Motorsport OMG / WTF moments - Racing Funnies, Fails, Crashes, And Randomness

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 5,373 comments
So Lorenzo and Rossi had a 'wall' put between them because they couldnt get along

PA1285801.jpg

barkley-head-shake-o.gif

I'd never seen Häkkinen's 1995 Adelaide crash at normal speed before, only in slow motion on the season review VHS.

It's amazing he survived that, it really is. Great work by the medical team.

Indeed, that neck whiplash is cringe-inducing. Just the fact that Mika left Adelaide on his own two feet and not in a wheelchair is a feet worthy of a medal. Same goes for the medical team, of course.

Not from the track though, he was critically injured. In fact, his death was prematurely announced iirc.

Not from the track though, he was critically injured. In fact, his death was prematurely announced iirc.

So it was a near-Senna situation? I cannot imagine how worried Mclaren and every other team must have been at the time then, truly serious concern right there. But it's as GTPorsche has said above; it was a double miracle, Mika surviving and still being one of F1's top drivers until his retirement. Very few can argue with that...

Just the fact that Mika left Adelaide on his own two feet and not in a wheelchair is a feet worthy of a medal.

So it was a near-Senna situation? I cannot imagine how worried Mclaren and every other team must have been at the time then, truly serious concern right there.

It's good fortune; there was a medical car stationed at that bend and the Royal Adelaide Hospital was less than 1km from the crash site. Had the hospital been further away, Häkkinen really might not have made it even with the emergency trackside aid arriving so quickly.

Something lighthearted for any Brits and BTCC fans:

Steve "Interesting" Ryder has a go in a 1997 Volvo S40. It does not quite go as planned.

I have to commend Volvo's bravery on giving one of their factory racing cars to... whoever Mr. "Interesting" Rider is, really. And he couldn't even finish a single lap around Brands Hatch Indy, although the place where he binned it is an usual binning spot for professional drivers.

although the place where he binned it is an usual binning spot for professional drivers.

I imagine any non-racing driver to underestimate how just sharp McLaren/Clearways is; it tightens suddenly and on cold tyres you'd be straight off.

I imagine any non-racing driver to underestimate how just sharp McLaren/Clearways is; it tightens suddenly and on cold tyres you'd be straight off.

That is one notion I won't disagree with; that sharpness has caused me to veer off the track in many GT6 races. It gives a false sense of security, that you are braking hard enough so that the throttle can pressed in full for corner exit, and yet once you see your car getting closer and closer to the grass/gravel bit on the outside, you realize that you are about to bin it...

I'd never seen Häkkinen's 1995 Adelaide crash at normal speed before, only in slow motion on the season review VHS.

It's amazing he survived that, it really is. Great work by the medical team.

There was a mini documentary on this very incident floating about on youtube IIRC, as @TenEightyOne said he was pronounced dead prematurely at some point,

Though from what I remember from the documentary was the decision from the ambulance driver to take Mika to the Royal Adelaide Hospital as oppose to Flinders Medical Centre, Flinders was the most advanced hospital of the time in Adelaide, but the ambulance driver knew with how critical Mika was that it was best just to get him to the nearest hospital and get his situation relatively under control then move him to where the advanced technology was, however, the QEH ended up having the right medical team that was able to utilize familiar equipment that wasn't "cutting edge" to keep Mika with us,

I've seen first hand the medical teams from both Flinders medical and the QEH go to work on people with life threatening injuries, they are in my book some of the very best in the world,

Ogier making a mistake? That is the most OMG moment of this entire thread!
It'll be an ever bigger OMG moment when someone that isn't a Frenchman named Sebastian wins the WRC title.

No-no-no gents.... this is. About an inch from rearranging the rear suspension and sending it to them questionably placed spectators faces.

That is not a near-miss, that is a by-a-nanometer near miss! I am pretty sure that the Hyundai managed to rip a bit of wood from that tree, talk about your flora Atkins diet...

Back