2 in multi-player, it's no different.

It applies to multi-player. PC2 on a Pro doesn't suddenly act like its running on a base PS4 when in multi-player. I know, I have one, I've played PC2 in multi-player, it's no different.
Aren't both supposed to be targeted at 60 fps though. I know they're not quite even but perhaps that's how SMS have skirted the requirement, but it's not like 30 fps compared to 60 fps.

Aren't both supposed to be targeted at 60 fps though. I know they're not quite even but perhaps that's how SMS have skirted the requirement, but it's not like 30 fps compared to 60 fps.
It may be how they get around it, and I'm sure with smaller grids and/or no rain/night they are close, but having played it on both a base and a Pro its quite a bit different as soon as you throw those factors in.

It may be how they get around it, and I'm sure with smaller grids and/or no rain/night they are close, but having played it on both a base and a Pro its quite a bit different as soon as you throw those factors in.
With smaller grids (16 or less) and less demanding weather it hits a mostly locked 60fps on the base PS 4 as well according to Digital Foundry, which is probably more similar to what we'd encounter online.

Pcars 2 looks and runs like a PS3 game depending on the conditions on my standard PS4. I find it’s at it’s worst at dusk.

Expecting more or less the same from acc tbh.

Thankfully with the new consoles 30fps should be a thing of the past. Generally speaking.
Most games generally will run at 4k/30fps I think

Hopefully a lot of developers add an performance mode like Codemasters will do with DiRT 5 that will go up to 120fps

Not been on here in a while and didn't even know this was coming out for current consoles. Absolutely loved the handling of the first game even though it was lacking in other areas.

Like others have no doubt said hopefully next gen 30fps racers become a thing of the past or they just don't deserve to sell IMHO. There will always be an argument for 30fps in other games that prioritise graphics etc but not for racers. As much as admittedly I still enjoyed WRC8 and also Driveclub at 30fos.

Thankfully with the new consoles 30fps should be a thing of the past. Generally speaking.
4K/30fps will be the go to for loads of game types in the next gen. I'm 100% sure that sim games will not be in the 30fps category though!

FPS is not just about graphics. It would give Pro players a distinct competitive advantage in multiplayer over PS 4 standard users which is not allowed by Sony regardless of developers wishes.

https://www.polygon.com/2016/9/8/12846740/playstation-pro-won-t-buy-you-much-of-an-online-advantage
Borderlands 3 mulitplayer is 30fps on base PS4 and target 60fps on Pro.

Last edited by a moderator:
mef
Probably because it's a PC port and not optimised for Playstation like Gran Turismo titles.

Early on ACC wasn't advertised as coming for consoles --now it is. But have they optimised it rigorously or just ported it. Hm..

It's not even optimised on PC properly, something I think is more the fault of UE than Kunos. Honestly I wish Kunos had taken the time to further develop their AC1 engine rather than do a shortcut with an off the shelf, do it all, generic engine.

This really shows in VR. AC1 is absolutely smooth in VR, ACC is a complete mess of low res graphics and unstable frame rates, and this is coming from somebody who has an overclocked 9900K and overclocked 2080 Ti rig bordering on 8 times the cost of what the PS5 is reportedly going to sell at.

Last edited:
That's what they said about PS4 and XBox One.

Yeah, give a game developer more compute power and they'll make stuff that you'll never really notice, like leaves on trees, more intricate rather than up the frame rate.

I honestly do wonder if game developers actually do game.

ACC uses an advanced verion of AC1 physics, which means it's even more demanding on the CPU than AC1. Yet Kunos managed to increase max AI to 20 while also squeezing dynamic weather and dynamic Time of Day in the game. Also the console optimization helped to increase the AI limit for the PC version to 50 cars. Quite an improvement if you ask me

Has anybody seen a nice clear bright day yet on these videos, all im seeing is gloomy, dark horrible looking videos....

Most of it's in Europe, meaning sunny days are maybe one or two a year. As it's a sim I'd say that aspect is quite realistic.

ACC uses an advanced verion of AC1 physics, which means it's even more demanding on the CPU than AC1. Yet Kunos managed to increase max AI to 20 while also squeezing dynamic weather and dynamic Time of Day in the game. Also the console optimization helped to increase the AI limit for the PC version to 50 cars. Quite an improvement if you ask me

Well, no. The AI was optimised to allow 50 AI cars on the PC version to enable a realistic endurance grid. This optimisation paid off in allowing consoles to have 20 cars.

However the AI in ACC is, well, disappointing. They don't really race, rather they "train up". After the first 2 laps there'll be little or no change in race order. Also they give up way to easily as you pass them, they don't try to defend at all. There's no door handle to door handle stuff like there was in the original AC, which in my opinion still makes the original AC the more immersive of the two.

Well, no. The AI was optimised to allow 50 AI cars on the PC version to enable a realistic endurance grid. This optimisation paid off in allowing consoles to have 20 cars.

However the AI in ACC is, well, disappointing. They don't really race, rather they "train up". After the first 2 laps there'll be little or no change in race order. Also they give up way to easily as you pass them, they don't try to defend at all. There's no door handle to door handle stuff like there was in the original AC, which in my opinion still makes the original AC the more immersive of the two.

That's wrong. The devs said it themselves.
Also I disagree about the AI. The AI in AC1 shows pretty much the same behaviour you described in my experience (PC Versions)

It's not even optimised on PC properly, something I think is more the fault of UE than Kunos. Honestly I wish Kunos had taken the time to further develop their AC1 engine rather than do a shortcut with an off the shelf, do it all, generic engine.

This really shows in VR. AC1 is absolutely smooth in VR, ACC is a complete mess of low res graphics and unstable frame rates, and this is coming from somebody who has an overclocked 9900K and overclocked 2080 Ti rig bordering on 8 times the cost of what the PS5 is reportedly going to sell at.

It seems that this is the crux of it, its not "out dated hardware" or some physics engine which is heavily more resource intensive than any other physics engine in any other game, it comes down to Unreal 4 being a hog on the graphics side.

I wonder if Unreal 5 has been improved performance wise or they've just turned the wick up and its still a bit of a porker to run...

I don't understandf how the AI can be worse than AC1. Can anyone confirm what settings the AI are in these videos? EVen someone playing ACC right now on pc, how can it be follow the leader when the AI are pretty quick?

Back