Most Overrated games?

• Thread starter Ellis
  • 281 comments
I'd have to put Dead Island as an overrated game, if not simply disappointing.

By itself, the game's fun - and why wouldn't it be? It's an RPG where you kill zombies, and that's awesome. But after watching the trailer, I expected something else. When you see the trailer is seems as if the game was gonna touch on the emotional side of a zombie apocalypse. I was hoping that the game was gonna have ('scuse the pun) fleshed-out characters that you'd feel for if something ever happened to them.

I guess it's not really overrated, just more of a let-down :indiff:

Dead Island would have been awesome if it would have been more like Left 4 Dead. Running around hitting zombies with a big stick got pretty boring pretty quick. The game needed way more action and at least a few easier to access guns.

GTA 4 , Devil may cry series, gears of war, halo, Assasins Creed,street fighter X Tekken and battlefield, marvel vs capcom 3

I always thought HALO was over-rated. But looking at HALO 4 and what the developers call an emphasis on "mystery, exploration and discovery", I'm inclined to reconsider.

In fact, I think pretty much any alien invasion-themed first-person shooter of the past decade has been over-rated.

prisonermonkeys
In fact, I think pretty much any alien invasion-themed first-person shooter of the past decade has been over-rated.

Well, this theme has been beaten to death. This and the feeling of loneliness. Even when part of something bigger you're always alone,

I also had higher hopes for AvP. But when a marine can stun a bug with a punch, it all goes downhill from there.

I just want a shooter that actually tells a decent story in the single-player campaign for once, rather than making it an extended tutorial for multiplayer.

Surprised that Final Fantasy VII hasn't been mentioned yet.

I like it but I think some people exaggerate on how good it is. I wasn't overwhelmed by emotion when you-know-who died and the story was a little confusing and didn't add up in a few places. The game is disappointingly too easy most of the time and the ending left me with a "That's it?" feeling.

But then again, I was not lucky enough to play this game in 1997.

Also, Pokemon games. I am a Pokemon fan but I'll admit that Pokemon games put me to sleep most of the time. B/W is an exception though since I haven't played it yet.

As much as I love CoD, MW3 was absolutely terrible. They did a terrible job with Multiplayer, lots of glitches, face off(aka boost mode) where ppl would join a 1v1 and boost for kills (xP) They did a decent job on banning, but still some flaws because people can boost and not get banned. Rant over, haha

Every single CoD game since MW1. Horrible games designed for people who will happily throw their money at the dev/pup for the exact same game, over and over again.

BF3. No teamwork involved online. BF2 remains the king of the Battlefield franchise.

I personally think the Heavy Metal games have been overrated. In fact, most car combat games are overrated. Because, while they try to do something similar to an FPS...they can't it's just not possible and in the end, these kinds of games just get boring after a hour or so of play.

Just about every Bethesda game made after Fallout 3, and Oblivion.
Oh, and its not even out yet, but I know people are going to hype the crap out of it, Hawken, it's basically what happens when you take Mechwarrior, and give it a Call Of Duty attitude

Resistance two as well I have just thought of, that came to "10/10!"

It was bobbins...

Surprised that Final Fantasy VII hasn't been mentioned yet.

I like it but I think some people exaggerate on how good it is. I wasn't overwhelmed by emotion when you-know-who died and the story was a little confusing and didn't add up in a few places. The game is disappointingly too easy most of the time and the ending left me with a "That's it?" feeling.

But then again, I was not lucky enough to play this game in 1997.

I was one of the lucky ones who played the game in 1997(as well as most FF upon release) and I would place this as number 2 in my list of overrated Final Fantasies behind XIII. It would have been number one, but the winy ***** known as Hope really sealed XIII's fate.

GTA 4. It didn't deserve a 10 rating on Gamespot. You can't do anything more fun after you finish the missions (besides blowing everything up :lol: ) Having played the PC version, I didn't mind because the mods were awesome. 👍

As most have said CoD games are just hopeless, the story is too short and sometimes it doesn't even make sence. Again another that has been mentioned all NFS games after they stupidly tried to move away from the street racing style.

As most have said CoD games are just hopeless, the story is too short and sometimes it doesn't even make sence. Again another that has been mentioned all NFS games after they stupidly tried to move away from the street racing style.

So, Shift's? I personally thought the SHIFT NFS could have been great, but a lot say that the physics are weird. Another one I was thinking of was NFS Undercover. Absolutely horrid.

harrison1476
So, Shift's? I personally thought the SHIFT NFS could have been great, but a lot say that the physics are weird. Another one I was thinking of was NFS Undercover. Absolutely horrid.

Hot Pursuit was quite good. Nice arcade fun.

Undercover wasn't over rated. It was crap and everyone knew this.
Nah - Undercover as an arcade game was fine, weird colours but fine. When NFS started getting all 'serious' and sim-like with Shift, et al, but still thought it okay to ram opponents off the track...that was where they went very wrong.

Last edited:
Back