NASCAR Road Racing + Plymouth XNR (Sunday Classic Racing) Pimiki Double Champion!!!Finished 

Do you have any of these cars? Information check for future race series

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Announcement - Changes to Race Series

The following changes will take place with immediate effect:

1. Race 1 for the Plymouth XNR remains at 15 minutes duration.

2. Race 2 for Nascar Road Racing is reduced from 25 to 20 minutes.

3. Race 3 for the Formula GT is withdrawn and is replaced by a second race for the Nascar of 20 minutes duration, with no practise or qualifying and the grid assembled in previous race finish order.

I apologise to those of you who like driving the Formula GT and also to Bergele who kindly offered to drive the Pace Car. It is possible that we may race the FGT at some point in the future, therefore I have kept a record of which cars you each own.

I think these changes will improve the series and thank you for your support - we had 15 racers on Sunday and if Harsk had attended we would have had a full room of 16!

Last edited:
Made me smile. Sick I know you had lost your reading glasses, perhaps you haven't found them yet. :)
This might help - it's BLOODY not BABY Sick. 👍
(You've put babyblueboy in the results post)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, connection problems. I usually seem to write one of these each series.

PD always gets blamed for it's servers and there can be problems, but in reality with the peer to peer system that a non fixed owner room uses, a lot of errors are down to everyone's individual connections. That said, the online problems did seem to get worse - notably the invisibility - when they introduced the quick match feature! So that's definitely down to PD.

There is some contact with a main server for for general information and this can of course be crucial, but when racing we are not sending all our positional data to a PD server in Tokyo and in return receiving data back - in the main all our PS3's have to "talk" together.

So when on Sunday when I was driving along (towards the back) in my NASCAR my PS3 had to send and receive data to/from not only places around the UK but Mexico, Canada, USA, Japan, Sweden, Hungary Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc. And this is all down a bit of copper cable - so there's no wonder there is a bit of lag at times. It doesn't do too bad really but it doesn't take much to make things go wrong.
A fixed host room is much better because all the PS3's then just talk to that one main server PS3, therefore eliminating all the multiple connections. But this relies heavily on the host having a fast (upload) connection and Sick's can't do that - especially with a lot in the room.

There are exceptions, but most DC's are usually individual internet issues. Either because of a problem at your own end or there's someone in the room with a poor connection that throws you out.
The invisible cars are due to poor connections between individuals - quite often those who are DC-ing.
The "pit stop bug" again could be a connection problem since it doesn't seem to happen offline.

Certainly there should be some more robust code in the game that would control things a little better. Having a greater connection quality control function would help for a start.

Possible solutions - The usual really. Make sure your connection is as good as you can get it.

DON'T
use WiFi - use a direct cable.

You also really need to be connecting using NAT type 1 or 2 with a high/very high bandwidth

UPnP should be enabled.

And if you are really keen you can have a go with port forwarding.
Mine is also in the DMZ - outside of the firewall - so in theory nothing is blocked!

Turn off all other internet devices in your house - any bandwidth used and information packets lost will cause lag & errors. This might be a problem if you have kids - but the line can only transmit one thing at a time. So turn off your WiFi and make it a GT6 only time. ;)

If you have room/visibility problems, to disconnect from the PD online server always drop back to the main menu. While you are there cleaning the GT6 network cache may also help. No better - try rebooting your PS3 AND your router.
(Actually rebooting your router before you start is a good idea anyway, although I usually forget to do this myself!)

Still having problems - Take a deep breadth, turn off PS3 and and go sit down with a coffee.

@Sick Cylinder - turning the race quality down further would mean less data being transferred around the globe. You could...
1) See if it actually has any detrimental effect on the actual racing. 2) See if it improves room stability.
Reducing the amount of players in the room if it's not going to be full, would also help a lot. Less connections = more stability.
And I've mentioned before, you could try the perhaps more sheltered area of a club only lobby instead of the open lobby.

@LexLathor - I've noticed Miki gets disconnected quite a lot and often others can't see him on the track (myself included). Do you know if he has a poor connection? Maybe he is using WiFi? Or maybe he is just unlucky. :indiff:

Sorry for long post again. I hope it might help someone.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll post again about the FGT's etc.

IfandOr!

Thank you for helping my situation intentioned For the following message :
Net rate:
ping 20-30
Download : 50 MB / s
Upload : 5 MB / s
Cable join alone! Wi- Fi is turned off the rest of comunication can connect to another subscription .
I got to where each competitor entered the room and then I have to re- enter and you will not see everyone and I can see everybody.
This Internet subscription can only use it for the game .

Miki

Ok, it's not a very expensive car, about 250 pounds I'd guess I paid, but it runs fine and will be perfect to transport Råttan (the bike)
DSC_0537.JPG
DSC_0515.JPG

Ok, it's not a very expensive car, about 250 pounds I'd guess I paid, but it runs fine and will be perfect to transport Råttan (the bike)

Looks a good practical vehicle and a perfect match for the bike which I love - looks like it would be great fun to ride.

A slight contrast, but before the race meeting on Sunday I went to a car show and I've attached some photos of my favourite cars. The Ford GT40 was my favourite so that gets a compilation slide to itself! (Slide 1).

Slide 2: Dodge Dart and Caterham 7 style car fitted with 3.2 litre BMW M3 motor - with an all up weight 1,000kg less than an M3 it must have exciting performance.

Slide 3: A great selection of Pickup Trucks.

Slide 4: Porsche 356 Speedster, Hillborn injected five window Model B Ford, one off 1,400cc Gordini engined 1950's style car took 4.5 years to build.

Slide 1 Ford GT40.jpg
Slide 2 Caterham BMW M3.jpg
Slide 3 Pickup Trucks.jpg
Slide 4 Classics.jpg
Slide 5 Ford Pop etc.jpg
Slide 6 Details.jpg

Final slide: Detail of ventilated and finned drum brake, pickup truck logo and two great classics from the UK and USA.

Quick Race report.
XNR - It was rubbish, I couldn't find any grip at all! It just didn't want to go around the corners or stop - just like it was on ice. Yet the week before it seemed quite good. It was also OK offline. Reminded me a lot of the Cuda. Very strange, I must investigate further.
NASCAR - Quite good fun when I eventually got into a rhythm. I'm not sure if I actually overtook anyone, but what I did do was to (mostly) stay on the track which helped me move up the field. Just got to remember "No brake lights". I think I tapped @Cu3e once. They are big cars, he probably didn't feel it. ;)
FGT - Well...
...the Formula GT is withdrawn
Just as I was getting used to it. It only needed one more driver to drop out on Sunday and I'd have been on the podium. :D
Probably for the best though. Every lap there were less cars!

Can I put forward an alternative proposal though?
Instead of increasing the length of both the remaining events why not leave the XNR's at 15 minutes and run TWO x 20 minute NASCAR races. You wouldn't need to worry about your "pit stop bug" since the tyres would last much better at that length. To save time - first race with qualifying, second with a normal or reverse grid. It would make for a shorter meeting but still have 3 races (it's the 3 lots of practice & qualifying that took up a lot of the meeting). It would be only 55 minutes of actual racing.
A benefit being - if you mess up in the first race, you might do better in the second.

Just an idea.

Did anyone else have the same experience?
I didn't see much lag (if any) on Sunday but perhaps others may have experienced your problem also - hence the bumping. I don't think dropping the slider affected the race for me at all really, but we still had invisible cars. So it might as well be raised again which could help the lag problem. It would be better to have a smoother race.

NICE pictures from the show Sick. 👍

I see you have a boat as well @DVArt. It's quite a collection you've got.

I think I tapped @Cu3e once. They are big cars, he probably didn't feel it. ;)

Yea, now that you mention I got nudged a bit. Did not affect much :)

I didn't see much lag (if any) on Sunday but perhaps others may have experienced your problem also - hence the bumping.

Only place where I remember seeing any lag was when I was driving behind @MannYhAvitZ and @gkgamer . But it is understandable the three of us being in opposite corners of the globe :)

Yea, now that you mention I got nudged a bit. Did not affect much
I hope it wasn't me too much. I did back off after I tapped you the first time. I suppose they are big tough stock cars after all.
But it is understandable the three of us being in opposite corners of the globe.
Does a globe have corners? :D
Actually it's quite amazing when you think about it really. People spanning the world all connected by bits of cable. It's a wonder it works at all.

Which brings me to...

Net rating
Ping : 20-30,
Cable only.
Wi- Fi is turned off
These are very good figures and settings Miki! In theory you should not have a problem. And you probably would not if it wasn't for GT6! Just a few questions. Maybe Lex might help.

What NAT type does GT6 recognise you have? You should be NAT 2 I would think.
http://www.gran-turismo.com/hu/gt6/manual/#!/onlinerace/howtorace

Do you have UPnP enabled? This can have an effect on the invisible cars. For some strange reason sometimes disabling it helps!
http://www.gran-turismo.com/hu/gt6/manual/#!/onlinerace/upnp

Or it may be a port problem. To open the required ports it does require changing router settings.
http://www.gran-turismo.com/hu/gt6/manual/#!/onlinerace/portfowarding

That VW Caddy is pretty great, the customization is a stretching the limits of taste a bit though. I feel like that would be worth at least 3000-6000 dollars here since they're so rare. It's definitely in my top 10 list of dream cars, along with the Subaru BRAT and my #1 dream car of all time, a 1982-83 Dodge Rampage. I love car pickups, especially small ones.

Here's a few pictures from my Instagram of my local cruise nights from the past few weeks. I usually only take like one per show of a car I find particularly interesting so there aren't that many.

Ancient Volvo
image.jpg

1984 Rampage
image.jpg

1981 Puma GT from Brazil which I thought was a rare sight, plus a great colour.
image.jpg

Great lineup of a Sunbeam Tiger, 80's Camaro, Pontiac Acadian (Chevette rebadge), Chevy Vega, Plymouth Prowler and the roof of a Mustang II hidden in the back.
image.jpg

You have a unusual dream car selection @bloodyboyblue :)
Many fill their's with a collection of exotic motors but you have small pickups.

I had to look up the Subaru BRAT
brt-20639272639.jpeg

And while I was looking I saw this strange thing.
guppy.jpg

The Cony Guppy was a (very) small pick-up truck. It was powered by a 199cc 11hp two-stroke one cylinder engine. The engine was mid-mounted just behind and below the seats.They also made a sports model!

I've never heard of or seen a Puma GT. Interesting.

Last edited:
I'd never heard of the Puma GT either before I saw it, apparently it's basically a VW Karmann-Ghia underneath. I've never been a fan of supercars or exotics (with a few exceptions, like the pre-2000 Lamborghinis, 70's Maseratis, 80's Ferraris and the Daytona, Porsche 959, De Tomaso Pantera/Mangusta, pretty much anything styled by Marcelo Gandini) most of my automotive love is directed at oddballs of the 80's. That Guppy is also ridiculous. I can only imagine how it handled.

place_checker.png

Did you guys know that @Sick Cylinder
has a Promo Video?! :eek:

(you have been added to my 'CLUB PARTNERS' section ;))

View attachment 414560

place_checker.png

Thanks for the great video Manny - superb work!

@IfAndOr suggested to me that rather than running a 30 minute Nascar race we have 2 x 20 minute races back to back and keep the Plymouth XNR race at 15 minutes - the schedule will therefore be amended as follows:

Race 1 = 15 minutes: Plymouth XNR (5 minutes practise + 5 minutes qualifying)

Race 2 = 20 minutes: Nascar Road Racing (5 minutes practise + 5 minutes qualifying)

Race 3 = 20 minutes: Nascar Road Racing (No practise or qualifying) race finish order grid

See you all at Round 3 on Sunday from "The fastest road in the west" - Willow Springs, Big Willow.

IfandOr!

Thank you for helping my situation intentioned For the following message :
Net rate:
ping 20-30
Cable join alone! Wi- Fi is turned off the rest of comunication can connect to another subscription .
I got to where each competitor entered the room and then I have to re- enter and you will not see everyone and I can see everybody.
This Internet subscription can only use it for the game .

Miki

So you were seeing me when you rammed me recklessly in the first corner of the NASCAR race?

It was my mistake. I pushed Miki, then he pushed you, then you pushed me.
I saw that it ended with your race being ruined, sorry for that Lex.
I should have waited for the field to pass through before going back on track, that way it wouldn't have had that heavy consequences on you... my bad.

btw it made me think about that

and my XNR is painted in Japanese 001-C with dark red chrome rims.
For the Nascars and the now irrelevant FGTs I have a large choice so I'll try to ride one that is not being used by another fellow when I join. So far I used Kyle Busch's M&M's 2010 Camry.

Last edited:
I didn't see much lag (if any) on Sunday but perhaps others may have experienced your problem also - hence the bumping. I don't think dropping the slider affected the race for me at all really, but we still had invisible cars. So it might as well be raised again which could help the lag problem. It would be better to have a smoother race.

Perhaps we could try the fixed room owner setting? According to the description it should help people with bad connections and with NAT type 3 connections.

Perhaps we could try the fixed room owner setting? According to the description it should help people with bad connections and with NAT type 3 connections.
I think it should help because all the other PS3's would then just have to talk to the one main fixed owners PS3 - instead of having to communicate with each other. But that PS3 then needs a very good connection to keep up with all the data flow requests. Particularly uploading, since it has to keep updating all the car positions to all the others. The more cars in the race the more it has to do. The trouble is most peoples internet connection is geared towards download speeds, the upload is usually quite slow in comparison. I think you can tell your ISP that you'd like a faster upload speed if needed but not many do.

Sick's internet is relatively slow I think, so it would not be suitable for more than a few cars. Ideally we'd need someone with a fast fibre optic connection with a good upload speed to test out the theory.
Mine unfortunately is still a cooper wire connection and although fairly reliable, isn't that fast an uploader - around 1mbs.

The other problem is that if for some reason the host disconnects the room closes. Again a reliable connection would be required.

EDIT: I did a quick check to see what GT6 thought my connection could manage. On a non fixed owner room it would recommend a full 16 cars at a 5 star room quality setting. In a fixed owner room it would recommend 4 stars with up to 7 cars, 3 stars up to 13 cars and 2 stars beyond.
It might be a little optimistic with those figures but a faster connection should be able to achieve them, if not achieve better results.

Last edited:

I've tried the fixed host option and it was hopeless (quality went down to one star) - worst of all options by far - it might work if you all lived in the same country and had very high broadband speeds. Also if the host disconnects everyone's race is ruined not just one persons - we have occasionally had host disconnections in the past. The possibility of host disconnections makes it unsuitable for championship racing in my view.

We seemed to be relatively problem free on Sunday and I didn't notice any problems with the quality on two stars, but we could go back to three if people want.

I've tried the fixed host option and it was hopeless (quality went down to one star) - worst of all options by far - it might work if you all lived in the same country and had very high broadband speeds. Also if the host disconnects everyone's race is ruined not just one persons - we have occasionally had host disconnections in the past. The possibility of host disconnections makes it unsuitable for championship racing in my view.

We seemed to be relatively problem free on Sunday and I didn't notice any problems with the quality on two stars, but we could go back to three if people want.

The XNR race and the FGT race was fine for me, but the lag caused some issues in the Nascar race. But a bit of lag is better than having people disconnecting or invisible cars, so I don't mind staying at two stars.

I see you have a boat as well @DVArt. It's quite a collection you've got.[/QUOTE]

Not my boat though, it's the owner of the house we're renting !

Back