More damage graphics

Windows cracking was shown from a tidbit of one of the GT5 trailers. Door coming off, bumper falling, and hood falling off are already possible with the Rally cars. I assume with all this, it might be possible with regular, premium cars. I don't know anything about license or whatever.

The thing about damage to me, is that it shouldn't be over glorified just for the sake of having damage.

Doors coming off and windshield cracks are cool, but I'd rather have turbo, suspension, and brake failures. Tire flats and headlights burning out randomly. Something that makes racers who drive carefully a challenge in a realistic way.

The thing about damage to me, is that it shouldn't be over glorified just for the sake of having damage.

Doors coming off and windshield cracks are cool, but I'd rather have turbo, suspension, and brake failures. Tire flats and headlights burning out randomly. Something that makes racers who drive carefully a challenge in a realistic way.

Would love to see the headlights burn out at night during an endurance race.

Yea that would be pretty cool. Like slowly dim and fizzle out. Oooh, maybe even fire. Engine coolant runs out and it starts smoking and whatnot.

I think some of the cars in GT5 are capable of more good damage, they are just stuck on the car too tight, if they decreased the amount of force to create damage to about 50% less and that I think should be somewhat realistic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hDEaWAEYUs

skip to 1:34

Edit: They may even have the damage model turned down so more of the PS3s processing power can go towards the physics...

👍👍👍👍👍👍

The visual damage not being realistic enough SHOULDN'T be an issue while the mechanical side of it should be. A lot of us would only like to have full damage in GT without sacrificing how realistic the driving/racing is. This is coming from someone who doesn't race seriously.

I think some of the cars in GT5 are capable of more good damage, they are just stuck on the car too tight, if they decreased the amount of force to create damage to about 50% less and that I think should be somewhat realistic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hDEaWAEYUs

skip to 1:34

Edit: They may even have the damage model turned down so more of the PS3s processing power can go towards the physics...
There are some cars with somewhat deep damage, but taking the damage to a higher level than that would be tough obviously. Part of the problem is with the licensing, another reason is that it's fixed individually for each car (which will have to change in the future), but I actually wouldn't doubt how the performance of all of GT5 is affected due to the PS3's limitations. The really noticeable screen tearing and frame rate drops when multiple cars are bunched up in a small, zoomed-in replay camera shot or when you're in the pack during gameplay are the obvious indications of that. Although it's less noticeable on higher end tv's, tearing happens at almost every turn of the wheel.

Yamauchi began to speak, first concerning the portable version of Gran Turismo, GTPSP. The first thing mentioned is that it was a challenge to develop something as big as a GT for a machine so small. They had to redesign many aspects of the game, and come up with new methodologies to take advantage of the technology of the handheld.
Let's keep this in mind. And keep in mind that they only had the full year out of six where they weren't working on GT PSP (or Tourist Trophy which was visually superior to GT4, although the PS2 couldn't handle more than four bikes at once) during GT5's development.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back