Motorsport OMG / WTF moments - Racing Funnies, Fails, Crashes, And Randomness

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 5,362 comments
I expected it to be bad after what I had read, but far out. I haven’t seen many accidents with the sheer brutality of this one. Lots of mixed news going round, I do hope the drivers, Marshals and photographers are all okay.

Ive been scared of an accident like this happening at Monaco for years. Saint Devote and Massinet are the big worries.

Floersch might be okay but theres clearly two guys hit by the fence under where the car went through, the car appears to have come to rest on top of one of them.

It seems all five people involved in this accident are "okay" (as in not fatal accidents) but all taken to hospital. Now let's hope for a good recovery.
Two drivers, one marshall and two photographers.

Is it ok this race was restarted after such an horrible accident and before clear news from the FIA?
Did the media get the task to 'the show must go on' interviews while it was completely unknown what would be the outcome of this accident.
Can imagine also the interviewers felt a bit uncomfortable (at least I hope they do).

PS: Apologies to go 'off topic' in this thread.

Last edited:
I just saw this video and got this reaction. :eek:

I really, really hope everybody will be fine. I really do!

Just woke up to this.

This is 1 of the worst crashes I've seen in a long time, go to 3:00 for different camera angles.
"removed video"
Glad to hear all involved are ok (nothing fatal), driver's & marshals.

Last edited:
Any news regarding what caused the accident?

Looking at the speed of arrival surely can only be total brake failure or the driver being unconscious.

Edit:

Read the link above.
Just woke up to this.

This is 1 of the worst crashes I've seen in a long time, go to 3:00 for different camera angles.
Hope all involved are ok, driver's & marshals.
Just read the last posts here....

Last edited by a moderator:
Any news regarding what caused the accident?
A yellow safety light flashed, which caused Daruvala to naturally slow down. Floersch seems to have hit his car, lost a wheel and spun down the inside of the track, taken off over the kerb, just missed Tsuboi's head and smacked into the photographers stand rollbar first.

Let's hope the injuries are nothing permanent on all 5 casualties.

Looking at the footage again, for the driver at least it was lucky that photographer/marshall's post was there, otherwise she'd have cleared the boundary and hit the buildings behind.

Looking at it, the major thing to blame is the sausage kerb. Lisboa always had a stupid kerb in there, but I remember the commentators stating that it had been changed this year, into a big blue sausage kerb. That just acted as a launch ramp for the car, almost taking the head of the driver she hit.

You could say this about a lot of races.
To be honest, we're pretty much just waiting for something similar to happen at Monaco. That marshals post at Ste Devote at Monaco always makes me cringe whenever I see it, an accident like this at T1 would likely see the car hitting marshals and a building with nothing in the way if a car manages to get airborne.

It will never be of my opinion that a circuit should be foregone because it's "too dangerous" as some might say. We know racing is inherently dangerous and everyone accepts that risk. However, at such a high level of racing, i.e. Formula 3, how the hell did the FIA allow such a corner to be almost completely unprotected? The catch fence was extremely low and did nothing to avert or slow the acceleration of the car, and worse yet, they put an unprotected marshals stand and a bunch of photographers behind it!? Not only that, but there's a large pole to the right of where the car hit, and had the car struck that pole we could have seen that car split in two, or worse, create a fireball of parts and debris. To keep piling on here, imagine if that car had come in just a few feet lower were it had the potential to directly hit the marshals or photographers standing by the guard rail (Like what almost happened at Lemans in 2011). This incident reminds me of accidents from the 60s and 70s when these sort of accidents were unfortunately common place, but today, this could have easily been avoided with better planning and a taller stronger catch fence.

Looking at it, the major thing to blame is the sausage kerb. Lisboa always had a stupid kerb in there, but I remember the commentators stating that it had been changed this year, into a big blue sausage kerb. That just acted as a launch ramp for the car, almost taking the head of the driver she hit.
This is a good point. My understanding is that sausage curbs are usually used in areas to keep drivers from respecting track limits. Is one needed there instead of just a flat curb? I'm not too familiar with the track.

There's been a few incidents now with these curbs, I remember a few years ago I think it was during a gp3 race at Spa that that a sausage curb launched a car at the bus stop.

A yellow safety light flashed, which caused Daruvala to naturally slow down. Floersch seems to have hit his car, lost a wheel and spun down the inside of the track, taken off over the kerb, just missed Tsuboi's head and smacked into the photographers stand rollbar first.

Let's hope the injuries are nothing permanent on all 5 casualties.

Same here. Holy 🤬, that was scary.

The speed with which Floersch went flying through that area was frightening - her speed trap figure was 171mph before the braking zone.

Roo
Alex Rossi drives in the Baja and has this oh-so-close moment. Link because swearing.

He didn’t even know it happened and never saw that car. Someone showed him the video after he did his section and handed off the car to a different driver and he had no knowledge of it happening. My friend Pat Dailey is a driver for the Ridgeline team and posted that on his fb page. Crazy.

I'm not saying this as a reaction to this crash specifically, but honestly, Macau surely can't be worth the hassle.
Every time a bad crash happens somewhere, someone thinks it’s a good idea to abandon the circuit. Every time someone gets hurt in IndyCar, someone writes an article about IndyCar racing “not being worth it”.

Is what’s left of Eau Rouge worth it?

Is the Isle of Mann worth it?

A spectator died at Rally Monte Carlo last year...is that event worth it?

If we took that attitude of every time something bad happened, there would be no motor racing left. Specific changes to the flagging system, and/or to the curbs and catch fencing are definitely worth considering....but abandon the whole event?

Yep. If that was a regular curb, it still would have been a big hit, but all the cars would have stayed inside the fence.

Back