myWorld Großer Preis von Österreich 2019Formula 1 

Don’t think Verstappen will get a penalty because the FIA is grossly inconsistent, but that was a d*ck move. You could see on the onboard where he loosened up the wheel forcing LeClerc off. I never liked Verstappen for reasons just like this.

Looks like Max had full lock going into the corner...
And then let's off the lock with Leclerc still alongside. He could have kept that tighter line further into the corner but that would compromise his exit speed like it did the lap before.

The fact that he had that option should be the deciding factor in giving a penalty. He had an option to not do what he did and he did what he did. Unnecessary risk.

And then let's off the lock with Leclerc still alongside. He could have kept that tighter line further into the corner but that would compromise his exit speed like it did the lap before.
Exactly. So, he decided to push off Charles. If LeClerc put his foot down on the outside, and voided the contact, he may have come back but then people would complain he was off the track.

The fact that he had that option should be the deciding factor in giving a penalty. He had an option to not do what he did and he did what he did. Unnecessary risk.
Agreed. It also doesn’t help that he was raced totally fairly on the previous lap by LeClerc, then decided to shove him the following lap.

"It's racing... the stewards aren't traffic wardens" (Brundle)

This sums it up. They ARE traffic wardens, the FIA has given them this power. Time to take it away.

Don’t think Verstappen will get a penalty because the FIA is grossly inconsistent, but that was a d*ck move. You could see on the onboard where he loosened up the wheel forcing LeClerc off. I never liked Verstappen for reasons just like this.
If you watch closely, not only did he open up the wheel but he actually steered the car to the left.

I think after Canada, the stewards are in a no win here.

I don't think they will penalize the move, but I think the letter of the rule book says he should be penalized for failure to leave racing room on the corner exit. He's supposed to leave a car width and instead his left side tires were at the track edge.

Looking at the incident multiple times, I feel this is pretty much 2016 just without contact. Verstappen had no intention to make the apex. Instead turned in late like Rosberg did and caused the other car to be forced off track.

Looking at the incident multiple times, I feel this is pretty much 2016 just without contact. Verstappen had no intention to make the apex. Instead turned in late like Rosberg did and caused the other car to be forced off track.

Yep. And he was lucky they didn't end up like Lewis and Rosberg 3 years ago, with damage and the race ruined.

--

Also, the steering lock is irrelevant. If a driver delays his steering input so much that he's basically on the opposite side of the track, that doesn't mean it's a clean pass. There was another driver on the outside line, so he couldn't use the entire track. If he missed his braking or apex, it's on him, not on LeClerc.

Last edited:
JvM
On really hot conditions, yeah looks like it. Otherwise no too sure yet.

We are getting in the hot season, if heat is a weakness for the Mercedes, then the second half of this season will be tough for them.

Really in two minds here. As much as I think the stewards should award a penalty for consistency's sake, seeing Honda up there, finally winning... I don't think I could deal with that being null and void.

Carlos Sainz is my Driver of the Day. He could have taken Gasly for P7 if he didn’t damage his front wing.
I went for Russell. Fought cars in the back end of the midfield after starting from the pitlane in a Williams and didn't fall miles off them over the course of the race.

Also, where is it a rule that if you are slightly ahead out of a turn that the other driver has to immediately back off? You call that racing too?

There's no need for such a rule - the driver alongside you can't cause a collision or force you off the track, but that's what happened. Verstappen was able to tighten the steering even more after the contact which suggests to me that the stewards might feel he didn't turn enough. If he'd had no lock left and still made contact that could be a different matter. I can see this going against Verstappen... and if it doesn't then we're going to see some messy accidents in the wake of the precedent.

Back