Need for speed gets "serious".....confirmed!

• Thread starter Hereward
  • 2,170 comments
Need for Speed: Shift will be made by Slightly Mad Studios of GT Legends and GTR 2 fame

Well, I loved GTR2. Still play it about once a week or so.

Sounds promising, as long as they lock the usual NFS developers in a closet.

;)

Interview (just the Shift stuff; click the source link for questioning on the other two):

GameSpot
Given the upheaval surrounding Black Box, many gamers have been pondering the fate of the Electronic Arts' subsidiary's signature series. Today, EA announced that one of the partially shuttered Canadian operation's franchises, Need for Speed, will continue to be developed.

Indeed, not only will the street-racing series carry on, it will be expanded and split into three different franchises. The first, Need for Speed: Shift, is a hardcore racing simulation in the works for the PC, PSP, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3. It is being developed by a hybrid team of internal and external developers in the UK, including Black Box executive producer Michael Mann and EA Games Europe senior vice president--and Digital Illusions CE cofounder--Patrick Soderlund. The outside help comes from Slightly Mad Studios, which was cofounded earlier this month by former GT Legends developer Ian Bell.

The second NFS franchise to rise from Black Box's ashes is Need for Speed Nitro (working title), an arcade racer being crafted by the Boogie-makers at EA Montreal. Set for release exclusively on Nintendo's Wii and DS, the game will sport a "unique visual style" and, like Need for Speed Shift, will sport many real-world automotive licenses. Also like Shift, it will ship in North American this fall.

Finally, six years after EA shut down its first car-based massively multiplayer game, Motor City Online, the publisher is backing the auto MMOG genre out of the garage again. Jointly developed by Black Box and EA Shanghai, Need for Speed World Online is a PC-only, free-to-play game set to launch in Asia this coming summer. A North American release is scheduled for "winter 2009," which could potentially mean an early 2010 release.

With NFS being challenged for racing gamers' dollars by Microsoft's Forza Motorsport, Take-Two's Midnight Club, and EA's own Burnout series, why did the publisher decide to mix up its winning formula so drastically? Keith Munro, Electronic Arts' vice president of marketing, laid down some informational rubber with GameSpot in an exclusive interview.

GS: Need for Speed Undercover performed below expectations, selling less than 940,000 units in the US according to NPD. That's about half the 2.1 million units ProStreet sold since 2007, one third Need for Speed Carbon's nearly 3.1 million units, and just a fraction of Need for Speed Most Wanted's 3.9 million units and Need for Speed Underground 2's 4.5 million units. What makes EA think it can turn it around?

Keith Munro: We need to compare apples to apples over a similar time frame, and in fact, globally Need for Speed Undercover sales are comparable to ProStreet on a week-to-date basis. That's pretty impressive, especially given the economic environment and the heavy competition we saw last fall. As we move forward with the franchise, we are confident that the new brand strategy around three specific genres will keep the game fresh and players entertained. As the market leader in the racing category, we are talking with gamers on a regular basis.

For years, we've understood that even though our flagship action-driving games, such as Undercover, Carbon, and Most Wanted, have tremendous appeal, there are still lots of other players who craved something different. Our new Need for Speed development strategy has us building different racing experiences for different players, reflecting their needs and wants from this category. This is really about putting consumers first and continuing to provide the best racing experiences for them on all platforms.

GS: Will the three series be annual franchises like NFS is currently?

KM: We're listening to players and will deliver the games on a schedule that makes the most sense for the franchise. Currently, players demand a new Need for Speed property in the market each year.

GS: Will EA be expanding or shrinking the NFS development team as a result of these changes? If the former, which studios will be expanding, and will they be getting staff from other EA studios which are being streamlined?

KM: We are expanding, and this means growth in studios that are new to Need for Speed. We are focusing on creating quality experiences across multiple racing genres; as such, we are using studios to develop games suited to their specific strengths. Need for Speed Shift is an authentic simulation racer, and is being built in the UK by a collaborative team.

EA Montreal has a strong track record in developing for Nintendo platforms. This team is bringing a new visual style to the game, as well as a distinctly "Need for Speed" take on racing as they evolve the arcade-racing genre.

Black Box is still playing a large role in the development of Need for Speed Shift and Need for Speed World Online. Also, we wanted to give the team at Black Box an extended development window so that their next Need for Speed action game could really blow the doors off the category.

NFS SHIFT
GS: Shift development is being overseen by EA Games SVP Europe Patrick Soderlund and EA Black Box's Michael Mann--where is it being developed?

KM: Shift is being developed in the UK by a collaborative team including Slightly Mad Studios, senior vice president Patrick Soderlund from EA Games Europe, and exec producer Mike Mann from Black Box. Slightly Mad Studios includes developers that worked on highly acclaimed PC simulation racing titles GT Legends and GTR 2.

GS: You say the game is "built by racers for racers." Does that mean this game will be EA's Gran Turismo or Forza?

KM: There are a couple of levels to this. First, we have a number of people working on Shift that have real racing and motorsport backgrounds. We'll get into more details on this later, but as an example, Patrick Soderlund is a driver and part of the racing team that recently competed in the 4th edition of the Toyo Tires 24H Dubai 2009, the first major race event of the year. His team ranked 5th in this high-profile race. He is very passionate about and committed to bringing the on-the-track experience to players around the world.

Second, regarding other games in the sim racing genre. We see Shift joining the ranks of the world's top simulation racing games with authentic cars and tracks, but it definitely offers its own signature look and feel. Shift represents the true driver's experience. Traditional simulation driving games tend to focus on replicating a car's performance, Shift moves beyond that by combining a player's unique driving style with accurately modeled cars to really drive home what it feels like to be behind the wheel.

We're also bringing the built-by-racers authenticity via core technology. Need for Speed is renowned for capturing speed and a unique style of racing. Shift continues that through an all-new sophisticated visual interface. For example, there is a three-dimensional HUD that mimics driver head movement, inertia, and G-forces. The depth of field also adjusts based on the speed of the car; so when the car is traveling at high speeds, the perspective will shift to the distance, putting the car/cockpit out of focus.

And we're bringing a brand-new perspective to the action with a cockpit view. This view highlights the authenticity and lavish detail on the vehicles and provides a more realistic and immersive vantage point of the action. This "first-person mode" also comes with a free-look camera on the right thumbstick so the player can really appreciate their surroundings and also get the lowdown on their on-track competition.

GS: Will it take any cues from the new Burnout series, in terms of crashes and damage?

KM: There will be crashes and damage, yes. A realistic simulation racing experience should include the consequences involved when things go bad on the road, so incorporating realistic damage is definitely a critical aspect of this game. There will be a slight impact on your car's performance, but the real consequence for collisions will not be the damage to the car but rather our all-new crash dynamic. This crash dynamic will disorientate the player similar to a real-life impact, but it will not hinder the experience, and it is represented in an exciting manner.

GS: Will the game be open-world or more event-based like Pro Street?

KM: Shift is about competition rather than exploration, featuring a mix of street and track locations. We have some of the world's most recognizable tracks designed to appeal to the most hardcore driving enthusiast. We're not disclosing the complete track list right now, but we have over 15 immersive real-world locations including a London street course and the world-famous Brands Hatch circuit.

GS: What kind of race events will the game feature?

KM: We're not revealing all the race modes and details at this time, but I can say that every maneuver a player performs on the track is a reflection of their driving skill and style--precise, stylish, or aggressive. The evolution of these skills will determine how a player navigates through the game.

GS: Any new car licenses we should know about?

KM: We are not discussing specific licenses, yet but the car list currently represents numerous decades and car styles. Players will be tasked to select cars that are suited to the race event and their overall driving style. We have definitely created a car list that will appeal to everyone. It spans the spectrum of performance vehicles from domestics, exotics, imports, muscle, and everything else in between.

GS: I noticed the game is coming to the PSP--has the platform been successful for the NFS series?

KM: We have had excellent results on the PSP with Need For Speed, and with the continued global growth of that platform, we have high expectations for Shift PSP.

source

Is a "simulator" to be expected? Now that they've got two teams working alternately on the games, maybe the ProStreet team is back, meaning the next game will be another free-roamer attempt at going 'old school' again?

NFS 1 for many years during my teens was may favorite game, but each new NFS that came along got worse and worse.

Shift moves beyond that by combining a player's unique driving style with accurately modeled cars to really drive home what it feels like to be behind the wheel.

I like the sound of that.

I do hope they don't concentrate on racing (like GTR) and think more about driving, driving rather than just racing is the reason I like Gran Turismo so much.

I thought EA announced some time ago that they were killing off the NFS franchise?

They did? Seems wheird they would kill off such a cash spinner.

'Weird'. I too was quite surprised. It obviously sounds ludicrous, but I could've sworn I read a prominent article on it somewhere. Too bad I wipe my browing history monthly.

IF the Shift thing will take ProStreet and perfect that direction(from the sounds of it) AND if it hits sooner than GT5/GTM, I'll regain my trust in the franchise. PS was the peak game in the series and IMO Undercover shattered that good image. I'm more looking forward to the PSP version for same reason as GTM- 1st truly skillful racer on the go.

This one looks good. I like the idea to have the cockpit veiw camera move replicating the g-froces on the driver through, accelerating, turning, braking and crashing.

Summaries from all the major articles

Joystiq

"Even in its early state, SHIFT feels really good. The cars seem to have appropriate weight and noticeable performance differences. There's a perceivable hint of assistance -- hence the dash of arcade-ness -- in the steering beyond the usual traction control and braking assists. We were told that the game will essentially have a driving model that eases new sim drivers into the concept and one for seasoned pros. What can we say -- we were really impressed by what we played. The two tracks were well designed and looked great in various times of day and weather conditions, the cars handled solidly and the **bleep**pit view was intense and immersive."

IGN

"As for the feel of the vehicles, I'd put the game somewhere around the level of PGR in terms of realism, though it's admittedly been a while since I've played PGR so that might not be a perfect match. Regardless, it's certainly a far more realistic experience than pretty much any previous game in the franchise, and for my money, more fun to drive as well. To be sure, while it's not as demanding as Gran Turismo, you'll still need a fine touch on the accelerator, knowledge of whatever track you're on and, most of all, a large amount of respect for whatever vehicle you're in."

Gamespot

"Shift is all about your experience as a race driver. The action will take place on existing, licensed racetracks, on new racetracks created for Shift, and on street circuits. There is no open-road racing this time around, and we were promised you won't be pursued by the police or have to take part in old-fashioned street races. Instead, Shift will feature 15 real-world locations in addition to fictitious tracks. The game will feature more than 70 different cars in total, including hatches, classics, and exotic imports. Though we didn't get to experience Shift's multiplayer, the game will support 16 players in online races. Need for Speed: Shift combines impressive real-world locations and cars, solid simulation gameplay, and some interesting additions to help immerse you in the racing experience. It's currently set for an autumn 2009 release on the PC, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PSP."

In my opinion this looks to confirm an almost exact clone of GRiD. Some articles say its like a sim but IGN clearly states that the cars drive like in PGR and not Gran Turismo. So in other words it is not a sim and only looks and feels like a sim which is exactly what GRiD was. Unless this game has realistic driving physics it will be a pass for me (as a fan of GT and sims in general). To think I actually got excited. Well when I rent it I hope I am proven wrong.

Update:

Found some promising opinions from nfsunlimited.net

"The realism doesn't end in the cockpit though: as soon as the race starts you notice that at full gas, your tires will start spinning and the car will not move like you're used to in an NFS game. The physics engine is completely new and never before seen in an NFS game. They say it's about as realistic as the one in Forza 2 or Gran Turismo and I have to agree. Having tried several different cars (Lotus Elise, Audi RS4, Chevrolet Corvette Z06, Porsche 911 GT2 and Pagani Zonda) I can say that each car handles very differently and mastering a powerful car like the Zonda will take a lot of effort and preferrably an analogue controller. Flooring the acceleration at low speeds in turns with a Zonda will end in spinning out and with bad luck hitting a wall. And crashing is not a good idea - your car will get damaged and your vision will be blurred for a while - like hitting your head hard into a wall. But once you get used to the car and start messing with the assists (turn off ABS and traction control to go hardcore, or turn on the driving line to go a bit casual), all the frustration will be gone and you'll start enjoying the demanding but genuine driving engine, the great sense of speed and the incredible detail in everything - the cockpit, the world and the AI controlled cars (or your car if you use the chase camera). Now if you are getting worried that this is not the Need for Speed you are used to, you'd be correct; it's not. It is completely different, but the core features are still here: great sense of speed and a large selection of top cars.

Previews are hitting the web now and it sounds good, I know there already a thread for this but for the life of me I can't find it sorry.

Like a mountain road just begging to be driven, the Need for Speed franchise has had its highs and lows since its 1994 debut on 3DO. It seemed poised to leap straight off the map following last year's lackluster Undercover; there were even rumors the series was being handed over to the Burnout Paradise team for CPR.

Then up popped not one, but three new NFS games. Need for Speed SHIFT is front-most on the starting grid for a pack that includes a free online PC title, Need for Speed World Online, and the Wii-exclusive Need for Speed: Nitro.
We recently got our hands on SHIFT, a racer that's got the makings to potentially rival the likes of Codemaster's GRID.
Gallery:Need for Speed SHIFT

Developed by UK-based Slightly Mad Studios -- home to many of the folks who worked on the critically acclaimed GT Legends and GTR 2 -- the game is 95% pure racing simulation, with a bit of arcade feel thrown in so as not to totally alienate players who aren't actual race drivers. (Though EA Games Euro SVP, Patrick Soderlund, is intimately involved with its development -- and he races for real, having most recently placed fifth in the TOYO 24 Hours of Dubai endurance event.)

The game is 95% pure racing simulation, with a bit of arcade feel thrown in.
At first glance, the game reminded us of Forza 2 -- at least from its visual style (and we don't just mean the real cars on an actual track). NFS tried this route with its ProStreet installment, but the gameplay (and a whole lot more) just wasn't there.

Sitting down to play, we were already sold on the look; gorgeous highly detailed car models, tracks that have a sort of Sega arcade racer vibe to them, a rock-steady framerate. But what, we wondered, would help this game stand on its own? So far we can point to two things: the focus on the "driver experience" (more on that in a sec) and really good opponent A.I. (ditto).

As an advisor on the game, Soderlund says he's not just interested in how cool the cars look or how you can tune them; he told us he wants to make a racer that makes players feel like real race drivers. Neat idea, impressive in execution.

Like PGR and GRID, the game has a very detailed cockpit view. Working gauges, hands on the wheel -- the usual. There's an extra layer of pretty in the form of realtime reflections from within the car. For instance, you can see your driver model's movements in the driver's side window. Another neat touch: the driver actually grips the wheel more tightly at the appropriate moments. This level of detail is important because Soderlund and the dev team want this to be a racer that is, first and foremost, played from inside the car.

We noticed the windshield, while it will crack, doesn't place a sort of screen over the graphics, something that's caused us to opt for the third-person in many others racers. A small detail, but it's good to know the team is thinking of stuff like this. There's also a nice looking and helpful effect when driving very fast -- the dash and car interior begin to blur out so that your eyes focus only on the track.

The dev team wants this to be a racer that is best played from inside the car.
In an early -- but still extremely powerful -- Pagani Zonda, the sense of speed was pulse-quickening. That was combined with opponents who realistically fought for positions, nudged back and would even slip up under pressure, causing a wreck. This didn't only happen when we were "engaging" them; at one point, we came around a turn into a straight-away and narrowly missed a pileup that had occurred moments earlier out of our view.

Even in its early state, SHIFT feels really good. The cars seem to have appropriate weight and noticeable performance differences. There's a perceivable hint of assistance -- hence the dash of arcade-ness -- in the steering beyond the usual traction control and braking assists. We were told that the game will essentially have a driving model that eases new sim drivers into the concept and one for seasoned pros.

What can we say -- we were really impressed by what we played. The two tracks were well designed and looked great in various times of day and weather conditions, the cars handled solidly and the cockpit view was intense and immersive. We're still waiting to learn of a complete car lineup, track selection and, well ... a whole laundry list of gameplay details. But if the team continues down this road, racing buffs are looking at a very good year indeed.

Taken from Joystix

Sounds very very good!

Last edited:
nfs-shift-zonda_1-342009-1.jpg

nfs-shift-porsche_6-342009-8.jpg

nfs-shift-porsche_4-342009-4.jpg

nfs-shift-porsche_3-342009-5.jpg

nfs-shift-porsche_2-342009-7.jpg

nfs-shift-porsche_1-342009-6.jpg

nfs-shift-audi_4-342009-2.jpg

nfs-shift-audi_3-342009-3.jpg

shift_brandrelease_jan23.jpg

IGN have also got a preview of the title, here it is!

The Need for Speed franchise has been showing its age of late, displaying signs of senility as it erratically shifts genres and suffers multiple personality disorders. One year we're served an open world pursuit-based game, the next the action's confined to circuit racing, and every year the series gets further away from its initial position as the premier driving series. So how do you go about curing such an identity crisis? EA's answer is a little eccentric – you give each different strand its own game.

Bizarrely, from the initial evidence it's an approach that seems to have worked. EA is releasing four separate entries into the series this year alone and the first to break cover is Need for Speed Shift, the simulation-minded offshoot that's coming to Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC. Already it's looking like a remarkably assured effort, a game that can confidently pit itself against the likes of GRID and Project Gotham Racing in the race for virtual pole position.

Shift is one seriously pretty game.

Developers Slightly Mad Studios bring with them an in-depth understanding of realistic racing from its work on PC and in doing so removes some of the urban baggage that's bogged down recent Need for Speed games. The result is a game that seems set in the mould established by Codemasters's GRID, with the arcade heritage of Need for Speed offset handsomely by a consideration for real-life motorsport.

This new focus is reflected in the game's vehicle roster, still informed by the petrol-soaked dreams of Max Power readers but now presented with a new found verity. Six vehicles were to hand, with a Lotus Elise 111R, Shelby Terelingua and Audi RS4 pulled from the game's lower tier while a Corvette Z06, Porsche 911 GT2 and a Pagani Zonda F representing some of the meatier vehicles available. Across all the vehicles the handling's a neat mesh of arcade and simulation; Brands Hatch was one of the two courses on display and it's opening corner, Paddock Hill bend, is a viciously dipping right hander that can be taken flat chat in each of the cars we drove, a method that would result in an intimate encounter with the tyre wall if attempted in a game such as Race Pro. Nevertheless, there's a satisfying weight to each of the cars and the handling model still proves demanding when placed in relief with Need for Speed's typical approach, ensuring that the game feels superficially similar to GRID.

What's most impressive is that Need for Speed Shift's got the looks to match – if not better – the visually outstanding GRID. Using an engine that's a slight variation on the one that powered the studio's mysterious Ferrari project (and unfortunately Slightly Mad Studios weren't forthcoming on how Shift affects that particular title), it's got a gratifyingly muscular aesthetic, as well as a frame rate that never faltered throughout our extensive spell behind the wheel. Brands Hatch looked fine enough, although it's understandably hard to inject pizzazz into the droll suburban Kent landscape. The London street circuit is a much more spectacular backdrop, a fictional tour that takes in the Embankment and a squirt across Waterloo Bridge that shows off some dazzling lighting effects as the sunset drips an orange hue on the tarmac.

It's from the cockpit that the game really shines, however, with Slightly Mad Studios conjuring one of the most visceral sensations of speed we've witnessed in a game. Stick the throttle to the floor and the din of the engine becomes overbearing, all manner of post-processing effects creating an intimidating roar. The depth of field shifts as the car reaches top speed, the camera subtly moving back to mimic the driver's head being forced back by the velocity, and the hands on the in-game wheel visibly tighten - it's enough to rapidly accelerate your heart-rate.

Other views are available, but the in-car one's clearly the best.

This effect is extended to the crashes - should you have a collision the camera shakes violently with the impact, the screen blurs and in the aftermath it's possible to hear the driver's pounding heart. The result is dizzying, with the effect intended to instil a true fear of crashing - and it's a trick that really pays off. Tie in the aforementioned audio assault and some particularly violent force feedback and Need for Speed Shift makes for a truly sensational drive.

With the basics nailed it'll be interesting to see how the impressive driving model is delivered in the final game. Details on single-player, multiplayer or indeed anything beyond the hands-on weren't forthcoming, but if the imagination that's displayed on the track is matched off of it the game could be a standout package. With the likes of Forza 3, Gran Turismo 5 and Codemasters's Formula 1 game waiting in the wings, it's going to be a busy year for the racing genre – and Need for Speed Shift certainly has the credentials to hold its own in such esteemed company.

I doubt final graphics will look like that. As well it will be like GRID, and I hate grid. oi Pass for me.. Why can't need for speed go back to old roots? Best NFS game was Need 4 Speed (4th game) Then the PS2 hot pursuit came about which was decent too, and after that the TUNER versions kick in and destroy the NFS name. We want Sexy Super Sports Cars, no tuners, no racing.. NFS go back to its roots!

Every time I go to my father's place, we play a Need for Speed game... and it's always Need for Speed: High Stakes (a.k.a. Road Challenge). We haven't moved on. :D

I'll keep an open mind about NFS Shift. I hope it turns out to be worth it.

Reading those I felt like it will handle like grid and I agree. Grid's physics sucked. The cars were in limbo between simulation and arcade and that made them not feel like cars at all. I do wish nfs went back to its first 3 incarnations. They were great. The car roster of nfs 2 was my favourite. Classics like the mclaren f1, ford gt90, jaguar xj220, italdesign cala, nazca and schigera(spelling?). Even the ford indigo and lotus gt1 were fun though slower.

I doubt final graphics will look like that. As well it will be like GRID, and I hate grid. oi Pass for me.. Why can't need for speed go back to old roots? Best NFS game was Need 4 Speed (4th game) Then the PS2 hot pursuit came about which was decent too, and after that the TUNER versions kick in and destroy the NFS name. We want Sexy Super Sports Cars, no tuners, no racing.. NFS go back to its roots!

Don't be so pessimistic! I was doubtful when I read that NFS was heading towards the sim route (didn't they try that with ProStreet with devastating results?) As you have read, IGN and other have actually played the game already, so I'm guessing those are screenshots and not pre rendered. And NFS does seem to be going towards its routes and away from the arcade route this time with a new developer

i was really shocked when i saw those screen shots of those Porsches!! My first thought was. I'm going to buy that game the minute it gets out... but then reading all your comments, i suddenly got my doubts.
I have GRID on PS3 and the physics are really bothering me!

Like you all say, EA should go back to the time of NFS High Stakes or NFS PORSCHE (my personal Favorite!! and i still sometimes play it)

But lets see how this game will turn out

Chris

There is a youtube video of still from in game, and these shots I've posted have been taged as in game shots by Joystix, who having played it would be aware if they wern't. I too hate Grids handeling, it's a great game which is fataly flawed in that department but. there is this statement.....
We were told that the game will essentially have a driving model that eases new sim drivers into the concept and one for seasoned pros.
.....which with the fact that the Dev team are who they are that the game won't have Grids fatal handeling.

Let's see, the last 5 or so games I've bought from EA Games/EA Sports have been big disappointments, centralising mostly on the NFS series, so no, I don't think I will be buying this game. Maybe EA Sports could have some good games, but Tiger Woods games for examples have been worse and the lack of effort really shows in them.

I think I may really give this one a chance. The fact that you can build a race car from the road car (see the "stock" 997 GT2 & the yellow race one) is something I know a lot of people have wanted in games.

I will give this game a shot, it appears to be heading in a good direction though I am not sold on the lighting and effects they are going for.

Will there be a demo version on PSN?

Just quickly (because there is a lot of text up there :ouch:), this is the "simulation" one right? I read that they're making 3 NFS games this year, a sim, an arcade and a 3rd unconfirmed one.

PS- Is there a car list available yet? If there were Holdens in it, I might not be able to resist if the physics are at least "fun". (Unlike Pro Street which was horrible in every aspect).

Back