Motorsport OMG / WTF moments - Racing Funnies, Fails, Crashes, And Randomness

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 5,370 comments
And now the remaining cars:

IMG_20171118_001540.jpg

Edit:

This video shows the whole crash

Last edited:
I'm reminded of that gong show with the safety car at Macau WTCC race in 2013.

Like, I'm fairly certain that at this point, Macau just exacerbates problems more often then not. If something happens, then more often then not, something really, really has the chance of ****ing up. Badly. And when it does, you get WTCC 2013 and this year.

From both onboard cameras, I looked for a yellow flag that would've warned the drivers of trouble ahead.
Maybe the angles were bad but, I didn't see any & I'm not saying they weren't displayed.

This is why an onboard warning light, like they use in NASCAR, would be beneficial in these circumstances.

It probably wouldn't have saved half the cars involved but, it may have saved the other half.

Now we wait to hear what the final damage estimate is :scared:

Roo
(Not Macau-related) You only need to watch the first 10-15 seconds as it's the same for the whole video:

Looks like the organisers liked Citti di Aria too much.

I know a fair number of drivers sing its praises, but honestly, I don't really understand the appeal with Macau. :odd:

Compared to Monaco, Macau is like a small garden shed to the former's luxury conservatory. You can't race around it properly for starters, by that I mean there are pretty much zero possibilities to pass someone save the run from the last corner to the first. But that's it. To have a chance to retake the position, you have to wait pretty much the entire lap to do so.

Oh that Instagram video got removed. I found it on Twitter. Hopefully this'll stay.

It looks like the #50 Mercedes that was in 4th cut the corner too tight, and got pitched into the barrier on the outside. The #888 Mercedes directly behind it reacted pretty quickly to avoid what was to follow.

Last edited:
It looks like the Mercedes that was in 4th cut the corner too tight, and got pitched into the barrier on the outside. The Mercedes directly behind it reacted pretty quickly to avoid what was to follow.

He already had damage from the start, I think.

Yeah there was contact with the wall through the first corner, but it looked superficial to me despite the plume of dust kicked up.

Even if Juncadella did pick up a puncture on the right side, I'm not sure such a thing would cause him to drift wide through a left hand turn. His pace or ability to turn didn't appear affected at any point up until the crash.

Why do they keep racing at Macau? I never understood that.

Same reason they keep racing in Monaco. It's very historic and extremely challenging. It's one of my favourite tracks and, as is well known, a lot of racing greats speak quite highly of it.

Yes it is quite dangerous and it was terribly tragic that that young rider died yesterday but all courses are dangerous and its often little to do with the fact the track is narrow when a serious incident does occur.

I would love to see F1 go there one day. They are even smaller than these huge GT3 cars and with upgrading to the track (barrier upgrading and street furniture tweaking) it could be brought up to a safer standard.

Last edited:
It is a public simulator venue, so the car settings are not changed. Regardless of that, Melco is tighter and narrower than any corner at Monaco.

Formula One goes to Monaco because the Grand Prix at that place has history.

Macau doesn't.

While the circuit itself has a great history, it has never held a Formula One Grand Prix.

On top of that, the track in its current configuration, wouldn't come close to passing any F1-related track inspection.

The circuit would be bastardised so much, it would hardly resemble the Macau we all know.

Ain't happening. Full stop.

From someone that has tried it on a simulator, F1 cars cannot get around the hairpin! :D

Everyone gets hung up on that hairpin but they could easily widen it. At the moment they are actually clearing the land behind it so maybe they will also adjust the road.

probably because they're like a meter longer

Look how long and wide the GT3 cars are!

Last edited:
Back