MR Corvette C8 - General Discussion

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 1,292 comments
Chevrolet released one photo of the upcoming C8 Z06 on their IG.
2023-chevrolet-corvette-z06-001-1-1632752309.jpg

*Corvette released it.

Idk, it looks kinda bland. The silver isn't aggressive, the wheels aren't aggressive, the spoiler isn't aggressive. I'm sure there will be other combinations but this combo looks like the "GT" spec. I expected more heat.

*Corvette released it.

Idk, it looks kinda bland. The silver isn't aggressive, the wheels aren't aggressive, the spoiler isn't aggressive. I'm sure there will be other combinations but this combo looks like the "GT" spec. I expected more heat.
Mind you, there's a few with pretty aggressive looking aero that's been testing on the nurb along with this car with the least aggressive aero. Most likely will be the Z07 package with the big wing, splitter and canards. I can't wait to see that one.

*Corvette released it.

Disagree with this take. The C6 Z06 is still probably my favorite Corvette ever and that car was quite subtle (aside from being exotic-car wide). I don't like the C8, but I like that the C8 Z06 is more like the C6 Z06 than the C7 Z06...which I hated.

Looks more luxury with the bright wheels. The silver in that pic makes it look like a 458. Not a negative.
Are those twilight's blackesd out? If so, that'd be nice.

5.5l flat-plane crank V8, 670hp @ 8400rpm and normally aspirated, going to be called LT6.
Down ~700cc. Interesting. I'd get destroking for turbochargers.
This would have actually have been the appropriate engine to call LT5.
I neither agree nor disagree, but I'd be interested to know your reasoning.

What should the C7 ZR1 motor have been called?

Really like that red convertible they're showing with the black roll pillars. Gives it a 720S Spider vibe from a couple angles.

Edit* Guess I'll have to play around with their configurator later tonight or wait til' they update it. Lots of stuff not loading properly.

Last edited:

I neither agree nor disagree, but I'd be interested to know your reasoning.

What should the C7 ZR1 motor have been called?
I'm guessing to be a spiritual successor to the original Lotus-developed, DOHC C4 ZR-1 LT5.

Flat plane crank V8s suffer from secondary imbalance. They've no doubt gone with such an over-square design to reduce piston speed in an attempt to minimize vibrations. 5.5 is still huge for a flat plane crank V8.

I'm guessing to be a spiritual successor to the original Lotus-developed, DOHC C4 ZR-1 LT5.
The Gen V LT5 has something in common with the C4's DOHC LT5 that no engine built for the C8 ever will. It went into a front-engine, RWD Corvette from the factory.

:sly:

No doubt the LT6 will end up in restomods.

[Edit: I hadn't caught that the LT6 is DOHC. Yeah, that seems more deserving of the designation. Apologies.]

Flat plane crank V8s suffer from secondary imbalance. They've no doubt gone with such an over-square design to reduce piston speed in an attempt to minimize vibrations. 5.5 is still huge for a flat plane crank V8.
Very good point. I hadn't considered the implications of the 180Ā° crank.

Jeebus. I just looked up the bore and stroke. Wild. Quick head math says that's even more oversquare than Ma Mopar's 400 big block.

Last edited:
I love everything about this, except that starter position is scaring me.

Screenshot_20211027-141955_Instagram.jpg

Northstar ptsd all over again.

I love everything about this, except that starter position is scaring me.

View attachment 1090199

Northstar ptsd all over again.
That's where Toyota put the starter on the 2UZ, down in the valley. Protects it from weather and dirt, keeps the temperature consistent, etc. Mine is stock and going on 190k miles. Apparently they never even need replaced, just a quick and cheap rebuild kit and they're good for another life cycle that most cars never achieve.

But that's a Toyota part. Results may vary lol.

Z07 aero with black base Z06 wheels would look good imo. Don't really like the 5 star carbon wheels.
They're mostly a marketing gimmick anyway. Race cars don't use carbon wheels for a reason, partially durability and mostly heat dissipation. Metal wheels act as huge heat sinks for the brakes and tires. The only reason we used carbon wheels on the FSAE car was because we never generated any brake heat anyway which allowed the weight advantage to become justifiable. On a road car they don't make sense from any standpoint except insane profit margin.

Last edited:
That's where Toyota put the starter on the 2UZ, down in the valley. Protects it from weather and dirt, keeps the temperature consistent, etc. Mine is stock and going on 190k miles. Apparently they never even need replaced, just a quick and cheap rebuild kit and they're good for another life cycle that most cars never achieve.

But that's a Toyota part. Results may vary lol.
Now just imagine it as a GM part mounted midship. šŸ˜…

Interesting little bit of trivia

As revealed in Motortrend's first impression of the Z06 and confirmed to us by a GM spokesperson, the "Corvette team" benchmarked early C8 prototypes against a Ferrari 458, way back when the C8 was wrapped in a Holden Ute body shell. That would've been about 2013 or 2014, before the 488 GTB came out. When it did finally drop, GM sold off its 458 and bought oneā€”only to sell the 488 and purchase another used 458. The naturally aspirated Ferrari wasn't just more analogous to the Z06 than the 488 and its forced induction; the 458 was apparently, as Motortrend put it, "more soulful."

Some time ago we moved the Corvette team into the EV space in Warren, Michigan, and when we revealed the new mid-engine Corvette, I said there would be ā€œmore to come.ā€ This morning I sat down with Phil LeBeau of CNBC and finally answered the question Iā€™ve been asked countless times.

Yes, in addition to the amazing new Chevrolet Corvette Z06 and other gas-powered variants coming, we will offer an electrified and a fully electric, Ultium-based Corvette in the future. In fact, we will offer an electrified Corvette as early as next year. Details and names to come at a later date.

In addition, we also announced today Ultium Platformā€™s energy recovery system, a patented onboard system that takes the heat generated by EV batteries and uses it to warm the cabin, create more efficient charging conditions, and even increase vehicle acceleration. And it can boost the vehicleā€™s range by about 10%. Itā€™s a perfect example of how developing a ground-up EV platform like Ultium enables unique features not easily done with a retrofit.
Mark Reuss, President of GM

Last edited:
Back