Need For Speed Payback General Discussion

• Thread starter Ameer67
  • 1,566 comments
I’m going up against the Silver Six team and I haven’t had issues with Speed Cards so far.

I’ve just kept trading in my tokens for Outlaw parts (Speed + Nitrous bonus) and I haven’t been in a situation where my cars were underpowered.

I think the speed cards wouldn't be too bad if you could use them on different cars within the same class, other wise there's no point in keeping them. I've been trying to collect as many acceleration and nitrous cards as I can, considering I have no real interest in any of the cars that can hit 399 performance index.

Speedcards seems to be there to make upgrading cars slow, I've finished the game and have bought a few additional cars. Getting a derelict drift Mustang from level 100 to 300 takes about 2 hours and 3-4 trips to the tune up shops for me, pushing the Ford GT to max 399 stats takes less than an hour since it start at a much higher stats.

The system is alright as long you don't mind repeating races.

^ because it's the thing people will want the most, therefore ea thinks you will buy crates to get it, and possibly spend who knows how much to get it. This as i have said is where the real evil lies in this game. It's pure gambling for kids and it makes me sick. It is however not ruining the game for me cuse i dont care to much about the vanity iteam, unironicly the air suspension is the only thing i would use on most of my cars for photos and such. The horns i will not use cuse i can't liste to them before i install em, flame colour maybe, neons are a no with very few exceptions, tire smoke on drift cars i guess.... anyways, yeah tons of the other stuff, no air suspension yet. Anyone got the air suspension?

I have to say that grinding in this game is tedious and the rewards aren't worth the effort. It's like they didn't learn anything from The Crew when they had the same issue with earning parts from skill challenges.

Although I was surprised to see Aki Kimura again. Nice touch there.

I have to say that grinding in this game is tedious and the rewards aren't worth the effort. It's like they didn't learn anything from The Crew when they had the same issue with earning parts from skill challenges.

Although I was surprised to see Aki Kimura again. Nice touch there.
Wait... this game has Aki Kimura?! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

This guy right here???

Wait... this game has Aki Kimura?! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

This guy right here???

Yes.

After completing the game, I do have some gripes. One is the selection of cars. While it's not bad by any stretch of the imagination, I do question why some cars were included and some weren't. I'm also not that big of a fan of the game's photo mode and I feel like the PC version was an afterthought compared to the console versions.

Another opinion I have would be, with how the performance tuning works, I wish there was a car class system, especially with multiplayer, that way cars are over all relatively balanced, so when you go into a multiplayer speed list with say a 350z race car or an M3 you're not being completely ruined by the couple people with regeras or p1s. Considering not every car can reach lvl 399 and how much grinding you have to do in order to lvl up a single car.

Having had this a few days and having resisted the temptation to sell it thus far, Im actually quite enjoying this.

The world is varied and beautiful to drive around in especially the forests as you get a High Stakes vibe out of it.

The racing is fun and I find the AI dont ram you off the road but simply trade paint and Im cool with that.

The visual customisation is really good with a lot of choice for modifying your car. Less said about the speed cards the better, I dont worry too much about what card I have with what perk as Im still trying to wrap my head around it all. For someone whos used to the more straight forward approach of upgrading in say Forza or Gran Turismo its just weird.

Maybe I might hang onto this after all.

Does anyone know how to trade in Speed Cards apart from immediately after winning them from a race? I need to trade four more in to unlock wheels.

Does anyone know how to trade in Speed Cards apart from immediately after winning them from a race? I need to trade four more in to unlock wheels.

Under "performance" in the garage. Select the category (turbo, head, etc) and choose the part you want to trade on the right hand side. Simply press the indicated buttons and trade away. This only works if you have parts to trade and won't work if you only have one other part other than "stock".

Under "performance" in the garage. Select the category (turbo, head, etc) and choose the part you want to trade on the right hand side. Simply press the indicated buttons and trade away. This only works if you have parts to trade and won't work if you only have one other part other than "stock".

Many thanks. I've got plenty of left over cards for my S2000 that I'd rather use to unlock the wheel customization.

Beware of the comments section. Comment section is full of Forza this, Forza that like it gets boring.

Watching that video was way more painfull than playing the game. I am done with this conversation, the game has some faults and issues, but i am having more fun than i can remember with a nfs title in a long time. Stop focusing on stupid desing choices and just play the game, you might be suprised how much fun it is.

Just as a note, i have never taken part in miro transactions a d i will not start with this game. I dont like them and do not support them. If i find it is hurting my experiance i will stop playing/buying those games.

I'm still gonna buy it though. I'm not even bothered in terms of MTs and lootboxes but if the difficulty of getting performance parts is anywhere similar to No Limits where you had to use MT just to get the performance parts/materials to advance the game, I think we have ourselves a problem.

^^^ For some strange reason the video you posted is unplayable for me. Nevertheless, I have yet to see anyone on these forums or anywhere else state that MTs are an absolute must with this game, and I have seen plenty of customization videos on YouTube of the highest-end cars available. While the random upgrade system is unusual, I think people are looking with all their might to find something to complain about. This argument about MTs has reached a dead-end and can go no further, at least for the time being.

The problem with the random upgrades are that there will be many times where you do NOT get anything good. I literally got the same or even worse parts for doing some of the races/story missions and it often happened multiple times in a row. The game even did that when I tried rolling for a part as well. Another thing that bugged me was how the cops aren't affected by spike strips or the fact that Corvettes could do 150+ on dirt. Personally, I just don't like when games pull the whole "you can't do that, only we can do that" thing.

The random upgrades part is starting to remind me of No Limits with its crates and reward cards post race system and that doesn't look good.

I bought the game last night and have played a bit and im enjoying it so far, best part is you dont have to drift around every corner.

Put quite a bit of time in the game now, just passed the heist mission from E3, and built my first derelict, mixed feelings so far. On one hand, the game really has me hooked. Customization is great, the cars I've driven sound good, and the world is pretty big and varied. On the other hand, the speed cards performance upgrade system is awful... Took me quite awhile to get the hang of it and it's just really frustrating. Also a real shame that cop chases are linear and timed, especially considering how good the map is.

The problem with the random upgrades are that there will be many times where you do NOT get anything good. I literally got the same or even worse parts for doing some of the races/story missions and it often happened multiple times in a row. The game even did that when I tried rolling for a part as well. Another thing that bugged me was how the cops aren't affected by spike strips or the fact that Corvettes could do 150+ on dirt. Personally, I just don't like when games pull the whole "you can't do that, only we can do that" thing.

It would be nice if the cops were subject to the same rules, however that might be asking too much out of the AI. When you stop and consider how much improvement it has been compared to the last game, it's quite remarkable.

As for the part rolls, I think it's a little less random than what people think. I've notice in these "Let's Play" videos that the system typically gives you a part that's 1-2 levels above the one currently equipped. There are exceptions - as you said it sometimes gives you a part worse than the one you already have. The converse is also true - sometimes it gives you a part that's 4 levels above what you have. But the game tries to simulate upgrading your car in incremental stages by giving you (usually) parts that are better than yours, but not overwhelmingly better.

It's also a little more complex than what some people assume. I wonder how many people are paying attention to the perks attached to the cards and how they are tied to brands. When you roll for a part, you not only have the choice of selecting the type of part, but the brand of the part as well. By locking in the brand, you can build a car focused on specific attributes.

...Also a real shame that cop chases are linear and timed, especially considering how good the map is.

I REALLY wish they would bring back the free-roaming cop chases from MW '05 with the time slow-down (or was that Carbon?) and the pursuit breakers. But I DO still like the idea of having some control over when these sorts of chases occur.

^^^ A good omen because EA is listening to negative feedback about grinding? I don't disagree, and I'm sure a case can be made against developers who artificially elongate a game in order to coax gamers into spending more money. I also agree however, with the guy on that video, in that it seems like people want to essentially "fast forward" a game, but they don't want to pay any premium to do it.

I am roughly the same age as this guy, and that's probably a key factor in what drives my and this guy's opinion. We remember marveling at games on an 8-bit ATARI. When gaming truly became mainstream, games were still incredibly simplistic. They were simple and imperfect and you had to use your imagination and you have to overlook many, many flaws and bugs. Games have evolved to the point where, it seems, people have almost become unforgiving with them. That's just my opinion, and I don't mean to step on anyone's toes around here.

With games that have a multiplayer element especially, it seems like there are an awful lot of snowflakes who expect a game to be perfectly tailored to their particular tastes, and they can't be bothered to actually put any effort into playing the game, and they want it all for free, and darn the developer for actually trying to make a buck. Again, that view is probably because I was exposed to gaming in its infancy, so I'm more inclined to overlook a game's flaws and try to enjoy its strong points as opposed to going on Reddit to express my dissatisfaction. I'm greatly in the minority here, and my views often gets interpreted as hating on haters, when in reality, I'm simply trying to get more people to take a "glass half full" approach.

Age and maturity are major factors when making opinions about the types of thing happening in the gaming world right now....

Shady underhanded tactics or design to try and force my hand to spend money or to fool children into spending thier parents money are unacceptable and should be met with the types of anger and outrage they get. However it seems with a growing amount of the comunity gaming is about the destination or "winning/finishing" not the journey or experiences it gives you.

I could honestly could write pages about what i think of what is going on in the gaming industry right now, but i am in a hotel for two days with only my phone to write on....

I don't like to defend EA or even sound like i might be, but i feel like nfs payback is taking alot of crap it doesn't deserve. The card thing insted of parts is stupid, but massively trivial when looking for things to be upset about. Who cares if it fun to play right, not getting brand name parts is more important, right? And grinding? I don't even barely understand that term, i mean i understand having to repeat the same monotonous task for multiple game sessions as grinding, but having to do some races (IN A RACING GAME) again is not grinding. For example, to build a drift car, i by no means consider it a grind to participate in each drift event once or twice while driving from one to the other accross a beautiful map. That is playing and enjoying the game. I have put probably around 40 hours in the game so far and i dont see myself ever spending a dollar for in game anything, and most importantly i am still having a blast playing it.

With games that have a multiplayer element especially, it seems like there are an awful lot of snowflakes who expect a game to be perfectly tailored to their particular tastes, and they can't be bothered to actually put any effort into playing the game, and they want it all for free, and darn the developer for actually trying to make a buck.

Hot tip: people won't put much stock in your argument if you have to resort to namecalling right off the bat (or strawmen, for that matter).

Developers make a buck — a few of them, actually — off the list price of the game. I'm not one to complain about DLC costing money, as I'm more than willing to give a dev money for continuing to support its game, but artificially extending a game's grind to try and lure players to drop money reeks of greed. In BF2's case, that was 40 hours of play time to unlock just one hero (of which there are many).

From what I've gathered from the various articles and communities talking about it, people aren't asking for everything given to them for free, despite what you suggest. It's about finding a balance: if your game requires multiple hundreds of hours to fully unlock, how many players are going to stick with it versus just give up and move on to something that feels less like work?

The simple question: what's wrong with the plain old credits-for-parts system?* Why do players need to settle for gambling-esque random prizes?

* - yes, you can still buy parts in-game. They're just comparatively expensive, and required if you want to advance through the races.

Last edited:
If you were directing some of that towrds me... my comments were based on my experiances with this game. I am appalled by where the industry that has given me a fantastic hobby for 30+ years is headed. I also am by all means willing to pay for actuall content and or support after a games initial release. EA deserves pretty much all the hate they get, i dont play star wars, but what they tried to pull there does sound ridiculous and stupid, and yet another example of why people hate them. Like the crates or shipments for vanity iteams in nfs. That is what people should be losing thier minds over, not the fact that they tried to do a "different" system for upgrading your car.

The cards thing is dumb, but it's also kinda neat cuse two of the same cars that are both 247 for example could have totally different strenghts and weaknesses based on how you built it for your driving style.

However, the vanity iteams that come in shipments is obviously were there want you to spend your real world cash. The set up almost makes me sick, its pure gambling for kids. As i said these iteams mean almost nothing to me thats why it's not affecting my enjoyment of the game. It does make me even more skeptical of future products from them though

Back