myWorld Großer Preis von Österreich 2019Formula 1 

Two old kart 'mates' Only one missing is Ocon. Fireworks next races guaranteed

D-Vncd4X4AAznpK

clq.gif

Thing is, we have no idea what they're talking about and it was a long time ago. They weren't adults.

Well, obviously.

No-one's suggesting that the two drivers can never hold opposing viewpoints to something they've ever said in the past. It's light-hearted.

Well, obviously.

No-one's suggesting that the two drivers can never hold opposing viewpoints to something they've ever said in the past. It's light-hearted.

We've seen so many trolling here I thought you were being serious. ^^

Today's "overtake" is another one to join the compendium.

*Singapore one was a massive racing incident but I don't think anyone was at fault because Vettel couldn't see Kimi and Max and Kimi had nowhere to go.

I just got home and saw a replay of the incident. It's tough. Max had the corner but he ran so wide he didn't leave enough room for Leclerc to fight back but I don't know if Leclerc is entitled to that room or should he have just backed out of it.

I'm not a Max fan and I would have loved to see Leclerc get his first win but I think you have to call that a racing incident. I'm sure because of that huge grandstand of orange shirt wearing fans the stewards probably weren't going to overturn it anyway or they would risk a massive riot.

I do wonder how long Gasly has left. After Max's horrible start he was ahead of him come turn 3, yet by the end of the race, in the same car. He got lapped.

But if they let Gasly go - who do they put into the seat as a replacement?

I wanted Leclerc to win...:( But he wasn't going fast enough to stay ahead of Max, who was never going to make life easy. We all know that Max will pass you no matter what, especially if he's in contention to win. It's a competition and drivers aren't going to hold back because they all want to win. Don't expect them to play fairly all the time, that's not what racing is like unfortunately. There will always be controversial moves and drama, but what is sport without it? We're given one of the best races of the year and people are complaining? I thought everyone wanted some action after a dreary French GP. I didn't want Max to win but he did in the only way he knew how. Debate the pass all you like but don't say that you want action if you're going to shun the drivers who create it. The race was highly entertaining.

But if they let Gasly go - who do they put into the seat as a replacement?
They take the hit to their reputation and take Kvyat back or they go groveling to Sainz. Either is better than Gasly though.

Or take an outside shot at Alonso. Everyone knows he wants back in if he can get a race winning car. He only left to try and get the final win of the triple crown and now he knows he isn't going to get it from McLaren.

Last edited:
Sainz will never happen, because of the conflict with Verstappen.

I don't think Kyvat was hired for STR as a Legitimate driver to take an RBR seat as well, I think Redbull will look elsewhere at least at first, Kyvat may end up in that seat if all options are exhusted but I don't think they will find it hard to attract a Decent driver for that seat, unless existing contracts get in the way.

The Torpedo

C-gEQoBXoAEdTn8.jpg

This is the obvious choice, and probably the reason he got a seat back at Toro Rosso. But has he done enough to deserve to be promoted back again?

They take the hit to their reputation and take Kvyat back or they go groveling to Sainz. Either is better than Gasly though.

Or take an outside shot at Alonso. Everyone knows he wants back in if he can get a race winning car. He only left to try and get the final win of the triple crown and now he knows he isn't going to get it from McLaren.

Alonso - now that would be interesting!

I wonder if they regret not doing more to keep Daniel Ricciardo?

Edit: Oops - Sorry mods - I forgot to use the Multi Quote!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see Sainz going back to Red Bull. While the RBR is a faster car than the Macca, I think Sainz's career ill be smoother overall if he sticks with McLaren for the time being. Plus, Sainz actually seems to be happy working the McLaren.

If Red Bull wants a driver that they can guarantee will be competitive from the get-go, Kvyat is the only real choice. He has experience with the team and their car philosophy, he's worked alongside Max in the past, and while he wasn't as fast as Danny Ric, he was still a regular challenger within the Top 6, gaining two podiums before getting the sack. I also feel like he's a much stronger driver now compared to his term at the top Red Bull team.

Max had given him room on the previous lap and Leclerc brilliantly managed to re-take the lead and hold it for another lap. So the next lap Max runs him off the road while he was side-by-side to take the lead.

Pretty confused by that judgement. Is it now open season to push your rivals off track to pass them?

Max had given him room on the previous lap and Leclerc brilliantly managed to re-take the lead and hold it for another lap. So the next lap Max runs him off the road while he was side-by-side to take the lead.

Pretty confused by that judgement. Is it now open season to push your rivals off track to pass them?

According to Masi and the stewards:

"In the stewards' view it was a racing incident.

"It was just good, hard racing from the perspective they saw."

Verstappen had tried to pass Leclerc on the previous lap at the same place, the Turn 3 right-hander at the top of the hill, but Leclerc held on around the outside.

When asked by Autosport to talk through the incident, Masi suggested that the stewards felt Verstappen had "learned what had happened a lap earlier" and the nature of the move was fundamentally different second time around.

"He went into the corner, braked later, Charles obviously saw him coming and stayed out wide," said Masi.

"And Max, in braking a lot later, 'late-apexed' and at all times was pretty much on full lock and tried to power out.

"The thing that happened the lap previously didn't occur again."

It's pretty common thought the history of the sport.
So many examples that have gone unpunished; Lewis vs Rosberg at Suzuka coming out of T2... anyone vs anyone on the outside at T1 of COTA, Canada T1 running people onto the run-off is also very common...

Leclerc left the door open, twice. I'm not sure what he was expecting Max to do...

SVX
I didn't understand at first, but this was cool- Tanabe was Berger's race engineer from '90-'92. Makes a bit more sense to why it was so heartfelt now.

He was also Button's engineer iirc.

"And Max, in braking a lot later, 'late-apexed' and at all times was pretty much on full lock and tried to power out.

And Santa Claus is real.

Also, he didn't "late apexed". If you want to see what braking later and hitting a late apex looks like, look no further than Vettel overtaking Lewis a year ago on that same corner.

Number 3 from this video:

And Santa Claus is real.

The thing is Max is completely focused on getting through the corner, sure he moves his steering a bit but he is doing it to maintain grip, not to deliberately run Charles off track. If he was looking to the left and blatantly running him off like Rosberg did to Hamilton then yeah that's dirty. But this is racing, Charles is the one who left himself completely exposed to a pass here. Doesn't seem like some of you are being objective when looking at this because of Max's history.

Last edited:
The thing is Max is completely focused on getting through the corner, sure he moves his steering a bit but he is doing it to maintain grip, not to deliberately run Charles off track. If he was looking to the left and blatantly running him off like Rosberg did to Hamilton then yeah that's dirty. But this is racing, Charles is the one who left himself completely exposed to a pass here. Doesn't seem like some of you are being objective when looking at this because of Max's history.

IMO, If a drivers forces an opponent off track while they're wheel to wheel, it's always a dirty move, regardless of who does it.

I'm also wondering what does it mean to leave a 1 car's width or force another drive off the track, because apparently they have no bearing in the application of penalties in clear cut, obvious cases like the one from yesterday.

As I said before, if they allow this, they have to amend the regulations and we'll see more of it for sure. It's not clean racing in my book but I'm not one of the drivers who could be injured in a stupid accident because he was pushed off track.

Last edited:
As a racing fan, Verstappen’s move was not a penalty.

Comparing it to Germany 2016, where Rosberg got a penalty for doing the exact same thing to Max at the hairpin, it’s questionable.

I’ve said for a long time that the officiating is a joke, with zero consistency. They don’t care about precedent, they only care about the narrative of the day. Such a shame.

Edit: forgot, as much as I want to see a Verstappen/Leclerc rivalry heat up, I now really want to see McLaren give Norris a car in which he can take the fight to the leaders. I’ve seen Verstappen and Norris go at it in online racing, now I really want to see the real thing.

Last edited:
Rosberg's front wing was under Hamilton's front tire.

Not really much doubt about giving him a penalty there. Wasn't much question about who had the right to that corner.

Doesn't seem like some of you are being objective when looking at this because of Max's history.

Absolutely thrilled with his performance, but come on.

Max had loads of grip. He was in perfect control. LeClerc ran wide and Max positioned his car straight down the middle of the track rather than attempting to apex the corner properly.

He He very consciously and deliberately boxed out on that corner exit to force LeClerc to slow down.

The move is neither inherently legal or illegal. Its legality depends entirely on who's in front or behind.

If Max was ahead, that was a fair judgment.

If Max was behind, that was a travesty.

As they were wheel to wheel, it's a situation that could be called either way depending on how you perceive control of the corner.

But what isn't in doubt is that Max knew exactly what he was doing, and did it deliberately in order to get the job done.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back