NBA 2010-2011 Thread

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 1,141 comments
Mike Miller and Udonis Haslem both make it official with Miami. Supposedly UD turned down an extra $10m to stay on board with the Heat, rather than take another offer. Oh, and both played on Florida Gators' college team back in 2000-2002; it was fun watching them then and it'll be fun watching them again, although getting a piece of the limelight is going to be tough.

Derek Fisher re-signs with the LA Lakers. I mean, he's got 5 rings with them already, so can you blame him?

Word is George Gervin and Oscar Robertson are coming back... ;)

Mike Miller and Udonis Haslem both make it official with Miami. Supposedly UD turned down an extra $10m to stay on board with the Heat, rather than take another offer. Oh, and both played on Florida Gators' college team back in 2000-2002; it was fun watching them then and it'll be fun watching them again, although getting a piece of the limelight is going to be tough.

Derek Fisher re-signs with the LA Lakers. I mean, he's got 5 rings with them already, so can you blame him?

Word is George Gervin and Oscar Robertson are coming back... ;)
I read that. I'm glad Fisher's headed back to L.A. Haslem's solid, and I've always liked Miller's game(as a shooter). Very nice additions to Heat, they are good pieces.

I don't know much about Mike Miller, but Udonis is certainly a decent player. Isn't he a Forward though? Who's going to be their centre? Because I haven't seen much height on their team yet.

I don't know much about Mike Miller, but Udonis is certainly a decent player. Isn't he a Forward though? Who's going to be their centre? Because I haven't seen much height on their team yet.
Local paper in Portland is reporting Juwan Howard is close to signing with the Heat. He was absolutely great veteran off the bench in Portland.

I find it greatly annoying that I never heard about Blazers trying to retain him. It still makes me laugh that they fired our GM, Kevin Pritchard an hour before the NBA draft, and going into FA with no replacement in place. Largest FA in the history of NBA, maybe of the pro sports, and we purposefully cripple our front office capability at the worst timing possible. "Retarded" doe not begin to describe the way we started our off season. :dunce:

Anyway(long rant), Howard can play some center.
Edit:
ESPN/AP
MIAMI -- Zydrunas Ilgauskas is following LeBron James to the Miami Heat.

Ilgauskas
Ilgauskas

"Once LeBron signed there, LeBron started recruiting him," said Herb Rudoy, Ilgauskas' agent, according to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, which first reported the move.

The veteran center, who started playing for Cleveland in 1997 and has never suited up for another NBA team, expects to sign a two-year contract with the Heat later this week, Rudoy said Tuesday. The two-year deal would come with a player option for the second season, Rudoy said.

"We've agreed to agree," Rudoy said.

The Heat had no immediate comment. They had talks about acquiring Ilgauskas when he was available this past season after being dealt in a three-team trade to Washington. The Wizards subsequently bought out his contract and made him a free agent.

Ilgauskas is the Cavs' career leader in games played, blocked shots and rebounds. The 7-foot-3 Lithuanian was drafted by the club in 1996 and overcame serious foot injuries that nearly ended his career.

He's just the latest name to join what shapes up as a serious title contender in Miami, joining not only James but Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, Udonis Haslem and Mike Miller, who agreed to a deal late last week that remains unsigned.

"His best chance to win a championship would be in Miami," Rudoy said.

Ilgauskas told Cavs owner Dan Gilbert and general manager Chris Grant the news on Tuesday. James played a role in luring Ilgauskas to Miami, and other teams were interested as well.

Ilgauskas was immensely popular in Cleveland, and expects to keep a home in the city.

"It's hard," Rudoy said. "It's been 14 years. It was very hard for him. I know that. When he called Chris Grant and Dan Gilbert today, it was definitely a hard decision at this stage of his career. But he wants to win a championship. That's how he made this decision."

Playing as a reserve for the first time, Ilgauskas averaged 7.4 points and 5.4 rebounds last season. For his career, Ilgauskas has averaged 13.8 points and 7.7 rebounds, plus has played in two All-Star games.
Not that I was skeptical about the talent this team was going to add in addition to the Big-3, but holy christ, scary just keeps on getting scarier.

Last edited:
I'm still waiting on Gilbert's scathing letter for Z leaving the Cavs after 14 years... :lol:

I'm not happy with just him though. We need a true starter, and neither he nor Joel Anthony will cut it. If Dampier gets cut by the Bobcats he'd be a decent pickup if he accepts the minimum, but I'm still holding my hopes for Kwame Brown or Etan Thomas, who are more decent big bodies that might be able to handle Dwight Howard, Andrew Bynum, etc. for us.

I'm still waiting on Gilbert's scathing letter for Z leaving the Cavs after 14 years... :lol:

I'm not happy with just him though. We need a true starter, and neither he nor Joel Anthony will cut it. If Dampier gets cut by the Bobcats he'd be a decent pickup if he accepts the minimum, but I'm still holding my hopes for Kwame Brown or Etan Thomas, who are more decent big bodies that might be able to handle Dwight Howard, Andrew Bynum, etc. for us.
Good thing I wasn't next to you, Gian, I'd have slapped you!

Etan Thomas? Kwame Brown? I thought it was bad when you started off with Dampier, and it just kept on getting worse! :lol:

Ilgauskas wouldn't make a bad starter at all, not when you have Wade, James and Bosh in the line up. Only question is his health.

Trust me, I threw up a little in my mouth when I typed those names too.

But those are the only centers out there willing to take the minimum to sign with a team, this free agency. IMO, Z guarding Dwight is the reason the Cavs lost to the Magic in 2009.

If Spoelstra doesn't make the playoffs he'll be back.

I think he can be replaced as soon as they stop dominating. If they are on the pace to get in the Playoffs as one of the lower seed, I think he'd be out.
Trust me, I threw up a little in my mouth when I typed those names too.

But those are the only centers out there willing to take the minimum to sign with a team, this free agency. IMO, Z guarding Dwight is the reason the Cavs lost to the Magic in 2009.
I should keep my mouth shut, because I didnt' watch that series, but.....

From what I've seen, Dwight couldn't beat any decent Playoff teams. First of all, you should be beating the crap out of Dwight, force him to the line. If he's still scoring, pack the middle, forcing him to give up the ball.

I realize it's not as simple as that, but by my observation, Cleveland roster was filled with players who crumbled under pressure. Except Shaq, but he's like 54 years old.

Middle is a critical position in the playoff run, but you don't want crap center. I can settle for Dampier, but I'd put Wade at center before I give Kwame a another chance.

What's preventing him from joining in?

He's waiting for the NBA to approve walkers on the court.:lol:

Do the Heat even have any cap room left? Not sure Shaq would take a minimum deal, although this isn't exactly a normal team either.

Shaq's awesome!:lol: But he's way pass his prime. I don't think much of Ilgauskas, he seems to be a little on the weak side and gets pushed around too much.

I don't know, I think Ilgauska's decently skilled, fairly smart player. I think you could do a lot worse.

The Raptors traded Hedo Turkoglu to get Leandro Barbosa and another Forward, a good trade I think, Hedo didn't seem on top of his game with Toronto.
Aint it funny how stuff like that works sometimes? One player can go to a new team and play the best basketball of his career, like Sonny Weems, and another take a step backwards, like Hedo Turkoglu. It makes me wonder if James and Bosh will still play as well in Miami.

Last edited:
The Raptors traded Hedo Turkoglu to get Leandro Barbosa and another Forward, a good trade I think, Hedo didn't seem on top of his game with Toronto.
Aint it funny how stuff like that works sometimes? One player can go to a new team and play the best basketball of his career, like Sonny Weems, and another take a step backwards, like Hedo Turkoglu. It makes me wonder if James and Bosh will still play as well in Miami.
Hedo had it coming, way he backstabbed the Blazers last summer(he backed out of a contract). I hope he struggles in Phoenix, but unfortunately, I think Gentry's offense would suit Turkoglu's style of play.

So how does Summer League work? The Raptors went un-defeated, 5-0, but I'm just wondering who, how and which players are eligible to enter? Half the players they used aren't even Raptors, but of course a lot of them were rookies or sophomore players, like DeRozan.

So how does Summer League work? The Raptors went un-defeated, 5-0, but I'm just wondering who, how and which players are eligible to enter? Half the players they used aren't even Raptors, but of course a lot of them were rookies or sophomore players, like DeRozan.
First of all, not all teams have summer league teams. If I'm not mistaken, teams sometimes combine roster to make one team?

NBA team selects the players who will play for its summer league team. They consist of young, developing players who are already under contract for that club, or players who are trying to obtain a contract, not necessarily from the team they are playing for. It's basically a warm up for the rookies/sophomores, and display stage for the players trying to make the team/league.

Future superstar can fail miserably at summer leagues(there are usually at least two or more), summer league MVPs can be completely irrelevant in the NBA. It's an organized scrimmage where scouting goes on, not much more.

The Rockets made a big Free Agent pick by taking Brad Miller, formerly of the Chicago Bulls. It is said that he should have no problem acclimating himself towards Houston's offense since Miller spent three years in Sacramento under Rick Adelman's offense. The Center should be a solid backup to Yao Ming. I just hope he can be a difference maker for my Rockets. We also retained Kyle Lowry and Luis Scola. Both of these fellows are solid players, so I'm proud we still have them. Still sad we've given up Carl Landry during last season.

Scola is a pretty decent player indeed if I understand correctly.

Thanks for the info on Summer league a6m5.👍

So 4 Heat season tickets cost $7,400. Mom's boss just bought them. And those are the cheap ones. Hopefully I'll be able to go with him to a game or two.

Whoa, what?! One season pass is almost $2k? That's heaps! Then again I suppose that's under $25/game, which isn't so bad.

Whoa, what?! One season pass is almost $2k? That's heaps! Then again I suppose that's under $25/game, which isn't so bad.

$45 a game. The tickets aren't good for away games.

Oh, right. Plus those are the cheap ones? No wonder NBA is so flashy, the money they make! I can attend V8 Supercars for less.:crazy: Anybody know when the season is roughly due to start? The FIBA World Championship fast approaches too. (Next week actually! Australia looks in pretty good shape really even without Bogut. Our biggest worry in our group is probably Argentina, who don't have Ginobli this time).

Last edited:
So 4 Heat season tickets cost $7,400. Mom's boss just bought them. And those are the cheap ones. Hopefully I'll be able to go with him to a game or two.

:ouch: Those are probably nose bleed seats too.:lol:

You have to pay for Lebron,Wade,Bosh and Z somehow. Omni's,I bet your in for one hell of a show when you see any of these games,have fun. 👍

I've gone to million games, all lower level tickets, but I never pay. And they come with parking, dinner pass, or bracelet to get any non-alcohol concession stands food & snacks for free. It's the company tickets from work. :P

Latest Posts

Back