Need For Speed Payback General Discussion

• Thread starter Ameer67
  • 1,566 comments
Need for Speed is basically the racing games equivalent of Sonic the Hedgehog franchise at this point, with developers constantly changing ideas every game (and also the constant change in development team) AND the unpleasable fanbase thinking what era/game was the best – and what the developers should cling to. @CleanCut was right that having a "perfect" NFS game that would please the entire fanbase is impossible.

It's no secret Porsche Unleashed is the counterpart of Sonic Adventure for the NFS fandom. :rolleyes: Anyone willing to make a NFS Cycle chart in the vein of Sonic Cycle meme?

(Parts of this post was originally posted as a comment on PRC, then I saw this thread and decided to repost it here.)

There will probably never be another NFS title that will please everyone. Their are too many opinions on what a good NFS game is.

Quoted for truth. The fact that the Need For Speed franchise has tapped into so many divisions in the racing game genre is both a blessing and a curse for the reception any new title receives. A blessing in the sense it captures attention on a massive scale and a curse through the inevitable dismissal from people who have yet to see any gameplay footage. :rolleyes:

Lets be honest, people would be bitching and moaning no matter what EA/Ghost did.

You build a game that is based on the so called classic aspect of the series? You get the Underground fans whining about how they want customization and more JDM fare.

You base a game around Underground ideas? You get the classic fans whining about all the JDM garbage. (Though they whine about anything that isn't in their narrow wheelhouse, it's like fanboys for Doom / Doom II at this point, so dyed in the wool that they miss the forest for the trees)
Unfortunately, that's just the industry, and is something that plagues most any developer. That does not mean that they can't find idea's that can work well with both camps. Either way, most of the time, the people that would complain about something like that are usually those that are a bit too over the top, not willing to compromise their ideas or opinion one bit.

And remember, Ghost has to build a game as well that appeals to the casual fan as well. The one that doesn't play racing games often. Being here on GTPlanet has shown me that when it comes to how racing games are built by developers, most often, posters here are enclosed in their own little bubble, meaning what they want, is vastly different compared to what the general public wants.
Yep, we are by far the minority here. We're the crazy ones probably :lol:

This isn't meant to defend Ghost or the so called modern NFS games as a whole, as I also have reservations on the game right out of the jump. But Ghost is in a rock and a hard place with many portions of the fan base each having ideas on where the series was 'the best', where the downfall was, and what to do to fix it.
To be honest, I believe the thing that plagued NFS15 was bad design choices, and implementation of features. Post-support was pretty bad, but thats what happens when they try to make everything free, and I had a feeling it would turn out that way.

Simple things like the garage limit, or no manual transmission fall into that catagory as well. As well as the extremely basic features that where implemented into the photomode at a later date. It's odd how all these things are overlooked.

The Cop AI was absolutely horrendous, and really baffling that is what they where content with.

Using customization as a huge selling point, only to find out that the consistency within that was absolutely horrible.

The physics needed a complete workover, to be honest. The issue that people have here is that when they hear that word, they automatically assume everyone's asking for a simulator, but that's not the case at all. They're going backwards.

A lot of things seemed like so much of an afterthought. They definitely need to make more solid, thought out decisions in my opinion.

Quoted for truth. The fact that the Need For Speed franchise has tapped into so many divisions in the racing game genre is both a blessing and a curse for the reception any new title receives. A blessing in the sense it captures attention on a massive scale and a curse through the inevitable dismissal from people who have yet to see any gameplay footage. :rolleyes:
They released a pretty bad game, so I'm confused as to why you think its unheard that people are skeptical of the next iteration being made by the exact same developer? I'm not going to wait for actual gameplay, I'm going to wait until the actual game releases, because sure they can(and have) make things sound good on paper, but they have a hard time hitting that target. They'll get their time of day when we find out if they haven't botched things again.

I think if they just nail the customization aspect, the physics, remove the garage limit, and make sure basic features like manual transmission are there from the get go, they'd likely have a buyer in me.

They released a pretty bad game, so I'm confused as to why you think its unheard that people are skeptical of the next iteration being made by the exact same developer?

Because I view this as a new game. Yes it is being made by the same developer, but being a new game and not simply an expansion means they are not restricted to using the same foundations used in the previous instalment.

The way I see it, Payback could have a heavily reworked handling model and execute other things very differently to how they were done in NFS 2015. This opportunity means that I don't see the significance of highlighting the negative aspects of the previous game to judge the upcoming release, especially when they seem to have addressed a number of them with the initial reveal (offline play, day and night cycle for instance.)

Because I view this as a new game. Yes it is being made by the same developer, but being a new game and not simply an expansion means they are not restricted to using the same foundations used in the previous instalment.
They are largely using assets brought over from the recent iteration, it would be absolutely foolish to throw away what was already there. What should be done is expanding whatever ground work they already have and tweak it accordingly(physics aside). The developers made the last game, they made the choices on things that ended up being pretty bad, so it being a new title doesn't mean much when there is still very much possibility that they can still make bad design choices.

However, now that we aren't being held back by trying to develop a game for current/last gen together, we should see improvements in every aspect of the game.

The way I see it, Payback could have a heavily reworked handling model and execute other things very differently to how they were done in NFS 2015. This opportunity means that I don't see the significance of highlighting the negative aspects of the previous game to judge the upcoming release, especially when they seem to have addressed a number of them with the initial reveal (offline play, day and night cycle for instance.)
How can you see a heavily reworked handling model when they've shown nothing of the sort? Like I said, they can very well make things sound good on paper, but hey, look how NFS15 turned out. We just see things differently.

However, you're telling me that I haven't seen the game so I should at least wait, but you also haven't seen the game but you're already making decisions on could be's. You're assessing the situation no different than me, just on the other side of the spectrum.

However, you're telling me that I haven't seen the game so I should at least wait, but you also haven't seen the game but you're already making decisions on could be's. You're assessing the situation no different than me, just on the other side of the spectrum.

I can agree on that. Just to provide some clarity on my perspective, I was basing my thoughts on the approach Ghost took towards improving NFS 2015 through updates by listening to the community and changing was was possible within the game's framework. Now that they are creating a new game, I am hoping Ghost Games continue that philosophy of using community feedback to create a more enjoyable package without being tied down by the ground work of NFS 2015.

Like I said in the previous installment, I gave Ghost a free pass because its their first time making a NFS game with customization but of course despite their customization being good, the customization didn't save the game from being mediocre due to the physics.

Now for NFS Payback, its their second & last chance for me. If they don't fix the physics by the time we see E3 gameplay, then I'm sorry.

But so far with them announcing things like offline play, etc., I have hope that they fixed the physics.

I can agree on that. Just to provide some clarity on my perspective, I was basing my thoughts on the approach Ghost took towards improving NFS 2015 through updates by listening to the community and changing was was possible within the game's framework. Now that they are creating a new game, I am hoping Ghost Games continue that philosophy of using community feedback to create a more enjoyable package without being tied down by the ground work of NFS 2015.
I'm impartial to that, as that still falls onto bad design choices. The implementation of those features that where demanded by the community was only after months of backlash against said features. A lot of them are things that should have been in the game from the start. I'm not so sure I'd put that under "listening" because there was backlash against things like No Manual and the 5 car limit before the game even came out. Simple things like that get over-looked, which only would have made things much more enjoyable to all involved.

They have so much opportunity right now, I'm just not jumping in until I see some actual post-release info on it.

I disagree with the statement that post support was pretty bad on 2015. Personally I thought it was much better than what you get from most developers. To me what was so baffling was the design choices to begin with. The garage limit, no manual transmission.... those were things that they fixed, sort of... but why were fixes needed in the first place? It's just completely baffling that they would've thought that a racing game wouldn't need a manual transmission, and that people would be fine with just five cars.

It's those sorts of decisions that made it out of the studio to begin with that make me a little worried about the new game. But to be fair, they should've learned their lesson from 2015 about those critical features, and have no excuse to repeat the same mistakes again.

Ultimately, 2015 felt like a grand experiment to me. They claimed it was a reboot, and it was, I suppose, but ultimately felt a little shallow, like it was never intended to be their pride and joy. They tried things, corrected things, tweaked things, and listened to TONS of feedback. Even though it's a shame that they didn't support 2015 longer, and that it had so many flaws to begin with, logic would dictate that they would have learned A LOT about how to make a better game the next time. Here's hoping...

I disagree with the statement that post support was pretty bad on 2015. Personally I thought it was much better than what you get from most developers. To me what was so baffling was the design choices to begin with. The garage limit, no manual transmission.... those were things that they fixed, sort of... but why were fixes needed in the first place? It's just completely baffling that they would've thought that a racing game wouldn't need a manual transmission, and that people would be fine with just five cars.
It makes me wonder why they did not add those features in the first place because it is a standard for any racing game alone to a have those features, arcade or not. Though, you can only dictate a experiment with only test subjects (being us) to see if EA would be happy to lend help to Ghosts in the marketing department or sales I presume.

From the Need for Speed Instagram:

Screenshot_20170607-013510.png

Gameplay will come soon!

And now we wait for that gameplay.
I really hope it's better. Though i can't say much since i never played the 2015 NFS,
but most people complained it's not good.

Unfortunately it's hard to tell a lot about driving physics from gameplay videos. It almost has to be felt in one's own hands to truly tell if it is improved. Nonetheless, it would go a long way for them to show videos and describe in concrete terms what they've done to alter the driving physics.

I hope we'll be able to free-roam in offline single-player, even after the missions and story are all complete. I hope we'll get unlimited space, or at least ample space (get all cars), in our garage. Last, but not least, I hope the cops aren't like NFS Rivals in which the mere sight of a racer car triggered them into maniacal rage mode, in other words, more normal cops.

EDIT: Another good thing would be: finish career, unlimited free upgrades!

I agree on the cops thing. In every game it was the same. "Oh look, a driver is driving a sports car normally on the road, let's run him down."

I would love for a "heat" system to come back like in original Most Wanted.

Also the cops were probably done better in that game than any other. As long as you weren't speeding or otherwise breaking the law and your heat level wasn't up you could drive right by them. The more I think about it, this new game desperately needs a system like that.

Need for Speed is basically the racing games equivalent of Sonic the Hedgehog franchise at this point, with developers constantly changing ideas every game (and also the constant change in development team) AND the unpleasable fanbase thinking what era/game was the best – and what the developers should cling to. @CleanCut was right that having a "perfect" NFS game that would please the entire fanbase is impossible.

It's no secret Porsche Unleashed is the counterpart of Sonic Adventure for the NFS fandom. :rolleyes: Anyone willing to make a NFS Cycle chart in the vein of Sonic Cycle meme?

(Parts of this post was originally posted as a comment on PRC, then I saw this thread and decided to repost it here.)

Off topic, but would Underground be the counterpart of Sonic Adventure for the NFS fandom?

Both are waiting for the third iteration in their respective series, and neither of them will come.

The Run was all linear.
How did it work exactly? Because based on some videos, it doesn't seems to be the kind of NFS i would like to have. If anything, i would rather have Hot Pursuit or Most Wanted 2012 over that.

How did it work exactly? Because based on some videos, it doesn't seems to be the kind of NFS i would like to have. If anything, i would rather have Hot Pursuit or Most Wanted 2012 over that.

It was based around a US wide race, from San Francisco to New York City. The game was divided up into chapters, with each chapter representing a chunk of the route (Chapter 1 was San Francisco to the Inland Empire, Chapter 2 was Yosemite National Park, etc)

The game had three major points in between: Las Vegas, Chicago, and then the finale in NYC to build towards. And in the chapters, it was generally 'races' (Not really races, more or less runs where you had to pass people, think of it like a race in Daytona USA or some similar Sega arcade racer where you were making up the distance) then a couple of checkpoint runs, and then the big race between a self described rival at the end of a chapter, one on one.

It was based around a US wide race, from San Francisco to New York City. The game was divided up into chapters, with each chapter representing a chunk of the route (Chapter 1 was San Francisco to the Inland Empire, Chapter 2 was Yosemite National Park, etc)

The game had three major points in between: Las Vegas, Chicago, and then the finale in NYC to build towards. And in the chapters, it was generally 'races' (Not really races, more or less runs where you had to pass people, think of it like a race in Daytona USA or some similar Sega arcade racer where you were making up the distance) then a couple of checkpoint runs, and then the big race between a self described rival at the end of a chapter, one on one.

Which that 1v1 was completely scripted...

Off topic, but would Underground be the counterpart of Sonic Adventure for the NFS fandom?

Both are waiting for the third iteration in their respective series, and neither of them will come.
Except both of them did get a third game (minus the name), and it ended tragically both times. :lol:

Quite strange as to why so many Need for Speed titles of the past and present have let themselves down in the physics department.

The formula for a successful entry is otherwise so simple.

I hope this won't be the case today.

Latest Posts

Back