Motorsports Trivia Thread!

• Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 7,179 comments
What I was after was the fact that in their first ever Grand Prix, the Bridgestone entry Kazayoshi Hoshino in an old Tyrrell 007 retired because the team had run out of tyres! The race was the Japanese GP in 1976, and Bridgestone's second race was the Japanese GP in 1977. Their third was the Australian GP in 1997.

I read about Bridgestone first entering F1 on their website so I guess they wouldn't put something like running out of tyres on their website for everyone to read.

Since no-one else has asked a question and I got the previous question only half right, i'll ask an easy one...
Who is the only New Zealander to win the F1 World Championship, in what year and what car?

Sure was Dennis Hulme, or Denny as he is probably better known as. He beat the boss Sir Jack by five points.
Denny died at Bathurst in 1992 after suffering a heart attack while driving the works BMW car. He was sharing the car with Paul Morris and the team was bieng run by his good friend and former Australian F1 driver Frank Gardner.
I believe non championship GPs should count as wins for a driver, they attracted the same drivers that raced in the championship rounds. The F1 drivers used to come to Australia and New Zealand to contest the Tasman Series using F1 cars. This series incorporated the Australian Grand Prix and the New Zealand Grand Prix.

Which current IRL driver won the 1993 British Formula Vauxhall Lotus Championship?

Was it Ronnie Peterson? I'm assuming that it happened because the World Champion retired. In '93 and '94 we had missing World Champions (Mansell & Prost), but the championship winning team took the numbers 0 and 2 instead of 1 and 2. The previous driver to have retired as champion, as far as I can recall, was Jackie Stewart at the end of '73, and Ronnie drove car #1, a Lotus, in 1974.

Here's another numbers question. Who was the last driver to race with the 'unlucky' number 13 in a World Championship F1 race, and what year was it?

The last time a car carrying the number 13 raced in an F1 championship race was in 1963 at the Mexican Grand Prix. Moises Solana drove a BRM and qualified 11th and was classified as the last finisher after his engine expired after 57 of the 65 laps.

Well done Schrodes, I thought that was a difficult question.

In fact number 13 has only been entered twice for World Championships GPs. Solana
s 1963 entry was the first, the second was a Shellsport/Whiting Surtees TS16 for Divina Galica in the 1976 British GP. Galica failed to qualify, ending up 2.5 seconds away from the final qualifier.

Dale Earnhardt Jr's win in the EA Sports 500 at Talladega on the third of October 2004 gave him the second place on the winners list for Talladega Superspeedway for NASCAR drivers. He won there five times, once in 2004, once in 2003, twice in 2002 and once in 2001. Those first four from 2001 to 2003 was a four in a row winning streak for Dale Earnhardt Jr.
Prior to his win in 2004, there were four drivers tied on four wins each at Talladega since 1969. They were Dale Earnhardt Jr, Bobby Allison, Darrell Waltrip and Buddy Baker.
Of course you may also be counting non NASCAR races which would make my answer wrong.

If you're talking Vanderbilt Cup, only Gil de Ferran (2000 and 2001) has won it back-to-back as it was only awarded to the champion driver since 2000. But to finish off the answer, the drivers to have won in the CART era back-to-back are Alex Zanardi (1998-99), Bobby Rahal (1986-87) and Rick Mears (1981-82).

Took me a while to find it, but it was the number 60 Team Lark McLaren GTR McLaren F1 GTR at the 1996 CP Mine GT with drivers Naoki Hattori (J) and Ralf Schumacher (GRM).

Close enough. The car was the McLaren F1. I was asking for the last non-Japanese champion car. The year was 1996. The drivers were David Brabham and John Nielsen. The last time the F1 won was in 2001 at Motegi with Hideki Okada and Andre Couto at the wheel.

Back