More opponents to come in VR mode?

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I'm sure this has been asked many times, but here goes..
Has there been any hint from anyone at Polyphony that they will release a patch and up the number of opponents in VR race mode ?
Thanks

Nope, nadda, nothing :grumpy:

Although, in fairness, adding more poor AI would make the usefulness of the current VR worse...

There has been mention of time trial coming in the future (I think).

I've been back to Driveclub VR and racing against AI is not worth the bother, so adding more AI to GTS would be a waste of time IMO.

I've only just ventured in to Dirt Rally online rallyx and it is awesome. Probably the best and clearest racing against humans experience I've had in PSVR

Nope, nadda, nothing :grumpy:

Although, in fairness, adding more poor AI would make the usefulness of the current VR worse...

There has been mention of time trial coming in the future (I think).

I've been back to Driveclub VR and racing against AI is not worth the bother, so adding more AI to GTS would be a waste of time IMO.

I've only just ventured in to Dirt Rally online rallyx and it is awesome. Probably the best and clearest racing against humans experience I've had in PSVR

Did you also find the online matchmaking on DriveClub VR non-existent? I couldn't ever find anybody in there!

If they have a game where I can track race online vs 6/7+ opponents I don't think I'd go out much lol

yep online matchmaking driveclub is painful, I do have a PSN friend who is always on it though and has several other guys, I should send you a suggested friend request when I'm at my PS4. I've forgotten the tracks so I'm so far off their pace.

Dirt rally had full rooms in all but one race I did at the weekend, even split in to a couple of different heats.

Pretty sure there was an article where Kaz mentioned that time trial mode would be added to VR.. no date was given (typical Kaz style)

I don't have VR but it is something I would consider if more games have good VR Support. It's a real shame that VR is so limited in this game, especially compared to how good VR seems to be on iRacing, Assetto Corsa and even Project Cars 2 on PC. Or even Driveclub and DiRT Rally on PS4

I hope VR can be expanded to cover some other single player aspects soon.

Kaz already mentioned that he isn't happy with the technical capability of PSVR, and its significantly hampered by the power of the PS4.

Compared to VR on PC, whereby the hardware is a lot more powerful its no wonder games on that platform have far better VR capability and content than PS4.

Kaz needs to swallow his pride and use PS2 models for the cars in VR and let me play sport mode in VR. The ps4 is plenty capable of that, yet not with bazillion polygons for each car, which you can't see anyway with the low resolution.

Oh well as long as he gets the right shade or red, priorities!

Did you also find the online matchmaking on DriveClub VR non-existent? I couldn't ever find anybody in there!

If they have a game where I can track race online vs 6/7+ opponents I don't think I'd go out much lol

The only times I succeeded was on a Friday or Saturday night. You have to keep trying until you get in the 'loop' with some people. Races start far too often in DC VR online, can't tell which races people are in and when they will come back out. Once you find the right room you can race them multiple times. It's fun in VR, just frustrating getting a match.

Kaz needs to swallow his pride and use PS2 models for the cars in VR and let me play sport mode in VR. The ps4 is plenty capable of that, yet not with bazillion polygons for each car, which you can't see anyway with the low resolution.

Oh well as long as he gets the right shade or red, priorities!
Yea. I don't have a ps4. Was gonna get one just for GT sport vr. But one opponent just doesn't cut it.
The resolution is low enough on vr that I agree, ps3 or ps2 car graphics could be used then at least we could race against a grid of cars.
Think I might just get vr for pc instead.

What we need is real opponents. online 1v1 VR would be awesome. I wish we could at least have that to start with.

But that's what it is, just a wish.

Nothing has been announced as of late regarding VR in GT Sport.

Well, how about this - a PS4 pro is much cheaper than a VR ready PC, but there arent enough VR games for it yet. Any chance Project Cars, Assetto, etc getVr treatment? Or is it the same problem - not enough GPU power in the PS4?

Yep same problem, not enough power. I would die for a PS4 game with smooth cartoon graphics and great car physics. This quest for real life graphics is unnecessary for VR imo.

I've been having a look into building/buying a VR PC, I just don't think that the grass is as green as expected on PC VR driving.
Yes it's clearer and has more cars on track, but the cost difference and quality of game support isn't enough for me to pull the trigger... yet, maybe next year or 2020.

Spending the best part of 2.5k to get a PC with i7 and GTX 1080 Ti and 32gb ram and a vive or rift, and still have to turn the graphics down or not have proper menus..

Kaz already mentioned that he isn't happy with the technical capability of PSVR, and its significantly hampered by the power of the PS4.

Compared to VR on PC, whereby the hardware is a lot more powerful its no wonder games on that platform have far better VR capability and content than PS4.

...do you really believe everything he says? I am pretty sure he knew very well that PS4 wasn't capable of any good VR support in GTS.

However, I'd like to see possibility to use VR headset on normal races, don't care if it doesn't show the 3D, at least interior view and lack of FoV would be compensated by this...

...do you really believe everything he says? I am pretty sure he knew very well that PS4 wasn't capable of any good VR support in GTS.

However, I'd like to see possibility to use VR headset on normal races, don't care if it doesn't show the 3D, at least interior view and lack of FoV would be compensated by this...

I don't believe everything but it's clear that VR isn't high up on GT Sport improvement list.

It would divert resources that are required elsewhere to help the game grow.

Personally I'm happy that we have at least some sort of VR mode.

Games like project cars and assetto Corsa don't even have the feature on PS4 and they do on PC

Yep same problem, not enough power. I would die for a PS4 game with smooth cartoon graphics and great car physics. This quest for real life graphics is unnecessary for VR imo.

I've been having a look into building/buying a VR PC, I just don't think that the grass is as green as expected on PC VR driving.
Yes it's clearer and has more cars on track, but the cost difference and quality of game support isn't enough for me to pull the trigger... yet, maybe next year or 2020.

Spending the best part of 2.5k to get a PC with i7 and GTX 1080 Ti and 32gb ram and a vive or rift, and still have to turn the graphics down or not have proper menus..

With that in mind, maybe its worth getting PS4 VR for now, and waiting a few more years until the PC VR's run in better resolution to justify the price.
Reasonable but not great VR on the PS4 may actually be the wisest choice at present after all.

^Yes, my thoughts exactly.
I think you can get the same/similar VR experience on PC without a top end graphics or processor and have multi car racing with graphics on minimum, but I haven't been convinced it is such a huge leap from PSVR to justify the cost and PC hassle, compared to switching on PS4 and turning on PSVR and being ready to drive.

Add me-psn bloodsugar6magic(and anyone else who plays DCVR).I play most days and have a dozen or so friends who regularly do multiplayer so it's not too tough to get a decent lobby.

I sign in for driveclub VR too, just bought the VR version with the 15€ promotion, haven't started the game yet but being able to play vs other online players in VR sounds great

Good work guys, kaz obviously saw this thread and shoehorned it in at the last minute with the latest update

:D:D:D:D
Hold your horses... at leaaaaaaast ! at least, not at last.
He's hoping, and we are all hoping he's right, but nothing is confirmed yet or when.

Will it be similar to normal non-VR time trial i.e. solo leaderboards and choice of any car/track combo?

I'd prefer some channeling of players to specific weekly combos to increase the social and competitive aspect, as playing VR can feel incredibly lonely at times when the first rush wears off.

Time Trial at least in VR ! This is a good news, and PD are working in the good direction.

For the OP : The PS4 (standard) doesn't seem powerful enough to display more than 2 cars at a time. Remember that for VR, the console has to produce 1080p90 or even 1080p120 (I don't know wich mode is used for GT Sport) instead of 1080p60 so compromises have been made.

The sad part about that is that the PS4 Pro is really more powerful (2.5 times faster than the vanilla PS4) and it can probably handle a whole grid of cars and even the full game IMO. But from what I can see Sony only authorize the PS4 Pro to enhance graphically a game (4K, antialiasing, 60fps, HDR...) but a game cannot have Pro only features... (I didn't see any example of that, have you ?) I could have bought a PS4 Pro only for GT Sport if the game has included good Pro VR features.

playing VR can feel incredibly lonely at times
You are so true, what we really need now is (and is really easy to achieve) :
- VR drive : let us select opponent car and AI level, number of laps, those parameters already exist in custom races
- Lobby VR : 1 vs 1, it could be a simple option in the lobby...

Please PD ! You've made an excellent work with VR in this game, just give us the features it deserve <3

Last edited:
Just bought another PSVR (bought one when they first came out, kept for two weeks and sold it for more than I paid) and I must say I was a lot more impressed with GT Sport than I was Driveclub. I got in my old MR2 and it looked exactly like my old MR2 and everything didn't turn into a watercolour mush like Driveclub did.

I'd forgotten the feeling of VR sickness though. Had to give it a rest after 30 virtual miles.

Just downloaded Trinus as well, so I'll see if my PC which is underspecced for a Rift or Hive can run the PSVR with its lower resolution.

Back