Mustang's GSX-R 750 thread!

1236098_10201989628724575_290308744_n.jpg

44750_10201989630644623_1556379270_n.jpg

1234916_10201989639964856_957695612_n.jpg

Whatever works, works!

Shortened the can a couple days ago as a way to make myself happy, and tide me over until I can afford a real exhaust. I can hear my bike now :D

66832_10202020955267719_1386211473_n.jpg

I did. I wanted the actual exit of the tip to have the 2 little pipes in the muffler shoot through it. And it looks cooler, I think :lol:

I have money to spend! Any reason I should spring for more expensive brake pads than Bikemaster front pads for $20 for the set?

Also getting new foot pegs... finally! Any recommendations? I'm looking at ebay for them

Bar ends - I want weighted ends, but I want mirrors too. Is this possible!?

I have money to spend! Any reason I should spring for more expensive brake pads than Bikemaster front pads for $20 for the set?

Also getting new foot pegs... finally! Any recommendations? I'm looking at ebay for them

Bar ends - I want weighted ends, but I want mirrors too. Is this possible!?

If the wear is good then I would keep using the pads you have, you don't need anything better than stock for street use.

Holy change in GTP batman! I'd multi quote if I could...

So bopop, I ended up getting a set of carbon brake pads off ebay. $20 to outfit the whole bike. And I'm pleased with them so far, they grab like a mother****** compared to what was left of the old pads. I can drop 45mph-0mph in 3 car lengths now :D

Thatman, I've got bar end mirrors on the way. Maybe I can frankenstein something and make it all work!

This gixxer.. I need a project bike.... Or fox body. There's nothing wrong with this bike, and I never have to work on it. Well except for some bad connections in the wiring, but I'm sorting that out at a dead snail's pace. So far ownership everywhere but in the saddle has just been boring. Clean it, ride it, look at it, clean it. There's no wrenching and I never thought I'd say it but I miss actually working on stuff.

Ok rant over :lol:

Classic bike, never ridden one of those, pretty awesome. My Father in Law has an old GSXR1100 with a fat turbo, never ridden that either but have been on the back. I love 90s and early 2000 bikes, have a TL1000S myself and an 02 R1. That Gixxer you have is a keeper, look after it.

Holy change in GTP batman! I'd multi quote if I could...

So bopop, I ended up getting a set of carbon brake pads off ebay. $20 to outfit the whole bike. And I'm pleased with them so far, they grab like a mother****** compared to what was left of the old pads. I can drop 45mph-0mph in 3 car lengths now :D

Thatman, I've got bar end mirrors on the way. Maybe I can frankenstein something and make it all work!

This gixxer.. I need a project bike.... Or fox body. There's nothing wrong with this bike, and I never have to work on it. Well except for some bad connections in the wiring, but I'm sorting that out at a dead snail's pace. So far ownership everywhere but in the saddle has just been boring. Clean it, ride it, look at it, clean it. There's no wrenching and I never thought I'd say it but I miss actually working on stuff.

Ok rant over :lol:
Fox body? I thought you wanted to put a 393 stroker in your truck? Get crackin' :lol:

Fox body? I thought you wanted to put a 393 stroker in your truck? Get crackin' :lol:

There's a lot I want to do :lol:

There's the stroker for the truck, a fox body, the lift for the truck, a P71 Crown Vic, a new transmission for the truck, etc! Tax time will likely bring about a fox or a vic though, I want to retire the truck from DD duty before the transmission retires it for me... But then again it's been slipping in the exact same way when it's cold for 30,000 miles :lol:

But in a bout of on topic postingness.... tadaaaaa!

1441449_10202386168757828_177437685_n.jpg

Yep, new brakes and you'll only need 2 fingers at any time.:D

It's a Japanese sportbike, how much work did you expect to have to do to it?:lol:

Yep, new brakes and you'll only need 2 fingers at any time.:D

It's a Japanese sportbike, how much work did you expect to have to do to it?:lol:

Well... almost! I use 3 fingers because my master cylinder is a bit old and the lever movement can be jerky at times. Much more stable with 3 fingers! After next paycheck I'm going to pick up the master rebuild kit and do that.

I figured there would be a little more tinkering! My GS500 was always ready to be tinkered on. At all times :lol:

Well... almost! I use 3 fingers because my master cylinder is a bit old and the lever movement can be jerky at times. Much more stable with 3 fingers! After next paycheck I'm going to pick up the master rebuild kit and do that.

I figured there would be a little more tinkering! My GS500 was always ready to be tinkered on. At all times :lol:

Oh wow, I didn't realize how many years are between our 2 bikes.

I couldn't stand having a brake lever like that, I don't even like it when the bar comes just a tiny bit back from fade.

For some reason the front tire looks like it's on the wrong way, unless that's the way the grooves are designed to go.

You made me go check google images to make sure that tire was on right haha I only go to one shop for my tire needs and they've always treated me well an d done good work. Good to see they continued with that trend!

I've gotten used to the brakes. My GS had a jerky lever too, in order to get a smooth pull I'd have to apply pressure towards the ground on the lever, then pull back on it and normally it would go good enough. Same deal on this one... for now!

Ran the old girl last night again. Getting better, 13.06@unknown, 12.8@112.5 and 12.7@114!

I was just aiming for twelvrs! Next attempt I'll aim at 12.5

Ran the old girl last night again. Getting better, 13.06@unknown, 12.8@112.5 and 12.7@114!

I was just aiming for twelvrs! Next attempt I'll aim at 12.5

What altitude are you running it at?

I'd like to see an onboard video of the run if possible. (With tach in shot.)

What altitude are you running it at?

I'd like to see an onboard video of the run if possible. (With tach in shot.)
Oh it's me completely. I'm afraid of wheelie-ing the thing so I'm working on the launch little by little. Making big strides with each pass. 12.4 is aiming point for this thursday. And I'm running at about 2 feet over sea level, if that. Bradenton Motorsports Park is the track.

Making big strides with each pass.

Yep, that's what it's all about.👍

If you're afraid of having the front end come up then you can always just cover the rear brake at launch. You don't need to shift for a few seconds because of the tall 1st gear, so that gives you enough time to get your foot up to the peg.

The way I've always launched is to hold the rpms at about 10-12k, or roughly 2/3rds the max rpm. (So yous would be at about 8-9k.)

This requires a small amount of throttle, and reduces time spent trying to slip the clutch to get to the powerband.

When I launch, I roll on the gas hard, not to full though. I slip the clutch gradually, not enough to put too much power down and wheelie, but not too much to just barely go anywhere.

I think it's mainly clutch control, as you could give it too much gas, but with a little more clutch slip, put down the right amount of power.

In this video, you'll hear that the rpms stay the same until I let out the clutch all the way, or shift.

The goal is to basically modulate the clutch and throttle in a way that puts as much power down without wheeling.
You really have to get over the front end too, you may think that you're getting over the bars, but in reality you may not be.

Try to get someone to take a video of your launches, so that you can watch them back and see all the little things that you don't notice when you're on the strip.👍
Balls to the tank, head over the bars, elbows bent.

A little bit more weight over the front end means that you can put that little bit more power down for acceleration.;)

In this video, pause it when I go by, and then when the orange bike goes by.
My edge of my helmet is over the windscreen, his is almost a foot from it. That little bit can really help.

You can also hear my bike staying at a constant rpm, while as the pack goes by the revs increase as normal.
It's kinda like a CVT effect that you want to do.
(No, I didn't jump, just had a good reaction on that start.:P)

Good luck and happy launches!:)

(Oh, and for the love of god don't blip the throttle, I don't know why people do that.:banghead: It just creates inconsistency.)

Although if your competitors start to do it, that's just fine.:lol:

Last edited:
Well I may not go to the track tonight...

560122_10202466175357943_1225905487_n.jpg

Started chasing what appeared to be an oil leak. Think it's a fuel leak. Or a mix of fuel oil. Bike has smelled strongly of gas lately :/ Airbox has no fuel in it, oil has no fuel in it, so luckily I think the carbs are fine. I'm gonna spray down the motor with some brake cleaner today (god I love that stuff) and then see what I can find. My bets are on the petcock. It's a heaping pile of horse excrement.

And then also, since putting new front pads on the bike, I have a radial clicking sound when applying the brakes. Any ideas? I think it's coming from the right side front brake

It's definitely fuel. Carb #2 has a bad float bowl gasket I believe. Possible bad gasket on carb 1, or it's just spill over. Now wonder my fuel mileage went to ****... That'll get fixed next week. And then I'll start prepping the bike for sale. Got my eye on a 2014 FZ-09 :D

I'll take it if you don't want it anymore... ;)

$2,300 obo after I recover the seat! Bike located in Florida, come for vacation, bring home an old gix :lol:

The more I ride it, the more I don't want to ride it really. It's less fun on the street than my GS was. It's a torqueless bike under 6-7k rpm. I'm looking to get into a torquey standard. Lighter, same power, better ergos, wider powerband, all the things I should have looked for in this purchase... But I had to have a sport bike. I've gotten my fill until a real track opens up around here

Back