Need For Speed Payback General Discussion

• Thread starter Ameer67
  • 1,566 comments
It is relevant; it's not a "crisis" as you choose to word it given the positive feedback surrounding it.

Given the fact it's also an optional add-on & doesn't affect how the main game is played, there is no "change" either. It was something different for PG to experiment with.

1. The term is "identity crisis", not "crisis". Identity crisis means that you go through an identity change and no longer know what you are. Whether people like that change or not is not a criteria.

2. I didn't choose the term identity crisis (or crisis for that matter).

3. Why is it not a change if it's optional content? Can changes only be mandatory content?

1. The term is "identity crisis", not "crisis". Identity crisis means that you go through an identity change and no longer know what you are. Whether people like that change or not is not a criteria.
Something Horizon never did. The environment merely changed to an unrealistic world of loops & speed boosters; the challenges and races remained the same.
3. Why is it not a change if it's optional content? Can changes only be mandatory content?
Because there was no "identity change" to begin with, as you claim the game went through.

If introducing an expansion like Hot Wheels was an identity crisis for Horizon, then the Motorsport series lost sight of what it was long ago with the DLC it's introduced. :rolleyes:

*reaction to gameplay and game itself after hoping for actual revive of series*
youre_serious_futurama.gif

Well, the game does look incredibly good in the gameplay trailer. I will reserve my full opinion upon further videos and scoops from others who have played it, but for now, the physics as far as I can see from my eye is still meh. I like takedowns since I like NFSHP2010, but hopefully the storyline does not control the game's world like The Run did.

Regera looks so good in this trailer though. Customization looks to be improved

You guys realize this will be the first NFS without Craig Sullivan. Craig left Ghost to work at Amazon games studio. Personally I enjoyed the last 2 NFS but I thought Rivals was better than NFS 2015. Nighttime got boring for me. Its tough to say how much influence Craig had on Payback but Im sure he was at Ghost for preproduction. The new guy William Ho doesnt seem to have a lot of racing game experience...

I like takedowns since I like NFSHP2010, but hopefully the storyline does not control the game's world like The Run did.

NFSHP2010 got the take downs nailed. A few good hits and you're rewarded with a cinematic and extravagant wreck, just the way I like it! Payback's take downs seem a bit less amazing if the gameplay trailer is anything to go by, the enemy is destroyed in one or two seemingly minor hits and the visual damage isn't as significant. Still awesome, but not nearly like what they have done in the past.

Customization looks to be improved
It's only one car though, and not to mention I get deja vu moments when it has nearly identical styling in 2015.

Now if you can make your own parts then I wouldn't be complaining. In fact that allows for more personal vehicles in my opinion.

They could've done a bit better on the presentation, but I guess I'm bitter to just buying anything nowadays.

Some thoughts did cross my mind.

The customization & the story, surely they aren't tied-together (though I have an idea of how that could work), so I wonder which had priority during development and why? The customization clearly shows relation to 2015, so people must of found it alright for what it needed to be/do, the 2015 'story' though was labeled things from "cringey" and "forced" to 'an absolute waste of resource' by many corners of the internet.

I wonder if this push for a single-player story came out of... some need or desire from someone or some group to further their writing or directing or whatever you wanna call it. No one really asked for story, so why else go with this direction for near 2 years, even when all people really wanted was an Underground 3, if not for some writer/director vendetta of sorts?

GTAWiseguy did make a nice looking 350Z though.

You know that your action sequence is cliche af when someone can call exactly what's about to happen moments before it happens;
Code:
https://clips.twitch.tv/AdorablePlausibleStingrayFUNgineer

(Bloody GTP forcing me to post that as code just to avoid it trying to parse it as a broken channel link...)

Kinda mixed impressions from this one. I hate that every arcade racing game is trying to cash in on the F&F heist hype now (then again, NFSUG started the whole ricer hype back then as well), but they can be pretty fun and intense if done right. The physics from that trailer looks to be much improved from NFS 2015. It reminds me of HP 2010. While it wasn't the greatest NFS physics, is acceptable compared to piloting a brick of soap with wall magnets that is NFS 2015. The frequency of cutscenes however is horrendous. It is the absolute worst feeling in a racing game when control is yanked from the player at crucial moments. I hope it's isolated to only a few "set piece" stages like NFS The Run, and the rest of the game is mostly normal driving/racing. Time will tell.

Customisation looks pretty much the same as NFS 2015 to me, down to the menu presentation. I'm expecting a few more bodykits for each car (including the drag, drift and offroad sets), but not a quantum leap like NFSUG --> NFSUG2.

The map could also get repetitive real quick. NFS The Run works because you are moving from West to East coast and you never see the same piece of road twice. This being set in an open world, and likely having a more "open" HP/Rivals type map instead of MW 2012/NFS 2015 dense city map can get boring pretty fast. I would think that you would've seen every corner by 1 hour. Saying it's the biggest map ever doesn't mean much because area size and road length isn't correlated.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to more info and gameplay vids. We especially need to see how normal race modes work instead of the movie set pieces. I was pleasantly surprised by The Run, but Undercover was one of the worst NFS experiences ever, so this could go both ways really.

Also, since canyon is back, I hope we get an event similar to this:

Note that despite arcade physics, the car in The Run behaves generally like a car should 👍

Cops have a much bigger presence than in 2015, plus all 3 characters have their own specialties.

Cops have a much bigger presence than in 2015, plus all 3 characters have their own specialties.

So... more useless cops that do nothing? :lol:

IMO, I'm really not looking forward to this game after seeing this:

2015 physics anyone? (Or at least drift to go fast physics)

I certainly have complaints about the franchise, and there are many valid criticisms of the previous game. But since I'm one of the few NFS apologists on this forum, I'll try to be the voice of reason.

Let's take a breath for a minute.

Okay. Does anyone really think that every bit of the game is going to be just like this trailer? Do you think that regular street racing is now lost forever? If so, you are overreacting. They showed THIS because it's the newest and most significant change over the last game. ANY game developer is going to focus their marketing on what's DIFFERENT about their newest game compared to the last one.

My guess is that the flow of the game is going to be very similar to Undercover. You will be able to free roam, drive up to any race you choose to enter, and earn money and rep. At certain level-ups, you will be able to advance the story via special missions like the one shown already. What's so *wrong* about that? - People are acting like the gameplay is soooo different and NFS is having an identity crisis. I AGREE that consistency has not been the series strong suit. But saying that 'it's totally jumped the shark' and 'why can't they do a game like the old ones?' These are overreactions.

It looks as though they've borrowed key elements from MANY NFS games. What could possibly BE more NFS than that?

Okay. Does anyone really think that every bit of the game is going to be just like this trailer? Do you think that regular street racing is now lost forever? If so, you are overreacting. They showed THIS because it's the newest and most significant change over the last game. ANY game developer is going to focus their marketing on what's DIFFERENT about their newest game compared to the last one.
I don't know. Trailers I seen usually range from showing new features, to giving people an idea what the broad aspect of the game is going to be like. Although, I would have to agree, I'm sure there's still going to be "street" racing, per se. I just see it being a filler, though. Maybe like having random AI players cruise around the map that you can challange.

However, with such a heavy focus on ramming, and burnout style situations, I'm wondering how actual races will pan out.

My guess is that the flow of the game is going to be very similar to Undercover. You will be able to free roam, drive up to any race you choose to enter, and earn money and rep. At certain level-ups, you will be able to advance the story via special missions like the one shown already. What's so *wrong* about that?
The thing I see being wrong with that is that its just a wild guess. I'm wondering, with such a heavy focus on these kind of "Job" like missions, if this is going to be the only type available, these are going to be your "races." Like proceeding through a story and having it unravel like a movie. More info is definitely needed at this point, but as it sits, I'm not holding my breath as of yet.
People are acting like the gameplay is soooo different and NFS is having an identity crisis. I AGREE that consistency has not been the series strong suit. But saying that 'it's totally jumped the shark' and 'why can't they do a game like the old ones?' These are overreactions.
People are having these issues because NFS2015 was supposed to be a reboot, but they branched out pretty far from it, to be honest.

I don't know. Trailers I seen usually range from showing new features, to giving people an idea what the broad aspect of the game is going to be like. Although, I would have to agree, I'm sure there's still going to be "street" racing, per se. I just see it being a filler, though. Maybe like having random AI players cruise around the map that you can challange.

However, with such a heavy focus on ramming, and burnout style situations, I'm wondering how actual races will pan out.

The thing I see being wrong with that is that its just a wild guess. I'm wondering, with such a heavy focus on these kind of "Job" like missions, if this is going to be the only type available, these are going to be your "races." Like proceeding through a story and having it unravel like a movie. More info is definitely needed at this point, but as it sits, I'm not holding my breath as of yet.

People are having these issues because NFS2015 was supposed to be a reboot, but they branched out pretty far from it, to be honest.

You are right, it's just a guess, but I would be surprised if their weren't a ton of predefined racing events littered around the map just like there was in 2015. I'm with you though, I'm wondering what the racing will be like given the whole epic crashiness we were shown.

Here's what I would prefer: In Prostreet, the main antagonist was a dude belonging to the Apex Glide racing team. It was subtle, but there was a noticeable difference in aggression during the races in which another Apex Glide member was part of. They could do something similar with this villainous organization called "The House." There could be regular races, but also randomly generated races in which one or more members of The House join. Those would be more aggressive and competitive.

I really, really doubt that this game will be as linear as The Run. And I also really doubt that missions like this will be the only type of driving experience. For one thing, I'm pretty sure they've already confirmed free-roam. (Don't quote me on that though).
Secondly, the fact that there is extensive customization almost debunks that idea on its own. Why would they place such a heavy focus on customization (which will no doubt require lots of money) if the story and races are all completely linear? Those two concepts just don't add up.

Need for Speed will be interesting only if they come back to close tracks and stop making ****** open world games

Need for Speed will be interesting only if they come back to close tracks and stop making ****** open world games

See, this illustrates the problem. There's no way to please every NFS fan because we all want different things. Most people on here complain about the track only versions of NFS - Prostreet, Shift and Shift 2.

As far as a preference about whether it's track-only or open-world, I don't know what to tell you. Looks like you are S.O.L. this go-around. But it seems like the majority prefers exactly the opposite of what you described.

I've also seen a few people complain that supercars (exotics, hypercars, whatever you wanna call them) shouldn't be in the game. The idea has even been thrown out more than once that there should be TWO NFS games, one for exotics and one for tuners. My question is this: If you don't want exotics in the game, why can't you just NOT buy them? It's a single player experience. No one is forcing you to buy one.
-OR-
If you DO like exotics but think that it's sacrilege to "rice them out," then why can't you buy an exotic and choose NOT to rice it out? I don't understand why some feel that this is such an important issue that it justifies making two separate games instead of just altering their own purchasing decision within one game.

Anyway, it seems to me that in a relentless quest to try to placate the majority of fans, they continue to try and throw everything but the kitchen sink in the game, hoping to hit the high points with everyone... Ain't gonna happen.

@CleanCut I would note that he didn't say "racetracks", he just said "close[d?] tracks". Of which the Need For Speed franchise was from its start - closed or point-to-point tracks. I've played since the very first NFS, and have given up on these new iterations because of the physics of the driving and gimmicks.

The game has always been about sports and exotic cars since its inception - with some exclusions along the way. If people want to modify the cars, they should be able to as well though. I enjoyed that aspect too when it was eventually introduced to the later games.

The closed track versions did seem superior to me, however I have liked the open-world games like the original Most Wanted. I'm sure it can be done well, but I have no faith in the current developers...and what I've seen so far doesn't change that.

See, this illustrates the problem. There's no way to please every NFS fan because we all want different things. Most people on here complain about the track only versions of NFS - Prostreet, Shift and Shift 2.

As far as a preference about whether it's track-only or open-world, I don't know what to tell you. Looks like you are S.O.L. this go-around. But it seems like the majority prefers exactly the opposite of what you described.

I've also seen a few people complain that supercars (exotics, hypercars, whatever you wanna call them) shouldn't be in the game. The idea has even been thrown out more than once that there should be TWO NFS games, one for exotics and one for tuners. My question is this: If you don't want exotics in the game, why can't you just NOT buy them? It's a single player experience. No one is forcing you to buy one.
-OR-
If you DO like exotics but think that it's sacrilege to "rice them out," then why can't you buy an exotic and choose NOT to rice it out? I don't understand why some feel that this is such an important issue that it justifies making two separate games instead of just altering their own purchasing decision within one game.

Anyway, it seems to me that in a relentless quest to try to placate the majority of fans, they continue to try and throw everything but the kitchen sink in the game, hoping to hit the high points with everyone... Ain't gonna happen.

I didn't mean "tracks" as Prostreet or shift, my bad. I think a HP2010 formula would be the best for NFS.

I'm liking what I see so far. I had a lot of fun with the 2015 game and I'm still playing it now and again, everything is broken and unrealistic sure but was need for speed ever realistic? :P

The only thing I really want Ghost to take care of is that DANG CRASH CAM. Just scraping a guardrail at 200+ mph and going flying off into oblivion just riled me up so much sometimes I swear. If they do that and make it so the sliders actually do something and make a grip setup actually grip, I think we're in good shape here.

I just want more stupid wide bodykits for my AE86 and other niche 90's Japanese sports cars lol.

. ..If they do that and make it so the sliders actually do something and make a grip setup actually grip, I think we're in good shape here.

That's one thing that irked me about NFS 2015, you could play the entire game without ever needing a grip tuned car. I think the idea was to make grip handling more suitable for events where you are racing against the clock, but grip tunes suffer from so much understeer that cars with drift setups are always faster. If NFS Payback is going to have grip setups available, cars have to be able to turn in sharper for it to work.

That's one thing that irked me about NFS 2015, you could play the entire game without ever needing a grip tuned car. I think the idea was to make grip handling more suitable for events where you are racing against the clock, but grip tunes suffer from so much understeer that cars with drift setups are always faster. If NFS Payback is going to have grip setups available, cars have to be able to turn in sharper for it to work.

Yeah, you said it perfectly. Crippling understeer is all you get from a grip setup. My Supra might make the corner sometimes, and it's never a good sign for a physics engine when you're trying to take a corner at 60mph on the grippiest tires available and make the turn out of hope rather than expectation.

Someone at the E3 demo said that the physics are much better and grip is noticable so that's a good sign already. Don't know if it's true or not but it's something to think about being optimistic for lol.

Back