Motorsports Trivia Thread!

• Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 7,179 comments
Wastegate got it, Goodyear's contract is going to be up in the next couple of years and after the Daytona 24 Hours last year and some indications that Michelin have been testing a Stock Car type tire have sped up the rumors. Your turn, Wastegate.

Wastegate
Sorry for the delay ... There have been two completely unrelated teams in the F1 World Championship with the same name. What was it?

I think I have an answer, although I'm not sure, and since it's the first time in this "contest", I don't want to screw it up. But there was ATS (Automobili Turismo e Sport), an Italian constructor and racing team which operated between 1963 and 1965.

There was also ATS (Auto Technisches Zubehor), a German but I'm not sure when they operated... somewhere in the late 70s or early 80s.

ATS
(Automobili Turismo e Sport)
Year of Foundation:1961
Founder:Carlo Citi
Debut:Grand Prix of Belgium 1963
Grand Prix:5

ATS Racing Team
(Auto Technisches Spezialzubehor)
Year of Foundation:1972
Founder:Hans Hunter Schmidt
Debut:Grand Prix of Argentine 1978
with Penske cars - Grand Prix of USA-West 1977
Grand Prix: 89

That would be Johnny Cecotto who drove for Theodore in 1983 and alongside Ayrton Senna in 1984 at Toleman. His F1 career ended with a leg breaking shunt in the Toleman at Brands Hatch.

Wastegate
That would be Johnny Cecotto who drove for Theodore in 1983 and alongside Ayrton Senna in 1984 at Toleman. His F1 career ended with a leg breaking shunt in the Toleman at Brands Hatch.

And I thought it was a hard question. Right you are!

He actually scored one point, reaching 6th place in the USGP West, in 1983. He participated in a total of 23 GPs, and is now racing in a McLaren F1 GTR with Nelson Piquet (Jr, I think).

So, next question.

We seem to be answering these too fast :D

This one may be harder. Which team has the highest ratio of fastest laps to race entries in the F1 World Championship?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Ferrari, since M. Schumacher, N. Mansell, G. Berger and N. Lauda were once part of the team and they are among the fastest lap record holders.

Still, it's not a statistic I have, just putting 2 and 2 together.

No, not Ferrari. That would be too easy. It's not the highest number of fastest laps I'm after but the best ratio ie: fastestlaps/entries

It's bound to be some team that hasn't been around much. Going by that theory, I'll guess at Wolf.

Flash of inspiration. Benetton. They weren't around long, born from Toleman, merged to Renault, fast when they were around.

No, not Benetton either. Benetton's fastest laps per entry is 13%, Wolf's just 3% and Ferrari's is an impressive 25%. But I'm looking for something higher than that.

I'm getting there. I'm working my way up. :D

EDIT: Is it Williams? 128 fastest laps. 496 GPs.

Not Williams either - though 128/496 is, interestingly, marginally ahead of Ferrari. But that would depend on whether you count any of the pre-Williams Grand Prix Engineering starts, like those with de Tomaso. Keep working on up ;)

Hehe. Kojima. 2 starts, 1 fastest lap. 50%. No-one can beat that, can they?

Well played. That was the one I was after. Your turn Daan.

By my calculations, Ferrari would have to get fastest lap in all of the next 358 races to match a 50% record - and that will surely surpass even M Schumacher!

Great question Kev. You got me thinking there.

Next question.

Out of all the drivers who drove in all 18 2004 F1 races, who drove the most laps and who drove the least number of laps?

(remember they have to have driven in all 18 so folk like Ralfie and Jacques don't qualify as they missed a few)

Great question... the previous one, the ratios. It got me thinking it could be one of those teams that lasted very little and got one or two fast laps. Still, I was a bit pressed for time on the computer. Now, this question by daan:

I'm thinking it's the drives who ran most championship races, right? So if the guy did 30 or so laps in training, it shouldn't count. They say that sometimes the most obvious answer is the right one, so I'm going to say that R. Barrichello was the driver than ran the most laps, since I think he only had one DNF in the whole season and the rest of the time he was pretty close there.

I'm going to say the one who had the least laps was between K. Raikkonen and F. Alonso, since both of them went pretty heavy on the DNFs...

Obviously I'm basing these numbers on the DNFs per race... am I on the right track?

Yeah, it's only race laps that count. And the number of laps that they ran in the races they DNF'd in counts too. Basically, it's how many race laps they ran during the season.

You're right with Rubens. He drove the most laps. Schummi only retired once too, but he didn't get as many laps as Rubens.

OK, so the highest is R. Barrichello, with I don't know how many laps.

The lowest, I was about to say Webber, who only ran about 787 laps in the whole season. But the driver who ran less was actually Gianmaria Bruni, with 737, is that right?

Well done Diego.

Complete list
1122 possible laps
Rubens 1107 laps
Schummi 1089
JPM 1076
Fisi 1032
Button 991
DC 983
Massa 969
Alonso 949
Heidfeld 910
Sato 901
Klein 886
Baumgartner 874
Webber 787
Kimi 752
Bruni 736

Yeah, I actually had to look race by race and do the math.

OK; so it's my turn, eh? Just as a side note, Since Formula 1 supposedly started out in 1950, but some people state that it started much before, is it ethical to ask pre-1950 F1 questions? OK, that wasn't the trivia question, though. Here is the question:

Question: The Ayrton Senna Memorial Trophy is usually given to the winner of the International Kart Race at Suzuka, Japan. Who won the Ayrton Senna Memorial Trophy in 1997?

UMM... let's see. Well, obviously Bridgestone and Michelin, which are in right now. I'm quite sure Good Year was in the beginning. At one time or another Pirelli was in, since they made a big deal of it in the ir advertising, back home. And I had to reaearch to see if there were any more, and yes, Dunlop.

So, Bridgestone, Michelin, Good Year, Pirelli and Dunlop. Were there any more?

Back