My Journey: 2013 US GT Academy Champion

• Thread starter GumballCGT
  • 330 comments
A shame about all the mechanical maladies. Wonder if the brake issues were contributing to the punctures or vice versa.

Hello Nick!

Could you explain us a bit about the Fitness and Mental Coaching Exercises they tell you guys to do in the Driver Development Programm? Thank You in advance!

Wish you all the best! GO!

-Sergio.

What's up guys?! Sorry, I haven't been keeping you guys up to date very well since Spa. Haven't had much going on to post here though. But, I'm proud to have my first little bit in a Sports Illustrated article! So now I can officially say I've been in Sports Illustrated :sly:

Here's the article link if you'd like to give it a read: From Console To Car

As of right now I've been in the UK for the last few days with my teammates doing some physical training with Pro-Performance ahead of our last Blancpain race of the season at Nurburgring. Can't wait to get back in the car and rubbing some paint. It's been far too long. Going to be a bitter sweet race as it's a place of always dreamt of racing at but will also be the last time I'm probably in the GT3 car this year. Will keep you guys updated headed into the weekend!

Muahaha I've found some wifi at the Nurburgring! On my phone so I can't post any pics right now. I have to say it's an incredible place to be here in Germany. Nothing like it that I've been to so far.

I know most of you want to know if I've driven the Norschleife but unfortunately we are just racing the GP circuit. Still quite an amazing track! Very fun and you're always busy in the car.

Practice and qualifying went well for us today. Got up to speed quickly and made great improvements over the span of the day. Got an awesome lap in qualy and then it decided to pour down some rain! Wouldn't be the nurburgring without it haha.

Anyways, looking forward to tomorrow. We'll be starting 13th on the grid (rained before Alex Buncombe got in the car) and our overall pace is definitely top 3 in pro-am. Everyone can watch the 6 hour Blancpain race live by going to NISMO.TV at 2:00am(PST), yeah it's kinda early lol. Should be fun! Talk to you guys soon!

Is there anything you can tell us Nick, about being a potential prospect for the LMP1 seat at Nissan for 2016? As some media is suggesting that you and the other U.S. academy drivers that won are in the running for. Also even if you can't really say so at this moment do you think you'll be ready even if some don't think you guys are? I'd really hope you were able to obtain such a seat and drive.

Hi nick

Just 1 question or 2,
Is left foot braking being suggested by your team. If they do, does it contribute to more fuel usage ?

Hi nick

Just 1 question or 2,
Is left foot braking being suggested by your team. If they do, does it contribute to more fuel usage ?

Left foot braking is encouraged, especially once you get to open wheel or downforce cars like LMP2. Some people still prefer to right foot brake still though. I wouldn't say it necessarily is enough to notice more fuel usage or brake wear but it is something we have to pay attention to no matter what. Making sure we are not crossing over (using both gas and brake at the same time) is the main issue but still small.

I prefer left foot braking because I'm not moving my feet around, less-inning the chance of missing a pedal, hitting both pedals at the same time, etc. I can also make very quick and small adjustments mid corner such as tapping the brake with my left foot in a corner to get more front end traction if I'm getting understeer. To each their own though!

Thanks Nick :D

In gokart left foot braking seem natural, but on normal servo assisted car, the feel is weird. The transition from go kart to real car is not easy for me, especially with my manual 5 speed bmw e30. Well thanks for the info.

( the late colin mcrae )

Thanks Nick :D

In gokart left foot braking seem natural, but on normal servo assisted car, the feel is weird. The transition from go kart to real car is not easy for me, especially with my manual 5 speed bmw e30. Well thanks for the info.

Left foot braking in a manual car pretty much just doesn't happen lol. Only in sequential cars where you don't need to use the clutch to change gears.

Left foot braking in a manual car pretty much just doesn't happen lol. Only in sequential cars where you don't need to use the clutch to change gears.

Thanks for the update Nick. In terms of Right / Left foot braking, I watched some foot works from the V8 Supercars race drivers - Sequential gearbox with clutch...their foot works are pretty amazing.

Here is a link and the video to Cameron McConville at Bathurst in 2009.
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1446906

Hey everyone, it's been awhile since I've posted anything up in here. Not much going on lately but hopefully I'll be getting news of what's to happen for me next year! I did get the opportunity to go to SEMA last week which was incredible. Had the opportunity to meet Kazunori and many other great people while I was there. You can check out more of my pics from SEMA here. I've slowly been uploading them as get through editing. Hope to have some good news soon! Talk to you all later.

15584608219_108a22b5c6_z.jpg

Back