My Journey: 2013 US GT Academy Champion

• Thread starter GumballCGT
  • 330 comments
Haha yes I do occasionally. Definitely not near as much as I used to though.
I raced Lewis Hamiltion last week in a GTP lobby, I lost very badly! Lol! If you like hour long one make races I know a club you might enjoy. :)

And wow, I didnt notice this thread before, it's really cool. :)

Yeah which club?
The number is 1000041. The first race was awesome. But the second race is like a black spot that I don't want to talk about(I crashed into the tire wall to the right of the lane on pit entry at Panaroma lol)

Saturday this week is going to be awesome! Rocket 07 CS no tuning allowed(get an oil change) at Mazda Laguna Seca Raceway 90 minutes. I did a 50 minute test yesterday :) I can't believe how much fun I had being the only car on track lol!

How fast are we? At the 60 minute panaroma race 2 days ago. In stock RX7 TC. The fastest time of the race was a 2:04.x and my fastest was a 2:06.2. But I was running 2:07.0-2:07.5 average. See what yours is for a reference :) and yesterday's 50 minute practice with the Rocket I got a 1:35.0.

Have fun :) hope this club is something you might be interested in :)

Will be headed to Northern California for the 25 Hours of Thunderhill this weekend. Helping crew for one of the Nissan cars running there. Should be wet but plenty of fun!

I can vouch for that. Think he made some SNAIL races a couple few weeks ago.

When you get a chance, would you kindly accept that club invite? That way, when you decide to drop in again, you can.

How do I accept the club invite? I haven't seen any invites or maybe I'm just looking in the wrong spot lol.

How do I accept the club invite? I haven't seen any invites or maybe I'm just looking in the wrong spot lol.
Community > messages > click on message > click on message again > go to club > join club

Will be headed to Northern California for the 25 Hours of Thunderhill this weekend. Helping crew for one of the Nissan cars running there. Should be wet but plenty of fun!
Good luck!

But honestly and most people will oversee this I think, but I've been told so many times that guys who come from motocross like myself tend to do very well on the road at speed for some reason. I think it's partially due to the instinct you have of feeling traction and how something is going to react. This helped me a ton in the rally because you read the dirt for traction and feel your way around. Plus dirt is just home to me cause it's what I grew up on haha. It just comes automatic to me where as most people have to really think about it. At least that's my opinion.

Nick,

Congrats on your GTA victory last year...Well 2 years ago seeing as it's 2015 today haha and happy new year!

I know this is an old thread but I just found GT Planet a week ago. I raced motocross for 10 years and I find what you said about being able to feel traction very interesting. How long did you race/ride motocross? The past few years I've switched to racing autocross in my MR2 and now my Evo10.

I plan on giving GTA a go this year and see how it unfolds. Barring any tomfoolery I'm hoping to do well.

Any pointers for a new guy to the virtual part?? Thanks for your consideration!

Nick,

Congrats on your GTA victory last year...Well 2 years ago seeing as it's 2015 today haha and happy new year!

I know this is an old thread but I just found GT Planet a week ago. I raced motocross for 10 years and I find what you said about being able to feel traction very interesting. How long did you race/ride motocross? The past few years I've switched to racing autocross in my MR2 and now my Evo10.

I plan on giving GTA a go this year and see how it unfolds. Barring any tomfoolery I'm hoping to do well.

Any pointers for a new guy to the virtual part?? Thanks for your consideration!

Thank you! Happy new year to you as well.

Hopefully this thread never ends since I try to keep it updated as my racing continues lol. Anyways, I started riding quads at the age of 3 and began racing at 4. I begged my Dad nonstop and eventually he caved in and got me a motorcycle at age 5 which I immediately began racing. I fell in love with motocross and probably am more comfortable on a bike than I am walking. My Dad tried to convince me at 7 to get into karting instead so he bought a kart and I got lessons on how to drive but in the end I chose motocross over karting. Funny how things ended up though haha.

I raced motocross fairly seriously up until I was about 14 or 15 when it just wasn't feasible to make it to all the amateur nationals and pick up the big results and sponsors, otherwise I'd probably be racing professionally now. From then I sort of turned back to cars/karting once I turned 16 and did my first autocross and track day stuff at 18. Then went on to buying cars I could build and track, maybe do some club racing stuff if I decided to get serious. But fortunately I really lucked out to be where I am now.

Good luck with GTA this year! I recommend this to a lot of people but go join SNAIL Spec Racing on here which is linked in my signature. It's a great place to learn and run laps/races with people your pace. It will teach you lines, braking techniques, and how to have good race craft which becomes an advantage come time for GTA. Most of your speed will come down to practice as basic as that sounds and being smooth would be my number one tip for being quick. Hope some of this helps! Feel free to ask any questions you have, I'll be glad to answer.

Here's some onboard video from a couple years ago of my riding. I still get on the bike every now and then but definitely not as much as I'd like to.

Thank you! Happy new year to you as well.

Hopefully this thread never ends since I try to keep it updated as my racing continues lol. Anyways, I started riding quads at the age of 3 and began racing at 4. I begged my Dad nonstop and eventually he caved in and got me a motorcycle at age 5 which I immediately began racing. I fell in love with motocross and probably am more comfortable on a bike than I am walking. My Dad tried to convince me at 7 to get into karting instead so he bought a kart and I got lessons on how to drive but in the end I chose motocross over karting. Funny how things ended up though haha.

I raced motocross fairly seriously up until I was about 14 or 15 when it just wasn't feasible to make it to all the amateur nationals and pick up the big results and sponsors, otherwise I'd probably be racing professionally now. From then I sort of turned back to cars/karting once I turned 16 and did my first autocross and track day stuff at 18. Then went on to buying cars I could build and track, maybe do some club racing stuff if I decided to get serious. But fortunately I really lucked out to be where I am now.

Good luck with GTA this year! I recommend this to a lot of people but go join SNAIL Spec Racing on here which is linked in my signature. It's a great place to learn and run laps/races with people your pace. It will teach you lines, braking techniques, and how to have good race craft which becomes an advantage come time for GTA. Most of your speed will come down to practice as basic as that sounds and being smooth would be my number one tip for being quick. Hope some of this helps! Feel free to ask any questions you have, I'll be glad to answer.

Here's some onboard video from a couple years ago of my riding. I still get on the bike every now and then but definitely not as much as I'd like to.

Thanks for the tips Nick!! Your insight is greatly appreciated!! I did some research on SNAIL a few days ago and I deff plan on looking them up one I get my system set up!!

I like the video you posted. Looks like a fast track...right up my alley haha! Also I couldn't help but notice you are a Honda 4 stroke guy...same here! It was hard to tell in the audio but it sounds like you are on a 250F? I raced a 450 for years :cheers:

I will take your advise to heart and put it to good use. I'm not sure there is anything in this world I want more than to race for a living. Starting my P90X back up and going to hit some autox one the winter breaks here in Ohio!

I like the video you posted. Looks like a fast track...right up my alley haha! Also I couldn't help but notice you are a Honda 4 stroke guy...same here! It was hard to tell in the audio but it sounds like you are on a 250F? I raced a 450 for years :cheers:

Yup! I was on a 2012 CRF250 in that video. Kind of been a Honda guy once I stepped up to big bike stuff. Had a friend who rode pro let me ride his modded 450 Kawi and that thing was crazy fast. I almost went Kawi after that haha.

Yup! I was on a 2012 CRF250 in that video. Kind of been a Honda guy once I stepped up to big bike stuff. Had a friend who rode pro let me ride his modded 450 Kawi and that thing was crazy fast. I almost went Kawi after that haha.

Haha I thought it sounded like it! I rode my cousins CRF250 a few times and actually liked it allot. It seemed like I could ride the piss out of it right on the edge since I was use to the 450. I started out on a Kawi KX80 so I've got some "green" experience too lol. How much did your motocross background help you at race camp at Silverstone?

Just to give you an idea of how the 2015 racing series for Nissan and possibly myself is starting to shape up. Looking forward to getting things going!

Sportscar365
After having a less-than-expected presence in 2014, Nissan is working towards an expanded effort in the U.S. this year, while also finalizing its search for a future American LMP1 driver.

Speaking with Sportscar365, NISMO’s global head of brand, marketing and sales Darren Cox confirmed the Japanese manufacturer’s intentions to compete in North America with its Nissan GT-R NISMO GT3 car.

“We had a GT3 car on the stand at the SEMA show,” Cox told Sportscar365. “There’s an intention for us to be in the U.S. and we’re working on a number of options.

“We were very close last year and I think this year, the championships have settled down a bit. It’s clear what the benefits of the different championships are and it makes our decision easier.”

While Cox would not confirm it, all fingers point towards a Pirelli World Challenge effort, with Andretti Autosport understood to be finalizing a multi-car GT-R NISMO GT3 program.

Any prospects of seeing the GT-R compete in the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship appear to be unlikely for this year, despite RJN Motorsport having created a GTD conversion kit for the car, which was due to be run by Muscle Milk Pickett Racing in 2014.

“We did the adaptation for the car to GTD, but the fact that you have to adapt the car [for the TUDOR Championship] makes it easier to be in Pirelli World Challenge, to be honest,” Cox said.

“The [TUDOR] Championship has to realize that if manufacturers are coming to their series, it can’t be the fourth class. Right now, it’s a difficult balance.”

Cox, however, wouldn’t rule out future involvement in the TUDOR Championship, particularly in the top Prototype class through its P2 engine supply program, although no Nissan-powered cars are scheduled to compete in the Rolex 24 at Daytona.

“Of course there’s an interest in TUDOR,” he said. “We were disappointed with our program with Muscle Milk ended. That was our partner over there and we’re looking at options.

“But LMP2 has always been a customer program that we place drivers in.

“Our approach going forward will be to focus on what we do with our American GT Academy graduates. If that means they should be in LMP2, then that’s where we’ll put them in the U.S.”

Part of that includes its active search to have an American driver in its factory FIA World Endurance Championship LMP1 program in 2016.

Cox said they expect to announce a finalist within the next two months, which would see the driver likely placed in a Nissan-powered LMP2 car this year to prepare for their chance for the possible LMP1 ride.

“We could choose someone and they could do a season of LMP2 and are not good enough,” Cox said. “We said we’re choosing people on their ability and not on their marketability.

“So if they’re not good enough, they don’t get in. But our aim is to give them every chance.”

Hi mate,

Just curious as to where you were based last year? Did you fly back and forth between the states and Europe, or based in UK while racing in the Blancpain series?

Hi mate,

Just curious as to where you were based last year? Did you fly back and forth between the states and Europe, or based in UK while racing in the Blancpain series?

Just in case he's too busy in Daytona - I can say he was based in the US and had 50+ flights back and forth...

What's going on guys? Just wanted to let you all know that I will be joining Bryan Heitkotter again in the No.41 Doran Racing 370z for Sebring! Hope to see some of you there. Should be fun racing at such an iconic track and I think it should benefit our car much better than the long straights at Daytona. You can follow me at the social media places listed in the photo for more current updates as next weeks fun begins. Thanks guys!

16610323370_66f3a2465c.jpg

Think you may have a spot at VIR in August?

A few guys are thinking of meeting up there to watch. It would be terrific to see you if we could.

Back