Most Overrated games?

• Thread starter Ellis
  • 281 comments
My nomination.......... Call Of Duty. More specifically - MW3. (Most of my problems with MW3 are evident in earlier installments to.)

Why people still buy into this regurgetating franchise i cannot comprehend. Battlefield, While having problems of its own is way superior in my mind. Guns actually have recoil, Your guy can run for more than 5 paces without stopping for a breather, The weapons resemble the sounds of gun firing, And most of all....No stupid killstreaks. And thats before mentioning, Graphics, Weapon choice/variety, Maps, Vehicles and DLC's.

Im not saying BF is the perfect game because its not, But compared to any recent COD? It might just aswell be...

Also skyrim series and I know I will get hate on this but borderlands series as well as darksiders series

Well this thread hasn't seen any activity in a while, almost as long as my membership here, but it's still a good topic and I haven't seen any new ones on this subject, so I don't see anything wrong with bringing it back. My opinions have certainly shifted since I last posted here, but one game I still find overrated after all these years is:

Need for Speed Most Wanted (2005)
For over a decade, people I knew considered it one of the best and though my opinion may be unpopular, I never truly agreed. I have posted about this one before in this thread back in my early days, but I never bothered to explain why. For starters
  1. I just didn't enjoy the career as much as other NFS games. Having to do the races, milestones, and bounty for each blacklist rival just got repetitive and boring after a while and I think it went on longer than it should have. I mean it's okay at first, but after the 10th rival, I just didn't enjoy it much after that, and sometimes I just wanted it to be over already. One could argue doing those 3 things adds more variety to the gameplay than doing nothing but races. However, after a while, it just feels more like a chore having to do those things over and over again and a workload that can get a little overwhelming, especially when it starts asking for 9 races and they start taking more time to complete. Having only 4 races modes, one of which should've never been included, didn't help matters either. I guess it gets better near the end, but once I beat it, there really isn't much left for me to enjoy afterward. Sure, one could argue other NFS games are repetitive as well, but this one I thought was the worst for this.
  2. The customizations were easily the worst of all the 2nd gen NFS games. Like for instance, instead of being able to pick your front and rear bumpers along with the side skirts individually, they just have body kits instead. To make matters worse, you can only pick one vinyl for your car whereas the previous game lets you pick at least 4. With some other things I liked being missing entirely. Those are the worst things for me and I am sure there is more I could say as well. Customization is pretty big to me and this game just didn't do it in this field for me. Sure I can understand it probably wasn't as big of a focus in this one as the previous two, but still, it could have been better...
  3. Ever since my early days of gaming, I never was too crazy about being chased by cops and generally viewed them as an annoyance. That said, I didn't really like the emphasis they put on the cops in this game. I mean yes I can kind of understand why people would like it especially if they love the cops and I get it's the premise of the game, but I found them to be pretty annoying overall and at times, way too aggressive. The times I wanted them to stay with me, they wouldn't and the times I wanted them to leave me alone, they wouldn't go away, which gets really annoying when it's at a really inconvenient time. I have had times in the past where rather than getting my mind off of things, they just added to it instead and/or ruined my mood, which ultimately goes against why I play video games in the first place. (though I don't recall this happening in my most recent playthrough)
  4. The Challenge series, while it was a great feature to introduce that was used in later games, was mostly a waste of time to me. Why do I think this? Well, it has 68 challenges (70 if you include the Black Edition and Burger King Challenges) and it gets kind of tricky and can even require some practice. Then, in the end, all you get are two "okay" cars you can only use in quick race that you can't even customize! It's just not worth the time you have to put into it to beat it.
  5. The drag races could be a real pain later in the game and sometimes it just felt like trial and error more than anything. They got annoying after a while and I think the game would've been better off without them.
  6. When topping the rap sheet and literally becoming the "most wanted", you get nothing for it, it's just a time sink at best and not really worth doing unless you just really want to get 100% completion.
  7. I didn't find most of the soundtrack to be all that great or memorable for an NFS title. Only a few songs really stood out to me and even the ones that did weren't that great to me. While it's not bad, it just doesn't compare to the other NFS games from its time period in my opinion.
  8. I generally just never liked the overall look and atmosphere of the game. While the models and textures are good, the lighting is just a bit too bright to me and the game has this yellowish filter that I think looks pretty yucky and I have disliked it from the very beginning. It just ruins the look of the game overall and I really don't think it has aged very well over time either. Yes, I know the PC version has the option to turn the yellow filter off and it may look "alright" then, but since I have the PS2 version, this sadly is not an option. Coming from UG1 and UG2 and then seeing this, it's pretty disappointing and feels like a step back in my opinion.
I am a big fan of the 2nd gen NFS games and I don't dislike the game, I just never thought this game was as good as it was made out to be back in the days and after playing it twice in recent years, I still don't!

Last edited:
Draaaaake , noooooo!

"For me uncharted 3 was a little overated, i liked it but my friend made it sound much better than i expected."

Are you a GAMER LOL :banghead: To be fair I thought it was a bit short and was like "what thats it?" at the end. All the otheres Ive played to death

I didn't like Dishonored as much as other people do. I wanted to but I just couldn't get that much intrested in it.

MGS is one of, if not one of the most overrated stealth game series out there.

Absolutely nonsensical story even at the best of times, some absolutely reprehensible story treatment and writing of women (none more so then Quiet in V, though the Beauty and the Beat Unit in 4 is pretty high up there) and really terrible gameplay up to 4. Splinter Cell is everything that the older MGS games wished they were, and hold up better over the years. In fact, I'd rate Chaos Theory a much better game then MGS 3, and I enjoyed Splinter Cell Blacklist a hell of a lot more then MGS V.

Was also not hot on Nier Automata for the fact that it seemed a bit too button mash-y for my tastes when I played it, and some of the story beats and camera angles, especially in regards to 2B were...incredibly skeevy, to say the least. I think I like the idea of Nier Automata a lot more then actually playing it, so I checked out early.

And as much as I hate to say it - Persona 5 is reaching the threshold for when it comes to overrated as well. P5 didn't need to be as long as it did - especially when you consider that the last ten hours or so of the game are the worst slogs I have experienced in gaming in a long, long time - and the story pretty much breaks down by the end of the game as well with an obvious twist, and some really strange and puzzling story and gameplay beats (A story about teenage rebellion but lets throw a female character who suffered sexual abuse under the bus for ***** and giggles, and lets deny people the chance to date male characters because reasons) have prevented me from playing through the game more then once. In fact, I binged that game like crack when it came out - hit a brick wall at Shido's palace, and shelved it for nearly four months. And chances are - I doubt I'll play an expanded P5 at any point.

Call of Duty World at War (Zombies)
I could argue Call of Duty in general is overrated, but this one is where I feel it most, I am speaking for the zombie mode however. I see some people saying it was the best for zombies, but I never truly agreed with this especially with Black Ops existing. To start out small, I just don't like how the zombies sound in this game, it just don't sound right to me and I could also say the same for the guns as well. The knifing and reloading mechanics seemed slower than the later titles. Der Riese has a terrible glitch with the Wunderwaffe that weakens your Juggernog if you hurt yourself with it and sadly it can't be fixed. Wall weapons appear in the mystery box, which is pointless since you can buy them on the wall. What's even worse is you sometimes end up paying more for them than you would buying them off the wall when you could have gotten something so much better from the box that you wouldn't get otherwise.

However, the main reason I don't really care for this game as much is because Black Ops has all of World at War's zombies maps that are more or less the same, but in noticeably higher quality and it makes World at War look and feel so outdated despite Black Ops being released only 3 years later. On the PS3 version, you can buy all of the zombie maps from World at War in DLC 4 for less, plus you get Moon along with it! (A better buy in my opinion) Now I don't think World at War's zombie mode was bad, especially since it was the first to feature it. However, I just don't think it has aged very well over time and apart from custom maps and the difference in weaponry, I just can't find much reason to play this game unlike the other titles.

Well as this has been dragged back up I suppose I should comment:

• Elite Dangerous - it looks great and plays well, but just didn't hook me at all
  • Fortnite & Overwatch - I guess they are just not my type of shooter
  • Gran Turismo after four - grindy, grindy, grind. Didn't evolve and then did in a way that doesn't work well for me, add in that its slipped further and further behind the curve for physics and it just doesn't do it for me anymore.
  • 8-bit indie games - just no.

I have to say Far Cry 3. I am trying to get into it, but when the pointer is hovering above the executable, I end up selecting Wolfenstein, Borderlands 2 or Fallout 4. Something is in the way of things, when it comes to diving into Far Cry 3.

I'm curious, could you elaborate? :)

I could agree that they're overly common -- and few are done "right" -- but in what way are they overrated?
As you say they are overly common, yet sometimes seen as being better as a collective of titles than I think they are.

For all the 8bit indie avalanche very, very few are actually that good in my view, hence overrated as a genre.

Bloodborne doesn't seem fun at all... or is it just me?

I have found that the way that Soulsborne games have been pimped up by the general gaming population has made me completely uninterested in any of the games. Though I did manage to grab Bloodborne when it was a free game on PS Plus, and it seems more interesting because of it's gothic vibe.

Nothing individual but as far as series go...

Gran Tursimo. Up to 4 excellent. Post 4 - You have GOT to be kidding!

DarkSouls. I loved Demon Souls but I just don't get on with the rest.

Fallout. I never miss an Elder Scrolls but I dislike the Fallout's.

Uncharted. Never understood the interest in this. At. All.

I gave Dark Souls an honest try, and although I can recognize the strategy of it, there was no fun to be had in working around such deliberately clumsy gameplay, even as I got the hang of it. Such a detached and disjointed experience is grating in a real-time action RPG.

Nevermind this:

DarkSoulsComparisonChart.jpg

You know, I am fine with having a hard gaming experience right off the bat, we are on a forum that is mainly for one of the most realism demanding sub genres in gaming. But Soulsborne games are just exercises in infuriation and deliberately obtuse gameplay, and as Wolfe said, doesn't even get into the almost cultish like fanbase it has spawned.

You know, I am fine with having a hard gaming experience right off the bat, we are on a forum that is mainly for one of the most realism demanding sub genres in gaming. But Soulsborne games are just exercises in infuriation and deliberately obtuse gameplay, and as Wolfe said, doesn't even get into the almost cultish like fanbase it has spawned.
Some have said GoW is similar to the souls games... But this game has its cinematic story to hook me in. But for Bloodborne I haven't been able to get past all the text and first level.... It just seemed very boring! I just cant immerse myself without a good story even though the gameplay is said to be excellent. The exception are of course are simulation and sportsgames.

Ridge Racer Type 4
For a long time, I never have held this game in very high regard like other people do despite me growing up with it. The game has nice graphics, great physics, and a fantastic soundtrack, however my biggest problem is it’s just not much fun to play after beating the grand prix once or twice and their is much to do in terms of progress outside of that. Sure picking a different team and a different manufacture may give you a different experience, but it's just after a while, it becomes repetitive and boring having to do the same 8 races over and over again. It doesn’t help that some races can be downright frustrating and possibly require numerous tries to beat. The fact the game is wanting you to play the grand prix with every team and every manufacture for each and even place in different positions on some races just to unlock all the cars is just obscene to me.

Don’t me wrong though, it not a bad game, it’s still pretty enjoyable and it’s fun to go back to it every now and then. However, it’s one that I would probably play for a few days at most and not play it again for a while afterward. While I like it better than I used to, it’s still not a favorite of mine.

Last edited:
I love many aspects of the following games that I own or have owned, but IMO, they are overrated: Bioshock Infinite, Arkham City & Knight, Halo 4, Final Fantasy VII.

I gave Dark Souls an honest try, and although I can recognize the strategy of it, there was no fun to be had in working around such deliberately clumsy gameplay, even as I got the hang of it. Such a detached and disjointed experience is grating in a real-time action RPG.

Nevermind this:

View attachment 737210
I remember watching a fun LP of Dark Souls with two guys bantering and it got to the point where libraries were the Dark Souls of books. :lol:

Have to be codemasters racing games. They always get a 9 but they are usually just the same game eith less content. I mean their games are good but they are also very similar. They should be a seven out of ten. Nine should be for for something that defines the genre.

Have to be codemasters racing games. They always get a 9 but they are usually just the same game eith less content. I mean their games are good but they are also very similar. They should be a seven out of ten. Nine should be for for something that defines the genre.

I agree, but Dirt Rally is an exception.

Code masters on ps1 were untouchable.
Ps2 was ok
Ps3 was awful
And nowadays I think the games are great but as you mention the content is slim at launch.

I'd say a lot of Sony's recent exclusives. The 3rd person, character-driven action/adventure titles like Horizon Zero Dawn, Days Gone, Uncharted 4, Spider-Man, God of War, Death Stranding, The Last of Us, etc.

I don't think they're bad games in the least. I'm just seeing a lot of the same formula and think that people keep overhyping them as 11/10 content despite having similar gameplay loops as one another. I just think that Sony is oversaturated in them right now; I preferred the more diverse roster of exclusives found on the PS3. Franchises like MotorStorm, Killzone, Twisted Metal, LittleBigPlanet, Ratchet & Clank, Wipeout, and Resistance helped balance it out for all players. Games that have either gone extinct or have been given a back seat behind this new sub-genre of exclusive which I typically refer to as "Cinematic Ubisoft". Even Gran Turismo is overshadowed by comparison.

I'd say a lot of Sony's recent exclusives. The 3rd person, character-driven action/adventure titles like Horizon Zero Dawn, Days Gone, Uncharted 4, Spider-Man, God of War, Death Stranding, The Last of Us, etc.

I don't think they're bad games in the least. I'm just seeing a lot of the same formula and think that people keep overhyping them as 11/10 content despite having similar gameplay loops as one another. I just think that Sony is oversaturated in them right now; I preferred the more diverse roster of exclusives found on the PS3. Franchises like MotorStorm, Killzone, Twisted Metal, LittleBigPlanet, Ratchet & Clank, Wipeout, and Resistance helped balance it out for all players. Games that have either gone extinct or have been given a back seat behind this new sub-genre of exclusive which I typically refer to as "Cinematic Ubisoft". Even Gran Turismo is overshadowed by comparison.

I disagree with god of war and last of us, they are landmarks in storytelling and gameplay in gaming history.

Same here. I will never understand the appeal of these third person Hollywood-esque Netflix tier movie games. I wouldn't mind if the actual writing is actually good but it's not unfortunately. I'm sick and tired of being bombarded by cutscene after cutscene after cutscene eveytime I play. That's not the reason why I play videogame. Hopefully Sony will focus more on diverse type of game next gen.

I love MGS and its fun quirky gameplay when I started playing it I thought Kojima is a very self aware guy just messing around and making parody of Spy thriller movies. I didn't know he actually sees himself as some kind of high art cinematic videogame creator, lol. Lots of fans call him as genius but I just don't see it. MGS series is overrated and a very messy game story wise and the writing is comparable to a highschool drama. I think he's trying hard to emulate David Lynch but failing terribly. Kojima is also the reason why we have long cinematic cutscene in most AAA titles these days. He is a hack.

Last edited:
I disagree with god of war and last of us, they are landmarks in storytelling and gameplay in gaming history.

Eh, story is definitely a mark in history for them, but their gameplay isn't anything new; especially for the last of us, which had gameplay that was heavily influenced by the studio's other franchise, Uncharted. Only instead of fighting thieves, immortal monkey men, and Gollum creatures, you were fighting barnacle zombies, firefly rebels, and government soldiers.

Mind you that's only for the first game. The sequel could change things up for the franchise, but I don't intend to find out. This whole sub-genre just isn't for me.
That or I just haven't found a story in these games that speaks to me.

Latest Posts

Back