myWorld Großer Preis von Österreich 2019Formula 1 

About time we had a decent race. Won't discuss the obvious cause everyone else has that covered, few things down the back of the grid. Giovinazzi's got his first point. Kubica got lapped 3 times, which I don't think has happened since the days of HRT. How Magnussen got beaten by Russell is baffling to me, that drive-through alone was not enough, either Russell is God's gift to F1 and is driving the socks off one of the worst F1 cars of the modern era which is how he finishes so far ahead of Kubica, or Magnussen threw his toys out of the pram again like at Canada and just gave up.

PS: Isn't it curious that all the dutch people came out now happy with the decision? :lol: I'm sure you're all completely rational an unbiased.

And the Belgians - two of them in the top 8 :D

If they say no further action here then they should take back Vettels penalty too.

And the penalties for engine changes, and the penalty for... for... anything else entirely and completely unrelated to today's decision.

I'm sure 99.9% of us want to see more races in F1 as we have seen today. They should forbid this kind of jury jokes after the checkered flag.
Hopefully the precedent is MORE RACING so more fun for us supporters. No matter what colour you like.

Now we have finally some action upfront and we're discussing a slight touché ;) It was a long time ago a racer could overtake Mercedes and Ferrari.
And LeClerc's own earned victory will come for sure.

I want to see more of what Max and LeClerc did on lap 68, not on lap 69.

Last edited:
About time we had a decent race. Won't discuss the obvious cause everyone else has that covered, few things down the back of the grid. Giovinazzi's got his first point. Kubica got lapped 3 times, which I don't think has happened since the days of HRT. How Magnussen got beaten by Russell is baffling to me, that drive-through alone was not enough, either Russell is God's gift to F1 and is driving the socks off one of the worst F1 cars of the modern era which is how he finishes so far ahead of Kubica, or Magnussen threw his toys out of the pram again like at Canada and just gave up.
Being lapped 3 times was helped by the race being on such a short track. If it was Silverstone or Spa....

Anyway, isn't that like only the ~6th time everyone finished the Grand Prix? And it actually didn't detract from the spectacle for once. It was a race that didn't actually require a safety car to be awesome.

Oh come on, apart from having 2 cars close to each other, they are incomparable.
Not really. One driver moved his car towards another while it was alongside to run them out of road, forcing them to choose whether to brake or leave the circuit. The fact that it was a straight rather than a corner is absolutely irrelevant, and the fact that there was a physical barrier there (which is what some people want the white lines to be) is pretty much immaterial - as expanded on in my earlier post on the topic - because running someone beyond track limits is running someone beyond track limits regardless of any further outcome.

It doesn't really matter if it's Schumacher, Verstappen, Senna, or Maldonado, wheel-banging in F1 is outright dangerous. These things become aircraft with very little provocation. Allowing it to happen is only increasing the likelihood that it will again - like when boring people like me used to bang on about drivers respecting double-waved yellow flags, and then culture of not respecting them meant one driver got scalped by a truck. Too many old guys whap on about what racing was like back in the day without recalling that they used to bury a driver every three races. Does anyone really want to see that again?

Now the lap before it, that was good racing. Elbows out, but not tits up.

WE WANT A DIFFERENT RACE WINNER.

*different race winner*

NO NOT THAT ONE.
I don't think anyone objects to the who - Leclerc would also have been good - but the how.

giphy.gif

I imagine Leclerc is relieved that he didn't win his first race by someone else's penalty three hours after the podium presentation. I imagine he's also pretty pissed that he got knocked out of winning his first race by someone else just smacking him off the track. I think we'll see the consequences of this at a race in the not too distant future.

Feel free to do it at GT live events and refer to this FIA decision.
Like it hasn't been done already. :lol:

Let's just call this decision for what it is. Max should have been penalized based on current regulations and precedence. However, they decided to toss that aside because they can't afford to rile up the Dutch fanbase which F1 has been trying to draw in (including a Dutch GP).

It doesn't really matter if it's Schumacher, Verstappen, Senna, or Maldonado, wheel-banging in F1 is outright dangerous.

That is why you need case by case judging. Wheel-banging in a slow hairpin is very different from wheel-banging going flat out on a long straight.

Not sour at all. Will be interesting to see what drivers try in the future and use this in their defence.
In my opinion, that's the issue with the decision. This was due to it being Max, at Red Bull Ring, with many Dutch fans attending, and Honda getting a long awaited win.

By the letter, it was a penalty.

If it happened in Lesmo 1 at Monza, Ferrari wins.

That's the actual precedent.

D-U89sEXsAAh_4m

Let them race! Amen

Thank god sense prevails.

Honestly I think a lot you complaining about this would be better entertained by watching a simulated Project Cars 2 race, where the AI politely forms a queue, sits at respectable 0.5 second intervals, and occasionally takes a look coming up to a corner.

Really, what do want? Racing or queuing?

Honestly I think a lot you complaining about this would be better entertained by watching a simulated Project Cars 2 race, where the AI politely forms a queue, sits at respectable 0.5 second intervals, and occasionally takes a look coming up to a corner.

Really, what do want? Racing, or queuing?

Says the person who claimed LeClerc was on the wrong. :lol:

I think at the end of the day people just want consistency and know what to expect, any other sport it's pretty clear. Sure bad calls get made in other sports but typically fans and competitors/teams know what a penalty is or isn't. In F1 it's pretty hard to judge one way of the other. I bring a similar incident up at this same track that netted the inside driver a penalty and why I think people question calls that seem like others, but supposedly are not.

That is why you need case by case judging. Wheel-banging in a slow hairpin is very different from wheel-banging going flat out on a long straight.
Yes, because wheel-on-wheel contact at low corner speeds could never result in a car flipping onto its flip-flop roof could it?

Oh (Hulk's fault, for reference; you can't move into the space another car is already in like it isn't there... wait, that sounds consistently familiar).

This crap is dangerous and needs to be discouraged before it kills someone, rather than waiting for another Bianchi to happen and reacting to it. The previous lap though... that was good and we need more of it.

He was, but I'd still consider it a racing incident. If you can't let these guys race then whats the bloody point.
Racing is a non-contact sport. When they're making contact, they're not racing. The previous lap was racing - good racing. This wasn't.

Right now we've got a great goal scored by a highly talented guy... who was offside. For some reason, even after reviewing it on VAR, the referee has allowed the goal to stand. But I guess if you can't let these guys just score goals, what's the bloody point?

Really, what do want? Racing or queuing?
How many other overtakes did we see in the race where this didn’t happen. There was an attempt on the lap before between the two that was perfectly fair. We saw plenty of racing today and there is only one incident that is being discussed. If people were complaining about every single overtake you might have a point.

Yes, because wheel-on-wheel contact at low corner speeds could never result in a car flipping onto its flip-flop roof could it?

Roll hoop. Seems to be pretty sturdy.

Cars doing 300km/h+ will always be dangerous. That is why they get paid millions per year.

Bianchi died because he kept his foot buried when the circumstances told him to slow down.
Alonso flipped his car going flat out. Walked away with a couple of bruises. The cars are safe. Freak accidents will always be there. Where is the screen that prevents a steel coil from bouncing off a drivers helmet?

He was, but I'd still consider it a racing incident. If you can't let these guys race then whats the bloody point.

You keep saying that, but I've yet to see anyone ask for people to not be allowed to race. Where are you seeing this commentary? What I see actually is people enjoying racing and watched 71 laps of it with 1 lap where an incident happened that was highly questionable and not so much racing but bumper cars with multi million dollar cars.

Bianchi died because he kept his foot buried when the circumstances told him to slow down.
Right, no decision for a race director to make. Driver's fault, all the way. /S

Come on man.

Your driver won, quit while you're ahead.

I don't envy the stewards but it shouldn't take hours to make a decision though. It's absurd to buy a ticket or watch a race and walk away not knowing the final result for hours. Other sports don't have this issue with enforcing their rules or tough ref calls.

I'm already looking forward for similar "clean" overtakes or "racing incidents" at Silverstone through The Loop, Brooklands and the Club chicane...

Racing is a non-contact sport. When they're making contact, they're not racing.
This is a matter of opinion and it is wholly not true in non-FIA sanctioned races with fenders (and sometimes not).

Maybe a more accurate statement should be "FIA racing is (should be) a non-contact sport"?

There is a big difference between safety in case of a big accident and actively encouraging drivers to cause massive crashes.

EDK
Right, no decision for a race director to make. Driver's fault, all the way.

Come on man.

Your driver won, quit while you're ahead.

Double yellows were waved at the time.
It means that a driver should slow down, and be prepared to stop if necessary. This has been discussed when it happened.

I didn't bring his death up.

Back