Need for Speed Heat Review: Hot in the City

3 is a little too low, but looking to review's online point, have to agree. Hope we will get those nice things before it's too late.

3 is a little too low, but looking to review's online point, have to agree. Hope we will get those nice things before it's too late.
To be fair, it's 3.2 - 64% - which is above average.

If they only gave it either Forza Horizon or NFS U2/MW/Carbon style physics I'd happily spend full price for it :dunce:

A game stands and falls with it's driving physics imho. And this NFS falls (again) :(

Can't stand all the cop chasing, had to uninstall it. I'll wait for the next one which won't have cops (I think?)

Jerome

Review scores work differently here than they do on the majority of review sites; if you follow this link, you'll discover that the reviewer wasn't even disappointed by NFS Heat.

I've never been a fan of one solid number to sum up a review. The concluding segment tells you a lot of what you need to know and you can form your own value from that.

I feel the online element is being unfairly downplayed. It is significantly more involving than payback and a throw back to the potential of 2015. You share a live(ish) environment with the ability to compete and possibly complement each other in the same world and play the same events at the same time. That said there is still room for improvement and time will tell.

I don't care about the online myself. And for the singleplayer alone, this game is a 9/10 for me.

Following my racing games chronologically in the past year:
* FH4 was amazing but I got bored with the Great Britain landscape now.
* FH4 - Fortune Island lost its appeal after 2 weeks.
* Dirt Rally 2.0 is amazing, my 2019 racing game of the year for sure.
* FH4 - LEGO Speed Champions lost its appeal after 2 days.
* Wreckfest - I really gotta play a bit more of this but for some reason I don't feel like it.
* GRID - Fun for a few days, then absolutely boring.
* NFS Heat - The racing game I expected the least from but it turns out to be my second favorite one of 2019 (after Dirt Rally 2.0). Being bored to the back of my teeth with Great Britain in FH4, the Miami-ish scene of Heat feels very refreshing. I personally find the world design top notch as well and the graphics sure top those of FH4. The day/night system is great as well. The only really negative point for me is the 30 fps.

I didn't really like NFS 2015 or Payback much, but Heat for sure is WAY better than those 2 games.

Ooh and... this rocks!

Can't stand all the cop chasing, had to uninstall it. I'll wait for the next one which won't have cops (I think?)
Need for Speed is not and has never been the franchise you're looking for then. The only NFS games without police chases that I can recall are ProStreet and Shift/Shift 2. All of which are many years old and represent major departures from the series' normal tropes.

If they only gave it either Forza Horizon or NFS U2/MW/Carbon style physics I'd happily spend full price for it :dunce:

A game stands and falls with it's driving physics imho. And this NFS falls (again) :(
If you turn traction control on, you effectively have MW/Carbon style physics. Which is to say, very little physics simulation to speak of, the car is basically bolted to the ground and you just brake enough to make your turning radius what you need it to be. Now, this is still awful compared to Forza Horizon, which has proven once and for all that you CAN have an accessible mass-market arcade racing game with physics that still resemble actually driving a car. But traction control in NFSH gets the job done if you can't stand the wonky drifting "physics".

Overall I have to say this is the best NFS game in many years. Most Wanted (2005) always seemed like the high point of the series to me. Judged in the context of the time it came out, I still think Most Wanted was more impressive at the time. But I think Heat may be an objectively better game, it just seems less impressive to me now because there is such strong competition from titles such as Horizon 4. Still, this is easily better than any other recent NFS game.

Last edited:
Need for Speed is not and has never been the franchise you're looking for then. The only NFS games without police chases that I can recall are ProStreet and Shift/Shift 2. All of which are many years old and represent major departures from the series' normal tropes.

The last one, from 2016...did that one have a ton of cops? I don't recall it having as much *shrug*

Jerome

The last one, from 2016...did that one have a ton of cops? I don't recall it having as much *shrug*

Jerome

technically it has but they are just very incompetent, you pretty much have to chase the police to keep the chase longer than 2 minutes.

The only NFS games without police chases that I can recall are ProStreet and Shift/Shift 2. All of which are many years old and represent major departures from the series' normal tropes.

I personally loved Shift, but didn't get around to Shift 2. Anyhow, Shift was a great break from the previous NFS games of the time. I enjoyed getting another POV of track racing that wasn't Gran Turismo. And it was very good, IMO.

you can actually watch textures gradually loading with the naked eye — switch to a new car in the garage and you’ll see the game load the shapes in over a period of a couple of tenths of a second

Isn't that mostly devs trying to exploit the design choice (the neon arcade shape feels and stuff)? I meant technically they can just make the models not appearing until it finishes loading completely, but it'll feel slower.

I do agree that when you go into garage (from the free roam) and the background cars and people models loads and pop in one by one is kinda distracting. Then again, possibly the same loading time reasons.

Reference:

A lot of people dont realise the beta of both NFS 2 and NFS UG2 were actually going to feature cops.

NFS2 cops were cut due to time constraints others say due to licensing issues. UG2 was cut due to numerous reasons.

NFS has always had cops. Honestly im enjoying heat so much if only the game had a cockpit view camera it would make the game 10 times better. Tje game is great does not deserve the hate by nfs mw and ug fanboys.

It ia the right direction of the franchise. Cops of the game make the game even better. Open world without cops is just boring thats why I find the crew 2 so boring.

So Heat's okay, but is it pay full price and get it right now okay, or would it be better to wait till it's 30% off or something?

So Heat's okay, but is it pay full price and get it right now okay, or would it be better to wait till it's 30% off or something?
Try in EA/Origin Access for yourself. Its 10h demo section of a game for 5$ and 10% discount if you make decision to buy it. Also, you could play bunch of older EA games for free.

Try in EA/Origin Access for yourself. Its 10h demo section of a game for 5$ and 10% discount if you make decision to buy it. Also, you could play bunch of older EA games for free.

Exactly. That's how I did it. Although I have applied an extra discount :D I used xbox store checker and bought from Brazilian MS store. Deluxe edition for the price of standard edition (62,80 € for gift cards)

Sounds like a decent NFS game for once. Really digging the setting this time around but I'm not sure about the cops being constantly present though (night time) and some of the performance issues on the standard PS4.

Should pick it up once it hits the Christmas sale on PSN.

Ill probably wait a little bit for a sale on this too, but definitely more interested in this than Grid which seems to be dead now...

Game is officially properly on my radar. Stopped playing payback after about an hour so I was ultra sceptical about this one, however it looks like it finally might be worth it again.

Ill probably wait a little bit for a sale on this too, but definitely more interested in this than Grid which seems to be dead now...

I plan to pick up Grid when it goes on sale. I've heard nothing about when it will see additions & updates, so it will be bargain bin or nothing.

This game is getting better reviews than I expected, but the lack of wheel support is still a deal breaker. Might pick this up once it's a reasonable sale price, or just buy a PS2 and play underground again

I'll pick it up on Black Friday.
I loved NFS 2015 before the patch.
Strangely enough I was a huge advocate for the manual transmission patch, but oh boy, they did it really bad.

Back