My weekly time trials events are on hold for a few weeks

• Thread starter RuddRacer
  • 142 comments
Something happened at the nurb today after watching @beau231 lap in the NSX yesterday.
I could suddenly drive the Alpine and at a good speed. I was turning at the correct point most of the time as still learning the track and it felt like I was finally in control.
I was still making mistakes but that was down to losing concentration or over confidence on some parts of the track.
Enjoyed an hour on the track and went from
9.19.528 to 9.01.958.
A few seconds behind you guys:lol: but I will definitely be achieving my next goal of sub 9 mins

Something happened at the nurb today after watching @beau231 lap in the NSX yesterday.
I could suddenly drive the Alpine and at a good speed. I was turning at the correct point most of the time as still learning the track and it felt like I was finally in control.
I was still making mistakes but that was down to losing concentration or over confidence on some parts of the track.
Enjoyed an hour on the track and went from
9.19.528 to 9.01.958.

One of the reasons I enjoy the Nurburgring so much @StanNz is the virtually never ending "eureka" moments it can prove as you improve. I don't think anyone ever stops learning/ improving at the Nurburgring.

Very nice time improvement today, 👍 I have not doubt you can get into the 8'.XX.xxx before the event ends.

The week 9 event will be announced a little latter tonight, much faster lap times are on the way!

OP leaderboard updated, includes my improved Nurburgring time: 8'33.186

Week 9 Events Now Available

Car: 2006 Ferrari F430 / 548pp, 519bhp, 1450kg (w/ oil change) on SH tires (stock)

City of Arts and Sciences - Night.jpg

Event 1 - Nurburgring Nordschliefe
Nürburgring Nordschleife_2.jpg

Event 2 - High Speed Ring
High Speed Ring_2.jpg

Frustrating but productive afternoon to beat 9 mins in the Alpine.
Countless times I've been 5 and 6 secs ahead, after over 6 minutes of the lap, to make a 'schoolboy' error and bin the lap.
Smoko break before final 30 minutes to get that blue lap:)

Apologies for the triple post.
Failed in my bid for sub 9 mins in the Alpine.
Nearest I got was binning a lap at the second turn after the bridge on the final straight at 8.25.xxx :banghead::banghead::banghead:
I certainly know more about this track after this TT.:cheers:

Apologies for the triple post.

If yours is the last post it's ok to edit it multiple times in the same day, just don't edit your last post days latter as I won't have visibility of the edit.

While you did not quite get your goal of an 8 min lap before the deadline the important thing you have gotten faster. :cheers:Sometimes I continue to do a TT after its over if I feel I have unfinished business or to apply what I learned by watching the winners replay.

Week 8 is in the "bag", largest participation yet! 👍 Congrats to our winners @ODB at the Nurburgring and @Gravitron at Special Stage 5 Clubman. :cheers: Here are the final results.

Week #8 '72 Alpine A110 1600S on CS
Nurburgring - 8'25:838 ODB
8'29.002 roamer2629
8'33.186 RuddRacer
8'36.019 Gravitron
8'45.018 SilverSE102
9'01.958 StanNz
9'08.248 JamCar0ne

Special Stage 5 Clubman -1'05.415 Gravitron
1'05.778 RuddRacer
1'06:038 ODB
1'06.253 SilverSE102
1'06.634 JamCar0ne
1'07.518 StanNz

Added my times to the week 9 leaderboard, only had time to do a couple of laps on each tonight.

The car does understeer a bit more than I remember when testing but its not a bad trade-off for keeping the rear of the car on the track when driving aggressive. Increasing the rear brake bias and a little trail braking makes it very manageable IMO.

I'm using BB of 4/6

Nurburgring
7'23.776

High Speed Ring
1'11.069

High Speed Ring
1.11.130 BB 4/6

I ruined 1 lap by driving straight down the pit lane coming out of the tunnel:lol:
Probably not the first person to do that

First clean and very nervous lap at Nurb. Lots of time left out there.

7.55.703 BB 4/6

Last edited:
I'm actually having some issues with this car, I'm running TC at 1 because I spun out a few times. That blasted redbull event is screwing with my head, :boggled::ouch: i did manage a clean set of laps at the high speed ring though.

High Speed Ring
1:11.611

High Speed Ring
1.11.130 BB 4/6

I ruined 1 lap by driving straight down the pit lane coming out of the tunnel:lol:
Probably not the first person to do that

First clean and very nervous lap at Nurb. Lots of time left out there.

7.55.703 BB 4/6
I've almost done it a few times with the redbull and tomahawk cars.:boggled:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    59.1 KB · Views: 16
I kinda sorta cheated at Nurburg as I had the driving line on.

No need to apologize for using the driving line since it has no impact on the car. I always use the driving line as a visual indicator to help me reference where my braking zones start.

Edit: Updated leaderboard with my new times. Man, this thing understeers more every time I drive it, especially at the nurburgring. :confused:

Nuburgring: 7'22.984

High Speed Ring 1'10.401

Last edited:
I did 10 laps below 1.11 but just couldn't find those few more tenths to get ahead of you. I probably lose most time on the 2 turns before the tunnel. I have the first two turns and the last pretty consistent most laps now.

You're right about understeer at Nurb. I completed a faster lap but only 3 tenths. Still a lot of work to do there

You're right about understeer at Nurb

Just dragging the brake a tiny bit before and during corner entry does wonders. While the car is not "ideal" its good practice for learning / practicing trail-braking.

With the understeer it can make learning to manage and control slides & drifts a little easier because its hard to spin it all the way around. (FYI @SilverSE102 not sure if you had much seat time with it)

(FYI @SilverSE102 not sure if you had much seat time with it)
Nope, last seat time I had was Monday for less than 45 minutes before going to work. So far I've only did those 5 laps at high speed ring and a few spin outs at the Nurburgring, I'm going to be getting on shortly for my first real attempt at the Nurburgring and going to see if I can improve at the high speed ring.

Edit: improved a little at the high speed ring.

1:11.390

Edit 2: 1:11.044

Last edited:
I've got a very good car picked out for our next event.....but I'm going to put the series on "hold" for a bit while I check out the racing games I got for Christmas from my wife & kids. (on the PS3, I've not bought a wheel yet for the PS4 :irked:)

I expect it to take me 2 - 4 weeks to complete both games in the time I have available outside doing the WRS events in GT6.

Happy New Year to all! :cheers:

High Speed Ring 1.10.394
I was over 4 tenths up at T2 but lost a bit on final corner.

Attachments

• BCJS37016-RPLY015.zip
    251.7 KB · Views: 11
I've got a very good car picked out for our next event.....but I'm going to put the series on "hold" for a bit while I check out the racing games I got for Christmas from my wife & kids. (on the PS3, I've not bought a wheel yet for the PS4 :irked:)

I expect it to take me 2 - 4 weeks to complete both games in the time I have available outside doing the WRS events in GT6.

Happy New Year to all! :cheers:
Cool, did this event end or is one still going on? I have an edit above for the high speed ring, 1:11.044. I was close to completing a lap at the Nurburgring, I was going up the final uphill at the 7:20 mark but I spun 3 1/2 times before going into a wall. :irked: :lol:

Which games did you get? If you keep an eye out I saw on Amazon a while back thrustmaster t150 for $175

Cool, did this event end or is one still going on? I have an edit above for the high speed ring, 1:11.044.

Technically it ended but I updated your time in the final results, the events are more about challenging yourself than a serious competition about beating the other people. (but the competition does add a little extra incentive to do your best!)

Which games did you get?
Grid 2 and F1 2012. Both games are quite outdated, I've never tired the either of the Grid games. I'm pretty OCD so having completed the first 2 F1 games (2010 & 2011 which I liked quite a lot, IMO it offers a better offline racing experience than GT6 despite some major flaws with it) I prefer to play them chronologically rather than jump to what is most recent.

If you keep an eye out I saw on Amazon a while back thrustmaster t150 for $175
I've sort of avoided looking for sales since I've now got a PS4 and it will tempt me even more. With the huge outlay of $ on gaming this Christmas for the kids (PS4, extra controller, few games and PS Plus) I'm trying to keep piece with the wife and hold off spending another $400 on a new wheel until GT Sport (beta) is here.

If you or anyone gets bored and are looking for some racing to keep you busy until the new events are released feel free to do any of the previous events. If you improve your time I will update the OP.

Back