My weekly time trials events are on hold for a few weeks

• Thread starter RuddRacer
  • 142 comments
Don't worry, it just takes practice. Since I started doing these time trails without active steering and TC, I've come along way, I still struggle from time to time but it is a good learning experience. :cheers:

@JamCar0ne echo what @SilverSE102 said, it takes practice and don't get discouraged. Also being in the WRS has proven to be one of the most effective ways to improve your pace.

For me the "key" to improving was to compare each weeks winning lap to mine and then I go back and try to implement the changes. Quite often I'm able to improve my best lap time of the week by .1 or .2 in just a 20 min session.

Glad to see you get in a lap in the Nurbrugring, I know last weeks event was one of the more difficult ones we have had so far. I think you will enjoy next weeks car, its fast enough but very predictable.

I did a few laps at Eiger after having a nightmare at Spa TT tonight and thought it's the same story " I've forgotten how to drive".
I kept sliding into the spectators or lost too much speed around the corners.
I then got control of the car and went slower, in a way, to get a faster lap.
I watched my reply and noticed how long I was on the brake, compared to watching Tidgney guide, really too long before trail braking or allow the car to roll.
This may be another part of my problem with finding those extra seconds.
So far I have a time of 1.15.035 at Eiger.
Not the quickest but a step in the right direction hopefully.

@StanNz IMO Eiger is the more difficult track to turn a fast lap & not DQ. I rarely have to restart a lap with the Z8 at the Nurburgring but at Eiger I was needing to restart about 1/2 the time at first. It did get better but now that I'm closer to my limit I'm back restarting 30% - 40% of the time.

If you think it would help you (or anyone else) I can post my lap so you can download it and watch it or load the ghost. (I don't recommend trying to follow the ghost for several reasons but one of the biggest is that the lead car always appears to be turning latter than it is.) IMO you can only determine the actual racing line of the lead car by watching its replay.

There are a couple of videos of the winning lap at Eiger posted in the TT archive that you may find helpful.

I spent a few hours today at the wheel and I think something eventually clicked and I started turning faster splits and lap times at Spa and Eiger. More time at Spa and I will get those better splits in the same lap.
Like you said Eiger is a harder track to get faster times when you are nearing your limit.
I have probably done less than 20 laps at Eiger but have still found improvement.
I am moving in the right direction again after yesterday's efforts where I could see no gains.

Week 8 Events

Car: 1972 Alpine 1600S / 428pp, 144bhp, 715kg (w/ oil change) on CS tires (stock). *Special Instructions - Upgrade the transmission and set the final gear ratio to 3.100.

Syracuse - Night.jpg

Event 1 - Nurburgring Nordschliefe
Nürburgring Nordschleife_3.jpg

Event 2
- Special Stage Route 5 Clubman

Special Stage Route 5 Clubman_6.jpg

Last edited:
I'll try to get one more go at this sometime this morning before I have go to bed, I also want to give the new seasonal events a go as well. :mischievous:

@StanNz keep practicing, one of things I was doing was overthinking what I was doing and overdriving the car instead of just focusing on driving.

Been spending way too much time on Assetto Corsa, but woke up early today and had a hankering for the Nurb on GT6. Gave it 1 lap on the Z8 and then ~
5 laps with the awesome Alpine. 👍 (None of them were clean :D)

full

full

full

Z8

Eiger: 1:12.832
Nurb: 7:57.356

Alpine

SSR5 Clubman: 1:05.415
Nurb: less than 9min (in theory)

Great combos, @RuddRacer Eric! 👍

Didn't have time to get another go for last weeks events, I did get times for the alpine. This car feels pretty stable being on CS tires, it only took me 2 laps at the Nurburgring to get my current time and about 10 laps at the other track.

Nurburgring
8:45.018

SS5 Clubman
1:06.253

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    50.1 KB · Views: 14
@JamCar0ne echo what @SilverSE102 said, it takes practice and don't get discouraged. Also being in the WRS has proven to be one of the most effective ways to improve your pace.

For me the "key" to improving was to compare each weeks winning lap to mine and then I go back and try to implement the changes. Quite often I'm able to improve my best lap time of the week by .1 or .2 in just a 20 min session.

Glad to see you get in a lap in the Nurbrugring, I know last weeks event was one of the more difficult ones we have had so far. I think you will enjoy next weeks car, its fast enough but very predictable.

I'm not discouraged. This time trial event just isn't anywhere near the top of my practice list. I run half a dozen laps at the short track and one lap at Nurburgring. All aids off (except ABS1) and driving line off. I spend more time on the WRS time trial. But, once the SNAIL combos are announced, all my practice time goes towards those.

Times:

SS 5 Clubman
1:06.634

Nurburgring
9:08.248

This time trial event just isn't anywhere near the top of my practice list.

Same here, I give the WRS events 100% of my focus every week.

I created this series so I had something different available to break up my WRS sessions. The WRS events can vary in terms of how much time I need/ want to spend on it. The longer period between seasonal events created more "open" time that needed filling. Between WRS events, My TT's and the administrative time it takes for managing the events I don't have problems finding enough stuff to do occupy the time I have for GT6.

And to think, I quit playing GT6 about 2 months after it came out because of that problem. Started playing it again about 1 year ago and after 1 week had nothing left to do, I was about to quit but decided I would give the WRS a try. I've played it every day ever since. :gtpflag:

OP leaderboard updated.

At 8'31.653 at the Nurg. I think 28s or even less is possible. Know a couple of folk who might even pull a sub 25 laptime,
but not me...

Nurg alpine.jpg

In fact after 5 or 6 laps...

Nurg alpine 2.jpg

So 8'29.002. Target at 27s now.

Last edited:
ODB
Hello everybody, this looked great so I gave it a try, 8.25:838 at nurb and 1.06:038 at stage 5 :)

Since I'm quite new here (only done PD TT's) here's the replay files :) happy holidays GTP :cheers:

Impressive time at Nurburgring @ODB :bowdown:, happy you could join us!

You are always welcome to include your zip'ed replay file or screenshot of your results if you feel so inclined but typically the "honor system" is all that I require unless I feel the results are "unusual". IMO we are all here racing ourselves for our best time and if someone is not truthful it only hurts themselfs.

I could only handle 2 laps before I was drenched in sweat.
??? I must be doing something wrong, this event was supposed to be a "low stress week" after using the Lexus LFA and Z8 the past 2 weeks.

So 8'29.002. Target at 27s now.
Very nice Javier 👍, well above my pay grade but I do have @Gravitron in my cross hairs if he does not step on or get serious. :lol:

OP leaderboard updated! Thanks to all :cheers: for their participation.

Impressive time at Nurburgring @ODB :bowdown:, happy you could join us!

Thanks man :)👍 great fun throwing that little Alpine around the ring so thanks for setting this up :cheers:

IMO we are all here racing ourselves for our best time and if someone is not truthful it only hurts themselfs.

Agree 110% and I really was trying to beat my own times already in GT4 at nurb so really all the fun is in just trying to push as good of a lap as possible :) 👍 heheh, well half the fun comes from this great society here at GTP but I guess that goes without saying :D hehehe, so yeah, have fun guys and good luck :cheers:

I thought I would follow your guidelines, Eric on how to improve lap times re your post on red bull seasonal.
I did a few laps on SS5 to get used to the car, which is a nice drive, and thought I was doing ok going from 1.10s down to my current best of 1.07.518. Don't know where I am going to find over 1 sec but I'll keep trying.
So I took it for a spin at the ring and tried to keep it steady but quick and get a clean lap for a starting point. I was doing ok until halfway down the long back straight when @roamer2629 time ticked by while I was still driving:).
Think I need a bit more practice at Nuremberg.

That's not that far behind on a lap that takes 8 1/2 min.

Remember @StanNz we all started somewhere and I'm quite certain that everyone here is much faster today than when they started (you included). Because everyone did not "start" at the same time some people are near the end of their improvement potential and some are just starting out.

Also keep in mind that some of people here have done hundreds if not thousands of laps at the Nurburgring. I was first introduced to the Nurbrugring back in GT4 and I chose to learn the track by doing the 24hr. endurance race solo. :D I've improved a lot since then but you can look where I'm at on the leaderboard to see I've still got a lot to learn still.

Since @ODB posted a copy of his lap you have the fastest lap available to compare to yours. Just concentrate on his line into and out of the turns and try and replicate that when you do your lap. Hang in there.:cheers:

Last edited:
I was first introduced to the Nurbrugring back in GT4 and I chose to learn the track by doing the 24hr. endurance race solo. :D

Heh yeah, when first it appeared I took it instantly something that I simply just MUST learn :D and it's a damn lucky I did for it's a hell of track and just keeps providing fun year after year :D hehhe I mean I did miss the GT5 almost completely and only played it few months but damn still after two years again playing this game and I just can't get enough :D heheh and especially in a car like this Alpine the ring just comes alive :D heheh so yeah, this track sure is worthwhile learning as well as possible for among all other good things learning almost any other track after that is almost a child's play :D and I know doing just a few laps may seem like a monumental task but just keep lapping and it gets easier after you brain gets used to the idea of keeping it together for something like 8 minutes :) 👍

Last edited:
Let me get this out of my chest: Anyone with a Bill Murray pic in his avatar is instantly on my good side :D
Amazing time by the way dude!!
Regarding learning the Nurg, when I can't put myself to sleep I close my eyes and I go through the track mentally, something like counting sheep with 300hp :lol: But it's just not only the turns, the bumps, the offset banking some places, which curbs can be ridden and which cannot. But once you get it right this track is peerless...

Last edited:
Let me get this out of my chest: Anyone with a Bill Murray pic in his avatar is instantly on my good side :D

Hahahah yeah I can easily understand for seeing that guys face is enough to lighten up my mood :D so jovial but still really sarcastic :D so Murray Christmas to you mate :D

egarding learning the Nurg, when I can't put myself to sleep I close my eyes and I go through the track mentally, something like counting sheep with 300hp :lol:

Heh well funny thing but I do the exact same thing when I'm trying to improve my performance on something, remarkable thing is that actually just thinking about something helps you to learn for it reinforces those connections in you brain that you use while actually doing the real thing, so just keep it up and try to bring more and more detail in to your thoughts, also look your own replays and others too to get some material to think on while relaxing, while you're driving you're missing you on a LOT of things for while you're driving most of your concentration goes to doing things you already know, so when not on the track there's plenty of things you can notice or realize when you let your mind do the work in peace :)

when I can't put myself to sleep I close my eyes and I go through the track mentally, something like counting sheep with 300hp :lol: But it's just not only the turns, the bumps, the offset banking some places, which curbs can be ridden and which cannot. But once you get it right this track is peerless...

ODB
Heh well funny thing but I do the exact same thing when I'm trying to improve my performance on something, remarkable thing is that actually just thinking about something helps you to learn for it reinforces those connections in you brain that you use while actually doing the real thing, so just keep it up and try to bring more and more detail in to your thoughts, also look your own replays and others too to get some material to think on while relaxing, while you're driving you're missing you on a LOT of things for while you're driving most of your concentration goes to doing things you already know, so when not on the track there's plenty of things you can notice or realize when you let your mind do the work in peace

Same here :D. As I start to doze off I will enter a light dream state where it seems very real, like I'm actually doing it. At this point I ether continue on to a deep sleep or I move or something happens and I realize I was just "dreaming/ visualizing" about doing a lap on a track.

There was a study using Tetris that showed that those who dreamed about playing it had an improved learning curve among other things.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/tetris-dreams/

Posted my new time for Nurburgring on the OP leaderboard: 8'33.595

There was a study using Tetris that showed that those who dreamed about playing it had an improved learning curve among other things.

Yeah mate sounds amazing is but it actually works like many studies have shown :dopey: The thing just is that trying to keep your mind concentrated for the whole lap when just thinking about it is not that easy, my mind usually starts wondering after only few corners unless I but some effort to it and "remind" myself what I was doing... heheh but yeah, I do very much enjoy visualizing my laps before I fall to sleep and if I'm playing a lot that is what I mostly do to get to sleep :D

Oh yeah, just looking at replays also helps for there's things called mirror neurons in your brain, check it out if you never herd of them :)

Back