Motorsport OMG / WTF moments - Racing Funnies, Fails, Crashes, And Randomness

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 5,373 comments
I like how that one AMG just kept going after having its hood thrown up. Did it retire or did they fix it?

This has probably been posted before but it's he first time I've seen it, back in he 2000 Le Mans race, Fabio Babini's Porsche GT3-R broke its windscreen, so he came into the pits for it to be removed, but once he left the pits the bonnet flew up blocking his view, so he opened the door and did an entire lap hanging out the side of his car. Then he came into the pits, got the bonnet fixed and still finished 2nd in his class.

An interesting little story from the World of Outlaws 2011 season:

I don't know if any footage or photos would happen to exist of this, but I'm currently watching that year's Knoxville Nationals on YouTube. At one point during the event, driver Kraig Kinser had to change an engine and to do so, his crew had to take the car outside of the track property and across the street to a pizza shop, which is where his hauler was parked and the engine change was performed. Apparently they had to park the hauler outside of the track because the infield was too filled up with other haulers, track crew vehicles and such.

Brands Hatch, 1991

Gary Ayles is supposed to start from 3rd place but gets away last off the grid for the formation lap. He tries to carve his way through the field and is collected by Frank Sytner, who is weaving to warm up his tyres.

Happens at 9:00.

BTCC might as well be classified as a full-contact, martial-arts-based sport considering how some of the old races went... Although modern ones haven't lost all of that "allure" yet. :lol:

Also, quick tip; the actual WTF moment you mention comes much later in the video, the timeskip seems to be misplaced (it's placed at the start of race 1 currently).

BTCC might as well be classified as a full-contact, martial-arts-based sport considering how some of the old races went... Although modern ones haven't lost all of that "allure" yet. :lol:

In fairness, the quality of the racing up until, say... 1995, was actually surprisingly fair. That channel has almost all of the races from 1990-1993 and there are some real gems in there with drivers using the traditional inside line for defending, outside line for attacking along the straight into the next corner. The aerodynamic-free nature of the cars really helps that too.

Not that there wasn't bumping and grinding but there was less of the hooliganism you see today.

Also, quick tip; the actual WTF moment you mention comes much later in the video, the timeskip seems to be misplaced (it's placed at the start of race 1 currently).

Yeah, for some reason the t=9m extension isn't working so I've edited telling you where it happens.

In fairness, the quality of the racing up until, say... 1995, was actually surprisingly fair. That channel has almost all of the races from 1990-1993 and there are some real gems in there with drivers using the traditional inside line for defending, outside line for attacking along the straight into the next corner. The aerodynamic-free nature of the cars really helps that too.

Not that there wasn't bumping and grinding but there was less of the hooliganism you see today.

Oh, absolutely. Before the Supertouring era, things were remarkably well-balanced. Yes, the Sierra Cossie damaged quite a bit of that balance when it first appeared, but near the end of its career it was losing steam quickly, so the other manufacturers had already created cars capable of wrestling with the Sierras on a more even basis. Bar a few mishaps from certain drivers (cough Harvey cough), that first race at Brands was exciting and clean with all the good aspects of racing lines which you mentioned.

Of course, nowadays mo money mo problems, as the kids say...

Yeah, for some reason the t=9m extension isn't working so I've edited telling you where it happens.

Fair enough, guess YouTube is being a diva again...

It's basically a corridor mate.
So is any track lined by concrete walls.
What's your point?
I suppose you want to ban Monaco, Macau & anywhere that isn't surrounded by acres of wide open space like the modern Tilke tracks?

Back