Murray Walker, 1923-2021

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 42 comments
Devastated.

IMG_0993.JPG

Always sad to lose a legend like Murray but he did live a long, great life and he said a couple of years ago he was very content even though he couldn't attend races any more. He saw what he wanted to, he went places he wanted to, and did what he loved as a living. Can't want more than that.

Races around the pearly gates just got themselves a great commentator.

Rest in peace Murray Walker, you were truly a gent of a man and in my brief times I met you at the British Grand Prix you were always a sparkling personality to chat to!

Truly a gent of a man, you will never be forgotten!

Since we didn't have much F1 coverage here in the US when I was younger, one of my first exposures to Murray was through the early F1 video games. I can't remember which one he was on but I still remember "That's a Ferrari!!!!" or "It's SCHUMACHER!!!!".

Now through Youtube and other means I got to hear what others had been hearing for decades. Love listening to his race calls. He will be truly missed.

R.I.P.

It's hard to overstate Murray Walker's importance, influence and legacy.

He was truly a pioneer of live sports commentary, and frankly we may never see the likes again. His sheer passion for motorsport was obvious in his commentary, and he coupled it with warmth, humour and a wonderful personality that made his relationships with his co-commentators a joy to listen to. Of course, he will also be remembered and loved for some classic moments of unintended humour, but as my current sig attests to, he never really made mistakes, they were just Murrayisms.

The day he decided to retire was a sad moment, but even in retirement, he seemed to be as lively, enthusiastic and entertaining as ever.

RIP Murray Walker

285996D3-886A-4EDD-B19E-0FB1E3958C02.jpeg

Last edited:
Motorsports as a whole lost a legend today.

If you watched any classic touring car racing, British Rallycross on Youtube, chances are that Muarry was there commenting and you were treated to some of the most notable quotes in racing.

From covering Clelend’s flipping of the bird at Soper with ‘I’m going for 1st! says John Clelend.’ to the famous cry of ‘Oh God!’ when Schumacher’s tyre went in to lower orbit after colliding with Colthuard at Spa in 1998. :lol:

For most of us, he was THE voice of motorsport and as mentioned here, his legacy will be hard to overstate.

And he graced us with a long and well lived 97 years.. :(

Here’s to you Murray, Say hi to Hunt for us and Thank you for making iconic moments even more iconic. :cheers:

Sad news to hear. You always could feel the love and passion he had for his job and the sport, everytime he was commentating.

May he rest in peace and continue to watch over the races from above.

Motorsport has lost a true icon. Walker lived a fantastic life to go all the way to 97.

RIP.

I never heard a lot of Murray Walker commentary, but for what I was able to hear, he was CLASSIC. I guess my first experience of M. Walker was when I played the PS1 demo of "Formula One" and heard his commentary. Then one time, I heard a compilation of some of Murray Walker's iconic F1 calls. Suffice to say, he WAS F1 commentary. People throw around the word "legend" these days about almost anyone really awesome. Well, Murray Walker is a REAL legend. Also an iron man to live to be 97. It's sad to see him go. Forever he'll be in our hearts.

R.I.P., Murray Walker. Thank you for the memories.

For me, his voice will forever be linked to that song and screaming vee engines.

So long Murray, thanks for all the words, enthusiasm, laughs, excitement and even the odd tear now and again.
You set the standard for entertaining fans and will forever by the yardstick. Its almost impossible to think what televised motorsport would be if not for your influence.

Absolutely gutted. The racing world has lost both a legendary voice and a major pillar of motorsport. While my time viewing classic F1 and/or British motorsport is admittedly lacking, I'd still say that Murray Walker was just as important and noteworthy to racing as the teams, manufacturers and drivers that he called races for.

Plus, he was the central pillar in one of my favorite commercials ever.

R.I.P. Mr. Walker.

Last edited:
I'm gutted. I happened upon this terrible news while scrolling through the news on my phone.

RIP, Murray Walker. As I've said already, no one could tell a story like you.

Totally gutted. He was F1 for me. It wasn’t long after he left I stopped watching it.

so sad.

My favourite ever;
"There are a lot of IFs in Formula One, in fact IF is Formula One backwards!"

Murray said some seemingly crazy stuff but fans always knew exactly what he was on about, that's a skill right there.

Thanks for the memories Murray. What a guy :bowdown:

Last edited:
Went to my BBC Sport app during the rugby to see what their live text was saying about an incident when I saw the news on the front page.
Devastated. I think he is the single greatest sports commentator to ever live. Such passion for all forms of motorsport and that lead to his unique and great commentary. Motorsport has lost one of it's true greats today.

Genuinely saddened by this, his voice is plastered on some of Motor Racings greatest moments,

I grew up in the 90's listening to Walkers commentary.. One of my key moments was when I stayed up to watch Damon Hill win the 1996 Formula 1 Title, and Murray was finding it hard to control his emotions.

As a huge fan of the BTCC, I loved his commentary during the Super Touring era.

It's sad but at least he was able to live a long full successful life.

Rest in Peace legend.

Take a whole bunch of mainly 4 door saloons, add power and sponsors and call it the BTCC, but the sprinkling of magic that brought it all together was Murray Walker. Rest in peace, my motorsport education could not have been better.

Rest in Peace, King.

Thanks for making F1 such an exciting sport.

When I was young I played F1 2001 on Ps1 a lot. Murray Walkers commentating made it so much better. This is what todays f1 games lack which is proper commentators.

Here is Murray Walker doing a interview with the Big Man himself!!

Last edited:
I'm away on business, unable to sleep, I read the news and now I'm crying my eyes out.

Murray was the voice and soul of F1 for all the years that I loved it the most.

I have to stop now because I have a lump in my throat.

RIP :(

Back