Mustang's GSX-R 750 thread!

Yeah that's to be expected. But fixing them up is what increases the value, so get to it! Haha.

I will eventually lol. Gonna cut out that connector and solder in the wires with some heat shrink around them. I haven't even ridden the thing in a week since Tropical storm Andrea has been throwing rain at me :(

Time for tires! Anyone have any reccomendations? I'm thinking about these Michelin Pilot Power 2CTs. Dual compound, so should get me better wear for every day riding, and then have the awesome grip for corners.

Rear: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/72/962/2194/ITEM/Michelin-Pilot-Power-2CT-Rear-Tire.aspx

Front: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/72/962/2206/ITEM/Michelin-Pilot-Power-2CT-Front-Tire.aspx

That set would cost me exactly $250 thru them

Then there's these as well, Shinko 011. Liking the looks of these from price, good reviews of grip, and a long tread life

Rear: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/72/962/28036/ITEM/Shinko-011-Verge-Radial-Rear-Tire.aspx

Front: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/72/962/28032/ITEM/Shinko-011-Verge-Radial-Front-Tire.aspx

Last edited:
I would wholeheartedly recommend Bridgestones.
Bridgestone's commitment to great service, value, and performance makes it a great tire for any occasion. With lots of models to choose from, Bridgestone has your back.
Totally not endorsing them because they gave me a free set of race tires, nah...

Any name brand company ill work fine honestly, those look like fine tires for the street. (Although Bridgestone R-10s are a very good tire if you want more grip.)

Just for street use I believe. May make a few drag strip passes, but I doubt I'll be riding down a track with turns anytime soon. Just trying to balance grip and tread life. I use my bike for commuting, so the tread life is really important. I'm talking like 8-10k miles on the bike per year so I'd really love not to go thru 2 sets during a year

Oh man, that's a lot of riding.
Any tire would be fine for drag racing, it'll wheelie before it spins. (Assuming there is a bit of heat in the tire.)

Yeah I ride a lot. I put 9k on my GS in the 10 months I had it, and also about 8k on the truck in that time. I ride because its far cheaper on gas!

Well, started ordering tires. Skipped on the Pilot Power 2CT... started reading about them, and the center is the same tread compound as the Pilot Power, only the outside 20% are softer. So I saved 12 bucks on the front I ordered today by getting the "basic" mono compound Pilot Power

Got the Pilot put on the front! And it started pouring 5 miles later. Hydroplaned the front end 3 times on the ride home, going about 30mph 👎

I'll get to riding it more today... Or I'll end up working on it. Need to hardwire my left hand control plug where it meets the harness on the bike. Bad connections are causing the HIDs to blow the headlight fuse as soon as I try to turn them on. That and I'm tired of my headlights turning off when I hit a bump :lol: I'm back on stock bulbs right now 👎

But I did do something I think is going to look great. Painted my '93 top plate, which will go on the bike when I get the gauge bracket and longer bolts so I keep using my '94 ignition

1002777_10201385724987359_2004652816_n.jpg

941163_10201384304311843_1030817877_n.jpg

Hard wired my headlight harness, hard wired the left hand control harness, and dear lord was that a pain! The people before me really messed it all up, I'm surprised anything worked. There were wires spliced into wires, connected to wrong wires, and other wires not connected right and jumpered into something else!

2 hours later the bike has its bodywork back on, I have my sanity, and now the headlights won't cut out!

Also found out why my HIDs started blowing fuses... right side ballast is bad. So currently I have a halogen over there and my HID that's left hooked into high beam on the other :lol:

Warrantied the ballast, got a new one for free, installed, went for a ride, got home and the other light wasn't working. And starting today I'm blowing the fuse again.

Hello return, and I'll get the hyper white halogens for the bike. Love HIDs but I can't not have reliable headlights.

And tightened up the nut thing for the head bearings... Suddenly I don't have a lot of head shake and play. It had basically backed itself all the way off. We put like 5 full rotations and now it finally feels proper again!

Well that sucks for the HIDs, but with my bike at least the projectors are enough, I have been told by everyone that they hate driving in front of me, day or night because of my lights. :lol:

Yes, having reliable headlights is kinda a thing you want when around cages.:)

I'm not so much worried about the cages as I am the amount of night riding I do, which is about half the time on the bike. I ride with a tinted visor as well, even at night, so headlight flickers turn into oh **** moments when I have to finish a corner 100% blind :eek:

On the plus side, I cleaned my bike! Second time since purchase in April :lol: Cleaned and lubed the chain as well. The wax is holding up well everywhere but on the tank... Shocking.

600513_10201481186693842_130046246_n.jpg

You can see the grips decently well in this pic. They are wearing out, but appear to be stock gixxer grips from a newer year

1002777_10201385724987359_2004652816_n.jpg

Ah ok.

Get yourself a set of these.
renthalgrips.jpg

That style of Renthal is awesome, and stock grips are garbage. (Even on a $30,000 Ducati.)
It'll make the bike easier to ride, and you'll have more control.

Oh yes.

They have most of the controls on them, and are your main means of riding the bike.

Better grips means that you don't have to hold on as tight, and so you get more control, and less fatigue. Doesn't matter if you have gloves.

There's a reason we have those grips on 4 of our bikes. (And the 230 has a similar style, just with rectangle boxes around one side.)

Hmm... I never thought they mattered, except for looks.

I was going to go with these and some blue weighted bar ends

$T2eC16N,!wsE9suw)kdPBRqh(mGvBw~~60_57.JPG

I like those, but I don't know how comfortable they would be on the hands over a long riding session.

I wonder how blue LED's would look on the ends of those...

I'm in Florida, its always riding season :lol: but I was going mainly on looks. I'm still not a huge believer that grips really make a difference. Either you can grip them, or ya can't in my mind. Might just be lack of experience but I'm also one of the most stubborn people you'll ever meet

Well you only have 4 spots where you touch the bike, so might as well make the most of them. That's why my bike has the Renthal grips, these nubb'd tank pads,
67368d1135260275-motorcycle-tank-protection-stompgrip.jpg

Vortex rearsets,
1%20VortexGoldRearset.jpg

115251d1222399768-vortex-rearsets-hayabusa-img_2943_vortex_pegs.jpg

(Your foot will almost never slip off of these.)
and a sticky seat pad.

Control is everything. 👍

I haven't ever had an issue with slippage. You must ride harder than me lol my style of riding would be at home on a cruiser. I'm slowly working up on sport riding, but I don't think I ride hard enough for the extra stick you have.

I want to attend a track day or something, as I start wondering about grip levels and all after like 65 mph on corners. And I know the tires will stay hooked, just still building confidence in myself. Don't want to make a mistake that's gonna hurt my ride! So slow and steady and one day I'll be there

I am very picky with grips. They shouldn't be too bad with gloves but I hardly ever use grips so some are rough on the hands.

I want to attend a track day or something, as I start wondering about grip levels and all after like 65 mph on corners. And I know the tires will stay hooked, just still building confidence in myself. Don't want to make a mistake that's gonna hurt my ride! So slow and steady and one day I'll be there

Well that's one of the reasons to get good grips.

If you're not having to try and hang onto the bike then it's way better for confidence and safety.

I've ridden bikes that have awful grips, and even at low speeds you couldn't control the bike properly. Not fun.

(When your boots start to slip off oft he pegs in the wet, then you'll want a pair of those rearsets. : p)

I am very picky with grips. They shouldn't be too bad with gloves but I hardly ever use grips so some are rough on the hands.

I remember having awfully sore hands from the grips on a trials bike years ago.
The grips worked fantastically, so much so that they dug right into your skin. :lol:

Well that's one of the reasons to get good grips.

If you're not having to try and hang onto the bike then it's way better for confidence and safety.

I've ridden bikes that have awful grips, and even at low speeds you couldn't control the bike properly. Not fun.

(When your boots start to slip off oft he pegs in the wet, then you'll want a pair of those rearsets. : p)

I remember having awfully sore hands from the grips on a trials bike years ago.
The grips worked fantastically, so much so that they dug right into your skin. :lol:

God I hate tough grips like that. The ones on my bicycle were bad too. The ones I posted are the stock 200x ones and they are amazing. They've lasted almost 30 years. Granted they are pretty worn down now but still a lot of grip there.

Last edited:
Bike news! My gixxer passed its long trip test with flying colors. Took it up i275 and over the Sunshine Skyway bridge (first time on 2 wheels, Google that bridge for an idea) and into Tampa. Made a 120 mile round trip with absolutely no problems, no hiccups :)

And another 150 miles from Monday through today, no problems. But it did help me finally find the cause of my constantly sore left Achilles tendon... the bent left peg causes it, so that's gonna be my next purchase. What pegs would you guys suggest? I want cool looking ones that are functional as well.

Loving this bike! But I'm kicking around the idea of picking up another GS500 as well. Don't want to kill the fun bike with 10k miles a year! Plus I'd feel bad chopping up a bike as nice as mine

I think your current bike is fine. Getting a lot of miles on it isn't going to kill it, not doing maintenance will. Unless its a unbelievable deal and you can flip it.

And the best Idea for pegs would be to find adjustable ones.👍

Latest Posts

Back