• Thread starter machscnel
  • 248 comments

Do you want a NASCAR update?

• Yes

Votes: 79 37.6%
  • No

Votes: 131 62.4%

• Total voters
But were talking about GT here not real life so its very boring driving around a oval.
Your opinion, not fact.
GT doesnt sell very well in the US so why would PD put Nascar in a few people compared to the amount of people who watch JGTC or WTCC.
This website hints otherwise.
http://www.totalvideogames.com/Gran-Turismo-4/news/Gran-Turismo-Sales-Data-7262.html

GT1-GT4:
Japan - 6.94 million
US - 16.77 million
EU - 16.64 million

Well, holy crap. Not including GT5:P, the US has actually sold more copies than Europe through out the game's franchise?!

Your argument=No research, and thus, no longer holds a valid excuse against Nascar.

Wow. The response to this is much more negative than I imagined. Please remember though, this is about one stock car being added to GT5P as an update, because in my opinion we are already half way there (Daytona) and it would allow us to another online event to race.

To be honest, I don't really like NASCAR. From what I've watched, it was, to be blunt, boring. But to drive a NASCAR (on the game at least) would be quite different. You never know, you may love the pit stratergies, drafting and bumper to bumper racing that is NASCAR.
Put it this way, before GT4 I didn't know what LeMans Racing Seriers cars were, or Nurburgring for that matter, but after actually playing them I fell in love. If a year before GT4 came out a thread popped up asking "do you want the Nurburgring in GT4", upon finding out how long it is, I imagine most votes would have been against it, nobody really knew what it was.

All I'm trying to say is don't judge a book by it's cover.

So because GT5 sells better in the US means there should be Nascars in it? Revention's comment really doesnt prove anything. Open your eyes and look at it this way:
I think if PD was going to put a Nascar in a GT game, they would have done it in GT4.
And like I said in a seperate thread, the racing culture in Europe, for example, has a differenet interest and passion for pure road racing, spawned from the likes of Formula 1, and WRC.
I should add that this is probably why you're likely to find a better driver / race on the PAL version online.
Just because Americans have purchased more copies, doesnt mean PD should cater to the US and throw Nascars in the mix.
-Why waste the time researching and implementing a Nascar when PD could put in the programming and design time towards other cars that EVERYONE would be interested in driving.

-I like where this thread is heading. = )
Nothing personal once again to all you Nascar fans.

Maybe few Nascar cars for diversity, I would like to try them on ring.

And there's a good point.
If there was a Nascar type vehicle in the game, you could drive it anywhere.

600HP lard@rse monster on skinny slicks round London Reverse.
Now say you're not scared. :scared:

I just fail to see what is so horrible about having NASCAR in GT5 (or GT5P, as the poll suggests)? IMHO the more the marrier, and having racecars from all kinds of different series and championships is just fine by me. FIA GT (and GT3), WTCC, WRC, IRL, NASCAR, SuperGT, V8 Supercars, DTM, LMS, ALMS, Le Mans, Grand Am, SpeedGT, F1, A1GP, and of old; WSC, Can-Am, Trans-Am, Grp.5, IMSA GTP, GTS, GTO and so on. I know I´d be a really happy camper!
Infact, I have a few hopes about GT5 being two parts, one with roadcars, and another with racecars. That way, PD can have damage on the racecars, and get away with not having it on the roadcars.

Just because you have an ovalracer in the game doesn´t mean you have to run it on ovals all the time!
The Auto Union from GT4 was an ovalracer, but in GT4 you could only race it at Nürburgring... (in GT4 Platinum I think you could race it everywhere though)

After reading some interesting points and using my imagination, I would like to change my vote, 2 or 3 NASCARS would be fine and I in fact encourage it. Not to mention, they let you put turbos on race cars in GT normally, and NASCARS are built for high speed. 1300hp on Test Course with aerodynamic body anyone?:mischievous:

Has it been confirmed? Though, yes, it will probably be in there too. Maybe even Super Speedway as well.
So there we have it, 5 ovals are possible for GT5.

Don't forget Test Course! Even though it's not really a NASCAR style oval, a big slipstream battle at rediculous speeds (in excess of 300km/hr surely) could be fun...........

TVC
I rather have 10 different versions of the Honda Life than 1 Nascar in the whole game.

That my friend, is rediculous.

JGTC is to Japan what NASCAR is to the US, the major racing series in that country.

they both have, at some point in time, affected the designs of the car manufacturers that compete in the series.

*Recalls Plymouth Superbird*.:crazy:

Let´s put it this way: By my count there are 74 racecars (counting rallycars and driftcars too) from Japan, 34 from Europe and 14 (!) from the USA, so the US is vastly underrepresented in GT4, in terms of racecars. So having a few NASCAR type cars wouldn´t hurt at all, if nothing else just to even out the number a bit. There´s actually a whole lot of Japanese racecars that I could definitely do without aswell.

Wait, there are how many Australian race cars in the game? Most of which have accomplished more and are extremely cool. Seriously, if I had my way, there could be 20 race cars from Australia in the game, and I have no doubt people would love every one of them, because they actually are awesome.

And there's a good point.
If there was a Nascar type vehicle in the game, you could drive it anywhere.

600HP lard@rse monster on skinny slicks round London Reverse.
Now say you're not scared.
:scared:

........Just a little.:lol:

I just thought I would take a few ideas already posted in this thread. @ Joey I really wouldn't take that popular idea any further I know in the UK there are few NASCAR fans, as someone who follows motorsport, I don't know anyone who's stated they are a interested in nascar. Except well myself, I stayed up late to watch one but I was only disappointed so I guess you can't count me as a fan anymore either :lol:. The fact that they are on the motorsport channels in the early hours of the morning are a testament to that.

BUT I agree with Joey, even if its not popular here that's no reason not to include stock car racing, A) because its popular elsewhere B) because there is little reason to exclude it other than for some reason many people hate the series.

I don't want to see PD waste their money on acquiring the NASCAR licence because Gran Turismo isn't about oval racing, Nor do I want to see PD wasting loads of time modelling loads of ovals. However since we already have a few ovals, and a few other courses that stock cars do race at then I see no reason why PD couldn't model a stock car in 8 different imaginary Gran Turismo liveries just like they did with the formula Gran Turismo.

I voted 'no' I don't want to see a NASCAR update, but I wouldn't mind a Gran Turismo stock car thrown in.

Like I have just said I don't want to see Gran Turismo to head in the oval direction so much that there is an entire event hall dedicated to oval racing, nor do I want to see loads of ovals modelled but taking advantage of what we've got already with on generic stock car, could interest a good number of people with such little effort from PD

Throw in one series in the American event hall.

Stock car series:

Super speedway (already modelled)
Infineon race way 'stock car course' (already modelled)
Daytona Oval (already modelled)
High Speed Ring (I can imagine this being fun in stock cars, although technically not an oval) (already modelled)
Leguna seca (already modelled)

[Edit] Perhaps even the test course, again not like a normal oval but it would be an extreme high speed battle[/edit] oh yeah, and (already modelled)

5 race series sorted. No need for extra tracks all that needs modelling is one generic car without even bothering with licence money, just give it 8 colour schemes (why 8? because it will be a 16 car grid, two cars per colour).

Only people who strive for 100% completion and don't like the event would suffer, everyone else could simply ignore it. For the most part its a win win situation. I strive for 100% one series would actually feel like a bit of a change, as long as the races aren't real length :scared:

Maybe just maybe PD could throw in a full length one at Daytona as an endurance race. Kind of cool I guess, but it would probably be a job for b-spec bob for me :D

I see the inclusion of one generic Gran Turismo made stock car as an easy inclusion with hardly any downsides. If you were forced to use it lots I could understand why so many people are opposed to it.

All that said, I want it to be in GT5, I don't want it as an update for prologue. 👍

Last edited:
So because GT5 sells better in the US means there should be Nascars in it? Revention's comment really doesnt prove anything. Open your eyes and look at it this way:
Open your eyes.

Turbo's little comment was that because GT didn't sell well in the US, a NASCAR would be pointless. I showed otherwise.

Read the whole thing next time before you try to stick words in my mouth.
I think if PD was going to put a Nascar in a GT game, they would have done it in GT4.
So? This argument is just as dumb as Turbo's on GT not selling well in America=no point for Nascar.

A "Nascar" was already in GT2. Besides that, your argument can be used for any car. If PD wanted Porsche, they would have done a better job acquiring them for GT4.
And like I said in a seperate thread, the racing culture in Europe, for example, has a differenet interest and passion for pure road racing, spawned from the likes of Formula 1, and WRC.
I should add that this is probably why you're likely to find a better driver / race on the PAL version online.
So because Europe has more broadcasted road racing, you guys are suddenly better in a video game? Lol, racing talent isn't something you can create, & your points have zero factual evidence to be linked together.

Just because Americans have purchased more copies, doesnt mean PD should cater to the US and throw Nascars in the mix.
I'm loving this bias. When Turbo said that GT didn't sell well in the US, so Nascars would be pointless (in short, saying the opposite of your quote), you were silent as a lamb. Now that I've shown otherwise, you have an actual opinion, but you're just not reading everything.

I'm not saying PD should cater to anyone. However, you guys are. You guys are directly saying that because of the reasons you all have listed, i.e. your opinions, PD should cater to you, and not put Nascar in.

Your opinions do not stand for the rest of us. Some of us would like to see them, and have actually provided information that fits alongside GT's wanting to be a History of Cars game, or whatever. You're just presenting the argument, "I don't like it, so it shouldn't be in". Say I didn't like V8 Supercars. Why should your motorsport be in, and not mine?
-Why waste the time researching and implementing a Nascar when PD could put in the programming and design time towards other cars that EVERYONE would be interested in driving.
Ah, so you do think you speak for everyone & that know exactly what everyone wants to drive.

Sorry buddy, you don't. Try again next time by presenting facts, not opinions.

Reventón;3272719
So because Europe has more broadcasted road racing, you guys are suddenly better in a video game? Lol, racing talent isn't something you can create, & your points have zero factual evidence to be linked together.

Highlife GT is actually from san Diego :P so its not really 'us europeans making that claim' I agree with your statement however. 👍

NASCAR is unlikely to appear in GT5:P due to already mentioned licensing contracts. However, there are, or have been in the past, plenty of similar of NASCAR-style race series run all over the world. The Speedcar series which is running at the moment in Dubai, Bahrain and Sepang uses similar spec cars and even has 7 former Formula 1 drivers, as well as a GTPlanet member, in it's ranks. Gaining a licence to feature these cars will be much easier and cheaper for PD than it would be to have genuine NASCAR teams.

NASCAR is unlikely to appear in GT5:P due to already mentioned licensing contracts. However, there are, or have been in the past, plenty of similar of NASCAR-style race series run all over the world. The Speedcar series which is running at the moment in Dubai, Bahrain and Sepang uses similar spec cars and even has 7 former Formula 1 drivers, as well as a GTPlanet member, in it's ranks. Gaining a licence to feature these cars will be much easier and cheaper for PD than it would be to have genuine NASCAR teams.

Any more info on that by PM?

NASCAR is boring, you just watch a bunch of people go around in circles, incase they wanna put more NASCAR tracks in GT5, i hope they put infield sections to make it more challenging...LIKE F1 GPs

like the DAYTONA infield section since it has turns.

NASCAR is not boring, especially not when you need to drive.
Its actually a very intense, challenging and close motorsport.
The problem with GT & NASCAR is that GT5P would need pitstops and proper crash physics for NASCAR, it would be like bumper cars now.

If people wanted NASCAR, they'd buy NASCAR09.
No because the game sucks. lol

I voted no as it doesn't interest me. If I wanted to experience something from outside of Europe I think I'd go for Australian Bathhurst (spelling?).

Just to add my two keystrokes to some of the previous pages:

1. A thread on this forum showed that GT5P sales were much higher in Europe. Of course PD may want to pander to that and ignore NASCAR, or they may add NASCAR to try and up US interest.
2. The EU is a bigger market (500 million according to EU stats from December) so financially it may make more sense to concentrate on what would be popular in Europe. On the other hand I think PD does the GT series for the love of cars so they may not care.

To be honest some of it comes down to culture, NASCAR just seems boring to me, I even tried a real life sprint round an oval and found that boring too. What bores me in real life is unlikely to appeal to me in a game. I already hate the oval track we've got in GT5P, even the in-field section doesn't help much.

It's the same with American football, it doesn't seem to match the European culture so, while it's shown over here, not many people watch it.

Anyway, the question was what I wanted, and I don't want NASCAR so I voted no.

Gran Turismo is all about exitement of racing. Spoons, chichanes, all types of turns. NASCAR is just 100's of laps going in circles. That is really boring. 1 NASCAR in GT5 wont kill us but that means 1 less car made for turns. Would you take the Nissan GTR out for a car that only can turn left?

they are race cars like any race car maybe with more adjustments. if you know how you can set them up for any track you want.bottom line they are just cars when it comes down to it.just like any race car.

Reventón;3272604
Your opinion, not fact.

This website hints otherwise.
http://www.totalvideogames.com/Gran-Turismo-4/news/Gran-Turismo-Sales-Data-7262.html

GT1-GT4:
Japan - 6.94 million
US - 16.77 million
EU - 16.64 million

Well, holy crap. Not including GT5:P, the US has actually sold more copies than Europe through out the game's franchise?!

Your argument=No research, and thus, no longer holds a valid excuse against Nascar.

Ok, thats link is nearly 4 years old.

GT5P has sold twice as much i the EU as it has in the US

1450 Europe
0610 USA
0270 Japan
0040 SE Asia

and according to PD total sales Link:

EU: 21,910,000
US: 18,500,000

When doing reasearch always check the date :sly:

From what I see it isnt about the car its about the lack of respect for this type of racing. And I'm sorry but when you have respect for somthing like "Drifting" and not for "NASCAR" I cant take your opinion seriously.

Fine you dont like it and its boring to you. Heck F1 in my opinion is the most boring, at least you get passing in NASCAR. But that is not a reason to exclude it from a video game where diversity should win out.

As for NASCAR not "fitting" GT thats such as snob statment. Honestly what makes GT great is it has no "fit" it can be whatever it wants. It doesnt just follow one series.

Now if it was up to me GT would be a "Le Mans" simulator.

"The more narrow minded you are, the less you experience."

Ok, thats link is nearly 4 years old.

GT5P has sold twice as much i the EU as it has in the US

1450 Europe
0610 USA
0270 Japan
0040 SE Asia

and according to PD total sales Link:

EU: 21,910,000
US: 18,500,000

When doing reasearch always check the date :sly:
It's 4 years old because it does not factor in GT5:P which I already said beforehand.
Not including GT5:P, the US has actually sold more copies than Europe through out the game's franchise?!

If you look on Polyphony's website, any sales except GT5:P are also 4 years old.

BTW, good job adding all the versions sold in Europe. That's an extremely fair result considering we did not get them in the states.
Your EU numbers should be 21,120,000 for a fair comparison.

Either way, your previous argument is still flawed. The US has easily outsold the Japanese in all 5 major releases, so why should they get several SuperGT cars and the US can't have a few stock cars?

Reventón;3273053
It's 4 years old because it does not factor in GT5:P which I already said beforehand.

If you look on Polyphony's website, any sales except GT5:P are also 4 years old.

No, all the sales on the official link have been updated if you actually look.

Reventón;3273053
BTW, good job adding all the versions sold in Europe. That's an extremely fair result considering we did not get them in the states.
Your EU numbers should be 21,120,000 for a fair comparison.

Thank you, but its still more than the US

Reventón;3273053
Either way, your previous argument is still flawed. The US has easily outsold the Japanese in all 5 major releases, so why should they get several SuperGT cars and the US can't have a few stock cars?

Because they have better releationship with japanese car makers like nissan and championships like the Super GT so its easy to get permission for there cars.

Has no one thought about EA having the rights to Nascar because im sure EA would kick off about someone using the cars in there games.

Last edited:
Because they have better releationship with japanese car makers like nissan and championships like the Super GT so its easy to get permission for there cars.

Last time i checked, toyota is Japanese

Has no one thought about EA having the rights to Nascar because im sure EA would kick off about someone using the cars in there games.

http://iracing.com/carsTracks/cars.php?lc=1

- Chevrolet Silverado

- Chevrolet Impala SS

- SK Modified

- Monte Carlo SS

Going to an individual manufacture and getting a license for the car itself isnt that hard. EA only has the rights to the series "NASCAR", not the individual cars.

Last edited:
Just imagine how much PUNTING would happen then!!! :crazy:
I can't stand nascar at all!! :yuck:
i'd rather watch ping pong :D

I answered no to this poll, I do not want a nascar in GT. If the question for the poll was, would I reconsider buying GT5 if they added a nascar, I would answer no.
I do not like racing cars(except WRC or drift) the only time I use them in GT is when there is no road car that can win the race, but it does not bother me that the race cars are there, I just don't use them.
But I must say I would be against any more oval tracks, I HATE them and always skip them if possible.

Last edited:
Highlife GT is actually from san Diego :P so its not really 'us europeans making that claim' I agree with your statement however. 👍

LOL, I am actually from Milwaukee, WI originally, but am stationed and live in San diego.

I agree that driving talent is a natural ability, coming from anyone of any nationality. But, the environment and culture you are raised in can have a huge effect on the things we strive to be good at. We all know the differences in Europe, Japan, and US cultures somewhat.
-I'm thinkin of getting stationed in England for my next duty station. Perhaps then I can pick up a Pal version and sit down with some "mates" for a cheeky gt5 race. lol.

Merika and the NTSC online races will have to do in the meantime. I'm too cheap to buy a Pal tv and ps3. = P

LOL, I am actually from Milwaukee, WI originally, but am stationed and live in San diego.

I agree that driving talent is a natural ability, coming from anyone of any nationality. But, the environment and culture you are raised in can have a huge effect on the things we strive to be good at. We all know the differences in Europe, Japan, and US cultures somewhat.
-I'm thinkin of getting stationed in England for my next duty station. Perhaps then I can pick up a Pal version and sit down with some "mates" for a cheeky gt5 race. lol.

Merika and the NTSC online races will have to do in the meantime. I'm too cheap to buy a Pal tv and ps3. = P

You dont need a PAL TV and PS3 all you need is a HDTV and a PAL copy works on any PS3.

I thought they unlocked GT5p? What did they do re-lock it?

Btw you know what else doesnt "fit" the GT standard? Damage, Weather, Time of day real time transition, But I bet nobody would complain if they wanted to put some of that stuff in the game.

Like I said before the more stuff the better.

Back