Motor City Tunes GT6

How dare he! That's Blasphemy!
Ohh wait I'd do that too, I would be a tad nervous about wrecking the car of my instructor in the rain

I tried to convince him to run with it off, but it was his first time on track ever. The other student was in a 4wd Subaru Impreza and I told him that traction control would just delay his ability to react to what the car is asking for. Plus with 4wd, the rolling resistance of the drive train and the extra stability when he got back to throttle, he should have more control than most of us.

@Motor City Hami

Good to see you back in full swing! I appreciate all the skill and wisdom you bring to bear. I've gained much of my tuning ability from the info you have contributed on this site. THANK YOU!
Sorry I'm a bit late with this but the alerts seemed to have stopped for a while and just started last week, a mystery for sure.

Go fast IRL and stay safe everywhere!

I tried to convince him to run with it off, but it was his first time on track ever. The other student was in a 4wd Subaru Impreza and I told him that traction control would just delay his ability to react to what the car is asking for. Plus with 4wd, the rolling resistance of the drive train and the extra stability when he got back to throttle, he should have more control than most of us.
ahh so you drive your own car 👍
I need to find a SCCA event with open track, talk my wife into letting me barrow her baby (2008 Imprezza WRX hatch :)) I had a 2010 but it got totaled when we were rear ended in a bad snow storm. 3/4 hit to the rear driver side bent the frame only 3500 miles on it too :(

I just wanted to thank you; your quick tunes have helped me and my roommates immensely. I've been playing Gran Turismo for years--lots of 3, TONS of 4, and now I just picked up 6--and I've always been mediocre at tuning. Not abysmal, and I understand most of it in theory, but not great. It's so convenient to have a template to start with!
I'll be monitoring this garage from now on and trying out some of your individual tunes. I'll understand tuning yet!

I just wanted to thank you; your quick tunes have helped me and my roommates immensely. I've been playing Gran Turismo for years--lots of 3, TONS of 4, and now I just picked up 6--and I've always been mediocre at tuning. Not abysmal, and I understand most of it in theory, but not great. It's so convenient to have a template to start with!
I'll be monitoring this garage from now on and trying out some of your individual tunes. I'll understand tuning yet!

Thank you. Happy to have helped.

Really sore this morning. I forgot how much work it is driving race cars with no power steering at the limit. Two days down, one to go. Got 7th yesterday, but could have been 5th with two fewer mistakes. Two races today. Goal: top 5.
What track are you racing at Hami? Have you raced the Miata there before & if so, how does it compare to previously? I know you've devoted some cash to setup recently & am interested to know if it's working out. Best of luck for tomorrow anyway.

What track are you racing at Hami? Have you raced the Miata there before & if so, how does it compare to previously? I know you've devoted some cash to setup recently & am interested to know if it's working out. Best of luck for tomorrow anyway.

At Grattan Raceway. I have won here a few times. I always had a good setup system before, but it took much longer than with the new stuff. It will be quicker to do with better consistency.

I think I just finished 4th! And I captured some great video from what GT6ers will call bumper cam. :)

At Grattan Raceway. I have won here a few times. I always had a good setup system before, but it took much longer than with the new stuff. It will be quicker to do with better consistency.

I think I just finished 4th! And I captured some great video from what GT6ers will call bumper cam. :)
Congrats on the 4th :cheers:
Make sure you share the footage with us all. Not surprised it's bumper cam. Not a lot of room for optional extras in a Miata :D

Not a bad weekend for the first competitive racing in two years. Have just done a few track days here and there recently.

I qualified 6th. The top two were in a league of their own, a full second up on the 2nd pack. One of them is the driving instructor for that track and did not put a wheel in the wrong place, ever. He was good. The other had a NASCAR style hauler that made it appear to be a young guy with a dad with deep pockets. In the second pack, there were seven of us separated by 7 tenths of a second. I came home with a 4th, 6th and a 7th. Had a near miss in the finals as a Miata spun in front of me in the hardest braking zone. I missed by mere inches. I'll check the video tonight.

I had a ton of fun. Am a bit sore. You don't realize the forces on your hips and shoulders against the seat and the belts until you finish. Plus the arm and hand fatigue. Then drive a motor home towing the trailer for three hours and spend an hour unloading everything. I am physically spent. Lost five pounds over the weekend.

I have quite a few thoughts bouncing around my head tonight. First is that I am pretty good at racing, but it is a humbling sport. There is always someone faster, someone better prepped, someone who has spent more, someone who has practiced more, etc. I did well with my crate motor against some pretty well prepped cars. I also missed two shifts in the final that really pissed me off because it caused me to lose the draft to the 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th place cars. So I can drive a little better, spend a little more time and money at the dyno, get my new data system installed, improve a little in the braking zones. It's all about shaving another second off the time to get up with those top three.

I will go through the video tonight and see if I can get something loaded to YouTube.

Not a bad weekend for the first competitive racing in two years. Have just done a few track days here and there recently.

I qualified 6th. The top two were in a league of their own, a full second up on the 2nd pack. One of them is the driving instructor for that track and did not put a wheel in the wrong place, ever. He was good. The other had a NASCAR style hauler that made it appear to be a young guy with a dad with deep pockets. In the second pack, there were seven of us separated by 7 tenths of a second. I came home with a 4th, 6th and a 7th. Had a near miss in the finals as a Miata spun in front of me in the hardest braking zone. I missed by mere inches. I'll check the video tonight.

I had a ton of fun. Am a bit sore. You don't realize the forces on your hips and shoulders against the seat and the belts until you finish. Plus the arm and hand fatigue. Then drive a motor home towing the trailer for three hours and spend an hour unloading everything. I am physically spent. Lost five pounds over the weekend.

I have quite a few thoughts bouncing around my head tonight. First is that I am pretty good at racing, but it is a humbling sport. There is always someone faster, someone better prepped, someone who has spent more, someone who has practiced more, etc. I did well with my crate motor against some pretty well prepped cars. I also missed two shifts in the final that really pissed me off because it caused me to lose the draft to the 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th place cars. So I can drive a little better, spend a little more time and money at the dyno, get my new data system installed, improve a little in the braking zones. It's all about shaving another second off the time to get up with those top three.

I will go through the video tonight and see if I can get something loaded to YouTube.
Still better and more fun than what the rest of us have been doing. Great job Hami, little rusty I'm sure after 2 years, but sounds as if you did yourself proud! Next time out will be even better. 👍

The first three laps of this are pretty exciting. Then it's just video of me trying desperately to stay in the draft of the red car in front of me. I could not see the green flag at the start, so that little delay getting to the gas cost me three spots by turn one. I got one back on lap two, then another late in the race. This isn't the full race because the SD cards split files and YouTube does not like anything more than 15 minutes. I have much more video. I need to cut a highlights.

The first three laps of this are pretty exciting. Then it's just video of me trying desperately to stay in the draft of the red car in front of me. I could not see the green flag at the start, so that little delay getting to the gas cost me three spots by turn one. I got one back on lap two, then another late in the race. This isn't the full race because the SD cards split files and YouTube does not like anything more than 15 minutes. I have much more video. I need to cut a highlights.

Nice footage 👍, is it my eyes deceiving me but some of the cars didn't look like Miatas :odd:. That was a close call with No.3 :nervous:, nice move you made, just too bad it slowed you down.

Just wondering, do you have sponsors or are you racing this out off your pocket, I have a friend who use to race motorbikes, and he'd blow an easy $1000 dollars on a weekend race, that's not counting accidents.

Nice footage 👍, is it my eyes deceiving me but some of the cars didn't look like Miatas :odd:. That was a close call with No.3 :nervous:, nice move you made, just too bad it slowed you down.

Just wondering, do you have sponsors or are you racing this out off your pocket, I have a friend who use to race motorbikes, and he'd blow an easy $1000 dollars on a weekend race, that's not counting accidents.

We share the track with multiple classes. The low sleek looking cars are Spec Racer Ford. There were also five other very small classes mixed into the back of our run group.

No sponsors. 100% amateur, out of our own budget. A set of tires is around $850. We go through two sets in a season. If you want to win every week, plan on new tires every two weekends. Entry fee was $350. Plus 20 gallons of premium 94 octane fuel. It's not inexpensive. I raced remote controlled cars for years at the national level as a factory team driver. I spent almost as much racing toy cars as I do racing my mid-pack, under powered Miata.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the footage 👍 :cheers: I could watch hours of that kind of thing.
As @TurnLeft said, so close with #3 at the start of lap 2 :eek: If you had both waxed your cars prior to the race, there would've been contact. The other thing I noticed was, if you swapped engines with the red car you were chasing, he wouldn't have seen which way you went. He's not lacking for straight-line handling is he. You had it all over him in most of the corners. I'm amazed you only run 94 octane. No doubt that's part of the rules but I run 98 in my road car! It only needs 91 as a minimum but I prefer the 98 for it's cleaner burn, extra bang & it translates into better economy.
Grattan has a nice layout but they don't believe in sandtraps do they. I guess if you keep it on the track you've got nothing to worry about but if you had to take to the grass in avoidance....:scared:
I'm looking forward to the next installment of 'Hami goes racing' 👍 :)

Thanks for sharing the footage 👍 :cheers: I could watch hours of that kind of thing.
As @TurnLeft said, so close with #3 at the start of lap 2 :eek: If you had both waxed your cars prior to the race, there would've been contact. The other thing I noticed was, if you swapped engines with the red car you were chasing, he wouldn't have seen which way you went. He's not lacking for straight-line handling is he. You had it all over him in most of the corners. I'm amazed you only run 94 octane. No doubt that's part of the rules but I run 98 in my road car! It only needs 91 as a minimum but I prefer the 98 for it's cleaner burn, extra bang & it translates into better economy.
Grattan has a nice layout but they don't believe in sandtraps do they. I guess if you keep it on the track you've got nothing to worry about but if you had to take to the grass in avoidance....:scared:
I'm looking forward to the next installment of 'Hami goes racing' 👍 :)

It is a bit frustrating to drive well and get beat by power. I have decided today to buy some power. I will be buying a new engine head that has been built by a pro team.

As far as fuel octane, I tested with some dyno time, 100 octane vs. 94 octane and the 94 was faster. The dyno guy said that some are using 87 and 89 octane with success. He said that with stock engines like these, the compression isn't high enough to take advantage of the higher octane fuels. When I get the new engine head I will be taking 87, 89, 94 and 100 octane fuel to test.

It is a bit frustrating to drive well and get beat by power. I have decided today to buy some power. I will be buying a new engine head that has been built by a pro team.

As far as fuel octane, I tested with some dyno time, 100 octane vs. 94 octane and the 94 was faster. The dyno guy said that some are using 87 and 89 octane with success. He said that with stock engines like these, the compression isn't high enough to take advantage of the higher octane fuels. When I get the new engine head I will be taking 87, 89, 94 and 100 octane fuel to test.
Can you post a link to the tech regulations you have to abide by? I'm interested to know what limits you have to play with.

Hello, I'm not sure if you accept requests but if you do I would like a tune for Shelby Series 1 at 550pp for the Nordschleife with racing soft tyres. Seems like to be very competitive car online at this performance level.

Honestly I'm having hard times tuning with race soft tyres in this game at the Nordschleife, GT6 is very different compared to GT5 when slapping race softs on a street car at 550pp or more I need to rebuild suspensions from scratch but I end up doing them too stiff in order to avoid weight transfer on the external front tyre but the bumpy 'Schleife hate stiff setups.

Feels like if the car has not been specifically tuned at Nordschleife it won't be aggressive on kerbs if it's too stiff it will not grip enough.

EDIT: I forgot: if it's too soft or not balanced properly it will cause understeer and the external front tyre will become red high speed fast turns.

Last edited:
Getting excited about a trip to Mid-Ohio this week after a three year hiatus from that track. The layout has been running through my head all weekend.

Do you think that there is any chance that PD will have the course maker ready by Friday night so that I can map Mid-Ohio for everyone? :)

Getting excited about a trip to Mid-Ohio this week after a three year hiatus from that track. The layout has been running through my head all weekend.

Do you think that there is any chance that PD will have the course maker ready by Friday night so that I can map Mid-Ohio for everyone? :)
I first lasted eyes on Mid-Ohio when we started getting the CART Indycar telecasts in Australia. It would've been '91/'92 era and it's remained one of my favorite US tracks ever since. The elevation changes alone had me hooked from day one.
To say I'd like to see it in GT is an understatement.
To know you're about to turn laps there has me the same color as your Miata. Good luck, stay safe & hopefully you can capture some good vision to share.

From the last visit to Mid-Ohio.

20277030165_e55234a7a8_z.jpg

For this year, if the weather forecast is questionable and you are starting from pole, choose rain tires instead of slicks. A crash from the lead with a nine car length lead is very damaging to the ego.

Last edited:
From the last visit to Mid-Ohio.

20277030165_e55234a7a8_z.jpg

For this year, if the weather forecast is questionable and you are starting from pole, choose rain tires instead of slicks. A crash from the lead with a nine car length lead is very damaging to the ego.
:scared:
I bet that didn't buff out :ouch:
Mixed conditions are always a lottery. Damned if you do, damned if you don't :banghead:
Hopefully you're greeted by beautiful sunny weather & tyre friendly track temps :) 👍

Latest Posts

Back