Motorsport OMG / WTF moments - Racing Funnies, Fails, Crashes, And Randomness

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 5,353 comments
^ Fabio Leimer is GP2's official crash tester. Dallara should hire him, because I don't think any serious team is looking for his services.

Whilst fuel pumps got stuck a lot, it's not everyday you see someone nearly decapitated with a lollipop.

Heh...I was watching that race with my mother-in-law, and she literally asked about 30 seconds earlier:
Her: "How do they know when to leave the pits without a rear-view mirror?"
Me: "Well, the guy with that round thing on a stick is supposed to wait for everyone else to finish..."
We got a really good laugh out of that perfect bit of timing.

Roo
...Also, whisper it... repost.

Contributing:

Touché...? :lol:

Perfect timing from the cameraman, followed it beautifully from zoom in to zoom out!

Last edited:
This thread doesn't necessarily have to be about crashes, so;

I bet WTF is what the Red Bull guys were thinking.

Unfortunately Button, you can't defect in the middle of a grand prix.

Quick question.
What if the jack man was to get in front of Button?
This would get Button stuck.
Is something like this legal? Would they be able to do that without penalty since it was Button who messed up by going to the wrong pits?

I see your Fuji and I raise you an Oulton Park.

This clip has been used at every marshal training day I have ever attended. Second rule of marshal club: Don't jump the armco until the red flags are out and the rest of the field has slowed down!

Can we have a (no reposts) warning or something to that extent in the thread title? Page four is fine, but there were quite a few duplicates on page 3. Obviously, if this thread becomes one of those big 100+ pages, we can't really avoid it, but the forum regulars will start to cringe after we see Button stopping at the Red Bull pits for the fortieth time.

Anyway, here is Hans Herrmann's miraculous escape during the 1959 grand prix at the fearsome Avus circuit.

Can we have a (no reposts) warning or something to that extent in the thread title? Page four is fine, but there were quite a few duplicates on page 3. Obviously, if this thread becomes one of those big 100+ pages, we can't really avoid it, but the forum regulars will start to cringe after we see Button stopping at the Red Bull pits for the fortieth time.

Apologies for that repost. I did scan the thread before I posted it. My only explanation would be my internet connection being horribly slow recently, and the page not being fully loaded, resulting in that video not showing up on my screen.

The other day something similar happened in the F1 caption game thread, it only loaded about a centimetre of the image and then stopped. Refreshing, opening it in new tab, closing firefox and re-opening, trying another browser, they all did nothing. It just stopped loading completely. It worked fine the next day though. :odd:

No worries. I know you would at least make an effort. Was just thinking of the people who would naively post something thinking they were the first people in the world to see something.

Do you share an internet connection by any chance? I did a while ago and was trying to watch live F1 and my flatmate was torrenting a billion things in preparation for her holidays. :ouch::ouch::ouch:

I'm serious, she had like 300 hours of tv on there... She'd have been better off just staying at home if that was her plan for her holiday.

And the award for unluckiest driver goes too...
1999 LeMans:

Zondervoot 2004:

LeMans 2010:

Didn't the one of the other CLR drivers die in a racing accident? Those things had a bit of bad luck attached to them.

No drivers died piloting the Flying Squadron, after Dumbrecks car flipped Mercedes pulled the other one from the race and that ended their presence at Le Mans...

I always thought the 1999 Merc-goes-airborne one was Mark Webber. I know he has one down Indianapolis one the same weekend, but I thought it was him on both counts.

Edit: Ah, Webber had it twice before Dumbrecks. Dumbrecks was the catalyst for the race withdrawal 👍

No drivers died piloting the Flying Squadron, after Dumbrecks car flipped Mercedes pulled the other one from the race and that ended their presence at Le Mans...

I didn't saying any drivers died driving one of the Spykers. And Mercedes had planned to enter 3 cars that year, one of them flipped in qualifying and warm-up couldn't make the race, a second (Dumbreck's) flipped in the race, and Mercedes pulled the third one.

Mark Webber was driving the one in that flipped in qualifying/warm-up. Never mind.

But the unluckiest car has to ironically be Aaron's Lucky Dog Dream Machine...I swear that car has at least one major wreck a year.

Anyone remember this one? 1000km LMS race at Monza -08´. Ortelli broke an ancle in that crash(!). The Audi driver must have at least considered crapping his pants!

Some hectic clips - happy nobody was seriously injured in them. If accident's are going to be posted, please keep then strictly driver health friendly.

Some contributions:

Jos Verstappen's pit lap fire

First lap, Conrod Straight at 2010 Bathhurst 1000:

Hirvonen's Rally Finland 2010 pant's soiler:

Also, no posting of quite possibly motorsport's greatest choke yet?!

Last edited:

Thank you. I've been looking for a version of this with Murray Walker commentating. Could only find an audio clip or a video with foreign commentary before.

Idling strategy? No one's buying that DC.

Some hectic clips - happy nobody was seriously injured in them. If accident's are going to be posted, please keep then strictly driver health friendly.

Some contributions:

Jos Verstappen's pit lap fire

The biggest threat to life in such a crash in the driver inhaling hot gases and burning his lungs, rather than himself actually being scorched.

Latest Posts

Back