Need For Speed Heat - General Discussion

• Thread starter FT-1
  • 2,583 comments
So, for those who haven't seen it, this is what Lieutenant Mercer looks like:
Screenshot_20191016-072728.jpg

This is really shaping up to look like a great game. :drool:

There are more gameplay footage now, handling looks better than the last game.

Polestar 1:

There doesn't seem to be any traffic cars during the open world but a whole lot more traffic during the race in the Polestar footage

Don't understand any of these but the footage is not bad:

Heat 1 to 3 cop chase:

Near max stats (341/399) MK1 Golf:

These are the known engine swap options so far:

147hp 2.4l I6 - Nissan Fairlady 240ZG
217hp 2.3l I4 - BMW M3 E30
245hp 3.8l V6 - Buick Grand National
261hp 2.0l I4 - VW Golf GTI Clubsport
276hp 1.3l Wankel - Mazda RX7 Spirit R
300hp 2.5l F4 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI
306hp 3.5L V6 - Nissan 350Z
308hp 2.8l F6 - Porsche 911 Carrera RSR
326hp 2.6l I6 - Nissan Skyline R34 GTR
345hp 4.0l V8 - BMW M3 GTR
350hp 3.7l V6 - 370Z Nismo
362hp 2.5l F4 - Porsche 718 Cayman GTS
369hp 1.5l I3 Hybrid - BMW i8
385hp 4.9l F12 - Ferrari Testarossa
394hp 3.8l F6 - ???
444hp 3.0l F6 - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS
456hp 4.0l V8 - Mercedes AMG GT
460hp 6.2l V8 - Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport
493hp 3.0l I6 - BMW M4 GTS
503hp 2.9l V6 - Giulia Quadrifoglio
514hp 4.0l F6 - Porsche 991 GT3 RS
562hp 3.8l V6 - Nissan GT-R R35
562hp 3.8l V8 - Mclaren 570S
567hp 4.4L V8 - BMW X6 M
570hp 4.5l V8 - Ferrari 458 Italia
577hp 4.0l V8 - AMG GT R
591hp 4.4l V8 - BMW M5
600hp 2.0l Hybrid - Polestar One
600hp 5.2l V12- DB11
601hp 5.2l V10 - Lamborghini Huracan
640hp 8.4l V10 - SRT Viper GTS
646hp 3.5l V6 - Ford GT
710hp 3.9l V8 - Ferrari 488 Pista
721hp 3.8L Forged V6 - ???
730hp 6.5l V12 - Lamborghini Aventador S

Obviously not every car gets every swap, but this should give you some ideas on what to expect.

Last edited:
So, for those who haven't seen it, this is what Lieutenant Mercer looks like:
Not gonna lie, Mercer looks to be another NFS antagonist that I can hate and I haven't have that feeling since Cross.

As for the gameplay vids I've seen, I'm starting to be a little convinced that the handling has improved but I'm gonna be watching more vids of NFS Heat gameplay.

Not gonna lie, Mercer looks to be another NFS antagonist that I can hate and I haven't have that feeling since Cross.

As for the gameplay vids I've seen, I'm starting to be a little convinced that the handling has improved but I'm gonna be watching more vids of NFS Heat gameplay.
Take a look at KuruHS's Grip vs Drift gameplay if you haven't already. Grip literally is just Blackbox-style handling.

And as for Mercer, I agree. Although
He's not the one who yells "I SAID RIGHT NOW!!". That's his incredibly arrogant partner, Shaw.

KuruHS footage do look quite broken during full grip in low speed:

The modder that did the grip mods for NFS 2015 did comment on it:

Alright, just so there’s someone who’s done their fair share of messing with Ghost’s physics here: this is a bug caused by setting the steering range while on throttle too low, along with other things related to the drift config. So when he slammed on the gas, the game immediately adjusted his steering angle to the maximum allowed by the “SteeringRangeOnThrottle” variable. The team will wanna look there to fix the issue if they haven’t done so already.

It’s car-specific, so this bug might not exist on other cars, but we don’t know for sure since it doesn’t seem like anyone tested it on the others. Though it can also be something that got changed through an upgrade, since the upgrade system uses variables known as “Attribute to Modify” (or just ATM) to change different vehicle characteristics as you upgrade the car. So, that’s another area they need to look at if that is what’s causing this bug.

It looks fine at high speed:

The 3 legacy cars they added for the game are very accurate to the past games, Rachael's 350z from Underground 2 has accurate body kits, taillights and even the speakers in the trunk can be seen.

6QS1nF5.png

More gameplay footage released today:

Full grip and off road build on the Subaru

Full drift build RX7 and customisation

Full grip build Evo X and customisation

Full grip build Ferrari Testarossa

The 3 legacy cars they added for the game are very accurate to the past games, Rachael's 350z from Underground 2 has accurate body kits, taillights and even the speakers in the trunk can be seen.

Yeah. Same with Eddies Skyline. It has same wide body as in NFS Underground.

I wonder are those characters rivals in campaing mode? Or what?

Yeah. Same with Eddies Skyline. It has same wide body as in NFS Underground.

I wonder are those characters rivals in campaing mode? Or what?

all 3 cars are tied to campaign/story completion, Eddie's Skyline is for finishing "Race Story Mission", Rachael's 350z is for finishing "Drift Story Mission" and the M3 GTR is complete the main campaign story.

Will be nice if the characters appear as some kind of final boss of the branch but I doubt that will happen.

I really really wish they would do something more interesting with the head/tail light options. A few cars get some interesting choices (The Countach has a really cool alternative set of tail-lights) but for the most part we're stuck with just being able to adjust the tint slightly. Why not just make that a colour selection slider at this point?

all 3 cars are tied to campaign/story completion, Eddie's Skyline is for finishing "Race Story Mission", Rachael's 350z is for finishing "Drift Story Mission" and the M3 GTR is complete the main campaign story.

Will be nice if the characters appear as some kind of final boss of the branch but I doubt that will happen.

It would be great. Too bad it probably won't happen. It would be nice even if they appear as "random opponents" :D

Kind of a wasted opportunity bringing that offroad Raptor from payback as a reward for the offroad story when they could give us Ryo's Evo instead. Sure Ryo didn't have anything to do with offroading, but Rachel also didn't have anything to do with drifting and her car is the reward there so why not?

Anybody just not noticed yet that this is the first NFS game that uses vulgar words? (as for racing games, The Crew does it earlier).

Tbh I think I'd be nice, if for the engine swaps, there could be a way to see what car they originated from, instead of the (albeit more informative) name that's more technical, such as including displacement and whether it's an inline, boxer, etc.

Say, I did see some engine swap menu footage from a Game Changer tinkering with the Countach. What engines were those? I'd wager most of them are Lamborghini engines, but that's just a guess.

Anybody just not noticed yet that this is the first NFS game that uses vulgar words? (as for racing games, The Crew does it earlier).

Vulgar words was used in the announcement trailer too, the narrator did say “don’t **** up” when talking about the cops.

Tbh I think I'd be nice, if for the engine swaps, there could be a way to see what car they originated from, instead of the (albeit more informative) name that's more technical, such as including displacement and whether it's an inline, boxer, etc.

Say, I did see some engine swap menu footage from a Game Changer tinkering with the Countach. What engines were those? I'd wager most of them are Lamborghini engines, but that's just a guess.

They can’t list the originated car as it will be a licensing issue, SHIFT 2 did that and all the swaps are locked within the same manufacturer.

One of the post above have a list of engine seen in the swap menu and listed its originator.

The grip handling looks good. I'm praying that they get it right this time but as always with Ghost you never know.

I can see the split between day/night is going to be annoying. Does that mean you don't earn bank at night and don't earn rep during the day? If that's the case then probably the quickest way to finish the game and unlock everything is stick to night mode (with occasional dips in the day to get money to buy better cars/parts). Then once you complete story mode and just want to mess around tuning cars there's no reason at all to race at night.

Hi, it's me again, jumping in with what was once an ultra-long post but I've decided to cut out the bits about anything other than the map so you won't have to scroll too far to get to the comments you want to see. You can thank me later.

The map. It's.. alright, I guess. I *think* I might see a reference I kind-of approve of, even though it'll only ever be visited by people in white Countachs and those who claim to know their pop culture references but don't actually so they show up in *that* Nissan Skyline instead. Aaaaaand I've just realised what the online lobbies are going to be like on this. Thank 🤬 for single player.

Aside from that, I spy a quarry in the top left and Mystery City 2.0 in the north. Now watch the NFS subreddit call the latter a deliberate reference. Which, knowing Ghost, it is.

I too noticed the map district name references: Bayview, Rockville, Callahan, Palmont. I think it's safe to say at this point Ghost will shoehorn as much references to the old games as possible, because it's a low hanging fruit to get old fans excited. I mean it's practically guaranteed we will get Eddie's Skyline and MW M3 GTR in every NFS game onwards.

Nice catch on Aquatica though *Aquila 303 intensifies* ;)

I can see the split between day/night is going to be annoying. Does that mean you don't earn bank at night and don't earn rep during the day? If that's the case then probably the quickest way to finish the game and unlock everything is stick to night mode (with occasional dips in the day to get money to buy better cars/parts). Then once you complete story mode and just want to mess around tuning cars there's no reason at all to race at night.

I think you still earn bank at night but it is ridiculously low, same goes for rep during the day. I think night will be used for cop chases and the grind for end game parts with the high heat races, I think once you get everything then it will be pointless if you don't like cops.

I think it's safe to say at this point Ghost will shoehorn as much references to the old games as possible, because it's a low hanging fruit to get old fans excited.

..is it really a surprise at this point, though? I mean, they do have a fanbase that's constantly asking for legacy characters (even though 2015 is a case study in how they're fan service for the sake of being fan service and add nothing of value to the game unless handled properly) to go along with their legacy cars. Next thing you know they'll take a hint from the GTA fanbase and start actively demanding legacy settings as well. I can already see those comments for me: "please make Bayview in the next game", "Tri-City Bay or bust", "come on guys, surely with the 2025 NFS game being the 20th anniversary of Most Wanted, they'll set it in Rockport". There comes a point where it's easier for everyone if people just played the games where said legacy characters and settings appear.

Legacy cars is one thing - if Ghost weren't doing them, the rest of the fanbase definitely would, so while I could make a fairly convincing argument that they're a waste of development time, I've sort-of tried that and got an agitated response, so whatever. Besides, I can already see people going "but them adding the SV decals to the Diablo also makes it a legacy car lol you're such a hypocrite" even though that was a factory option and the car was never specially modified for a game, but.. there are certain arguments that just aren't worth getting into. Let's put it like that.

I can't believe I'm about to be the one to defend Ghost in an NFS thread, but tying them down too hard in peoples own little time warp isn't going to do anyone - least of all the franchise - any good. If anything it'll just make it even more dated than game design from 2008 is already making it. Refer to Criterion spicing up the Hot Pursuit formula and Black Box deciding to do a Ctrl+A, Delete to start Underground at your own leisure.

Unless, of course, people insist on continuing down this rabbit hole, in which case I shall gladly join in the shouting:

Bring back Mulligan!
Bring back Nemesis!
C'mon Ghost, you've brought back the Countach 25th, you can't not bring back Gotcha! (..that's my Countach's license plate sorted, actually. Thanks for the suggestion, me! You're welcome!)
And Ace, for that matter!
Jammin would make such an interesting character!
mfw Ghost added a desert in Payback and not a single Rusty Springs reference in sight!
I have a theory that Mystery City 2.0 is actually Empire City. Source: there's a space facility on the map, it makes perfect sense! (I wonder how many will get that one without looking it up)
Also surely the Porsche 911 Turbo Bonus is a legacy car too, why haven't they added that?

Are people getting sick to death of this yet? Give it a few years of intermittent repetition and you'll get what I mean when I say there's a perfectly valid reason why I normally stay well clear of NFS discussions on the internet.

..is it really a surprise at this point, though? I mean, they do have a fanbase that's constantly asking for legacy characters (even though 2015 is a case study in how they're fan service for the sake of being fan service and add nothing of value to the game unless handled properly) to go along with their legacy cars. Next thing you know they'll take a hint from the GTA fanbase and start actively demanding legacy settings as well. I can already see those comments for me: "please make Bayview in the next game", "Tri-City Bay or bust", "come on guys, surely with the 2025 NFS game being the 20th anniversary of Most Wanted, they'll set it in Rockport". There comes a point where it's easier for everyone if people just played the games where said legacy characters and settings appear.

Legacy cars is one thing - if Ghost weren't doing them, the rest of the fanbase definitely would, so while I could make a fairly convincing argument that they're a waste of development time, I've sort-of tried that and got an agitated response, so whatever. Besides, I can already see people going "but them adding the SV decals to the Diablo also makes it a legacy car lol you're such a hypocrite" even though that was a factory option and the car was never specially modified for a game, but.. there are certain arguments that just aren't worth getting into. Let's put it like that.

I can't believe I'm about to be the one to defend Ghost in an NFS thread, but tying them down too hard in peoples own little time warp isn't going to do anyone - least of all the franchise - any good. If anything it'll just make it even more dated than game design from 2008 is already making it. Refer to Criterion spicing up the Hot Pursuit formula and Black Box deciding to do a Ctrl+A, Delete to start Underground at your own leisure.

Unless, of course, people insist on continuing down this rabbit hole, in which case I shall gladly join in the shouting:

Bring back Mulligan!
Bring back Nemesis!
C'mon Ghost, you've brought back the Countach 25th, you can't not bring back Gotcha! (..that's my Countach's license plate sorted, actually. Thanks for the suggestion, me! You're welcome!)
And Ace, for that matter!
Jammin would make such an interesting character!
mfw Ghost added a desert in Payback and not a single Rusty Springs reference in sight!
I have a theory that Mystery City 2.0 is actually Empire City. Source: there's a space facility on the map, it makes perfect sense! (I wonder how many will get that one without looking it up)
Also surely the Porsche 911 Turbo Bonus is a legacy car too, why haven't they added that?

Are people getting sick to death of this yet? Give it a few years of intermittent repetition and you'll get what I mean when I say there's a perfectly valid reason why I normally stay well clear of NFS discussions on the internet.
Gonna be honest, I feel like this also lines up with the whole "WE WANT UNDERGROUND 3!!!" people. Those are the ones that annoy me.

Gonna be honest, I feel like this also lines up with the whole "WE WANT UNDERGROUND 3!!!" people. Those are the ones that annoy me.

I never quite understand the "WE WANT UNDERGROUND 3" crowd, like what is the one special thing in those game but every other games doesn't have it and it needs to return.

Last edited:
I never quite understand the "WE WANT UNDERGROUND 3" crowd, like what is the one special thing in those game but every other games doesn't have it and it needs to return.

All of this is a good point, actually - people have already been demanding legacy nameplates for no other reason than having a legacy nameplate for quite some time. Surely all it takes to make a good game is for it to have that legacy nameplate, amirite Kylotonn?

And just before people eventually mention Most Wanted 2012 - have a look at what was in the works before EA decided to necessitate hurrying things along. I'm not sure you're being entirely fair.

The grip handling looks good. I'm praying that they get it right this time but as always with Ghost you never know.
Looking at videos where people have been doing both grip and drift builds, I'd say that they'll never get it right. It looks pretty damn bad.

Back