Need for Speed Unbound - General Discussion

• Thread starter Famine
  • 751 comments
Honestly don't even know if you're being serious. Criterions games are some of the most competent NFS games done, particularly hot pursuit. Codemasters hot take is your opinion but Grid 2 is probably the worst thing Codemasters have made aside from Dirt Showdown and The Run wasn't really focused on racing because it was attached to a terrible story with terrible cut scenes and scripted driving sections.
HP (and all subsequent Criterion NFS) where if you lightly tap anything in the game a 5-10 second cutscene of a takedown crash is triggered and drifting around corners is faster than turning. Okay. Oh and in Most Wanted's remake you couldn't choose a car color LOL. Had to drive into a gas station an infinite number of times hoping to get the color you wanted.

The Run had a ****** story but who's playing NFS for that? The game had the perfect simcade balance and dedicated trials with leaderboards. The closest thing to it since was Driveclub.

I judge these games mostly based on the multiplayer and how easy it is to access events. Open world should be optional.

edit

BTW I actually KINDA liked payback. If only it had a decent progression system.

Last edited:
I always get lured-into the hype of new NFS games. In this case, the art style and customisation looks amazing. My excitement will inevitably fall flat on its face the moment I get an hour into the game and I realise the developers didn't get around to finishing basic mechanics.

Heat for example did not have configurable controls, so the gear downshift button was also doubled as the 'bribe police' button during pursuits. Was not great to see my hard-earned prize money vanish every time I went to change gear.

That's just one example, but it made me wonder if they ever do basic testing before releasing the final version. I hope to be proven wrong this time.

Last edited:
Heat for example did not have configurable controls, so the gear downshift button was also doubled as the 'bribe police' button during pursuits. Was not great to see my hard-earned prize money vanish every time I went to change gear.
FWIW, that was fixed in a later patch. Secondary LB/RB functions required you to press and hold the button to activate them.

Never mind the visuals, the gameplay sounds the same as Heat.
I just hope at least the handling's changed.

Still though the animated smoke and graffiti effects just looks weird to me. Showed it to a couple of my friends who enjoys NFS and even they thought it looks odd.

I have always been a fan of the NFS games and there have been some shockers, but also some great, leave your brain by the door, games.

I thoroughly enjoyed Heat and even bought it again for the PS5 when there were not many racing games to play.

Gonna remain open minded for this one until I get my hands on it - although not liking the OTT smoke effects and star spangled wheel covers........

Think it looks pretty good tbh, it would be nice to see something over the top for a change and NFS has always been more about glossy, silly fun than realism.

Personally liked Heat a lot so definitely interested in this one.

I am torn apart with this. One side thinks it looks kinda cool and fresh, definitely it will be one remembered and divisive NFS entry. On the other side... I will really miss darker tones of NFS titles.

The cartoon-ish smoke is the only thing I find it weird but it looks slightly better than The Crew 2 attempt on flashy effect smokes based on those screenshots.

Car customisation looks great so far, parts on the S14 and Eclipse looks ridiculous and it is what I want in NFS.

I feel like retiring from playing Cruis'n Blast and Asphalt 9: Legends when Need For Speed Unbound and Test Drive Unlimited Solar Crown comes out.

Man, it seems like we'll never get a proper high budget nextgen racer that blows us away visually. Same fate as fighting games I guess, low sales and reluctance to invest in technology. Big shame.

The cars look pretty cool, I like the style they're going with for the mods in the screenshots. I'm going to hold off on talking about my thoughts on the cartoon style effects until I've seen them in motion, it works well for the characters though. It's pretty cool to see A$AP Rocky in there too!

I'm getting some Own The City vibes with that new NFS... All I need is either PC or either two new console.

Man, it seems like we'll never get a proper high budget nextgen racer that blows us away visually. Same fate as fighting games I guess, low sales and reluctance to invest in technology. Big shame.
I'd hold that judgement till we see it in motion. Believe this is the first next gen racer that is next gen only, no older consoles to hold it back. You say we'll never get it, but we might just be about to..

Disgusting art style. I hope these super-cool, modern, funny-as-hell ingame effects are optional. What's next? A battle royale mode?

Disgusting art style. I hope these super-cool, modern, funny-as-hell ingame effects are optional. What's next? A battle royale mode?
I guess the problem is everyone is looking for something new to come to the genre. But when something comes it proves divisive. Look at things like Blur, didn't sell well at the time despite being absolutely amazing and offering something new with a distinctive art style. Now everyone's clamouring for a remake or a sequel.

I honestly think the art style shown in the screenshots looks super sick, and by itself does a great deal to make Unbound stand out from previous entries. The environment itself also looks amazing. The small bookstore behind A$AP Rocky's 190E immediately got my attention, even though it's such a small detail. What I'm most curious about is how the street/anime/cartoon effects interact with general gameplay, and what the options are surrounding them.

Also, while I'm very aware that asset reuse is a standard practice in the video game industry as a whole, I cannot help but notice that we're still using the Charger SRT8 model from NFS Rivals as one of the police cars, which was 9 years ago. I don't think I've seen an LD Charger Highway Patrol Car since probablllyyyyyy 2017, Crown Vics even longer. :crazy:
Maybe, just maybe, Lakeshore City's police department got defunded. Either that or they're blowing their money on APCs.

I guess the problem is everyone is looking for something new to come to the genre. But when something comes it proves divisive. Look at things like Blur, didn't sell well at the time despite being absolutely amazing and offering something new with a distinctive art style. Now everyone's clamouring for a remake or a sequel.
I don't think we really need new art style. Main problem is uninspiring level design and boring gameplay loop.

I don't really follow EA like I use to but didn't that engine cause problems for BF2042 and Heat?

That engine has always been a problem with EA games due to its complexity. DICE made the engine and they are still having problems with it.

Don’t remember any Frostbite issue with Heat but I think PC port has some nasty bugs at launch.

I think it looks great in action!

WTH, this was supposed to be 4pm UK time!

Leaked their own title, got the contents and launch leaked by a store, then sent out the reveal trailer early... I can't even.

Last edited:
Not bad, I'm surprised it's launching so soon. I'll probably wait for the initial reception of it.

Back