Need For Speed Heat - General Discussion

• Thread starter FT-1
  • 2,583 comments
Horrible Frostbite Engine ? You should take a look in the NFS Screenshot Threads. I love how 2015 and Payback look and i love to enjoy the cars i built in a good looking environment đź‘Ť

Last edited:
Just curious how much Porsche will be there, interesting to see how end of the deal will turn out for NFS. Anyway, hopes for a good game for me are long gone, if it doesn't have semi-simulator physics and arcade style of game - pass.

Rumors continue to suggest a return to form for NFS, in the sense of focusing on the thrilling cops-versus-racers dynamic that dominated earlier games. With the series itself celebrating its 25th anniversary this year, this wouldn’t surprise us.
D8nPGsQUcAAVIIG.jpg:large

Horrible Frostbite Engine ? You should take a look in the NFS Screenshot Threads. I love how 2015 and Payback look and i love to enjoy the cars i built in a good looking environment đź‘Ť

Absolutely, the Frostbite engine has provided us with some highly commendable visuals. For Need For Speed 2015, I thought they captured the illicit, illegal street racing vibe perfectly with the dark, deserted and gritty aesthetic.

While Payback has sharper graphics and much higher overall detail, it was sorely lacking the memorable and distinctive persona its predecessor had. I hope 2019 reverts back to the Rivals/2015 look, even if that means turning down the brightness and making everything wet.

For me, the REAL NFS games were NFS 1994-2002. In other words, everything before Underground. Had great looking cockpit views, exotic cars, police chases etc. Once the ricer scene came to the fore, NFS was dead to me. Slightly rekindled the magic in Shift and Shift 2. Everything else, yawnfest.

So here's an interesting development:

They've removed all content from the official NFS YouTube and various other social media.

Am I clear to call this the rebooted reboot of a rebooted reboot yet?
Just a heads-up, none of YT videos have been actually deleted, they are currently all marked unlisted. Using NFS Rivals trailer for example:

Attachments

• upload_2019-8-13_3-29-1.png
    upload_2019-8-13_3-29-1.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 28
I don't get how any justification can be found for the recent Need for Speed games having Burnout physics. When the world is built around them it's fine (HP2010, Rivals, Payback). What is so hard about going back to the older times? There's a reason most of us revisit the Black Box era games (myself included). For most of us, those were the highest times for the series. Heck, I even enjoyed Pro Street. Burnout physics should stay in Burnout, and those crummy thumb-drift-style games on phones. Give the fans what they want. I know I'm not speaking for everybody, but I know that I'm speaking for the majority.

If it's using the horrible Frostbite engine again (which does nothing, i repeat NOTHING good for a racing game) i'll pass immediately.

..I'm going to play the devil's advocate for a second here and say that the game engine isn't what's been making poor design choices for the last few years. It's mostly just coincidence that this engine happened to be subjected to this many games of.. questionable quality. Let's put it like that, shall we?

Also:

all the cars, all the body kits, all the wild over the top police chases and fart cannon corsa b, honda civic and supra exhausts popping and chirping away with the awesome power of modern granular synthesis and advanced fmod sound engines?

..I believe what you're looking for, good sir, is called "NFS Carbon modded to within an inch of your PC actually catching fire". Which, if that's the route you want to take, power to you. I just don't see any sort of point whatsoever in making an NFS game set in the past for no other reason than "but I can finally make period-correct modifications and not be judged!!!1!". Which makes no sense, given that - as much as you'd want that to be the case sometimes - vehicle modifications don't just suddenly cease to have existed when outside a certain time period.

The whole set-a-game-in-the-past thing worked for GTA because it explored basically all of the subcultures present at any given time and dealt with the subjects of the time. It parodied the 🤬 out of them, too.

With that in mind, here's an idea for NFS I just had:

At the height of the muscle era, you're running with one of the big crews in town. We take a leaf out of The Big Book Of Many Clichés and you end up spending time in prison. When you're out again, a surprise oil crisis has hit, and the streets are now flooded with imports from Europe and Japan. So you start racing people to find out what exactly happened while you were inside. Slowly, but steadily, it becomes apparent to the player that this is actually supposed to represent Detroit in 1973 (though not necessarily set in 1973 because something something Honda Civic) and deals with the subject of how we as people dislike change but have to keep going or something like that.

This is also genius because the oil crisis is the perfect excuse for why things are suddenly stupid expensive and the payout is whack so you better buy into that predatory monetization you just know is going to be there.

Just a heads-up, none of YT videos have been actually deleted, they are currently all marked unlisted.

Alright then, "they've been delisted so it appears as if they've been deleted to symbolise a completely fresh start aka it's another reboot which means I'm right regardless of how you want to put it". It's basically the same thing, though.

I'm hoping for a reboot personally. Maybe a semi-reboot that takes the series back to post-Carbon times, like right after you take down Darius. I'd love to see classic characters like Sergeant Cross return as well.

I'm hoping for a reboot personally. Maybe a semi-reboot that takes the series back to post-Carbon times, like right after you take down Darius. I'd love to see classic characters like Sergeant Cross return as well.

Don't expect any old characters returning, especially after this snippet from the last Under The Hood entry:

And while we’ve had some great memories over those twenty-five years, we’re not here to look back and reminisce. We’ve got our eyes set firmly on the future.

I mean sure, there may be some influences from past games in the main premise of the game, but it certainly sounds like any fanservice, particularly with past characters and hero cars, has been ruled out.

Welp, even if it is a clean slate, it better be a slate worth building on. I'm hoping we'll finally get a true successor to the old Black Box games. Yes I know the new Need for Speed's are visually very pretty, but what's the point of having a beautiful-looking game if you can't get invested in it thanks to weird physics?

I own both NFS 2015 (barely played it) and Payback (finished it), but IMO the handling of these games is something I could never really get into. It’s okay at best and horrible at many other circumstances. The single player story of Payback is also so friggin cheesy it even feels like an embarrassment to play. Payback does have some decent visuals at times, assembling the derelict cars was fun and the car customisation is great, but the racing is really sub-par IMO. And then there is the absence of Ferrari... that’s like not having Toyota in Forza Horizon but only 10 times worse.

From all the arcade-ish racing games I currently own on my X1X and PS4 Pro I would rate them like this:
1) Forza Horizon series
2) Forza Motorsport series
3) DiRT series
4) The Crew series
5) GT Sport
6) NFS series
7) F1 series (I just can’t seem to get into it, but I believe it deserves a lot higher spot)

Upcoming racing games I ordered for this year are Wreckfest and GRID, I honestly don’t feel a need for another NFS game, not because I don’t like the handling to begin with, and certainly not because it’s from EA. But we’ll see where it goes. Who knows if it would get a lot of positive reviews I might have a look at it.

I'm a bit surprised at the demand for a Black Box successor. They had a hard time building successors to their own NFS titles as The Run, Undercover, ProStreet, and Carbon were not exactly praised like Hot Pursuit II or Underground I & II.

It's almost funny to see them touted as the "highest times" for the series. When Undercover was released, NFS was arguably in its darkest times.

Last edited:
I own both NFS 2015 (barely played it) and Payback (finished it), but IMO the handling of these games is something I could never really get into. It’s okay at best and horrible at many other circumstances. The single player story of Payback is also so friggin cheesy it even feels like an embarrassment to play. Payback does have some decent visuals at times, assembling the derelict cars was fun and the car customisation is great, but the racing is really sub-par IMO. And then there is the absence of Ferrari... that’s like not having Toyota in Forza Horizon but only 10 times worse.

From all the arcade-ish racing games I currently own on my X1X and PS4 Pro I would rate them like this:
1) Forza Horizon series
2) Forza Motorsport series
3) DiRT series
4) The Crew series
5) GT Sport
6) NFS series
7) F1 series (I just can’t seem to get into it, but I believe it deserves a lot higher spot)

Upcoming racing games I ordered for this year are Wreckfest and GRID, I honestly don’t feel a need for another NFS game, not because I don’t like the handling to begin with, and certainly not because it’s from EA. But we’ll see where it goes. Who knows if it would get a lot of positive reviews I might have a look at it.

You've embarrassed yourself there with that list, not exactly discerning...

I want the first era of NFS to be back because IMO it was the most special. Thrilling races (great AI, simcade gameplay and beautiful road tracks) and the highest worship to the car I've ever seen in any game (showroom, exotic cars, menu design...). Basically the goal they were looking for when they created the saga.

But I enjoyed every Black Box game no matter the topic. And at this point, with the lack of good arcade racers and with Ghost offering the worst gameplay of all the history of the saga, I would be happy if they just offer proper physics.

PD: Something Black Box deserves to be praised for: they were by far the most innovative.

I want the first era of NFS to be back because IMO it was the most special. Thrilling races (great AI, simcade gameplay and beautiful road tracks) and the highest worship to the car I've ever seen in any game (showroom, exotic cars, menu design...). Basically the goal they were looking for when they created the saga.
Yep, one of the reasons DRIVECLUB clicked with me. It's pretty much old-school NFS but in "legal".
I don't mind the tuning stuff (except nitro), but I'm tired of open worlds and Burnout-esque drifting and crashing.

Yep, one of the reasons DRIVECLUB clicked with me. It's pretty much old-school NFS but in "legal".
I don't mind the tuning stuff (except nitro), but I'm tired of open worlds and Burnout-esque drifting and crashing.
This. I'm just longing for a modern Need for Speed that has physics and gameplay similar to Most Wanted 05 but turned up to 11.

I had a good laugh at this.

If it's using the horrible Frostbite engine again (which does nothing, i repeat NOTHING good for a racing game)
Not an ideal solution by any means, but FB does get the job done for the time being. A lot more of the issues in recent games can be attributed to design choices or developer incompetence than issues with the engine itself (in contrast to say, The Run).

I don't get how any justification can be found for the recent Need for Speed games having Burnout physics.
Probably because they were used in previous games and it's easier for Ghost to just use that as a basis rather than taking a stab at casual "grip" physics. Not that they're any good at B2D, but I imagine this plays a sizable role in their decision to keep using it.

I had a good laugh at this.

Not an ideal solution by any means, but FB does get the job done for the time being. A lot more of the issues in recent games can be attributed to design choices or developer incompetence than issues with the engine itself (in contrast to say, The Run).

Probably because they were used in previous games and it's easier for Ghost to just use that as a basis rather than taking a stab at casual "grip" physics. Not that they're any good at B2D, but I imagine this plays a sizable role in their decision to keep using it.

If the world is built around the physics then I guess I can accept it. But I would still much rather have grippy arcade physics like the Black Box games.

The good nfs games.

- The Need for Speed
- Old good Hot Pursuit era, one and 2.
- Most Wanted 1 and Carbon.

And that is all in 25 years.

Oh well maybe the shift series but never considered those as nfs games.

Not expecting much really.

Back