Motorsport OMG / WTF moments - Racing Funnies, Fails, Crashes, And Randomness

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 5,369 comments
From the Michelin Pilot Challenge before the D24

Not sure why there’s so few tires there, why wouldn’t more of that wall be protected instead of just that small section? Or why wouldn’t there be SAFER barrier there, I don’t really see an excuse to not have it.

From the Michelin Pilot Challenge before the D24

Not sure why there’s so few tires there, why wouldn’t more of that wall be protected instead of just that small section? Or why wouldn’t there be SAFER barrier there, I don’t really see an excuse to not have it.

Mostly becuase that is a really strange place to impact the wall, especially so front on.

2ad2e7eaeb52dfbc42426d1591971530.gif

No idea how the other Marc Mustang of Percat missed making contact with the Mercedes. As bad as this crash was. Could have been even worse.

*Language warning*

Edit: Terrifying is the right word. Never seen a roll over at the part of the track before. :scared:

That 2nd video shows how little it takes to lose it sometimes. Well it's not so little maybe but it was in an almost straight line and smooth part seems.

TIL the 1981 Pocono 500, run on the USAC side during the early days of the CART/USAC split, invited Silver Crown cars to make up the numbers. As far as I can make out Silver Crown cars were like longer wheelbase sprint cars, designed to run on mile ovals. I can't find footage but the photos are strange enough.

88397675_211347089972139_7048215270321553408_n.jpg

This is mental. Qualifying for the 2000 German Grand Prix.

It started to rain literally as the session started so there was a mad dash by all 22 cars to get in one dry lap. What followed was a super shootout with all 22 cars following each other, scrambling for position. Frentzen cuts the chicane to jump to first in the queue and by the time the drivers are completing the flying dry lap, the track is already too wet for slicks.

This is arguably a very somber compilation for the most part, especially the Purley/Williamson situation, but the fact they've tried to spin the absolute ****-show farce that was the Barrichello/Schumacher fiasco in Austria 2001-2002 and the subsequent Indy actions are just... comical. The whole situation was an antithesis to sportsmanship.

David Purley shaking his head and gesturing to be left alone is just so heart wrenching.

Jackie Stewart being saved from his mangled BRM by Graham Hill and Bob Bondurant should have been on the list. Nobody knew Stewart had even crashed until Hill serendipitously span off at roughly the same part of the track.

It's also the catalyst for Stewart's safety campaign against the dreadful conditions that were lamented in the video. I honestly think that one incident is the single most important thing to ever happen to Formula One.

Been in the mood for watching old motorsport videos this month (mostly SCCA events, BPR Global GT and Group A rally). Last night it was a live stage event held at nearby Weston Park that had me mentally betting on which of the Kadetts/Astras would survive the water splash.

Derek Bell @24:20
FAIL

Mats Jonsson @38:21
PASS

Malcolm Wilson @42:20
FAIL

Josef Haider @46:20
PASS

Andrew Wood @50:01
FAIL

GM Euro Sport-prepped cars > GM Dealer Sport-prepped cars

Last edited: