More on GT Sport Single Player, Scapes and Social Functions

I wonder if it will let you win those credits multiple times over - or if they'll just do like GT 6 and give the cash payout one time only.

most likely "one-timers", cause prizes do stack up to that final amount... :/
but let's wait and see :)đź‘Ť

Still... so far I feel that getting good amounts of Cr. in single player mode is impossible. But yeah, let's wait and see.

Offline mode looks really boring. These details imply to me that it's more-or-less a glorified "License Test" mode reminiscent of the boring "career" mode of Assetto Corsa, just with the addition of GT Credits.

With a career mode designed like this I'm not entirely sure I will find much incentive to play because part of the joy of the career mode in Gran Turismo to me was starting from almost nothing and working toward completing the higher level championships.

I do hope I'm wrong and that career mode here offers some enjoyment.

Last edited:
"Single player" is basically a custom race. I'm more inclined to believe the last option allows you to create Custom Championships.
Regardless of inclination or belief, it says "Custom Race":
It says "Custom Race".
The last one is custom race
I mean, technically it literally says "Kasutamurēsu", but that's how you'd write "Custom Race" in katakana.

Single player, you can choose just the difficulty no ?

If it works like previous games in the series, then yes. Though I don't get why being able to tweak further settings is different from single race if it is just going to end up being one race.

Maybe you will get more Cr. for different tracks and more laps.
You also can win cars

The Daily Workout returns from the Beta so this could be another way to earn cars.

On another note - I'll miss the proper Single Player mode. Credits were fun to grind for but I guess we'll be doing almost all of it online since they really are doubling down on it.

I'm purchasing the Collector's Edition so the 2.5M Cr. and the plethora of free cars will come in handy as a nice start. I'd still rather earn them the old way though!

As a kid, I dreamed of every car in the 6 car gt races being another human. AI was a stop gap due to the tech available at the time.

With GTSport, we now have a career mode where every other car is a human, everyone is out to win, unlike AI which is designed to be beaten. The offline portion is just to get you up to speed before you race your first sunday cup vs the world. I can't wait!

Possibly off-topic because I don't know how GT Sport's single player fits into this yet, but:

With this trend thats been goin on with racing games lately (all cars and tracks unlocked from the start

IMO an excellent, long overdue trend that means I can jump straight to the content I enjoy most, instead of having to spend time on content I enjoy less, or don't at all. Which, for me, means more fun.

Now I'm not saying racing games shouldn't have a good sense of progression in their single player modes - the exact opposite in fact. I really wish for racing games to have more ambitious, dynamic and deeper careers than the very familiar "forced to start with a dustbin and work your way through a fixed, mostly linear list of races" affair we're so used to. But I think part of doing that involves giving the player greater choice.

PCARS understands this - it has a progression system, and a set of accolades and goals it sets for you, but you can start wherever you please within that system. It has its own limitations and isn't very well presented, but the fundamentals are there. The F1 games understand this - you have a free choice of team, and your objectives adjust accordingly. Assetto Corsa doesn't fully understand this - it's "career" almost literally is just a linear list of events - but with its custom championships you can do whatever the heck you want, with a bit of setup work (and imagination).

Sports games have understood this for yonks. In FIFA if I want to take some crap Conference team to the Premier League I can, but I don't have to. Imagine if you started up franchise mode in Madden and it said "sorry buddy, you gotta start with the Browns.........don't worry, you can unlock your favourite team at level 54 though!". No thanks.

It's probably also worth saying that none of this stuff is a substitute for the actual racing/driving being fun.......at least, I couldn't imagine myself wanting to play a racing game just for the sake of unlocking things, using whatever arbitrary points/credits system the game happens to have. Likewise, before AC on console got custom championships I still had lots of fun doing single races, because the driving experience was that good. Well, at least with the cars I wanted to drive; I don't know what it's like with the cars I didn't want to drive...........and hopefully I never will!

Possibly off-topic because I don't know how GT Sport's single player fits into this yet, but:

IMO an excellent, long overdue trend that means I can jump straight to the content I enjoy most, instead of having to spend time on content I enjoy less, or don't at all. Which, for me, means more fun.

Now I'm not saying racing games shouldn't have a good sense of progression in their single player modes - the exact opposite in fact. I really wish for racing games to have more ambitious, dynamic and deeper careers than the very familiar "forced to start with a dustbin and work your way through a fixed, mostly linear list of races" affair we're so used to. But I think part of doing that involves giving the player greater choice.

PCARS understands this - it has a progression system, and a set of accolades and goals it sets for you, but you can start wherever you please within that system. It has its own limitations and isn't very well presented, but the fundamentals are there. The F1 games understand this - you have a free choice of team, and your objectives adjust accordingly. Assetto Corsa doesn't fully understand this - it's "career" almost literally is just a linear list of events - but with its custom championships you can do whatever the heck you want, with a bit of setup work (and imagination).

Sports games have understood this for yonks. In FIFA if I want to take some crap Conference team to the Premier League I can, but I don't have to. Imagine if you started up franchise mode in Madden and it said "sorry buddy, you gotta start with the Browns.........don't worry, you can unlock your favourite team at level 54 though!". No thanks.

It's probably also worth saying that none of this stuff is a substitute for the actual racing/driving being fun.......at least, I couldn't imagine myself wanting to play a racing game just for the sake of unlocking things, using whatever arbitrary points/credits system the game happens to have. Likewise, before AC on console got custom championships I still had lots of fun doing single races, because the driving experience was that good. Well, at least with the cars I wanted to drive; I don't know what it's like with the cars I didn't want to drive...........and hopefully I never will!

I like more the approach of dirt rally's career mode..

Car and tracks where unlocked from start in all the game except career mode...

In career mode you win,earn money and have to buy cars and upgrades, also hire mechanics that benefits you in the closed park.
The hardest sections (tracks) unlocked themselves when you achieved to go on a higher difficult level wining the rally with an football league system...
You win? Up to new difficult level, Mid table you stay where you are, last position, you get down to a lower difficult level...

Was a real good career mode!

About the GT sport career.... Well,bye bye classic GT mode...
It's quite sad for the people that doesn't like much play online or don't want to pay PS Plus... (i know quite some people like that) ...

About "custom race" in arcade mode.. I expect it will be more or less like the custom race of GT6 arcade mode.

Hopefuly the AI improve a lot of what is been seen in the EEUU beta on highest difficulty level... Because otherwise not even a "Offline custom race" will be fun.

That in the normal Online lobbies the rating system don't gonna work and only let the option of a minimum driver level requirement is also a bit sad...
Because "Sport mode" where the rating system will work gonna be races available on certain hours and days trough a calendar... (a bit like what we got in the beta)

Scapes seems a nice extra for photography fans..

It is a bit disappointing there really isn't much of a campaign so to speak, ideally a full career style mode would have been great. Just because it has a 'Sport' focus doesn't mean it has to fall mainly in a online multiplayer setting.

A full career with good AI and proper progression with classes but still encouraging good driving with the SR rating system, would still fit the sport banner equally well.

Most of the UI design is very good in my view, but a few things still bug me here and there. Most notably I don't like the gold, silver, bronze awards. They look out of place and kinda ugly. (A gold disco ball... what the hell?)

GPR
It is a bit disappointing there really isn't much of a campaign so to speak, ideally a full career style mode would have been great. Just because it has a 'Sport' focus doesn't mean it has to fall mainly in a online multiplayer setting.

A full career with good AI and proper progression with classes but still encouraging good driving with the SR rating system, would still fit the sport banner equally well.

Indeed. While PD has been very up-front about the esport focus of GT Sport, it's not like it's the only game launching this fall with that in mind. FM7 and PCARS2 will both have esport features as well, but I think we'll find neither has a severely shortened offline career because of it.

Some folks are pointing to Arcade Mode as a solution. It's just not the same thing. Being able to create your own races (if indeed we can) will be a welcome feature, no doubt. But is that what every casual player wants — to have to create their own races? How about custom, multi-race championships, with a points structure? How about any sense of progression outside of license tests? I believe both approaches have their place.

On the plus side, if Arcade Mode is adopting Forza's usual approach of having all cars available there — but as "rentals" — that's awesome. 👍

Most of the UI design is very good in my view, but a few things still bug me here and there. Most notably I don't like the gold, silver, bronze awards. They look out of place and kinda ugly. (A gold disco ball... what the hell?)

I find the UI visually appealing, but from a usability approach it's just all over the map (quite literally, really). The insistence on a cursor is a strange carryover from the first GT. Having thousands of hours experience with the franchise means I find my bearings quite quickly, but there's a lot of info on screen on some menus that must make way-finding a pain for those less well-versed.

Indeed. While PD has been very up-front about the esport focus of GT Sport, it's not like it's the only game launching this fall with that in mind. FM7 and PCARS2 will both have esport features as well, but I think we'll find neither has a severely shortened offline career because of it.

Some folks are pointing to Arcade Mode as a solution. It's just not the same thing. Being able to create your own races (if indeed we can) will be a welcome feature, no doubt. But is that what every casual player wants — to have to create their own races? How about custom, multi-race championships, with a points structure? How about any sense of progression outside of license tests? I believe both approaches have their place.

On the plus side, if Arcade Mode is adopting Forza's usual approach of having all cars available there — but as "rentals" — that's awesome. 👍

I find the UI visually appealing, but from a usability approach it's just all over the map (quite literally, really). The insistence on a cursor is a strange carryover from the first GT. Having thousands of hours experience with the franchise means I find my bearings quite quickly, but there's a lot of info on screen on some menus that must make way-finding a pain for those less well-versed.
Hopefully PD will add a range of single player championships at a later date via game updates.

View attachment 663601
I guess this is the difficulty selection?

nhBCcGY.png

As others have said I think it needs a single player campaign as well. Of course it does. Infact it will seem rather lacking without it and completely out of place especially in the face of the competition.

I prefer playing mainly offline and hot lapping, taking part in seasonals, with the odd online race here and there. I'm sure I'm not alone in this thought. I feel it will turn players away off without a decent offline experience.

I'm still curious what the money and, now, what the XP/Level system is going to be for. Other than PSN Trophies, of course. There's nothing I can see that would require you to spend money, and I can only guess that XP/Level is a formality that halts progress in the 'campaign' - the Race Etiquette section has been greyed out in the videos we've seen, perhaps requiring a higher level to unlock?

The fact that the offline segment awards you with cars and the daily marathon - which in the beta awarded you cars for the Sport Mode - also makes me think that you're not going to start off with any vehicles except maybe a starter car or three.

I'm still curious what the money and, now, what the XP/Level system is going to be for. Other than PSN Trophies, of course. There's nothing I can see that would require you to spend money, and I can only guess that XP/Level is a formality that halts progress in the 'campaign' - the Race Etiquette section has been greyed out in the videos we've seen, perhaps requiring a higher level to unlock?

The fact that the offline segment awards you with cars and the daily marathon - which in the beta awarded you cars for the Sport Mode - also makes me think that you're not going to start off with any vehicles except maybe a starter car or three.

Credits are used to buy cars, it has been shown they have millionaire prices, and you'll need them unless races have an assigned car.
And the beta progression for "daily marathon -> prize" had cars every day, but with customization like helmets, clothes, decals, and rewards like credits, mileage points and XP, we just may see a variation of those daily. It's normal practice for daily reward systems.

And the career mode awards you with cars as well for gold/silver.

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::lol:

The pointer is just selection highlighting if you are not interacting with a mouse (or the touchpad on PS4), you know, just like pointers have done in centuries as it is their function. All menus are either horizontally or vertically aligned. It's all up and down, left and right on the directional pad or analog stick.
I can't even begin to pretend GTS is hard to navigate or has bad interface ergonomics since it's as standard as standard gets.

Only a 12% increase in credits & experience awarded from Beginner to Professional difficulty seems a bit odd.

At what number does it stop being odd?

And the career mode awards you with cars as well for gold/silver.
Uh-huh.
The fact that the offline segment awards you with cars
Credits are used to buy cars
[Citation needed]
I've not seen any dealership screens. I've seen Brand Central, but the cars don't have any prices:

brandcentral.jpg

If gold and silver award cars in addition to bronze, the licence and mission sections will give 42 cars, with more for the circuit experience and etiquette sections, plus one a day (or more - maybe there's different milestone figures) for the driving marathon. Even if credits are used to buy cars - which I don't recall seeing any evidence of - who'd need to? There's not that many cars.

So the questions remain. What are credits and the XP/Level system for in GT Sport?

Back