Murray Walker, 1923-2021

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 42 comments
Being latinamerican, I've never got the honor to hear him live (especially since I've joined f1 being 6 years old in 2003, the James Allen era).

Over here we have the Argentine Fernando Tornello, who stills runs the booth today from all the way to Senna's crash afaik, but, despite his professionalism, he never (or barely) puts the emotion that can distinguish a good sports narrator (and his son Enrico who narrates f2, f3, lemans and the blancpain gt, seems to follow the same line)...

R.I.P legend :nervous::nervous:

Last edited:
I started this thread with "Words fail me". Not just a classic snippet from Murray but an actual reflection of how I feel.

I had to work today and then drive four hours home... genuinely just wanted to curl up and cry. I'm shocked at how shocked I am, it just isn't sinking in. If we're all honest we suspected that Murray wasn't really immortal, he was just all of our motorsport lives rolled up into squeaks of excitement and irritation.

Motorsport in general is always going to be missing something without him.

Truly terrible news. Being Spanish I never knew of him growing up, but nowadays the British broadcast, with his commentary, is my go-to whenever I watch old races. He really was special.

May he rest in peace.

Totally gutted. He was F1 for me. It wasn’t long after he left I stopped watching it.

so sad.

It was the same for me. His enthusiasm was extremely contagious. He could have made dressage exciting. RIP, legendary legend.

He's up there with the all-time greats. So many of the best are no longer with us - Richie Bernaud, Peter Alice, Dan Maskell, David Coleman, Bill McLaren, Sid Waddell, Brian Moore.

And now Murray. It's sad when these soundtracks to our lives start to leave us.

I was crying tears of sadness when I heard at the weekend, but now I'm crying tears of absolute laughter.

The man was a genius and way faster off the mark than the men he commentated on.

Despite him retiring in 2001 from full time commentating it only seems like last year to me.

What a man, what a legend - if I only had one word to describe Murray at what he did then that word would be "irreplaceable".

His commentary style was perfect for this back-and-forth battle. I've heard other commentators cover this race, and they just didn't compare. He would have been a suitable commentator for the frantic pace of ice hockey had he lived on the other side of the pond, but it was this style of commentary applied to F1 that made Murray Walker special.

RIP Murray

I only started watching F1 in 2002 so I never got to hear him live, but boy I understand why he is such a revered character. Listening to all his commentary years later, it's still as exciting as ever and I have no doubt his Murrayisms will live on long into the future in racing lore.

Some more MW goodness to remember an exceptional man.

And one of his last ever interviews I think, from August 2020.
https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aH...d=0CAUQkfYCahcKEwiAp9vY9rvvAhUAAAAAHQAAAAAQAQ

Last edited:
I was watching F1's tribute to Murray Walker, and you can't help but cry. He brought so much to motorsports commentary and did so with such unique passion and purpose. His passing just makes you appreciate just what he brought to the proverbial table. In a way, I almost feel like wanting to play "Formula 1" on the PS1 some more, just to hear Murray Walker's eccentric commentary.

Back