More Updates Coming is Confirmed.

As is the way with rumours, they soon gather some credibility through being repeated over and over, and I'm possibly just going to add to that, but here goes:

I can understand people's concern and frustration when they say it's been 6 months, and we still haven't had Private Rooms (going by PAL release of course...). It seems, compared to the rest of Prologue, to be quite a trivial feature to add, and something that would indeed solve so many problems / gripes.

One can only assume that it's been kept back for a good reason. I don't think it's KY seeking perfection in this particular instance, as I think 'perfecting' something like private rooms isn't too difficult for a team like PD.

I've read it a couple of times now, and seen 'those pictures' and can't help but like the idea that it's because of Home that we're having to wait so much for something so simple. Home has been delayed over and over, and having Prologue's private rooms integrated within Home would be such an impressive feature (even if the novelty wore off in a week) that I can see how KY would wait.

Equally, it could be contractual. Sony may have PD over a barrel, that their online features must work within home, and as such, they can't release them until Home is out. This also goes some way to explaining the complete silence on the subject, as PD can't bad mouth Sony's developers for taking too long on Home...

Just my .02, but I'm sure the 'It's because of Home' theory is going to continue to gather weight :)

As is the way with rumours, they soon gather some credibility through being repeated over and over, and I'm possibly just going to add to that, but here goes:

I can understand people's concern and frustration when they say it's been 6 months, and we still haven't had Private Rooms (going by PAL release of course...). It seems, compared to the rest of Prologue, to be quite a trivial feature to add, and something that would indeed solve so many problems / gripes.

One can only assume that it's been kept back for a good reason. I don't think it's KY seeking perfection in this particular instance, as I think 'perfecting' something like private rooms isn't too difficult for a team like PD.

I've read it a couple of times now, and seen 'those pictures' and can't help but like the idea that it's because of Home that we're having to wait so much for something so simple. Home has been delayed over and over, and having Prologue's private rooms integrated within Home would be such an impressive feature (even if the novelty wore off in a week) that I can see how KY would wait.

Equally, it could be contractual. Sony may have PD over a barrel, that their online features must work within home, and as such, they can't release them until Home is out. This also goes some way to explaining the complete silence on the subject, as PD can't bad mouth Sony's developers for taking too long on Home...

Just my .02, but I'm sure the 'It's because of Home' theory is going to continue to gather weight :)

Indeed, I agree that the wait is due to Home. Another consideration...

Is it worth PD implementing private rooms before Home is released, only to have to update it later for Home? I would rather wait for the definitive implementation rather than PD waste time implementing it twice. As a result, PD can spend their time working on other aspects of Prologue.

I would assume that the Home SDK offers tools and features to make online functions such as lobby systems and matchmaking more easy to implement. I heard a benefit of developing for the 360 is that a lot of these features are available to devs 'off the shelf', through libraries, whereas such features have to be either developed from scratch or shared amoung developers on the Playstation 3.

Last edited:
Some other points that spring to mind:

1) Throwing extra programmers to add extra features / catch up with a delayed software project is asking for a major disaster. Many top (games) programmers state this. John Carmack of Id Software has stated this and I (and professionals in the industry) take pretty much what he says when it comes to games programming as gospel. Too many chefs spoil the broth.
Exactly. It's not limited to game projects BTW. It's one of the basic things taught with many project management methods today.

They just need to get a decent developer blog running, where the authors bother to follow up on comments posted by fans. Would soothe some minds, including mine.
Some communication would be nice. Even "it's not going to be here for another six months" is better than nothing, because radio-silence always leads to weird assumptions and the most wild stories.

I agree with Obli, throwing more programmers at it doesn't help. I've been there myself as a project manager, all it does is increase admin and in-fighting.
Not to mention your most experienced staff will be busy getting the new guys familiair with the project, thus effectively grinding the project to a halt.

I think exactly the same. If Home would have been here on time (Summer 2008) we would have had private rooms already IMO.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13206225&postcount=2
Yamauchi basically identified how generations of gaming evolved from primitive Text to modern 3D avatars. He said the biggest thing was "communication" was the key thing.

So he'd like to bring more communication into the experience of playing Gran Turismo.

Probably why he setup arcade cabinets in home so that you can chit chat about it before/after racing together.

Seems like we have a commitment from Yamauchi to make GT5 + Home a seamless experience.

Translation from the TGS Home video I linked to earlier.
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3184916&postcount=21

Nice comments guys jeez i've read more on last page then i've read out of a Harry Potter book! XD

Well I've read more out of your post here than I have ever read from a Harry Potter book too.

lmao, Too true, Awful Awful! Books!
Yes! I was like...harry Potter...who reads that crap lol!!:lol:

Yamauchi: We need to test it fully so that it becomes a perfect product. I consider it dangerous, to say the least, to release a game like this one without having subdued it to the toughest quality assurance tests.
K.Y is a perfectionist, that I think is fantastic!👍 While Prologue is here PD might as well test everything, that way the degree of perfection that K.Y is aiming for is achievable. I'm looking forward to seeing what PD decides to test next.:D
Rusty*

Gadbury | October 3rd, 2008 at 5:38 am

Thanks Taku and the rest of the team for your continued efforts!

Is this update part of a Spec III update? Can we expect further updates throughout October? Any info that can be shared with us hungry fans? :)

Cheers!

Taku Imasaki replied on October 6, 2008 at 1:54 am

There WILL be more gameplay updates… thats all I can say right now!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/10/02/gran-turismo-5-prologue-update-available-now-and-includes-new-cars/comment-page-2/#comments

Gadbury | October 3rd, 2008 at 5:38 am

Thanks Taku and the rest of the team for your continued efforts!

Is this update part of a Spec III update? Can we expect further updates throughout October? Any info that can be shared with us hungry fans? :)

Cheers!

Taku Imasaki replied on October 6, 2008 at 1:54 am

There WILL be more gameplay updates… thats all I can say right now!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/10/02/gran-turismo-5-prologue-update-available-now-and-includes-new-cars/comment-page-2/#comments

Yes but he didnt say they be out *next week* as you said. They'll be out soon. They never announce a new update until a couple of days before the update. Your GT News page is when you'll defo hear about the next one 👍

The update can be out anytime no proof on a date, I say it'll be out on the 30th when the Japanese Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Spec III Bundle will arrive in Japan. We'll have to wait and see 👍

The update can be out anytime no proof on a date, I say it'll be out on the 30th when the Japanese Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Spec III Bundle will arrive in Japan. We'll have to wait and see 👍

that makes sense, if they include the whole spec3 update(what it is for now) on the blu rai for the japan release. the there should be a update for donwload at the same time.
Big question what will it all contain.....:scared::crazy:

That's not how I interpreted Taku's answer. It's too vague to draw any conclusions. Could mean anything. I don't expect any more updates coming up. I think they'll come later outside of October.

Still, I was surprised to get an answer from Taku considering he replied to two posts in his latest blog! I tried to extract some juicy info guys but PD are tighter than a... tight thing!

It looks like Firmware Update 2.50 is scheduled for tomorrow. This one is supposed to bug-fix some Home issues. Open beta hits Japan soon after. There are rumors of full release by the time of XBOX Experience witch is set for 19th of November. Coincidences...:)

sound logical to me marky...lets hope you are right:tup:

spyrrari.

It looks like Firmware Update 2.50 is scheduled for tomorrow. This one is supposed to bug-fix some Home issues. Open beta hits Japan soon after. There are rumors of full release by the time of XBOX Experience witch is set for 19th of November. Coincidences...:)

Yeah I think I heard HOME was pencilled in for around the 14th/16th November, if I remember correctly...

Very nice conclusion , I have to agree 100% with that. 👍

Yeah I think I heard HOME was pencilled in for around the 14th/16th November, if I remember correctly...

Is that this year, last year or the year before?!

Joking.

But this Taku and his answer, I took it to mean that there will be more updates, full stop. Maybe not now, maybe not later, but between now and GT5... That is unless, of course, GT5 counts as an update? Now that would be a kick in the teeth after all this speculation, but I doubt it's the case.

Back