NBA 2010-2011 Thread

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 1,141 comments
The one thing I think of is how vulnerable the Rockets are as the announcement of Yao Ming playing no more than 24 minutes a game. That means that teams will have an idea as to how to attack the Rockets for when Yao is not in the game. On the other hand, it will also mean that the other players on the floor will have to step up on both sides of the ball to give the Rockets the edge. Then again, maybe this would prevent the referees for giving Yao any kind of foul calls under the sun.

I'm just a bit worried about how the Rockets will actually utilize Yao this season and how the team will fare in and out of his absence. Of course, it's not like he puts in 48 minutes (foul trouble notwithstanding) for all 80-something games.

Since he can only play 24 minutes why not bring him off the bench. he can come and dominate the other team's second string center.

I think I'm going to be more of a basketball fan this season. I was watching the Heat training camp thing on NBA TV and these guys are sick. Should be a good season!

Now that I can record digital TV, I should get to see some more of the games this year, not that we get many in Australia anyway, like a couple a week.

Dwayne Wade gets hurt (hamstring) 3 minutes into the pre-season. Lots of rest planned, because it's about 3 weeks until the games count. The stadium was nearly packed (which kind of amazing for any exhibition game in South Florida) although not surprisingly, nearly empty by the end (most of our sports fans can be some of the worst in terms of being fair-weather and having other things to do). Heat won by 16, but were up by 20 at the half.

Yeah, NBA Preseason games have kicked off proper. The real deal begins October 26. This will be our first look at the new players and those looking to battle for roster spots. I didn't get to see highlights of my Rockets in action, but I am hopeful that we can have some much better performance and get more out of our players. I was like a giddy schoolgirl when we picked up Patrick Patterson. I read that Yao Ming played only 12 minutes. I think it's really asking a lot out of the rest of the team to pick up the slack with Yao off the floor. This isn't "Yao and everybody else," but the team has to step up on both sides of the ball when Yao isn't on the floor. I think we have a chance to return to the playoffs this season after missing out last season (including a pathetic loss at the Pacers when we were pretty much done for the Postseason).

Oh, we lost 97-88 to the Magic last night. Up next- the Interstate-10 Rivalry: Rockets at Spurs on Thursday night.

Whoo! Toronto won by 51pts against Phoenix, 129-78.:eek::D I can only assume that Phoenix didn't put the same effort into their first pre-season game, but there aren't any highlights, at least not yet.:(

Sad for the Rockets is that we won't be playing at Toyota Center until October 30th. My Rockets will head out to China to play two Preseason games starting on Wednesday. I hear the venue in Beijing is a nice NBA-style arena. When I blogged about international basketball, I've really just been in awe of just how much basketball has evolved into an international sport as well as how much China has embraced basketball.

You ready for October 26th and the start of the new season? Because Dish no longer carries FOX Sports, I'll be unable to check out Houston Rockets games on TV (including the lovely commentary of Bill Worrell, Clyde Drexler, and Matt Bullard). So I may have to start listening to Rockets games on the radio (or at least look for games to be shown on NBA TV or on other networks). Sad thing is that my Rockets won't play their first game at home until this coming Saturday.

The new season is coming... it won't be too much longer until all 30 teams will hoop it up again!

You ready for October 26th and the start of the new season? Because Dish no longer carries FOX Sports, I'll be unable to check out Houston Rockets games on TV (including the lovely commentary of Bill Worrell, Clyde Drexler, and Matt Bullard). So I may have to start listening to Rockets games on the radio (or at least look for games to be shown on NBA TV or on other networks). Sad thing is that my Rockets won't play their first game at home until this coming Saturday.

The new season is coming... it won't be too much longer until all 30 teams will hoop it up again!
Blazer fans in Oregon has been suffering similar fate, last 2, 3 years. Comcast cable took over the rights to the Pay-TV part of the Blazer broadcast, and they pretty much turned it into an weapon to force viewers to subscribe to cable TV. Years later, the situation is still unresolved. Since Dish sells on affordability, their subscribers are the first one to feel the squeeze.

This is very closely related to overpaid athletes. Teams has to pay these ridiculously high wages, and still find profit for the league & their operation. Don't get me wrong, they have always looked for profits. But at this point, it's past teams profiting. They are escalating things just in order to survive.

I don't understand the people siding with the players on the lockout issue. They spend corporate type money on tickets, $15 a person on tiny snack & beer, $15 on the parking, pay for TV that they still has to watch commercials on, game footage that has sponsor signs pasted everywhere & highlights that start with corporate sponsor name, and they still don't think there is a problem.

Personally, I'm sick of pay more, see more advertisements, and less content for the fans.

The 2010-2011 season just tipped off! You ready for a new season, GTPlanet? It's the Heat at Celtics followed by my Rockets at the twice-defending champion Lakers.

So far, so bad for the Heat. They lost at the Celtics earlier today by about seven or eight points. Both teams finished up in the 80s as far as points are concerned. And as I had predicted, my Rockets lost at the Lakers in a real tight fit. Second half adjustments led the purple and gold past my Rockets. K-Mart for the Rockets was solid as well as Aaron Brooks. Scola was stout as always as well.

My Rockets will now entertain the Golden State Warriors in Oakland tomorrow night. Hope your team(s) did well (assuming they played Tuesday night)!

[UPDATE] Here's a note I forgot to make. The Facebook fan page for the Miami Heat already has people feeling like the season is over already. It's just one game. Get a grip, people. Some people give up too easily on a season just because of one loss. Then too, who said the 2010-2011 Miami Heat were going to surpass the Chicago Bulls in wins?

Last edited:
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about the Heat. Having said that, Go Blazers, Go Celtics, Go Lakers. All the good guys won tonight. :P Oh, and Go Blake! :D:tup:

That Heat game was painful to watch last night. The Celtics were much more physical, and made many more of their shots last night. Miami looked totally uncomposed and Wade/Bosh looked stressed more than anything else.

I must admit, Shaq actually looked good...even if he is the real "Big Baby".

Yep, I was shocked to see the Heat play so poorly, I mean even if they didn't gel well here's Lebron missing wide open jump shots by the handful. They'll get into a groove sooner or later.

[UPDATE] Here's a note I forgot to make. The Facebook fan page for the Miami Heat already has people feeling like the season is over already. It's just one game. Get a grip, people. Some people give up too easily on a season just because of one loss. Then too, who said the 2010-2011 Miami Heat were going to surpass the Chicago Bulls in wins?

That's Miami fans for you. Lose one game and it's off with the coach's head and the team is hopeless and pathetic.

rebuttle.gif

I can't believe they stuck in the game at the end when they shot so terribly. Once Mike Miller returns and our shooting game is at least average, the Heat should be fine. If they made all those shots the Celtics probably would've been dominated. We got all the boards and would've had over 100 points.

I was actually most disappointed to see James scoring more than a third of the team's points. Sure Wade wasn't producing in the game, but geez, look at how many stars and good players you guys have and they still leave it all up to Lebron to do it all. I also can't see why Howard didn't play, I know why Stackhouse didn't play. I still can't believe they got Stackhouse as well.

Wade didn't score much because he was playing a lot of point guard. I think the situation the Heat have is different from any team in recent history. Every player is a hybrid, so I don't know what Spoelstra has them doing. But I noticed the Celtics collapsing on Wade Bosh and James, and there was always one guy on the other side of the court waiting to take the 3. Wade would usually drive the lane and then fling it across to the open guy on the arch. Too bad that guy kept missing. I guess that's the role Mike Miller is supposed to play. Like I said, they would've had well over 100 pts if those 3s went in the basket.

It's not just in Miami, that's just typical sports fans for ya.

I have no doubt in my mind, barring injuries, that they will succeed in Miami. They simply have too much talent not to. Having said that, I am not crowning them the Eastern Conference Champions yet, because NBA superstar treatment often does not apply during the physical Playoff basketball. Exactly why teams like Boston's so money in the postseason, and it helps teams like Portland fold like origami.

Yeah I heard the Blazers will be playing in actual blazers to make Greg Oden feel better. How long has he been out now?

Yeah I heard the Blazers will be playing in actual blazers to make Greg Oden feel better. How long has he been out now?
whatever.... Since early December, last year. :dopey: But then-GM Pritchard got us Marcus Camby, who's been huge. He signed an extension I think in March or April? I was afraid that he was going to be one of those veteran who sign a big contract late in his career, then really slow down. Lucky for us, we haven't seen any of that from him in the two games Blazers already played this season.

Blazers also signed Oberto, who I really liked with the Championship Spurs team & Gold Medalist Argentinian team. Joel Przybilla, our starting center, he, along with Oden, is expected back in few weeks. Przy's funny. He blew out his knee against the Mavs. Then during rehab after the surgery, he broke it again slipping in shower. :ouch: :lol: At least he's a fast healer!

Another Rockets loss. This time, not as close as the Rockets at Lakers game. So we're 0-2 and finally coming home for Saturday night's home opener against Denver. Better news around my way is that by tomorrow, my parents may finally switch over to AT&T U-Verse, so I will be able to watch FOX Sports Houston finally after having to settle for FS Southwest (which cares more about Dallas and San Antonio sports than Houston (except for the few Astros games they show at times)).

Rockets went winless in California. Maybe a trip back to Southeast Texas will cheer my red boys up...

Raptors lost their first game too, but only just to the Knicks, I saw them play at a lot go good basketball but they weren't able to string together a big run to put NY down. Reggie Evans got a whopping 16 rebounds, and Bargnani scored 22pts. Jarret Jack is really coming alive.
I saw Bogut also got 15 rebounds in Milwaukee's first game. I was watching a lot of the highlight reels and most teams seem to be playing much more fluid basketball than Miami was even in their game 2 win. Although I'm sure Miami's steam will keep building and building.

Jarrett Jack's still with the Raptors, I forgot! I love him, I wish the Blazers still had him. 👍

Unfortunately, we're NOT getting AT&T U-Verse, so I'll still have to listen to NBA games. Good thing is that the Rockets hosting the Nuggets will be on NBATV. So I'll be sure to have a look at that. I may see if there are a few other games on tonight since this new channel package we got.

Tonight- Miami hosts Orlando after the Magic mopped the floor with the Wizards. You can call this the battle for the Sunshine State. We'll see whether it's the South Florida boys (Miami) or the central Florida boys (Orlando) who wins tonight's match. It should be a game with scoring north, or even well north of 80 points for both teams.

[UPDATE] Recently, FOX Sports came back in my channel lineup (though I don't have F.S. Houston). So I may get to see the Nuggets at Rockets game tomorrow night. By the way... what do you make of the NBA calling more technical fouls for any sort of overreaction by players after being called for a foul?

Last edited:
Back