Network Incompatibility has me ticked off

United States
Indiana
camaroyenko
No....just no.
I can join one room, then a couple minutes later, I get disconnected. Then I can't rejoin ANY room because of incompatibility. This just started last night. I cleared my cache and all that. What's the deal?

Just one of the things you have to put up with thanks to non-dedicated servers.

If it continues run a connection test, restart your PS3 or restart your modem then try connecting.

TRy resetting your modem, trying different modem settings, turning of ALL other internet activity, male ur ps3 the only thing connected to your internet, and use ethernet not wifi

Check your NAT Type. If it's Type 3, then there's your problem. This can be easily fixed if you use a router. I wish I could give you the steps to follow, but don't know much about computers. It can be fixed by something called port forwarding. Google is a great source for guides on this.

I only have 2MB of speed and never had any problems online, so I don't think it's your speed. Also, as other people mentioned, use an ethernet cable to plug your PS3 into your modem or router instead of WiFi.

This happens to me all the time except it started when GT6 came out.

My brain just melted...

ur internet is too slow

Not the best diagnostic I've seen and mostly fallacious. Completing the handshake with a room session is not speed dependent (presuming that the connection remains 'up').

OP, can you check your NAT settings? Google for more info ;)

Use PortForward.com to find the instructions to forward the appropriate ports directly to your primary gaming device (in this case your PS3). If your NAT is correct then start eliminating network problems.

Try connecting to the router with a cable if you're using wireless (especially if, like in the UK, some areas use a company with a VERY noisy standard router), also try to ensure that as few other devices are sharing the outbound connection while you're gaming.

Hope some of that helps!

I try to avoid fixed host rooms as much as possible but a friend recently began using the fixed host option and ever since then his rooms have become a lagfest with many disconnects.

your friends internet connection sucks.

a fixed host lobby relies on the host's connection being able to talk to each user

a non-fixed host lobby relies on each user being able to talk to each user

a fixed host lobby with a host that has a good connection to each of the users will be more stable than a non-fixed.

OP, first step is to figure what you NAT type is and go from there.

Last edited by a moderator:
The issue with being fixed, at least as I understand PD's explanation, Is that everyone connects to the host, and the hosts connection then sends out all of the info that needs to be shipped around to others in the lobby. So if you have a host in LA, a player in Miami and another in Boston, then the data for tracking cars and all that, must travel from Miami, to LA, then back to Boston. Savvy? So if the host as a piss poor connection, EVERYONE is going to suffer. However, in a not fixed room, everyone connects to everyone else. So any one person can lag, and only the guy lagging is going to be an issue. With fixed, if you have a guy racing that is poorly connected, and having lots of data packet loss can also cause the TCP function on the hosts network to over work, slowing down other processes and essentially lag out the room as well. I get what PD was going for by using a peer based networking system like this, instead of using dedicated servers. It frees them of a LOT of resources. However, this is the basic issue with running peer based networks. Its great for downloading music. It sucks for running streaming data like this.

I've always hated fixed lobbies because if the host has to leave, or even disconnects, you ALL get booted out.

but they are more stable.

I try to avoid fixed host rooms as much as possible but a friend recently began using the fixed host option and ever since then his rooms have become a lagfest with many disconnects.
then your friend has not good enough internet.
If the hosts upload speed is decent its the better option.

both: here is why:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...-lobbies-in-gran-turismo-5-with-tests.284643/
this is for gt5 but the same goes for 6.

but they are more stable.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...-lobbies-in-gran-turismo-5-with-tests.284643/
this is for gt5 but the same goes for 6.
Thats really only basic understanding. Same with the game manual. It is only giving a very vague notion of what is going on. To say "fixed host is better unless you connection sucks" is only part of the story. When a packet of data (a stream of data is in all actually a lot of little packets being sent toy our computer, not actually a "stream".) So when one of these packets leave your PS3, it hits first your router (assuming NAT 2) then hits your modem. from there it runs down the coax line for a few hundered feet until it gets to converter box that will take all of the analog feeds in your neighborhood and swtichs it to digital and sends it down the fiber train. Then it gets to your ISP's main :Station, where it is then routed out to where it needs to go out one the internet. Along the way it hits a number of routers (max is I believe 61 or 62 before a packet is deleted) until it gets to its destination. This is why ping is so much more important than upload and download speeds. If along the way, some peoples data hits a slower router, or has to travel through areas with a lot of traffic, then ping rates will be way higher for those people than others. and if the final stretch to the host is that choke point, then everyone is going to have an issue. There is more to hosting then just bandwidth speed.

Now, just to address the OP: I believe this is a bug in GT6. We have found over in SNAIL that when a room is set to friends only, and you get booted, you can't get back into the room. It will give a full room error. I believe it was happening to some fashion in regular rooms as well.

Last edited:
Thats really only basic understanding. Same with the game manual. It is only giving a very vague notion of what is going on. To say "fixed host is better unless you connection sucks" is only part of the story. When a packet of data (a stream of data is in all actually a lot of little packets being sent toy our computer, not actually a "stream".) So when one of these packets leave your PS3, it hits first your router (assuming NAT 2) then hits your modem. from there it runs down the coax line for a few hundered feet until it gets to converter box that will take all of the analog feeds in your neighborhood and swtichs it to digital and sends it down the fiber train. Then it gets to your ISP's main :Station, where it is then routed out to where it needs to go out one the internet. Along the way it hits a number of routers (max is I believe 61 or 62 before a packet is deleted) until it gets to its destination. This is why ping is so much more important than upload and download speeds. If along the way, some peoples data hits a slower router, or has to travel through areas with a lot of traffic, then ping rates will be way higher for those people than others. and if the final stretch to the host is that choke point, then everyone is going to have an issue. There is more to hosting then just bandwidth speed.
yes I know how networks operate (btw what you describe as the max amount of routers a packet hits is called TimeToLive for IPv4 or HopsToLive for IPv6 and its value is what you want it to be, its not predefined). You know, stream was not ment literally. But how exactly is that relevant for my point?
Yes you need a good connection, I said that myself. When I only mentioned good upload speed I assumed that good latency is given, because if you have such a high latency that it is the cause for lag (unlikely, its way more likely to be a bandwidth issue if he can play fine but everyone lags as soon as he is the host) you should reconsider playing latency critical games such as racing and shooters alltogether.
Low Latency and enough bandwidth is needed. But if you do have it than hosting a lobby as fixed host gives a more stable experience for everyone because one does not have to worry about everybody else's connection to him but only about a single one. From him to the host.

yes I know how networks operate (btw what you describe as the max amount of routers a packet hits is called TimeToLive for IPv4 or HopsToLive for IPv6 and its value is what you want it to be, its not predefined). You know, stream was not ment literally. But how exactly is that relevant for my point?
Yes you need a good connection, I said that myself. When I only mentioned good upload speed I assumed that good latency is given, because if you have such a high latency that it is the cause for lag (unlikely, its way more likely to be a bandwidth issue if he can play fine but everyone lags as soon as he is the host) you should reconsider playing latency critical games such as racing and shooters alltogether.
Low Latency and enough bandwidth is needed. But if you do have it than hosting a lobby as fixed host gives a more stable experience for everyone because one does not have to worry about everybody else's connection to him but only about a single one. From him to the host.
Don't go getting your panties in a bunch buddy. I was just explaining, in what we call laymans terms, that bandwidth is not exactly the prime issue, and to give a little more background to the info you were putting out. I wasn't trying to contradict you or anything. Coming from another country, YMMV, however, in America, the general issue is not bandwidth. I do not believe anyone is on dial up anymore, and even most farming communities that don;t have access to cable/dsl, run off of "4G." networks. One of the prime reasons everyone is told to go from a wireless to a wired connection is due to the fact that a wireless connection can see a huge difference in latency from one moment to the next. Most wireless networks will operate around 24mbps. which I would guess is a little higher than what the average person is getting from their ISP. But the average person will also have enough bandwidth to play. From the experience we have in SNAIL, a fairly robust GT racing league, that has run countless races for nearly 3 years now, I can express with a fair amount of certainty that the general issue people have in regards to connection issues comes down to equipment, or routing, which would lead back to equipment, some of which you have control over, most of which you don't. I've seen people with as little as 2mbps up and down have no connection issues, and people with 20 up and 50 down have constent lag and disco issues. Speed is important, but only to a small point. Even DSL should handle to job well, so long as you can get a decent ping time. if your ISP, or in the case of a fixed host, if their ISP has crap equipment, or noise in the line, etc. then all the speed won't matter. To say that bandwidth is the issue is short sighted and, granting some exception, typically not true. This is why such great write ups about port forwarding exsist and help a great deal, this is why everyone is asking for NAT type, and not internet speeds.
For another great example of how ping, or latency, affects rooms, go into a room with people from various countries. I promise, 90% of the lag in that room will not be caused by bandwidth.

Talking past or not happy being contradicted? I have lots and lots of experience on my side to back this up. While bandwidth can be an issue, typically, it's not. Generally its equipment(hardware/software) or latency issues that cause problems, not bandwidth. No one uses dial up, and even "4G" (quoted because I do not believe any of the major wireless telecom providers actually meet the IEEE 4G standard) is plenty fast enough for solid online play. However, it is not necissarily stable enough. I don't think we are talking past each other at all. We are disagreeing about the cause of the same point. Thats not talking past one another. To counter a cliche with a cliche, that is just not seeing eye to eye.

As you see in the link I provided I ran some test. In a fixed host lobby with 10 players, 3 with headset and 3 additional just watching the race the maximum outgoing traffic for the host goes to 1700Kb. means you need a 2MBit upstream connection to not oversaturate you line. Oversaturete connections cause lag. For everyone in the lobby.
If you go with a full lobby, very goog race quality and with everyone using headset I extrapolate a upstream bandwidth of 4Mbit. And that is not the norm here. Maybe its for America, I dont know.
Participating in a full non fixed host lobby only takes 700kbit max upstream and in a full lobby with fixed host even pnly 250kbit.
latency is the same, equipement is the same. The main difference between hosting a fixed host lobby versus participating in a lobby is upload bandwidth.

The thing is, if he has only problems with lag when he is hosting a fixed host lobby and not when he is only participating in a lobby its more likely a saturation issue of his upstream bandwidth. If it would be a latency or equipement issue he would lag always, regardless of who is the host. Because bad equipement/latency is bad equipement/latency regardless of what he is doing.

yes, nat type and incompatibilities between networks or bad equipement is an issue, but i a lobby with fixed host you only need to establish one single connection (to the host) other than to every single player in the lobby where problems are far more likely to occure (non visible cars, not able to hear each other, diconnections, problems joing the lobby). Becasue every single peer needs a compatible connection to every other peer, whereas in fixed host lobbys you need only a single compatible connection.

Last edited:
The average speed in the US is just under 9mbps. So even if we need 4mbps speed to keep from causing saturation, then most people are not going to need to worry. Since the OP is from the US, I think we can conclude that this is the case.
[quote="steiner, post: 9337862, member: 128753If you go with a full lobby, very goog race quality and with everyone using headset I extrapolate a upstream bandwidth of 4Mbit. And that is not the norm here. Maybe its for America, I dont know.
Participating in a full non fixed host lobby only takes 700kbit max upstream and in a full lobby with fixed host even pnly 250kbit.
latency is the same, equipement is the same. The main difference between hosting a fixed host lobby versus participating in a lobby is upload bandwidth.

[/quote]
Again, speaking from countless experiences, this time from GT5, (I don't think the actual network engine was really changed so it should hold true for GT6) We required all mics to be muted after 14 people joined. We spent a lot of time testing setting (over a year, not a day or two) and throwing around theories and being very scientific about it all. We found that regardless of connectivity, once a room hit 14 drivers, the room would start to suffer from lag spikes. If we had a full room, trying to run mics, the whole lobby would become unstable, everything from physics to mics suffered, and more often then not would end with the whole room crashing. We found that turning all mics off during the race greatly reduced the issues. This was in a non fixed room as well. This to me speaks of issues outside of a persons actual internet speed, and more to what the machine can actually handle.
There is one caviat though that I feel worth mentioning, that actually holds credence to what you are saying. I've noticed that the internet speed post when I test my connection speed on my PS3, through the network setup options, my speed is markedly slower than my actual speed. My actual speed is roughly 54mbps down and 19 up, depending on the temp, moon cycle, rain, etc. However, on the PS3, it reports a speed closer to 8mbps down and around 3 up. There is certainly some sort of restriction, either in the machine, or going through sonys servers. Either case, it is not the actual ISP bandwidth rate that is the issue, it once again will boil down to equipment and/or latency.

@Camaroyenko are you still experiencing this issue? Where are you located? (Rhetorical, don't need to answer) Do you think itis possible that you "node" was experiencing high volume of usage and possibly killing you bandwidth? One think that gets missed often too is that bandwidth is shared. Any copper line can only transmit x amount of data, same with fiber, though, hitting fibers limits are far less likely. But, if you are in a rural area, or an area that has yet to upgrade to fiber, then it is possible you were seeing a lot of traffic, which can cause issue too.

See, this is my point, there is SOOOO much going on that you can't just say "Its your bandwidth" without having anything more than "Why do I keep getting disconnected?"

We found that regardless of connectivity, once a room hit 14 drivers, the room would start to suffer from lag spikes. If we had a full room, trying to run mics, the whole lobby would become unstable, everything from physics to mics suffered, and more often then not would end with the whole room crashing. We found that turning all mics off during the race greatly reduced the issues. This was in a non fixed room as well. This to me speaks of issues outside of a persons actual internet speed, and more to what the machine can actually handle.
Interresting. Did you try it in fixed host lobbies, too?

we also had issies with headset usage when we played in a lobby without a fixed host.. Once we switched to fixed host these problems have completly gone away. If there is an issue its isolatede to a single player but it doesnt affect the other players in the lobby.

No, we used fixed lobbies once, but had horrible issues, and if someone got disconnected, they couldn't get back into the room. They would get the "room full" error, despite a room that wasn't full. This being in gt6. We ran private lobbies in gt5.

i had this "room full" issue only with people I just added when the lobby was allready open. that is for private fixed host.

I guess this issue will be fixed..

Back