myWorld Großer Preis von Österreich 2019Formula 1 

Comparing it to Germany 2016, where Rosberg got a penalty for doing the exact same thing to Max at the hairpin, it’s questionable.

Rosberg's front wing was under Hamilton's front tire.

There's no question as to whether that was worth a penalty. He had established the right to not be squeezed off the track by pulling that far up next to Hamilton. But not the right to squeeze Hamilton off the track.

upload_2019-7-1_23-35-14.png

But what isn't in doubt is that Max knew exactly what he was doing, and did it deliberately in order to get the job done.

Yeah I just don't see it that way at all. I don't think there was any malice in this, it was just hard racing to me. It happened before, it will happen again.

Rosberg was so blatant that it was actually amusing to see.

Last edited:
Charles only has himself to blame as he gave Max the inside line.

Yep. And an inside line always implies an outside line when cars are side by side.

Charles gave Max the inside line, not the whole track.

This is no more rule debating. Now it's just sour Leclerc's fans fuming.
Until next race, have a great life.

I'm a fan of Max and Charles, they are both extremely talented and very fast and I'm sure both will have a great future in the sport. Max was fast enough to make the pass cleanly, in my opinion. I don't say that as a fan of Charles, I say that as a fan of F1 and racing. Max should've left Charles enough room to stay on the track, just like he did on the previous lap. I understand and am okay with no penalty, I just want to see cleaner racing, especially from Max who has a bit of a reputation for being a dirty driver.

Here's a wild notion: people can be a fan of the sport and not of any driver in particular. And based on that have less biased opinions about incidents.

My favorite driver in the grid is Kimi and I rarely mention him (because rarely he does something worth mentioning nowadays).

You sound like the sour one.

I wanted to see him get his maiden win about as much as anyone else, but not like that. His day will come.

Here's a wild notion: people can be a fan of the sport and not of any driver in particular. And based on that have less biased opinions about incidents.

My favorite driver in the grid is Kimi and I rarely mention him (because rarely he does something worth mentioning nowadays).
You sound like the sour one.
Hi pt. I love Verstappen but i also know that Leclerc is a tremendous driver and I have a ton of respect for him.
But what I'm really loving the most right now is that history is about to be written again and the next F1 historical rivalry is coming out the pot. Hunt/Lauda all over again.
The characters are different but there's a lot of Lauda in Leclerc and a lot of Hunt in Max.
RedBullRing's turn 3, yesterday, was probably chapter one of a lot to come and core fans debates are the sauce of all of it.... lovely.
:cheers:

I guess we shouldn't abide by the rules then. If this wasn't wonder boy in his home GP with an engine supplier that is thinking about leaving the sport, there would've been a different outcome. They shot themselves in the foot though. They could've asked Max to let CHarles by and he would've gotten him the following lap.

Charles only has himself to blame as he gave Max the inside line.

Charles gave Max plenty of room... and still got barged off track and over the sausage kerb while they were wheel-to-wheel. That is the issue that is being debated. If Max left him even 1 cars width on the outside, as he did the previous lap, then this would not be a discussion.

Max drove a fantastic race but resorting to running your opponent off the road to pass them and win the race is not something that should represent great racing... in my opinion.

Last edited:
Ever wondered what Charles would have done when there was gravel instead of the tarmac run off?

It was the right call to not penalize Max. Aggression is part of racing, and this move was within the limit, as Leclerc should have concede the position as he gave Max too much room. But my gut feels that this call came for political reasons and avoid the ramifications of it. Especially after Vettel's incident. Because if they have read their damn stupid rule book, they will have penalized Max.

Max Verstappen crowned Austrian Grand Prix Driver of the Day

"
It was a performance that will live long in the memory, so it’s perhaps unsurprising that fans voted Max Verstappen the overwhelming Driver of the Day for his superb victory in Austria.

On Sunday, a technical error resulted in Williams’ Robert Kubica being declared the winner after he was incorrectly allocated a number of votes.

However, following verification, we can reveal that Verstappen scooped 74% of the public vote, with long-time leader Charles Leclerc receiving 11% and Carlos Sainz 7% for his brilliant run from P19 on the grid to P8.
"

image.jpg

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...driver-of-the-day.1cqbpwOF0Cb7H1F0oDskOs.html

And rightfully so!

:gtpflag::gtpflag::gtpflag:

From my perspective, Max had the pace to make a make a much cleaner pass. I think he purposely and deliberately forced Leclerc off the track and probably deserved the penalty which I'm sure he didn't get for political reasons (i.e potential riots from fans etc).

Looking at the line they were taking, IMO Leclerc positioned his car so that even if Max passed him on the inside he would be able to get a good exit out of the corner and catch up to Max. The way he positioned the car and the line he took seems quite similar to Lewis vs Lando on lap 1 with Lewis making the pass stick. I think Max knew that and had he not done what he did, he knew Leclerc would have picked up on his slipstream and get back at him so he forced him wide and off the track to prevent that from happening. Was it entertaining? Sure...but I happened to think it was a dirty move as well. Not to unexpected coming from Max though. His driving got much better and its clear that he is more matured but his style never really changed.

Either way, I'm not taking anything away from him because it's a well deserved win and I'm quite glad he lit up the race cause those kind of excitement are good for F1 especially since it also stops all the whiny comments about mercedes dominance :rolleyes:

Max Verstappen crowned Austrian Grand Prix Driver of the Day

"
It was a performance that will live long in the memory, so it’s perhaps unsurprising that fans voted Max Verstappen the overwhelming Driver of the Day for his superb victory in Austria.

On Sunday, a technical error resulted in Williams’ Robert Kubica being declared the winner after he was incorrectly allocated a number of votes.

However, following verification, we can reveal that Verstappen scooped 74% of the public vote, with long-time leader Charles Leclerc receiving 11% and Carlos Sainz 7% for his brilliant run from P19 on the grid to P8.
"

image.jpg

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...driver-of-the-day.1cqbpwOF0Cb7H1F0oDskOs.html

And rightfully so!

:gtpflag::gtpflag::gtpflag:
It actually showed in the Sky Sports broadcast that Max was driver of the day, not Kubica.

On the previous attempt, Max was beaten by the outside line Ferrari on the exit of turn 3. On his passing move, Max knew that he had to push Leclerc a bit more towards the outside to gain acceleration advantage and pass him. It's a beautiful move? No! But sports have gazillion of stories about little sucker tricks to gain advantage. Why do soccer players fall so many times near the opposition's box? To try to get that free kick or penalty kick that scrapes a very difficult victory.
It's the nature of the beast...

I'm surprised Charles didn't do a cutback like he did the previous lap. Everyone knows that if you take the outside line going into that hairpin, the only way to defend is a cutback. Though with the tyre differential, I think Max would've gotten past him anyway with superior traction on the run down to T3.

Essentially, Max did a much better version of what Rosberg tried to do in 2016 to Hamilton. Rosberg wasn't even trying to make the apex and just focused on running Ham off the road. Max delayed his steering just long enough to leave no room on exit, but he didn't make it seem like he's running Charles off the track on purpose. It's a subtle difference, but you'll understand if you've raced this track long enough in various sims. About the only thing I don't like is Max complaining on the radio that Charles turned in on him. I mean what do you expect mate? It was bound to happen with the line you're taking.

Most of all, well done to Honda for their first win in the hybrid era. Who would have thought it would come on a power track of all places. Alonso must be fuming right now :lol:

Apart from Charles Leclerc who defended from the outside line on the previous lap.

Leclerc was on the middle line on entry on the previous lap. That tightens up Max's exit trajectory considerably more and that's why Leclerc could still outdrag him on exit.

On the next lap, Leclerc was all the way on the outside and left the inside wide open. There's no defending from the outside from that position.

Latest Posts

Back