Motorsport OMG / WTF moments - Racing Funnies, Fails, Crashes, And Randomness

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 5,373 comments

Valentino Rossi, arguably the greatest motorcycle racer of our time, and Lewis Hamilton, arguably the greatest automobile racer of our time, swap rides. Yes, it's a publicity stunt as both are sponsored by Monster Energy, but it's also entirely possible that Rossi could end up in an F1 car once his motorcycle racing days are done.

pfftt. yeah, I mean... remember when Jeff Gordon and Juan Montoya swapped their Chevrolet Monte Carlo cup car, and and BMW Williams FW 24 F1 car!?? It's not like Juan ended up driving a NAS.. Car.. for.... years,.. .. oh... wait....

... but yeah, Rossi isn't get an F1 drive anytime soon... or ever.

No. It's as far from that as possible. He has no chance of racing contemporary F1 cars ever.
Okay, maybe not F1, but he is fast in a car. He tested for Ferrari and was offered a ride, which he turned down. He's beaten professional drivers in the Monza Rally. He's raced in the WRC. Once he's done on motorcycles, he will definitely move to four wheels. Maybe not F1, but some top tier team in a top tier series is going to sign him and be happy they did.

Valentino Rossi, arguably the greatest motorcycle racer of our time, and Lewis Hamilton, arguably the greatest automobile racer of our time, swap rides. Yes, it's a publicity stunt as both are sponsored by Monster Energy, but it's also entirely possible that Rossi could end up in an F1 car once his motorcycle racing days are done.

If Rossi had made the switch years ago with Ferrari (he was only few tenths of Schumachers best time) he could've done it and I'd have no doubt he'd have won the championship. But he's too old now to switch to F1. If he did make the move, it'll be to Williams or another backmarker as part of an insane sponsorship agreement.
Also does he have enough points for a superlicence?

Roo

Johan Kristoffersson drives from 21st to 3rd in less than 1 lap of a wet Sepang in the final WTCR round.

Saw that in one of the touring car threads; absolutely mega drive from Kristoffersson. Hope he finds a seat next season.

Just been at the Team Kiwi Racing HQ on a business visit, they got a lot of their race cars on display including their wreck from the 2006 Bathurst 1000. Check out that chassis damage!!!

20200101_112938.jpg
20200101_113013.jpg
20200101_113300.jpg

Crash footage

:lol: at a 24 sec stop for tyres being described as quick.

I remember that in the late-era supertouring BTCC a decent two-tyre change went from 12 seconds to 4 seconds in the space of 2 years.

In the first year, 1998, the cars were being jacked up twenty miles off the ground with drivers constantly being reminded about clutch drag. By 2000, Honda were already taking off the old tyre before the car had finished being jacked up.

Last edited:
From The Archives: Ending Of The 1992 Bathurst 1000

It gets interesting from the 2:10 mark. The sight of the 3-wheel Nissan creating a bow wave through the Dipper is quite something.

And an astonishingly unpleasant podium ceremony, I'd forgotten that!

From The Archives: Ending Of The 1992 Bathurst 1000

It gets interesting from the 2:10 mark. The sight of the 3-wheel Nissan creating a bow wave through the Dipper is quite something.

My dad was there. He was legit standing in the room next to the podium, and Dick Johnson took his hat. I cannot make this up. He was working for Dunlop, and he remembers having to prepare rain tyres for pretty much the entire field overnight. Back in those days you couldn't just get a set of wet tyres, it had to be grooved by hand. What made things worse was that they'd already prepared dry tyres under the premise that there'd be no rain... The forecast changed really quickly. And this was the result. My dad witnessed folklore play out right in front him.

Can any of our Finnish members give a brief summary of what Häkkinen says here? I'd be really interested to know; this was a year before he eventually would debut in F1 with Lotus.

Back