NASCAR 2012 Thread

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 9,370 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kurt Busch has acquired a sponsor. The #51 will have sponsorship from Tag Heuer for 3 races this season.

In what year did they loose sight of the "Stock" Part?

I think that in this day in age, it would be hard to get NASCAR back to a Stock-base without losing viewership, because the speeds would be lower. Also, Toyota would have to either build a V8 Camry (Do it, please. My parents would so buy one), Switch to the IS-F, or just be plain screwed. Dodge Charger, Chevy (ehh... whats their 4-door now-a-days?), and a Ford Taurus/Fusion V8 would make a pretty neat series to watch I think. But at those speeds, the Aero makes a huge difference, which is why they probably like everything close to the same for everyone.

They don't necessarily have to have a V8 variant, look at JGTC where the cars in the GT500 class have V8s instead of the engines they come with. However, since it is America people that watch would like to be able to go out and get a V8 in their car after watching that car win. I think they lost sight of Stock when the 90s began. For a long time there you could still go buy a car from a dealership, then strip and rebuild it into a race car using the stock frame and body with added body parts and after market racing supplies.

Where you are wrong is that NASCAR is allowed to fuel the car while the tires are being changed. Most other forms of motorsport are not allowed to do this. Hence, why their stops are just as long if not longer.

In my opinion, I think NASCAR could benefit from changing some things and pit stops are one of them. Because, let's be honest, Do you see them doing pit stops the same way in 10-15 years? I'll bet you $50 that in that time they make some of the changes we have been talking about.

NASCAR does own the Grand Am series. There's no reason why they can't learn from the sports car racing crowd.
Thats not nascars fault. Why dont those motorsports change their rules to try and keep up.
Lets see, I have been watching nascar for maybe 11 years, and the pit stops havent changed much, add another 10 years. Nope not much change at all. Like I said the only id change is the gas can and only from a safety standpoint. As theres nothing safe about a guy holding a metal can full of fuel on his shoulder. You guys are literally trying to take the fun out of nascar with your "improvements". Let sports cars run with their fancy technical pit stops. Ill watch those 6 guys work hard any day of the week.

Thats not nascars fault. Why dont those motorsports change their rules to try and keep up.

:lol: You're funny. Think you have that backwards.

Lets see, I have been watching nascar for maybe 11 years, and the pit stops havent changed much, add another 10 years. Nope not much change at all.

I've been a fan much longer than that. But, can I borrow your time machine?

Like I said the only id change is the gas can and only from a safety standpoint. As theres nothing safe about a guy holding a metal can full of fuel on his shoulder.

Agreed, hence they should go with the tube setup that other forms of motorsport have been using for some time now.

You guys are literally trying to take the fun out of nascar with your "improvements". Let sports cars run with their fancy technical pit stops. Ill watch those 6 guys work hard any day of the week.

It can still be 6 guys. And they'll still be working hard. Face it, changes can and will be made. When? Who knows, but it's no doubt they will come.

I watched parts of preseason testing on SPEED and despite the rule changes, the "tandem" drafting is still the quickest way to run, although the single car runs were 11 mph faster than qualifying for the Talladega fall race. For those that don't know, the list of rule changes is as follows:

radiator capacity reduced from 5 gallons to 2
overflow tank capacity reduced from 1 gallon to 1/2 gallon
smaller rear spoiler
softer rear springs
radiator inlet moved from the bottom of the front fascia to the middle
29/32nds inch restrictor plate (1/64th inch larger than for the 2011 Daytona 500:tup: )

Last edited:
hawkeye122
They were talking about that today during the test. Drivers are going to have to learn a few more hand signals now...

At least they already know one!

Hehe. Kyle. :sly:

They were talking about that today during the test. Drivers are going to have to learn a few more hand signals now...

At least they already know one!

Or learn to stick with your team mate better and plan things out correctly before the race flag drops. Spotter to spotter talking will be even bigger now.

Why are they trying to stop the tandem draft thing? I think its pretty cool. Thats, for me, what makes NASCAR worth watching. True teamwork.

Why are they trying to stop the tandem draft thing? I think its pretty cool. Thats, for me, what makes NASCAR worth watching. True teamwork.

The thing I like most about tandem drafting is the unpredictability it brings to those races. Trevor Bayne winning the daytona 500 last year is the best example of this.

The thing I like most about tandem drafting is the unpredictability it brings to those races. Trevor Bayne winning the daytona 500 last year is the best example of this.

Exactly.

"Hey, I think we are getting WAYYYYYYY too many viewers. How can we stop that from happening?"
-Is what I envision them saying.

If anything, make the cooling better than before, and see if we cant get a 4-car bump-draft thing going. 3-4 "Teams" challenging for the lead? How would that not be exciting AND make really big crashes. It would open a whole new set of tactics and such. I would actually pay to go see that in person. Obviously, radio communication would have to be brought back else it would be stupidly dangerous...

(Gross Generalization ahead) Why do Americans watch cycling? Hoping the peloton crashes. This would pretty much make a massive peloton of Big V8's at about 195+MPH. How would that not be awesome?

So 210mph was hit in testing and I'm sure they can go faster. Fuel injection may be the key reason why this is so.

Hawkeye the reason some want it split is only five maybe six years ago, they would run the long trains of at least three and gowing packs two to three lanes wide. Some people would be able to pull out of these packs, usually further up front and use the momentum from the draft and side drafts to propel them up front. Some could prolong this and go forward quickly with out the packs or a partner, however, tandem drafting/slipstream ruined this and other techniques. Some drivers find it boring that you have to make a deal to win a race when the old system to them truly allowed one to race and win on sheer skill at times.

So 210mph was hit in testing and I'm sure they can go faster. Fuel injection may be the key reason why this is so.

Hawkeye the reason some want it split is only five maybe six years ago, they would run the long trains of at least three and gowing packs two to three lanes wide. Some people would be able to pull out of these packs, usually further up front and use the momentum from the draft and side drafts to propel them up front. Some could prolong this and go forward quickly with out the packs or a partner, however, tandem drafting/slipstream ruined this and other techniques. Some drivers find it boring that you have to make a deal to win a race when the old system to them truly allowed one to race and win on sheer skill at times.

210 was hit by a larger restrictor plate, smaller spoiler, and softer rear springs.

I do agree on the latter part. Right now it seems to be more of a right place right time deal to get to the front when it used to take skills back in pack racing.

The fastest times in the pack racing were equal to two car tandem speeds.

Also in a rule change - driver to driver communications are now banned.

David Ragan to FRM.

Kvapil and Yeley to split time in the 3rd car.

Last edited:
Surely a feasible option for Vickers would be to step down to Nationwide like Sadler did with great success?

Carl Edwards has announced that he will not be running in the Nationwide Series this year. That would be a good seat to fill for Vickers.

The problem is that the number 60 may end up being raced by Edwards... and it'll be up to him to find sponsorship for it if he decides he wants to run the car. Until then, no sponsors, no ride, no seat to fill since there's no seat in general!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back