Need for Speed Unbound - General Discussion

• Thread starter Famine
  • 740 comments
Art style is definitely bold; feels like something a developer would have to get just right to make it work and with NFS’ history… well, not a whole lot of confidence.

I’m interested but I’ll wait to see some gameplay videos to see how it all looks in real time. It’s an interesting decision, I’ll give them that.

I can overlook the art style if they just make the physics predictable and cohesive. Guess I'll have to wait for a trial to test drive and form my own opinion.

I do like that they are heavily leaning into customizing cars. Curious to see whether its just a few new parts and a few new cars, or a substantial jump over Heat.

Plus "Race against the clock, outrun the cops, and qualify each week for the "Grand," Lakeshore's ultimate street racing challenge. Fill your garage with precision-tuned custom machines, dress in your own unique style and exclusive attire, and light up the streets with a soundtrack that echoes from every corner of the globe.".

Qualify each week?? (does that mean weekly race events like FH playlist weekly events or some sort of online races?)
There seems to be a much higher priority given to clothing (with licensed brands and all, as well as emotes) than the previous game.
Original Soundtrack sounds great in theory. All ears for this one.

As far as artistic style goes, I can see what they're going for but I feel I'm 10 or 15 years too old to be able to enjoy it fully. And I'm 26.

My teenage self probably would've been all over that thing though.

Last edited:
I'm really not a fan. Like I said before, it feels like it's 17 years too late. I would expect this out of 2005, but the style looks way too outdated. Let's hope this is just the marketing and the in game graphics retain a more realistic approach.
Agreed and not only that but I'm not sure if they'll ever be able to recapture the magic of that era.

9e9.gif

This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

Need for Speed Unbound: Images, Location, Release Date, & Special Edition Bonuses Leak

After accidentally revealing the cover art and name for Need for Speed Unbound itself yesterday, EA has another leak on its hands as images and details on the next title in the NFS series have appeared on a retailer website...
It's going to divide opinion, but I love that art style, something a bit different to move away from what we already have. Looking forward to some more details and I meant launch is potentially less than 2 months away so this could he a chunky reveal tomorrow.

I'm glad Khyzyl Saleem is still present. Not sure about smoke effect but I don't mind characters looking. Not really hyped but looks promising.

There's another racing game that did a similar art style present here, which I'm sure not many knows about.
hero

inertial-drift-ign-viv-1601013911359.jpg

20200904095547_1.jpg
So seeing NFS do it isn't really new to me. But because it's NFS, and knowing its history in recent years, I'm really not interested in seeing what they have to show tomorrow after NFS Heat. That game's support left a really sour taste in my mouth...

Last edited:
There's another racing game that did a similar art style present here, which I'm sure not many knows about.
hero

20200904095547_1.jpg
So seeing NFS do it isn't really new to me. But because it's NFS, and knowing its history in recent years, I'm really not interested in seeing what they have to show tomorrow after NFS Heat. That game's support left a really sour taste in my mouth...
Honestly it looks good there. Unbound on the otherhand..

hero

20200904095547_1.jpg
This too, sort of.

1664995703522.png

I honestly think the art style shown in the screenshots looks super sick, and by itself does a great deal to make Unbound stand out from previous entries. The environment itself also looks amazing. The small bookstore behind A$AP Rocky's 190E immediately got my attention, even though it's such a small detail. What I'm most curious about is how the street/anime/cartoon effects interact with general gameplay, and what the options are surrounding them.

Also, while I'm very aware that asset reuse is a standard practice in the video game industry as a whole, I cannot help but notice that we're still using the Charger SRT8 model from NFS Rivals as one of the police cars, which was 9 years ago. I don't think I've seen an LD Charger Highway Patrol Car since probablllyyyyyy 2017, Crown Vics even longer. :crazy:

Last edited:
I'm abit torn. On one hand, its a massive departure and a REALLY bold decision visually. On the other hand, its actually refreshing to see an Arcade racer visually make such a massive distinction and not be another generic ultra realistic game as I kinda feel lately it's come to a point where you have to question what's the difference (Which can sorta be said also about Sim Racing, but that's for another topic..or a future video...)

kjb
I think it has a chance to be good. Hopefully EA supports it better than they did with Heat
I could've sworn that Heat had at least some cars planned - I recall there being a datamine with some K.S.-designed bodykits for vehicles that didn't have them at the (seemingly untimely) end of Heat's life. Covid-19 likely didn't help, either.

Either way, I think this one has potential, and I do wish it the best, and especially that it becomes the first NFS title in a decade to break above 80 on Metacritic.

Last edited:
Is there a typo in the title?
is it really NFS Unbound or maybe it should be NFS Un-der-bound 😂

Part of me likes the fact that the game is trying to do something a little different to what seems to have become the "default" for driving games recently.

Part of me looks at those images and goes eeeeuuuuuugh

kjb
I think it has a chance to be good. Hopefully EA supports it better than they did with Heat

Heat seem to have a lot of content planned but was rumoured that Heat was way behind schedule for its post launch content, it took months for the first pack to release then EA move NFS to Criterion during the start of Covid killed the remaining of the content plan.

Based on what the community found in the files, there were supposed to be 3 more KS cars:
  • Lamborghini Countach
  • Land Rover Defender
  • Lamborghini Aventador

Then from artist portfolio, the second content pack was suppose to be KS Aventador and Bugatti Chiron:
YDmDEG4_d.webp

There was also a tie in 1/64 scale model of a Rocket Bunny Nissan S14 for NFS Heat too:
CBWyQbl_d.webp

Seeing that S14 did appear in the leak screenshots (blue car), I guess these new cars should be in Unbound too.

Last edited:
Back