Need for speed gets "serious".....confirmed!

• Thread starter Hereward
  • 2,170 comments
Apparently that is the final graphics:
"I don't know if you saw the first screen shot, we were quite chuffed when people were going "that's blatantly a render, that's definitely a render, there's no way it's in game". It was like, well we know it is. None of our screen shots are edited in any way. If people out there think it's a render and we know it's in game, my boss was quite happy with that. That went down quite well! It's been really good."- Suzi Wallace, Slightly Mad Studios, Producer NFS: Shift.

Lol, what?

These people need glasses - the game looks poor, hence all the fake blur, the cars look decent, but the only stand out thing in all these screens are the high detailed cockpits. I hope the handling is up to scratch... BMW M3 Challenge was poor.

http://i40.tinypic.com/sw7dk1.jpg - Poor application of Photoshop's blur filter on an in-game screenshot.

Why are some people comparing Shift to Grid, the only similarity is in the graphics and presentation dpt. SMS/Blimey are responsible for the most impressive PC sims to date in the form of GTR2 and GT Legends.

You can be sure the driving model will be based on 100% real data, which will be tweaked for an arcade driving model (the games journalists played this) and a more demanding sim model. Grids physics were fundamentally unrealistic, they would need to start from scratch to give those cars a realistic feel.

I noted how impressed everyone is with Shift's engine sounds, a strong point of GTR2 and GT Legends, it's these touches that made SMS/Blimey sims stand out from the competition.

Lol, what?

These people need glasses - the game looks poor, hence all the fake blur, the cars look decent, but the only stand out thing in all these screens are the high detailed cockpits. I hope the handling is up to scratch... BMW M3 Challenge was poor.

http://i40.tinypic.com/sw7dk1.jpg - Poor application of Photoshop's blur filter on an in-game screenshot.

That area that is circled as "not blurred" sure looks blurred to me, just as the rest of the background.

I think the blur is to enthersize the sense of speed and the system there using to focus the screen further down the road the faster you go. usualy bluring like this is siply to hide issues with the graphics but from what theyve described there using it to give you a nore realistic feel.

I think the blur is to emphasise the sense of speed and the system they're using to focus the screen further down the road the faster you go.

Usually, blurring like this is simply to hide issues with the graphics, but from what they've described, they're using it to give you a more realistic feel.

I don't think that the blurring in that picture is to do with placing the focus further down the road, as it's not taken from the cockpit view.

I have to agree that the windscreen problems aren't that apparent to me, it just looks like the car is in focus and the background is blurred, which is fair enough?

The area marked WTF is certainly pretty odd though...

Lol, what?

It looks pretty good for a racing game that's running at 60fps. If you look at Race Pro which despite the poor graphics run a measely 30fps:

3334029622_917417dd5b_o.jpg

Besides I think you took the worst screenshot to make you point which isn't fair since the rest look mighty fine to me. As to the handling: GTR, GTR2 and GT Legends are no slouch.

As long as the cars don't slide like the ones in Grid did, I'll probably be fine with this. I may rent it first based on reviews to check it out, though.

I think Race pro is a good example to bring in at this point. The graphics on shift look good, in fact they look absoloutly stunning when compared to race pro! But even though race pro is prety much a lame horse in the looks department it is a fantastic race experience. And if we compare Grid's phyisics and race experience with that of, well, F1CE, GT5p, Race pro, Forza 2 and Ferrari challenge we can certainly see that amazeing graphics and unbeleivable crash physics don't mean you've got a top racer on your hands. I really think judgeing a game on the strengh of half a dozen screen shots is a little odd. Until we can see some footage of in game races I think the real telling info is the dev teams previous titles and there little titbits of info in interviews (once you peel away the usual PR stuff LOL)
Personaly as long as EA let the dev guys do what there good at and not try and make them create another NFS arcade racer then all should be good. To this point theres some promising sounds about the game engine which say to me that EA are letting the team go for it, in which case we should have Race Pro with the visuals to match the driving experience!

Last edited:
Just found this hands on report from CVG, of all the stuff I've read this is most promising in regards the "simulation" bias of the game, I've highlighted some interestting parts!

After two less-than-stellar instalments (ProStreet: a bit dull, Undercover: a bit broken) it's time for the Need for Speed series to make a change. And changed it has.

A shift in developer and a shift in focus has ensured that the aptly titled NFS: Shift is the most promising instalment in EA's racing series for almost as long as we can remember.

Veteran race sim studio Slightly Mad (which houses the core team behind the excellent GTR games - though SimBin disagree) is at the helm, which should mean Shift is a more realistic, all-round polished package.

With simulation in its blood then Shift expectedly sports all the traits of a Gran Turismo-style driving simulator. Picking up the pad and jumping into as race around a very PGR-style London track reveals a tighter, more demanding driving dynamic with red and green racing lines guiding us around the course with all the safety and efficiency of a trained F1 driver. And there are no spinners on the cars, either.

Virtual Zonda Fs terrorise the track with engine roars recorded from their real-life counterparts, with handling grounded in reality. Make the slightest mistake while and your motor veers disastrously off course. A cheeky bump from a rival can also end your race early.

Even at this early stage (the game's only been in development for a year - the technology for longer) Shift is the most technically impressive Need for Speed yet.

Car models, track sides and vehicle interiors are awash with levels of detail most genre entries simply can't afford. Shift's even pushing out some visual techniques such as detailed soft shadows, full-screen anti-aliasing and a rock-solid framerate.

Over 70 cars are promised including high-tuned and exotic super cars, while tracks include both real-world and fictional locales.

Slightly Mad's proprietary engine's pushing a detailed physics system, full vehicle damage and advanced AI that dishes out personality traits to AI drivers, who are said to be capable of developing grudges against you.

But by far the most definitive feature of Shift is found during its in-car view. Unlike the comparatively sterile cockpit of Forza, Shift attempts to emulate the effects of g-force and vision blur.

As your motor accelerates the game recreates the feel of g-force by subtly tilting the camera backwards. Slam on the anchors and your camera 'head' will jolt forward. It's a simple but effective way to further immerse you in the experience. At speed the interior starts to blur out, as your focus sharpens on the road ahead.

It also looks like the dev is trying to outdo Codemasters in the damage stakes too. Slightly Mad says it's spent a stupid amount of time trying to emulate these realistically and, frankly, it shows.

Steamroll your supercar into the barriers and you'll be rewarded (or punished) with a violent, head-snapping crash. Veering too close to another car will send your vision disco dancing with the impact, while a not-so-subtle motion blur effect simulates the feeling of being "dazed and confused" by a high-speed impact. It's like having a flashbang go off in your helmet.

But not everyone enjoys the interior view so in third-person and bumper cam views g-force and collision cues are applied to the HUD.

The technology behind this new Need for Speed was never in question though. It'll be interesting to see if the London studio can deliver solid online modes and plenty of track variety, areas many would say Need for Speed has been lacking in the past few versions.

As long as the cars don't slide like the ones in Grid did, I'll probably be fine with this. I may rent it first based on reviews to check it out, though.

Yeah, I will probably do the same.. GameFly ftw. :sly:

So the competitors declared war on Gran Turismo. I just hope some nice games spawn from it. :)

Meh, I don't think GT is worried by NFS :sly:, but this could be a fun game for sure by how it's sounding now.👍 Makes me wonder, if you can turn modern cars into race cars, what can you do with the classics......

It looks pretty good for a racing game that's running at 60fps. If you look at Race Pro which despite the poor graphics run a measely 30fps:

3334029622_917417dd5b_o.jpg

Besides I think you took the worst screenshot to make you point which isn't fair since the rest look mighty fine to me. As to the handling: GTR, GTR2 and GT Legends are no slouch.

LMAO is that a nintendo 64 game?

maybe im just used to playing 1080p @ 60fps just like in GT5P.

I think you guys are missing the point. myke6699 is trying to illustrate that the screenshots for NFS:Shift, which some have criticized as being poor, are much higher quality that a screen shot pulled out of Race Pro.

Correct jjaisl, and although poor graphics the game is very good. Don't judge a book by it's cover and all that.

For the most part, I'm excited about the game. I posted a big thing in the 360 thread, not realizing that there is an NFS thing here in the PS2 deal. Hmmm.

Anyway, the main yardstick for this game will ultimately be GRID for me, as it is the racing game that I've enjoyed most since PGR2. In general, I believe that if the NFS folks can benchmark PGR4 and GRID well enough (ie, the simulation style, but still relatively "arcady" physics, beautiful graphics, etc), they should have a good game on their hands. However, my primary concern will be over how they push it, and if they make you follow some idiotic story in the game. I really don't feel like doing that again. The post-underground franchise has really lost its way, hopefully this can turn things around.

Considering it was their first console sim (right?), I think it's acceptable in terms of graphics.

http://www.autosimsport.net/index2/index.php

New issue with some very interesting new info on what the physics engine may be. Seems that Eero is indeed still onboard with that department which frankly is a reason to atleast pay attention to SHIFT.

Yes this is still an NFS game and Ian Bell goes on in a hypish way, but potential at very least is there for something pretty good.

My thoughts exactly on the NFS series Hereward, however this is the same team that basically brought us GTR/GTR2/GTL and Eero Piitulainen with Richard Burns Rally and the never completed Driver's Republic: these are SIM guys taking over this series. I have no disillusionment that SHIFT will be a hardcore sim in the way they plan to present it only that the driving model will probably surpass games like racepro or GTR evo and such which would be light years ahead for some lowly NFS game on a console.:)

Sorry the LoL Kat was aimed at Paulie LOL As I've said in earler posts on this thread I'm hopeful for this one, The NFS franchise has all but died so it seems they've gone back to NFS roots and jumped on the sim bandwagon to cash in on the GT5 fever which will be building nicely by the time this title hits a couple of months before GT5, from interviews, the dev team had the engine already there, so there simply bolting on the cars and tracks EA have licenses for and using all the graphics tricks EA have been developing. If you look at Pro racer you'll see a different story, the engines there but the cars and graphics aren't. I'm expecting / hopeing for racer pro but with the benerfits of EA's wallet and dev tols to give it the polish racer pro hasn't got.

And as if by magic....

Breaking news

EA racer Need for Speed Shift, the latest entry in the Need for Speed series, will be released on September 17 and September 22 in the US.

Need for Speed: Shift is a first person racing simulation, featuring realistic handling and physics for some of the world's top racing vehicles. This title is part of EA's "resetting" of the franchise.

The multi-platform title will be available on the PS3, PSP, Xbox 360 and PC.

OH yeah and a video.........Yes In game footage!
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=211329

Now you'll notice theres a "Actual game footage" label on all of that footage, you get a better idea of there "driver focus" system adding to the experience of speed and collisions but more importantly from these little glimpses the physics seem to be there!, Theres a big understeer moment, some oversteer and corective steering, more telling is the big tank slaper after catching the audi on it's rear quater.......I'm not seeing a car moveing round a central pivot or "pole"

Last edited:
Nice, thanks for the info and teaser. Yeah I think the first NFS was my first driving game and I loved how you couldn't just keep the throttle mashed through the corners. You had to use throttle and brake control and keeping big speeds on narrow roads was a challange. Pretty realistic for the time. I'm not really concerned if we get wheel support and such, just looking forward to a solid/relatively realistic "game" which I can kick back with the gamepad like the NFS days of old!

I think this will have full wheel suport and I expect there aiming at Grid but with realistic physics which is more than enough!

Im not impressed by the trailer. I'm not sure what part of the game they are trying to sell in it. It moves too fast to be sim even if its a camera trick. similar to Grid, every thing just moves too fast.

Think it's going for the wow effect, big crashes, tyre smoke the full monty....you do have to turn the volume off and pause and replay the actual clips which only actualy last a few seconds.It's actualy been edited to portray speed....a little like this one!

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back