MR Corvette C8 - General Discussion

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 1,292 comments
That would be a little bit of shame. One of the things I really liked in recent Corvettes was the gearing in 1st. My C6Z could run just under 60 in first, and a M7 C7Z I drove was around 50-55mph, and you'd usually bang into 100mph at either the bottom or top of 3rd respectively. So needing 5th to hit 100mph sounds rather odd & disappointing to me for a new Corvette.

Assuming that 7th and 8th are overdrives, I'd wager 100 MPH would come up in 3rd or (more likely) early 4th.

That was strange being in a sceniaro where you can show yourself driving it without leaving a comment lol.

Either way looks pretty good, didn't have any front end push from what I saw and those shifts where fast.

Gearbox seems pretty fast. Car sounds good. Looks pretty fast. Unfortunately...still ugly.
Yep. Even if GM cranks out some souped-up track-oriented Vette that's the fastest American car ever or sets some Nurburgring lap record, it will never fully have my interest since the C8 is simply an ugly duckling, and it seems there's no way around that. Unfortunate.

u2wxt0bgver95lfygexm.jpg

oc4u90tiiswct241duje.jpg

dafonoxkshqb27xej6k7.jpg

aaimz5dcsbycege1zlq1.jpg

https://jalopnik.com/corvette-racing-will-battle-the-world-with-its-new-mid-1838721045

No bad as a race car. Not bad at all.

Edit: Hope a GT3 is in the works. Pretty hard to take on the world, with only a few makes to race against.

It's a real shame that we won't be hearing that deep-throated V8 anymore... When I went to Le Mans all those years ago, the noise was soo distinct that even my mum could pick it. That 6.2 V8 had the meanest, most aggressive engine sound on the grid. Now it's going to be replaced by a flat-plane V8 that's more akin to a Ferrari... I'm really saddened by that.

Not necessarily, they could've done something similar to Ford with the Shelby GT350 to make the flat-plane crank v8 more throaty.

Am I the only one that sees traces of the NSX GT3 in the silhouette of the C8.R? Especially in the side profile.

They converted one of the most charismatic sports car in a discount Ferrari supercar.

But if I were an IMSA/WEC GT racing team, I would be ******** my pants right now. The have been always competitive. Imagine what they will be able to achive with a car mounting the engine in the right place.

Am I the only one that sees traces of the NSX GT3 in the silhouette of the C8.R? Especially in the side profile.

Not just you:

Well automobile shapes have always been like that. Depending on the decade, a Ferrari 250 GTO looks similar to a Shelby Daytona.
A C7 has a shape and lines similar to a Ferrari Berlinetta.

It's a real shame that we won't be hearing that deep-throated V8 anymore... When I went to Le Mans all those years ago, the noise was soo distinct that even my mum could pick it. That 6.2 V8 had the meanest, most aggressive engine sound on the grid. Now it's going to be replaced by a flat-plane V8 that's more akin to a Ferrari... I'm really saddened by that.
Agreed. It sounds castrated.:(

Last edited:
" 'Highway to the danger zone!' ... It's such a Detroit hair-band mid engine car"

:lol:

I haven't warmed up to the styling at all. Its just so damn clunky.

It seems like a bunch of outlets had broken the driving impressions embargo so everyone's just releasing their thoughts now. Here's a "meta" review

https://www.motor1.com/news/376511/2020-corvette-review-meta/

Obligatory one take

I'm a little surprised that he didn't think of the passenger angle immediately, or until he was one. That was one of my very first thoughts looking at the interior... wow that sucks for the passenger. Honestly I think it might be even more off-putting that the rear end, which is very off-putting. It seems like GM got a lot of things very right, and a few things very wrong.

It's like almost three months have passed already since the C8 was unveiled and I can see some folks still sob over its exterior design.

It's like almost three months have passed already since the C8 was unveiled and I can see some folks still sob over its exterior design.
Its like almost three months since the C8 was unveiled and the exterior design still sucks.

Motor Trend is reporting a lot more power than advertised.

I'm always a little skeptical of these magazine dyno tests. I wonder if somebody punched in something wrong on the computer...And 15% drivetrain loss is a lot for a mid engine car. For reference, the LT1 powered C7 (quite similar engine) produced just a tick over 400hp at wheels, per Edmunds and owner consensus.

Back