Motorsport OMG / WTF moments - Racing Funnies, Fails, Crashes, And Randomness

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 5,373 comments
13th Enrique Bernoldi <- 14th David Coulthard

The famous race in Monaco where Coulthard couldn't pass Bernoldi. In fact, Coulthard did pass Bernoldi... it just took him 22 laps to do so.

Then:

The following year, Bernoldi gets very frustrated at not being able to pass Massa. He even throws his hands up in frustration. Eventually in the video he does pass Massa but...

Last edited:

First of all, this is absolutely adorable, and I hope F1 does that more often as the questions the kids ask are genuinely more interesting than those the average journalist asks... but this might be the first time Kimi actually says more than one sentence in an interview. :lol:

Random:

David Coulthard and an old Red Bull with an updated livery were spotted in Bratislava today.

176789923_4321083221243408_2863297090387146244_n.png

Having been spotted on Karlovy Most in Prag earlier in the week, Red Bull must be doing prep for some sort of advertising campaign.

DK
Nah, I'd rather file this under "Farcical" and "Fuel for range anxiety".

The argument of the teams was that it was impossible to reach the end of the race under [something to do with safety cars and energy recalculations thereafter] but evidently some teams did manage it. A farcical end but one that's going to drive development and thinking, so it's all good.

Ogier had an accident on the road.

Has caused some debate as to fault. Its pretty unlucky anyway. I don't know the road rules for Croatia but in the UK the BMW would be at fault for undertaking and driving too fast from what I can see. Definitley speeds up, looked like he fancied to race a WRC car.

Has caused some debate as to fault. Its pretty unlucky anyway. I don't know the road rules for Croatia but in the UK the BMW would be at fault for undertaking and driving too fast from what I can see. Definitley speeds up, looked like he fancied to race a WRC car.

Following on from this; the departure was almost as dramatic as the incident itself.

We need to know two things: if Ogier signaled and if the BMW driver was going over the limit.

If Ogier didn't signal and the BMW was under the limit, it's 100% Ogier's fault.
If Ogier didn't signal but the BMW was over the limit: fault goes 50/50.
If Ogier was signaling and the BMW driver was over the limit: it's 100% the BMW's fault.
If Ogier was signaling and the BMW driver was under the limit: it's the BMW's fault, because as a responsible driver, if you see someone signaling to move on to your lane, you slow down to allow them to perform the maneuver. In collisions, the driver coming from behind is the one usually at fault, because they have the most ample view of the traffic situation, and thus should be able to react accordingly.

EDIT: It should be noted that, in Croatia, in multi-lane city streets, it is legal to pass on the right, provided you are not over the speed limit.

Last edited:
It looks like Ogier was getting ready to pull over/into the driveway. Regardless of legality, that is an asshole move from the left lane.

We need to know two things: if Ogier signaled and if the BMW driver was going over the limit.

If Ogier didn't signal and the BMW was under the limit, it's 100% Ogier's fault.
If Ogier didn't signal but the BMW was over the limit: fault goes 50/50.
If Ogier was signaling and the BMW driver was over the limit: it's 100% the BMW's fault.
If Ogier was signaling and the BMW driver was under the limit: it's the BMW's fault, because as a responsible driver, if you see someone signaling to move on to your lane, you slow down to allow them to perform the maneuver. In collisions, the driver coming from behind is the one usually at fault, because they have the most ample view of the traffic situation, and thus should be able to react accordingly.

EDIT: It should be noted that, in Croatia, in multi-lane city streets, it is legal to pass on the right, provided you are not over the speed limit.

Yeah its difficult to tell from the one video. The one other variation to the situation is whether the BMW speeds up, Ogier is kind of straddling the lane before he commits to the move looking at the angle. And the other car does seem to speed up.

Either way, a definite wtf moment and I'm sure we haven't heard the last of it.

It looks like Ogier was getting ready to pull over/into the driveway. Regardless of legality, that is an asshole move from the left lane.

Yeah, it does seem like Ogier is slowing down as he makes the lane change. As Alonso would say, all the time you have to leave a space.

Random:

David Coulthard and an old Red Bull with an updated livery were spotted in Bratislava today.

View attachment 1006301

Having been spotted on Karlovy Most in Prag earlier in the week, Red Bull must be doing prep for some sort of advertising campaign.

It's Red Bull Technology testing their idea of ultimate ultrasafe F1 of the future: Formula 1:1 Slot Car Racing.

Delétraz drives Hunt's 74 Hesketh around Monaco. (EDIT Modern, in HD, don't be put off by the crap cover image!)

Heavily built, running on powerful fuel and emitting noxious fumes when turned on, Hesketh was one of the more colourful figures of the era.

Last edited:
I can't believe that there are people out there who actually tolerate Ted Kravitz.

Absolute waste of space. I'm sure I've said it before... they cut to his rambling stories in the race and they inevitably take half a lap to get to the point and another 1-2 laps to faff about it. Fortunately he usually gets interrupted. Unfortunately he was on in the first place.

If they must keep him for padcosts and those sorts of meme videing content tubes then that's fine, but keep him out of the main tellybox.

Back