Need For Speed Heat - General Discussion

• Thread starter FT-1
  • 2,583 comments
I seem to be the only human being who liked MW 2012 around here :lol: In fact I think B2D has been tweaked to be even better than HP 2010 in that game. In HP 2010 you need to tap the handbrake to initiate, and even then sometimes the car would not do it and you just end up with understeer. In MW 2012 it's closer to Burnout Paradise mechanic where you just tap the brake and it works everytime. In the tight city areas, you need to switch to grip driving, slow in fast out, and have a good understanding of racing lines (and the car still maintains good grip and speed, unlike NFS 2015 where it's understeer country if you're not drifting). Map design is great, though I wished it was bigger but obviously they didn't have Paradise's dev time. Graphics are great with lots of details in the cars and environment. Unlocking cars and upgrades can be a chore online but I had so much fun it didn't matter really. I think a lot of people have issue because they expected it to be a MW sequel, when it's basically Paradise with real cars + cops. Criterion's fault for cashing in on the name really. I went in not expecting an MW game (partly because I didn't play the original), and so didn't have any preconceived notions of how the game should be.

I seem to be the only human being who liked MW 2012 around here :lol: In fact I think B2D has been tweaked to be even better than HP 2010 in that game. In HP 2010 you need to tap the handbrake to initiate, and even then sometimes the car would not do it and you just end up with understeer. In MW 2012 it's closer to Burnout Paradise mechanic where you just tap the brake and it works everytime. In the tight city areas, you need to switch to grip driving, slow in fast out, and have a good understanding of racing lines (and the car still maintains good grip and speed, unlike NFS 2015 where it's understeer country if you're not drifting). Map design is great, though I wished it was bigger but obviously they didn't have Paradise's dev time. Graphics are great with lots of details in the cars and environment. Unlocking cars and upgrades can be a chore online but I had so much fun it didn't matter really. I think a lot of people have issue because they expected it to be a MW sequel, when it's basically Paradise with real cars + cops. Criterion's fault for cashing in on the name really. I went in not expecting an MW game (partly because I didn't play the original), and so didn't have any preconceived notions of how the game should be.
MW 2005 is my favorite NFS game. Played it to death as a kid, still play it occasionally today.

MW 2012 is my second favorite NFS game. The game is just incredibly fast paced, non stop ridiculous nonsense. I love it :lol:

In HP 2010 you need to tap the handbrake to initiate
Except you don't. That's literally the slowest way to initiate a drift in that game.

Brake to drift is still king, although you can opt to releasing and reapplying the gas to initiate a drifting. Not sure how much of a difference there is between those two methods but both are much more effective than using the handbrake.

In the tight city areas, you need to switch to grip driving, slow in fast out, and have a good understanding of racing lines
Nope. Regular grip driving is worse in the city areas still. The only thing that really changes in the city is having to be more aware of your braking.

Map design is great.
Not sure if you're talking about scenery or the actual map layout but the latter was kinda crap, particularly with jump placement. The ideas are there but the execution isn't.

Except you don't. That's literally the slowest way to initiate a drift in that game.

Brake to drift is still king, although you can opt to releasing and reapplying the gas to initiate a drifting. Not sure how much of a difference there is between those two methods but both are much more effective than using the handbrake.

Nope. Regular grip driving is worse in the city areas still. The only thing that really changes in the city is having to be more aware of your braking.

Not sure if you're talking about scenery or the actual map layout but the latter was kinda crap, particularly with jump placement. The ideas are there but the execution isn't.

Well in general you have 3 ways to initiate B2D: release gas, tap brake, tap handbrake (with increasing speed loss and increasing probability of initiating a drift, in that order). I just can't initiate consistently just by releasing gas or tapping brake, so probably it's just my playstyle.

Same with MW 2012, probably it's just my playstyle suiting that game more than others. I once beat a Venom with the DB5 on a tight sprint race, so I'm confident I know how to drive in that game.

Regarding the map, it's both. Scenery is gorgeous and layout is also interesting. Despite being a "city" map, most roads and turns don't feel cookie cutter 90 degree bends like in NFS 2015. They feel organic, and can still provide good driving enjoyment when turned into a closed loop circuit. Not sure what's crap about jump placements. Some tracks need you to slow down a bit otherwise you overshoot but that's part of the challenge.

Not sure what's crap about jump placements.
A lot of them kinda launch you into buildings or other obstructions if you're going too fast/not fast enough or don't hit the ramp at a certain angle. Burnout Paradise was much more coherent and forgiving. That game almost never launched you into anything that would cause you to crash (you can sometimes get launched out of the map if you take the jump at an extreme angle but even this was pretty rare).

On the otherhand, jumps in MW12 are suffering. There's just so much stuff to smack into mid-air. Having to slow down prior to a ramp or taking a very specific angle with almost no margin of error to avoid wrecking just isn't fun at all.

seem to be the only human being who liked MW 2012 around here
Nope, imo, its best openworld game in series - best multiplayer, best chases, best handling and leveldesign. With inclusion of Rivals mode from NFS:Rivals and extending of car list it could be perfect NFS even by modern standards.

AFAIK, its one of the best sellers in series.

Summary of that article:

"We're making a new game, but we aren't telling you anything about it yet. Thanks for reading!'

Yup, but it's good to know they're working on it and that they're aiming to have it out this year.
Personally though I won't be touching this one until I've seen multiple people playing it. After the last 2 games I don't trust them not to introduce some new mechanic that makes the game just that bit worse.

Now here's the real problem, they aren't gonna show it at E3, that already isn't a good sign to me

They're probably waiting until they're a bit further along with levels of polish to show it off given how people reacted to the last 2 titles!

Sooo.. if the UtH named "Paying it Back" foreshadowed the name "Payback", surely "Turning up the Heat" foreshadows the next game reviving Hot Pursuit? Which.. I've got mixed feelings about.

Also:

And while we’ve had some great memories over those twenty-five years, we’re not here to look back and reminisce. We’ve got our eyes set firmly on the future.

..c'mon now, we all know that's not true :lol:

Also also:

Because traditions are all well and good, but they can also be broken, and new ones forged. Just because we’ve done something one way for the last few years, doesn’t mean we should continue to do so.

Man, this post is just the gift that keeps on giving! The irony!

Sooo.. if the UtH named "Paying it Back" foreshadowed the name "Payback", surely "Turning up the Heat" foreshadows the next game reviving Hot Pursuit? Which.. I've got mixed feelings about.

Also:

..c'mon now, we all know that's not true :lol:

Also also:

Man, this post is just the gift that keeps on giving! The irony!

This entire post felt like an ironic poem with absolutely zero details

EA must have seen what the reaction to the new Call of Duty title was like, surely they won't make the same mistake? :lol: If the next game is going for the 2015 vibe, I'd like to vote for Need For Speed: Turnt up! (with the obligatory Monster Energy product placement on the box art.)

The post doesn't signify anything we don't know already. Slightly gutted that we won't be seeing anything at E3, but I'm intrigued to know when EA reckon the next best opportunity to unveil the game is.

EA must have seen what the reaction to the new Call of Duty title was like, surely they won't make the same mistake? :lol: If the next game is going for the 2015 vibe, I'd like to vote for Need For Speed: Turnt up! (with the obligatory Monster Energy product placement on the box art.)

The post doesn't signify anything we don't know already. Slightly gutted that we won't be seeing anything at E3, but I'm intrigued to know when EA reckon the next best opportunity to unveil the game is.

Likely Gamescom in Cologne from August 20th-24th judging by the wording here: "the next time we talk, we’ll be packing our bags and heading south for the full unveiling"

They are based in Sweden, Germany is directly south of them.

Well that was a boring annoucement. Could've gave us a cryptic screenshot or something at least.

Sooo.. if the UtH named "Paying it Back" foreshadowed the name "Payback", surely "Turning up the Heat" foreshadows the next game reviving Hot Pursuit?
Not necessarily. At most it's alluding to the role of cops in the game.

Either that, or the protagonist of the next game is played by Robert De Niro.

Last edited:
"Hey everyone! We're working on a smoking new NFS! We are trying our best NOT to look at the past and give you tons of words that make no sense! Also we're not gonna be at E3. Have yourself a wonderful day and see you in 10 months!"

Is weird that they are delaying the announcement but seem to be on track for the similar release date for previous games.

Is weird that they are delaying the announcement but seem to be on track for the similar release date for previous games.

I think they're playing it a bit more safe with this announcement after the previous 2 titles have promised so much and then launched with plenty of complaints

I think they're playing it a bit more safe with this announcement after the previous 2 titles have promised so much and then launched with plenty of complaints

I don’t think the complaints is going to stop or reduce whether they announce it now or later if the game is still launched at a similar state to the previous 2 games.

Also I’m expecting similar state for it, it is still the same 2 year cycle game and a similar launch schedule.

Demo development will split resources, announcement at Gamescom will be smarter move. Currently it should be in alpha stage, but in August it will in beta and production costs for demo will be much smaller

Demo development will split resources, announcement at Gamescom will be smarter move. Currently it should be in alpha stage, but in August it will in beta and production costs for demo will be much smaller

They are still making 1 demo for the conventions, I don't remember they have a brand new showcase demo for the Gamescom last time. Didn't they have the same heist chase for E3 and Gamescom last time? I don't think the cost of it will change much whether they have it prepared for E3 or Gamescom.

New Under The Hood is up.

Well, that was a wall of text of absolutely nothing. I'm hoping for the best but my expectation for the reveal at Gamescom is as low as it can possibly get.

Last edited:
I don’t think the complaints is going to stop or reduce whether they announce it now or later if the game is still launched at a similar state to the previous 2 games.

Also I’m expecting similar state for it, it is still the same 2 year cycle game and a similar launch schedule.

Revealing the game closer to release should mean it's more polished and has less bugs present, so overall reception should be more positive at that point. In theory. Who knows what will happen in reality given their previous few releases....

They are still making 1 demo for the conventions, I don't remember they have a brand new showcase demo for the Gamescom last time. Didn't they have the same heist chase for E3 and Gamescom last time? I don't think the cost of it will change much whether they have it prepared for E3 or Gamescom.
My point is that making demo from alpha build and beta build aren't the same. Amount of additional polish that alpha build required is enormous

Given EA's transition to providing Games as a Service, I wouldn't be surprised if the Alpha Build ends up in the hands of Day One consumers. :sly:

If they want something that will give the franchise long term value they should head towards a layout similar to Forza Horizon just with Cops, the handling of the cars need a big upgrade though, Payback was horrific.

They seem weirdly quiet about a game that comes out in a couple months, will they announce it a week before release or something. Sales have been declining for the last few games, and without E3 exposure I'm not sure anyone will care for the reveal, especially the casual audience.

Back