Need For Speed Heat - General Discussion

• Thread starter FT-1
  • 2,583 comments
Looks like we have a potential leak on our hands

https://www.gameware.at/info/space/Need+for+Speed+Heat+(AT-PEGI)?emphasize=P4-NESP19

Incase the contents above get removed, here is what was showing
Screen Shot 2019-07-30 at 10.01.16.png

Bear in mind the box art is very much a placeholder, but if you predicted the name to include Heat, there is a high chance you guessed correctly.

if you predicted the name to include Heat, there is a high chance you guessed correctly.

..yes and no. There are a few things to consider.

For starters, that retailer has very little credibility - see their listings for games like Battlefield: Bad Company 3 (which, according to the equivalent Reddit post, has been in their catalogue for over a year) and GTA VI - both games that, at best, come from the rumor mill with no official word to back them up. Not unlike the title of the next NFS.

Secondly, as far as I know, this is the only "leak" thus far, and as we've just discussed, these people are not the best source out there, and neither is the obligatory IGN article on this (yes, that's a thing already). Tag me when Amazon has a listing. *Then* we can start discussing if there really is something to it.

Thirdly - and this is more of a nitpick but this is my post on the internet I can do what I want - "Need for Speed: Heat"? Not only does it have potential as a say-this-fast-ten-times thing, but unless it's a really clever acronym (and we all know Ghosts track record of "clever" things, don't we?), this might just be the least inspiring name in franchise history - yes, more so than Carbon.

The one tiny shred of credibility this has is that it has now seemingly vanished from the store. If this is peoples' first time in the Silly Season, this doesn't make much sense, but history tells us that leaks that turn out correct in the end are removed rather quickly - you know, NDAs and stuff. Before everyone takes that entire thing out of context as proof that this is "100% definitely real", that's not to say that the same can't happen to false leaks - remember all the GT7 ones that was there one day and gone the next?

TL;DR hold your chickens and don't count your horses just yet. Let's not forget that online marketplaces in particular has the same sort of knack for preorders as EA has for sUrPrIsE mEcHaNiCs.

Looks like a P1 GTR on the (likely a mock-up or fan-created) cover. I would've thought that they'd use something a little newer, but then again, if a P1 GTR is on the final artwork, it could be a major character's car, like how Payback featured that Skyline GT-R R34. But at the same time, I'd hope that the artwork in itself has some sort of visual message or hint as to what makes it mechanically special. I think for example, NFS Payback had all three protags' cars on the cover (or maybe it was just a piece of key artwork) demonstrating the various builds one could have in the game. Or how Rivals' cover had police lights, demonstrating the emphasis on police chases. (See also: NFS HP2010's cover with the orange Zonda Cinque and the police Reventon.)

It's official; Need For Speed 2019 will make its debut at Gamescom. The way it has been phrased in the earnings report could indicate some teasers will be shown before the event itself.

I have just one wish. Dont even care about the topic of the game: PLEASE DONT BE GHOST.

The only thing I could find is "the next time we talk we'll be heading south" etc.

The only thing I could find is "the next time we talk we'll be heading south" etc.

Ghost are based in Sweden, Germany is south of them so they'll be heading south to Gamescom. That's the common theory as to the explanation of that line, anyway.

..so there has been a bit of a development on the name front over the past few days. Apparently, HEAT might just be an acronym. It's not *really* a clever one as it's just lifted from the real world, and really it just raises more questions about why the game's supposedly named as it is, but hey, one small step at a time.

It turns out HEAT is an acronym for Highway Enforcement of Aggressive Traffic, which - as far as I have been able to research - is a special police task force designed to stop people going at ridiculous speeds on major roads and look a little bit flashier while doing so.

Now, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel comfortable in saying that we have seen (and even played as) policemanofficers like this in previous NFS games, and that most of these titles shared arguably the most powerful and interesting subtitle in the entire franchise. I'll give you a hint and say this subtitle also involves another word for warmth.

So again, given what little we know about 2019 and what we can deduce from the above revelation, I don't really see why "Heat" is a better or more likely name than that other title, especially if they want it to sell in droves - hello again, little bird singing about the "restructuring" of Ghost and EA getting impatient with them.

All of this being said, however, this combined with that famous we-think-2015-is-a-good-example-of-an-NFS-game quote has just given me an extremely out-of-left-field thought, which.. if that's the route they're going down, that is definitely the ballsiest move in franchise history. Which, unfortunately, means it definitely won't happen. What a shame.

I don't get why they took the franchise from EA Canada, and I don't get why later they shut down Black Box.

Both studios did a terrific job with the franchise. But I guess the mind of such a huge company is totally disconnected from the mind of the user regarding what's best.

I wouldn't be trusting Reddit's speculation at the moment.

..to be fair to myself, GTP *did* do an entire article based entirely around the premise of an online storefront making a preorder listing for a game using a name provided by the "community". I'd like to think me poking fun at this whole thing isn't the worst that's happened.

That being said, the speculation isn't entirely unfounded. Android Wilson did say NFS 2019 was returning to a cops-and-racers theme, HEAT is an anti-speeding police unit.. It's not the best piece of Reddit speculation the world's ever seen, no, but I've also seen worse - much worse - even on GTP. Is that Silverstone I see over there?

The real world connections with "HEAT" are most likely coincidental.

With that said, based on a number of things I've heard, that can very well be the actual title of the game.

I don't get why they took the franchise from EA Canada, and I don't get why later they shut down Black Box.

Both studios did a terrific job with the franchise. But I guess the mind of such a huge company is totally disconnected from the mind of the user regarding what's best.
EA's MO is to buy a studio, then kill it after it no longer serves it's purpose. EA's only interested in making every cent available, both EA Canada and Black Box fell off their pace after they hit peaks. The only reason I can think of why Ghost is still running it is that they are the cheapest available option.

Having taken a look at the countdown timer on the website, I believe it runs out at 15:00 BST on August 14th. Whether the teaser will drop that instant or whether it’ll take a bit more time to release, I do not know.

Welp, time to stay off the entirety of the internet for the next two days.

Also time to not think of anything remotely entertaining for the next three days on the off chance it turns out to be more like the game I kinda hope it is and semi-speculated it to be (based on the whole 2015-is-more-NFS-than-Payback which I'm presuming is because of that whole you're-part-of-a-living-world-full-of-"interesting-characters" thing + comments on the return of cops versus racers + the potentially-coincidental HEAT acronym + the bit where NFS protagonists over the years have been harming and potentially killing cops and civillians with little regard or consequence outside of about three cutscenes in Rivals. Please tell me I'm not the only one seeing this and thinking that'd be an interesting premise. Oh, and if you're worried about that whole not-enough-Hondas-with-wings (interesting note: I have yet to be called out on that stereotyping), you clearly haven't played Undercover. It's been done before, which puts it right up Ghosts alley of being inventive. Honestly, the more I think about it, the more sense it makes. Also this parentheses has gone on for long enough by now) and less like the game *that* crowd wants. I wouldn't want to be in that situation and not be able to enjoy it to the fullest.

The irony being that a game like that could feature that most wanted Cross (LAUGH GOD DAMN IT I MADE A TWO-IN-ONE REFERENCE TO A 15 YEARS OLD GAME OH MY GOD I'M CLEVER *SELF FIVE*) cameo and it wouldn't be complete 🤬 by default. It'd still be a cheap trick that adds nothing to game except some "only true NFS fans know" BS, but at least it'd be a cheap trick that makes sense.

How long until the name doesn't have any impact on sells and they kill the saga? Is the developer of Big Rigs Over the road racing available?

Payback was a small step in the right direction (minus loot boxes). Yes I'm still not a huge fan of the burnout style drift physics, but at least the world was built around the physics unlike 2015. I didn't get very far in 2015 before nearly throwing my copy at a wall. They're running out of chances to redeem themselves. I might give this game a try if it's a part of Game Pass, but other than that I'm on the fence about it, and that's a fence that's about to collapse.

I do wonder how they'll deal with the next generation release which is highly likely to be 2020. Perhaps 2019 could receive a remaster the following year?

They initially said a new NFS in 2019 but now they say before March 2020. So I'm guessing it'll be a split title like Carbon (PS2/PS3) or Rivals (PS3/PS4). The way NFS is going, this will be the best NFS on PS5. Get it early!!

I have zero hope for NFS any more after need for speed carbon, the last GOOD nfs game IMHO. New form HP 2010 was a fun game, but it wasn't a "nfs" game. If it's using the horrible Frostbite engine again (which does nothing, i repeat NOTHING good for a racing game) i'll pass immediately...if it has...surprise mechanics in it, i'll pass, if it has the same BORING line up of tuners, muscle and exotics it's had for the last 9 years, I'll also pass.

I'm not expecting a forza horizon, or a "the crew" type of game, I just want something thematically accurate. Imagine if it was a period game set in the late 90s/early 00s with current generation graphics physics and sound...I mean, imagine if it was basically Forza Horizon 3/4 set in the early 2000s with all the cars, all the body kits, all the wild over the top police chases and fart cannon corsa b, honda civic and supra exhausts popping and chirping away with the awesome power of modern granular synthesis and advanced fmod sound engines? I suppose I'll keep on dreaming...

Back